PDA

View Full Version : Whats there in Education...??

baljit
April 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hello Jatland member

I'm new in this forum. But observing this site quitely and thought of giving stride right now. As from my side I'm IIT-IIM combo and now in real estate business in Germany.

So let me share my experiance:

I love to meet with people of all hues have probably concluded, Several nuggets of information came out of these meetings, but the one which affected me most deeply was found in meeting an old college classmate there whom I hadn't seen for years. This guy had stopped giving exams in around the 5th semester at IIT campuses, and never came to college after that. I had heard vague rumours that he had become an insurance agent or something similar.Then he told me his story, and an enchanting story it was too.

During the aforementioned semester, he gave an interview at a financial services company. The interview called only for MBAs, but he still went in, not even a graduate till then. He managed to impress the interviewers with his zeal and his zest to learn, saying filmi quotes like, "I may not have an MBA, but I am a mould of clay right now, and I will easily be shaped into whatever you want," and "I'll work hard enough to make up for my lack of formal education." He also claimed that he'll attend enough classes etc at college to do his degree alongside (Which he didn't attend.) A normal subordinate HR manager would have had such a cliché-spout thrown out of the office, but this guy was fortunate that the regional director of this company was on the interview panel that day, and in true filmi manner, he was selected to be a trainee financial consultant.

He did work very hard, and learnt much about managing finances. With pluck and a pleasing manner, he got many new clients onboard. Along with learning to manage others' assets, he learnt to manage his own, and started to invest in the stock-market. Soon, he earned enough to buy an car. His prosperity continued, while the rest of us, who had been studying for our degrees, kept cramming when exams were near, and whiling our time away the rest of the year. He was good enough now that other companies wanted to take him, and he got many offers.

Just around the time he was starting to get comfy in his BMW, the rest of us were passing out with our degrees, with hardly a rupee to our names. Now this guy has experience, money, and many assets, while those who stayed in the system have little, with these riches atleast a couple of years away. By then, he would've earned more, jumped more jobs, and bought a longer car.

I felt a strange pride on meeting him, which comes on meeting one who has broken the 'system' and prospered. His parents, of course, think that his job is some sort of part-time,

While this makes me feel somewhat inadequate; the non-conformist in me is very happy that such people exist outside novels and films, and they are my friends too.

Hope it wake some middling crowd here in our Jaat community

Baljit

bhanwerlaldudi
April 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM
i m also view of that a person should come out of the system n do something new . i also want to leave the service n want to do biz , but my wife doesnt agree ok .

raj2rif
April 6th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Dear Baljit Ji and Dudde Ji,

Congratulations to your friend and a lots of thanks to you to bring out this true story on this forum.

The fact is he worked very hard and he got probably the job of his liking. It is only when you like/enjoy what you do, your best comes out. Any thing that is thrust upon you may carry you only a few steps. One need to enjoy what he does. My views on the education are slightly different and may be called a little conservative, but then these are my views. I personally feel that if your friend had done all that after graduation, what he did before completing it, probably he might have done better. The education in all forms is the most important thing in life. You can get in formal institutions or in real life experience. Both form of education has its plus and minuses. Why this, we have Late Mr. Dhirubhai Ambani who made it so big in real life. Such people do exist in real life. The common thing among all of them is that they have a clear vision on what they want to achieve and they work hard for it and remain focussed on those goals even in bad phases of their business. That is what makes them different than others. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. The success lies in taking advantages of our strengths while improving on our weaknesses.

Thanks a lot once again for posting a very nice thread.

baljit
April 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Dear Col saab

Well just wanted to tell that this was quite a nice piece of comment form you. Touching very valid points. Sir never been to Army myself.. ...But seen clean and shiny sparking kind of places of Indian Army.

Hats off to you Col saab

Do you known or heard Great Jaat Lt General "RAJ KADYAN". I think know they are Retd... :confused:

Baljit