PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry about funding scenario in Illinois Institute of technology, chicago

harish
March 14th, 2005, 12:02 AM
hi to all in group,
I am a chemical undergrad. from NIT, Warangal. I got an admit call from IIT,CHICAGO in Phd FOR fall-05. If any 'haryanvi bhai' is there in Chicago or any other university who knows how to go about this funding issue in US. universities. I adopted age old funda of mailing to Profs in deptt. but no one is reponding. Can one manage something if he goes without aid, i mean atleast sufficient enough to survive. please answer my query if any one can????
Harish V. :confused: :confused: :confused:
.................................................. .........................
.................................................. .........................

birbal
March 14th, 2005, 12:36 AM
It is very surprising to know that you have been admitted to a Ph.D. program without full funding. I have never seen this before because admission to Ph.D. implies funding. You may have some explanation as to why this has happened, i.e. did they misunderstand that you are being financed by some other source (no one gets into a Ph.D. program at own expense)?

harish
March 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
It is very surprising to know that you have been admitted to a Ph.D. program without full funding. I have never seen this before because admission to Ph.D. implies funding. You may have some explanation as to why this has happened, i.e. did they misunderstand that you are being financed by some other source (no one gets into a Ph.D. program at own expense)?

Thanks for reply DR. birbal,
Actually, i have till now got admit call only and application is still being reviewed for funding issue. I am expecting the result any time. I was not aware of the fact as u told that " How did they admit u without aid in PhD". If that is the case, i must get soon something from the department. No, i have not shown them any interest like i can support myself finacially. I posted query to know general answer that " Towhat extent a PROF.'S CONTACT PLAYS ROLE IN GETTING FUNDING". I mean if he is not a member of selection commmittee, but just a faculty-- can he help???
HARISH V.
.................................................. ............................................

birbal
March 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM
If you get admission in a Ph.D. program you will get funding.

sandeepmehla
March 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Now a days in some of the universities in Phd program they dont give
funding on I-20 but when u register for courses n other stuffs u "ll get
funding .

harish
March 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
yaa u might be true Mr. mehla....i m still waiting for funding results....

jtsagi
March 22nd, 2005, 03:55 AM
There are lots of desis at IIT, Chicago and you would be better off contacting them. If I remember correctly they have an Indian Student Organization there and you should be able to get contact information of students through their website. Just start flooding their emails with your inquiries and I am sure some of them will get back to you.

harish
March 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks a lot Mr. jatin..its so nice of u to reply..yeap!! m trying that thing also n getting appreciable number of replies.
regards
harish v.