PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Re-enactment of the Dandi march...???

shailendra
March 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
...I was watching the news recently and coming across the footage of the re-enacted Dandi march, I couldn't help but think that while a prayer meeting or symposium going over the preaching’s, ideology and lifestyle of a great famous person is definitely fruitful for a younger generation to get up to speed on the issues of a certain period; what is with this wasting of time and money on an re-enactment???

The footages showed there were hundreds of people walking away from nowhere to nowhere and one could even see Mr. Rahul Gandhi (speaking in his girly squeaky voice) about how he so wanted to experience each and every feeling of making such a walk (!?!)...What? Trudging thru some odd murky waters and slime 50 years or so later on a changed and completely different now landscape will make you realize in a wink what sacrifices the freedom fighters went thru at that time?... Would even the experiences be the same (with like ten attendants running behind you with Bisleri bottles making sure you don't pass out from the heat!)???...

As is also to be understood the event was not free from it's share of politics with everone jostling to get a piece of the glory and action... for what end?

What is the significance of doing such a re-enactment? Is this beneficial to anybody... does the present generation need such politically motivated and waste of time and money dramas to really realize the greatness of a movement??? :confused:

nvedwan
March 21st, 2005, 09:20 PM
This Dandi march thing is yet another instance of empty symbolism which completely dominates our public lives, especially in political and religious matters. Whether it is annual Oct 2 homage at Rajghat, annual pilgrimage to Sabarimala shrine in Kerala (immediately after which a number of pilgrims go straight for beef and parotha-Kerala style, to make up for the 40 days without meat and liquor that precede the pilgrimage) or the Republic Day celebrations (ostensibly to celebrate our Constitution and the freedom of speech, religion, etc, it guarantees: do most people even know, or care), everything is reduced to a peagent, out of which any social meaning has been completely sucked out. I guess with this reenactment, the only residual "benefit" I can think of is that people will start throwing Gandhi references around much more, especially those who want to be in the good books of the present day Gandhis.

But what do we make of even worse symbolism (not merely empty) when Advani compares Modi's present travails to those of Gandhi during his Dandi March. I mean, come on, can you please make up your mind, between worshipping Gandhi and his assassin? I would not be surprised if Advani soon does a fast in support of Modi (or, again, symbolically, national dignity, swabhiman) at Raj Ghat, of course.

See below:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1287630,0008.htm

What is amusing about this incident is that when some BJP members wanted to raise anti-US slogans, the "lauh purush" (Advani) restrained them and encouraged them to shout "Bharat Mata ki Jai", instead. Great! Keep shouting that till you go blue in the face and it will be very effective! What can be a more fitting example of the most empty symbolism, even in the Indian context!

rkumar
March 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
President's speach today in both houses of Parliament tells it all about Indian politics;

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1288590,001301640000.htm

More than anyone, its our public which has to take all the blame. Why does public get carried away by such silly things? Advani and his alikes have been playing games with public sentiments all the time. One can notice some signs of change, though still too weak..

Rajendra

itsnavin
March 21st, 2005, 10:07 PM
This is where the indian politics is heading to. Congress aayi to usne Dandi march shuru karwa diya. Aur BJP wale Rath Yatra karwate hain...I don't see any difference between the two.
For me, all these are political gimmicks. Aaj inko Gandhi ki yaad aayi hai. If you ask any one, taking part in this march, that why you are repeating it now. I am sure no one can answer. Even Rahul BOSS! What they want to achieve with this.

I just see this walk as another morning or evening walk to fool the people of India. Shame on Rahul! I think there are many more important things for him to do for the people of this country than just walking foolishly in river waters!

mbamal
March 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
I just see this walk as another morning or evening walk to fool the people of India. Shame on Rahul! I think there are many more important things for him to do for the people of this country than just walking foolishly in river waters!

Haha...sahi baat Guruji,

Ke baat is baar aap khade nahin hue election main..aagley baar jaroor nomination bhar diyo..

nvedwan
March 22nd, 2005, 02:07 AM
The reenactment of Dandi March may be silly- which it most certainly is--but has not resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people, as the Rath Yatra did. There is a big difference between events that are calculated to incite hatred and harvest votes, and acts of stupidity, however defined.

raj_rathee
March 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM
Duniya mein bewakoofon ki kami nahi hai, kami hai toh
bewakoof banane walon ki !

Our country is definitely well supplied from the former category,
but the good thing is that we are also doing quite well in the latter
category....but there is still a lot of scope.

As they say, with so many bewakoofs, a career in religion or politics
is the way to go !!

jtsagi
March 22nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Kami to bhai yhade bhi konya. Ib Bush ne hi dekh leyo. Europe ne country batanta hande se. :D

Beavis Butthead (Roondha Khoonda) ne dekh leyo te aadmee chakar kha ke gir jaya.
You Must Bow down To The Almighty Bunghole! ;)

Duniya mein bewakoofon ki kami nahi hai, kami hai toh
bewakoof banane walon ki !

Our country is definitely well supplied from the former category,
but the good thing is that we are also doing quite well in the latter
category....but there is still a lot of scope.

As they say, with so many bewakoofs, a career in religion or politics
is the way to go !!

itsnavin
March 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
manney socha ibki baar Hooda ne ye dekh le...isne kuch na kara te pher manney ye koodna padegaa...apni vote bacha ke rakhna meri khaatir..;-)

Haha...sahi baat Guruji,

Ke baat is baar aap khade nahin hue election main..aagley baar jaroor nomination bhar diyo..

itsnavin
March 22nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Agreed! But I don't rate this DANDI march as act of stupidity. This is a well calculated move from congress. And I see it as an indirect response to Advani's Rath Yatra. The purpose may be hidden but speaks of itself.
Why didn't Congress reenact anything related to Bose, Bhagat Singh, Mangal Pandey and many others who sacrificed their lives.

The reenactment of Dandi March may be silly- which it most certainly is--but has not resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people, as the Rath Yatra did. There is a big difference between events that are calculated to incite hatred and harvest votes, and acts of stupidity, however defined.

stokas
March 22nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Good discussion going on here.
This is a fact that all the politicians do these type of gimmicks just do take advantage and accelerate their politics. Someone was also right 'India mein bewakoofon ki kami nahi, jaroorat hai bananey walon ki', and these netas are handling this task very intelligently.

Shailendra

shailendra
April 6th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Aur lo bhai, ebbe yo Pradhaan Mantri bhi chaal padiya........... (Please also don't miss down below the pseudo 'prime-minister' Sonia Gandhi's valuable contribution to our earlier discussion.... :rolleyes: )

[Quote-unquote BBC News]

Indian PM re-enacts Gandhi march
The prime minister of India, Manmohan Singh, has led thousands of people on the final day of the re-enactment of a historic freedom march in 1930.
The 26-day walk took place from the western city of Ahmedabad to Dandi on the Arabian Sea coast.

It traced the route of Mahatma Gandhi's march to collect salt in defiance of a tax imposed by the British rulers making it illegal to harvest salt.

Mr Singh urged the 200,000-strong crowd to follow Gandhi's message of equality.

VAT tax

He also said the government would provide funds for the development of the heritage route and build memorials along it.

The leader of the Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi, said no country could progress unless it followed the Gandhian ideals of truth, brotherhood and peace.

Correspondents say the march has coincided with a 4% VAT tax on processed salt by most state governments - the first tax on salt since Indian independence.