PDA

View Full Version : Lights! Camera! Action!

ajaygahlawat
March 12th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Right then,

Misleading subject? I think so as well, but I leave it to you to judge.

I have been observing for the past few months that we all passionately want to fix a ton of things, but don't quiet know how to. Great thing gang! But for now I see more smoke than fire. (I might be adding some more smoke by this post :) ).

I wanted to throw some light on how to get the camera rolling. We all have some great thoughts, but a lot of us are not able to action those. There are a lot of reasons for these not happening and there are a lot of solutions. But one thing is sure that till we execute it, nothing is going to happen. (Kisne dekhya swarg, Bharthari, aapa mare bina - by Bharthari ) .

Let me in this post note my assumptions about the hinderences. They are my questions, and my expectations of an answer from us simultaneously.

[Since I did a bit of introspection to get the questions, and the answers, there was a confusion about when to use I and when to use you. To resolve that, the questions below are being asked by me, but could have been anyone. And the answers are by us all. I have tried to capture what we as a group would like happening, just my guess of it though]

My Issue : Nobody understands me/ I don't have enough traction for my idea(s)
That is not true. Although all of us are not able to go through every post to reply, we do understand you. And we do agree with you more often than not. Just that our day jobs don't allow us to acknowledge each one of your posts. But if you need something to get executing with your idea, fire away. And remember, the shorter the list, the quicker we get back to you. :)

My Issue : Right but you can't expect me to give a ready made idea before discussing.
Well, discussion is a good first step. But it would help if you started a discussion with enough data, and a well presented agenda that explained your motivations, and expected outcome. We would also expect that you concluded the discussion with a product in the form of at the very least a list of action items on yourself, and then updated us on progress as you went along.

My Issue : I have presented my ideas before. There are no objections, but there is no support either. I have no clues whether my post was workable, or absolute trash
We are aware of it. Quiet often it is the case that some of us have not been able to add much value to what you have already said. But we shall make an effort to say that we think it is a good idea whenever we agree with you. If we forget to do that, can you please request direct yes/no vote on clearly phrased question(s)?

My Issue : I don't have enough execution experience.
If you are bothered by that thought, then it is a good sign. It means that you are in a position to ask the right question. Fire away.. what do you have on your mind?

We are such a large and diverse group to have enough brain power, experience, and willingness on this forum to help you find the right way of going about it.

My Issue : I don't have enough time.
Welcome to the club! Do you know of possible ways of splitting the work? I am sure we can find you the people that are as passionate as you are about your cause. There are a ton of collaboration tools that are available in the digital era, and we are sure we can help set your team up with all the infrastructure level issues like technology, process etc.

My Issue : I don't have enough time/resources to put up. Should I shut up?
That is very considerate of you. But no, don't trash it. Since you have already gone through a lot of the thought process and have a fair idea of how to go about doing it, why don't you document it. I am sure we would one day find someone who has the time and resources to do it. Then he/she would not have to do all that work again.

My Issue : But there is no good place to document it.
We are aware that the message archives are not very good place to put the finished products. But till now we have not come across any finished products. If you have a finished/intermediate product of your thought, then we are happy to create you an area where you can put the document. We can even help you identify people who could help resolved the unresolved issues.

My Issue : I am not quiet able to structure my thoughts on paper. Is there a template for such a document.
Short answer no. Not yet. But there are a few of us who are working on it. But the needs are so diverse that no single template can work for all ideas. I am sure we can help you define the structure of your thoughts. Do you want to join us in choosing the documentation templates though? You should contact <yet to be determined> in this regard. Just send your initial thoughts to <him/her> and <he/she> would be able to guide you to the next step.

My Issue : I know my stuff. Why should I listen to anyone in this regard.
Actually you don't have to if it does not seem to help. Infact you should let us know if you have better ideas. We need leaders who know how to lead from the front. We would also be interested in knowing how exactly could we help you better.

<blanked out right now> <will have to continue after getting some heat (, or better light,) on the above thoughts>

ajaygahlawat
March 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM
My answer to our wishes ..

But it would help if you started a discussion with enough data, and a well presented agenda that explained your motivations, and expected outcome.

My motivations for this thread are to initiate a discussion about how can we strengthen the execution side, and hence increase the contribution of this forum to improve things around.

The style chosen is such that it can be directly directly converted to a set of FAQs ( frequently asked questions ) covering the larger subject "how to be an ideal jatlander" and the more specific subject "how to get the most out of jatland".

Can we please post our unanswered questions here. It would be even better if a solution accompanied the question. A solution on behalf of all of us. We can then request amendment should we feel that we can not commit to what is promised in the answer. The same is true for the initial set of issues posted in the first post.

devdahiya
March 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Right then,

Misleading subject? I think so as well, but I leave it to you to judge.

