PDA

View Full Version : Visa Woes

harish
March 16th, 2005, 02:46 AM
hi to all,
I am an undergrad from NITW(Chem. Engg.) and soon going to US for my M.S+PhD for the Fall-05 term . I have a few queries about applying for VISA . PLease answer whoever knows exactly.

0.First & foremost, Is there any need at all to go behind consultants for VISA issue?? (i mean vaan nirre pisse thage sain ki kimme help bhi karen sai)???

1. Why do these US people reject many a times on arbit reasons ( I know a hell lot of cases of seniors).--Is there no sure shot way to get it at first time itself.???

2. On a particular I-20, HOW many times can we apply if rejected once.???

3. Does Visa permission depend on whether u r going to a very high ranked univ. or low ranked one???

4. Is it true that people going for PhD have to give more convincing reasons of coming back to home country than those going for masters.???

5. What other imp. information about financial funds we have to show during interview.???

6. Does this effect if ur sponsor is someone else other than ur parents???

HARISH :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
.................................................. ................................................
.................................................. ...........................

harish
March 17th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Is group ke saare logon ko raam raam,
i have posted this query of mine since last 4 days....and i noted that so manny people in group are in US and universities..still i am not getting even a single answer to my queries....kuch help karo yaar
harish

birbal
March 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Harish,

The people on this site who are in USA are not in a position to answer your question because they were granted the Visa and obviously do not know why some people are rejected.

I am not in a position to answer this question either but can only speculate. The people denied Visa might have appeared 'suspect' to the immigration officers who are not very bright to begin with. I tell you from my own experience as I live in Canada just across from the US border on the Lake Superior. For many years we went for lunch or dinner on the US side as the drive on the Lake Superior from Thunder Bay to Duluth is just beautiful. But since 9/11 it is not fun to cross the border. Unless I find some Customs Officer who knows me from past, there is a long list of silly questions I have to answer.

I think you may draw better conclusion from talking to people who were rejected for Visa.

opchoudhary07
March 18th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Hello Harish,

Please don't get frustrated. Read all the paperwork you have got along with your I-20. This will be a good place to start. Collect all the documents they have asked for. Prepare well for the visa interview. Do a brainstorming session with your colleagues about the type of questions consular may ask and how you will respond to him. Go through a real drill with your associates. Many time you can’t conceptualize the answers well. Answers should be convincing, not built on a false pretence. DON’T LIE to the consular officer. DON”T VOLUNTIER information or say anything until asked. DON’T be nervous (if you are sweating is very bad sign for consular!). DO NOT show anxiety. Lot of questions are asked on the financial support documents. Have you got any assistantship from the University? Even small amount of assistantship help in a big way in getting visa. If you are coming to US on a self financial support, you must have a very tight documentation. If you are taking bank loan to pay for education, please have all the documents from bank stating the clearance of the loan. If you are getting money from relatives, you will have to provide financial document for them as well, like source of income, what kind of job/business they are doing, annual reports in case of business, what relation do you have with the person. Along with this, you will need all the financial and property information on your parents. Again, you need to carry these documents with you in a file and do not give it to the consular office until he ask you to present it to him. Your body language should be right. Why you are going for further studies? Why this school? Why the subjects of specialization you have chosen. Be well prepared. There is no magic in getting US visa, it’s all the process and preparedness of the candidate and showing the boldness(does not mean to be disrespectful). Be straightforward in answering his/her question, rather then going in round and round.

There are examples where students have got visa even if they don’t have proper financial support documents. The reason is the personality, they way student has answered the consular’s questions. Very well prepared student also get visa rejected, because they are not confident when they present themselves to the officers. Be confident; believe in yourself & your capabilities. If you don’t have good financial support, I would strongly recommend you to go to a bank and apply for a study abroad loan. Some of your wealthy relatives might have to co-sign the loan. This would be the best financial document you can present and it is the proof that you will come back in repay the loan! Good Luck. Please also read my answers next to your questions. Thanks,
OP

hi to all,
I am an undergrad from NITW(Chem. Engg.) and soon going to US for my M.S+PhD for the Fall-05 term . I have a few queries about applying for VISA . Please answer whoever knows exactly.

0.First & foremost, Is there any need at all to go behind consultants for VISA issue?? (i mean vaan nirre pisse thage sain ki kimme help bhi karen sai)???
OP>> Nobody can help. Please don’t fall for any of the people who take money or say that they can use a consulate acquientance and get you US visa. US government/officials watch very closely.

1. Why do these US people reject many a times on arbit reasons ( I know a hell lot of cases of seniors).--Is there no sure shot way to get it at first time itself.???
OP>> It’s not arbitary. The consular officers are like Police officers, they are trained and experienced in reading people, faces and there behaviors. Documents(financial or support) are one source of information, you as a person they are checking. How you are answering the questions, how you are behaving, etc.

OP>> Twice. After that I think you can’t go for visa for another 2 years. Be careful, you have limited chances.

3. Does Visa permission depend on whether u r going to a very high ranked univ. or low ranked one???
OP>> I don’t think so. Many time consular officer might not be well aware of this. Some Univesities are lesser known, but they might have a very popular/well respected program in your field of study and they might be very respectable place to study. There is lot of factors and you should not be concerned much.

4. Is it true that people going for PhD have to give more convincing reasons of coming back to home country than those going for masters.???

OP>> Does not matter. Same standards are applied across the board, be it undergraduate study, graduate level study or Ph.D.

5. What other imp. information about financial funds we have to show during interview.???

OP>> Bank Loan, bank balances, fixed deposits etc. Supporting letters from company if company is ready to sponsor you.

OP>> Can’t say much

OP>> Please don’t get confused. Put your head down and get started attacking issues one by one. Thanks,

OP
.................................................. ................................................

harish
March 18th, 2005, 01:50 AM
hi choudhary saab,
THANKS FOR ALL visa INFO...u have been of such a gr88888 help to me!! no one was replying since last four days..so thought of posting my query again ..yeap!! i will definitely take care of all financial stuff watever officials will ask for..till now i have no info from my university about scholarship...department is zeroing out on aid issue..moreover i am still waiting for more univ. results......thanks again.thanks a lot...will b back with some new ones soon ..do reply to them too
harish

jtsagi
March 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Harish: You can find answers to all your questions by browsing the two sites listed below:
http://www.immigration.com
http://www.murthy.com

They have open forums on all immigration related issues (both immigrants as well as non-immigrants) that have answers to all your current queries as well the ones that you might have in future.

All the best!

hi to all,
I am an undergrad from NITW(Chem. Engg.) and soon going to US for my M.S+PhD for the Fall-05 term . I have a few queries about applying for VISA . PLease answer whoever knows exactly.

harish
March 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Hello jatin ji,
Thanks a lot for giving these crucial web links...they have been of a lot help...a hell lot of info is given on that...r u a univ. stud or working professional..i would be happy to know...
cheers
harish

jtsagi
March 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Hello Harish: I am indeed a working professional and an adjunct faculty as well. No need for ji's and sir's as I am still in my twenties. Feel free to send me an email incase you have any questions.

Hello jatin ji,
Thanks a lot for giving these crucial web links...they have been of a lot help...a hell lot of info is given on that...r u a univ. stud or working professional..i would be happy to know...
cheers
harish

harish
March 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Hi jatin,
thanks once gaian for ur prompt reply.for the time being i have got answers to many of my questions...will let u know if i will have more..u have benn a gr888 helping hand
regards
harish

harish
March 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi jatin,
thanks once again for ur prompt reply.for the time being i have got answers to many of my questions...will let u know if i will have more..u have been a gr888 helping hand
regards
harish