I have been observing for the past few months that we all passionately want to fix a ton of things, but don't quiet know how to. Great thing gang! But for now I see more smoke than fire. (I might be adding some more smoke by this post :) ).

I wanted to throw some light on how to get the camera rolling. We all have some great thoughts, but a lot of us are not able to action those. There are a lot of reasons for these not happening and there are a lot of solutions. But one thing is sure that till we execute it, nothing is going to happen. (Kisne dekhya swarg, Bharthari, aapa mare bina - by Bharthari ) .

Let me in this post note my assumptions about the hinderences. They are my questions, and my expectations of an answer from us simultaneously.

[Since I did a bit of introspection to get the questions, and the answers, there was a confusion about when to use I and when to use you. To resolve that, the questions below are being asked by me, but could have been anyone. And the answers are by us all. I have tried to capture what we as a group would like happening, just my guess of it though]

My Issue : Nobody understands me/ I don't have enough traction for my idea(s)
That is not true. Although all of us are not able to go through every post to reply, we do understand you. And we do agree with you more often than not. Just that our day jobs don't allow us to acknowledge each one of your posts. But if you need something to get executing with your idea, fire away. And remember, the shorter the list, the quicker we get back to you. :)

My Issue : Right but you can't expect me to give a ready made idea before discussing.
Well, discussion is a good first step. But it would help if you started a discussion with enough data, and a well presented agenda that explained your motivations, and expected outcome. We would also expect that you concluded the discussion with a product in the form of at the very least a list of action items on yourself, and then updated us on progress as you went along.

My Issue : I have presented my ideas before. There are no objections, but there is no support either. I have no clues whether my post was workable, or absolute trash
We are aware of it. Quiet often it is the case that some of us have not been able to add much value to what you have already said. But we shall make an effort to say that we think it is a good idea whenever we agree with you. If we forget to do that, can you please request direct yes/no vote on clearly phrased question(s)?

My Issue : I don't have enough execution experience.
If you are bothered by that thought, then it is a good sign. It means that you are in a position to ask the right question. Fire away.. what do you have on your mind?

We are such a large and diverse group to have enough brain power, experience, and willingness on this forum to help you find the right way of going about it.

My Issue : I don't have enough time.
Welcome to the club! Do you know of possible ways of splitting the work? I am sure we can find you the people that are as passionate as you are about your cause. There are a ton of collaboration tools that are available in the digital era, and we are sure we can help set your team up with all the infrastructure level issues like technology, process etc.

My Issue : I don't have enough time/resources to put up. Should I shut up?
That is very considerate of you. But no, don't trash it. Since you have already gone through a lot of the thought process and have a fair idea of how to go about doing it, why don't you document it. I am sure we would one day find someone who has the time and resources to do it. Then he/she would not have to do all that work again.

My Issue : But there is no good place to document it.
We are aware that the message archives are not very good place to put the finished products. But till now we have not come across any finished products. If you have a finished/intermediate product of your thought, then we are happy to create you an area where you can put the document. We can even help you identify people who could help resolved the unresolved issues.

My Issue : I am not quiet able to structure my thoughts on paper. Is there a template for such a document.
Short answer no. Not yet. But there are a few of us who are working on it. But the needs are so diverse that no single template can work for all ideas. I am sure we can help you define the structure of your thoughts. Do you want to join us in choosing the documentation templates though? You should contact <yet to be determined> in this regard. Just send your initial thoughts to <him/her> and <he/she> would be able to guide you to the next step.

My Issue : I know my stuff. Why should I listen to anyone in this regard.
Actually you don't have to if it does not seem to help. Infact you should let us know if you have better ideas. We need leaders who know how to lead from the front. We would also be interested in knowing how exactly could we help you better.

<blanked out right now> <will have to continue after getting some heat (, or better light,) on the above thoughts>

My dear Ajay,

What you have written out here has a depth and logic and we all should try evaluate our thoughts that way and i am more than sure that answer to any confused thought will emerge sooner than later . Thread has merit and needs to be discussed in right earnest, with a positive frame of mind.

ALL THE BEST.

ajaygahlawat
March 15th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Dev Sir,

Looks like it is just the two of us. So, let me know when you have a positive frame of mind, and the right earnest. For me these things happen on the weekend. :)

Cheers,
Ajay

My dear Ajay,

What you have written out here has a depth and logic and we all should try evaluate our thoughts that way and i am more than sure that answer to any confused thought will emerge sooner than later . Thread has merit and needs to be discussed in right earnest, with a positive frame of mind.

ALL THE BEST.

devdahiya
March 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM
My dear Ajay,

Time can be of your choosing!

Thanx

ajaygahlawat
March 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM
Shooting temporarily suspended. Some script changes necessary.