PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Education City in Haryana: A debate on its viability

rkumar
April 13th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Dear Friends,

Haryana government has just proposed to set up an education city along the lines of Oxford and Cambridge. The proposal appears very attractive at first instance. The final shape it will take or it should take, is not yet clear. The issue needs to be debated at public forum like this. I invite you all to share your views on the subject. What all such education city should have and how it should be implemented ? What are the likely benefits and drawback of such a project? There may be many questions on the subject which one might need to answer or ask..

Regards
Rajendra

singh1981
April 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Is there any link for this news........

rkumar
April 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Is there any link for this news........

http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/14/stories/2005031409930400.htm

RK^2

birbal
April 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Rajendraji,

If they really carry through the promise of an educational centre of excellence, it will be great not only for Haryana but all of India. Although, Cambridge and Oxford have been there for a long time, the Education City should be based on the model of Standford and MIT. If one looks at the contributions of these two institutions not only for the United States, but the whole world, it is mind boggling. Oxford and Cambridge might have produced great politicians and lawyers, but what we need is scientists and engineers and a place where new ideas can incubate and flourish.

rkumar
April 13th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Rajendraji,

If they really carry through the promise of an educational centre of excellence, it will be great not only for Haryana but all of India. Although, Cambridge and Oxford have been there for a long time, the Education City should be based on the model of Standford and MIT. If one looks at the contributions of these two institutions not only for the United States, but the whole world, it is mind boggling. Oxford and Cambridge might have produced great politicians and lawyers, but what we need is scientists and engineers and a place where new ideas can incubate and flourish.

I fully agree with you Birbal Singh Ji. In my view the Haryana Government should hold some sort of open house/ conference on the shape of this education city and ensure that it is world class and meets the future needs of the state and the country. It should not be done at the cost of existing educational institutions in the state like what happened to the Indian Universties. Choosing right model for the proposed Education city is the most crucial aspect and should be done very carefully.

Regards
Rajendra

scsheorayan
April 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Dear Rajendra ji,

It sounds too good to be true. It is very difficult to believe promises of politicians now a days. However if it bears fruit there can be no better project for the State or country. Devil is always in the detail and if present Govt makes a good start one day it may be dream come true for people of Haryana. Best wishes to them all.

Thank you for sharing the good news.

itsnavin
April 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Atleast an idea has been coined but my fear is that they might not end up with upgrading a college to another IIT or like that. Actually India mein "bhed chaal" bahut hai...when they can't do something in an innovative way, they just want to copy what it existing at some other place. I think they should come out of thoughts that only IITways we can succeed. There are numerous other ways.
Moreover, it's a pity that the next CM also joined the gang of typical politicians to make this announcement. But he didn't say anything about ailing MDU Rohtak or KU or Sirsa Univ. Any measures taken to tackle the problem of mushrooming to engineering institutes in the state...nothing! You know how these street colleges are degrading the basic engg. degree values. There are a lot of things to highlight here. I don't want to flood this thread with those. Better is to wait and see!

ajaygahlawat
April 15th, 2005, 02:07 AM
`Education city' for Haryana

NEW DELHI MARCH 13. The Haryana Chief Minister, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, today announced that an "education city" of international standards would soon be developed in the State for providing excellent education to students.

Speaking at the closing session of the International Jat Intellectual Meet in the Capital, Mr. Hooda said 25 per cent seats in the institutes at the education city would be reserved for the students of Haryana.

One could really do wonders with something like that.

A query though: Does anyone know what segment is it targeted on? I mean, one could build a Stanford or an MIT as pointed out by Prof. Birbal. One could also build another Mangalore, that cater to certain need of the hour educational need. Or one could really take an even opportunistic stance and attract all the "Wheat $" back to the state which has been flowing to Karnataka. Or something in the middle .. Hydrabad? Bangalore?

Can someone find out what the intent is, and then we can debate about how to plan it or if there is a plan, then how well reasoned the plan is?

Kind Regards,
Ajay

jagmohan
April 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Dear Friends,

Q: What all such education city should have?

A: Discipline, first and foremost. Centrally located. Dedicated management (difficult to find if politicians, howsoever honest they may be, interfere. And interfere they will). Co-educational. State of the art facilities for learning. Environment friendly. Admissions based purely on 'Merit' (difficult to implement in a society where everything is on 'quota system). Teachers who love to teach and not merely to make a living. Should have institutions to create, not churn out, leaders in their fields, be it medicine, cutting edge technology, philosophy or economics. Sports should be compulsory. NCC training a must. Social service part of curriculum.

Q: How it should be implemented?

A: By keeping it quarantined from politicians and their cronies. By not giving contract for building the infrastructure to politicians and their relatives. By forming a committee of proven 'Good People' from all walks of life to see the project through. By attracting people who can deliver. Multi national, multi religious and multi racial faculty. And for heaven's sake don't name the institution to please some living or dead politician. THE FURTHER AWAY THIS INSTITUTION REMAINS FROM POLITICIANS, EVEN AFTER CREATION, GREATER THE CHANCES OF ITS SUCCESS.

Q: What are the likely benefits and drawback of such a project?
A: This institution would have chances of survival ONLY if what I have mentioned above is implemented in letter and spirit.

Though personally speaking I would like to see the existing institutions strengthened and got rid of 'Politics', as some member has mentioned. There is no need to become another Maharashtra & Karnataka where there are more engineers & doctors than post graduates. The so called institutions have become like 'Factories' producing these products whose 'Brand Equity' is questionable.

Let us hope though that Govt of Haryana can pull it off.

Regards,

JS Malik

positivelook
April 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
hello everyone

it is nice to have a education city in the state of haryana. I beleive Ch. hooda is having a snapshot in his mind abt this and thatswhy he announced this with in 2 weeks of taking his oath as Mukhya Sevak of Haryana(a name give to post of CM by Ch. sahaib). So i think this project will definitely be of international standards and we all will get benefit of this. One more issue here i have gone through here is that you all are criticising the politicians here but i think its better instead of criticising them we all should think that how our politics be free of all this. For this we alll have to step ahead so that we will have a transparency in our political structure.

Abhimanyu

Jats!the real tigers.

ratananmol
April 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Dear Col.Malik & other respected members:
The issues will unfold as things move but for now it is important to realize that the proposed place has to be more attractive than other places in India to be successful in the long run; attractive to students and educators both.
And the work culture chosen will have a big influence on the shape of things to come.
Army discipline will be good but i am dead against regimentation of ideas by forcing them to things like NCC etc; we need a place to nurture ideas not grudges by forcing students to think in a certain way.Employment contracts can be flexible to attract part time faculty from abroad. In recent times the functioning of the Indian School of Business at Hyderabad has drawn a lot of interest from Non resident indians teaching in US universities.
We need good education planners from the right outset.

rkumar
April 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Education in India must install very strong respolve and drive among students to;

1. Uplift the rural India.
2. Unify India with world technology and culture.

If these education cities produce only those who find rural India stinking, it will do more harm than any good. Education in India must install the resolve among students to propell India to the top position among the league of nations. There is a window of opportunity India has got today and one is not sure as to how long it would last.

RK^2

baljit
April 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Dear member ;)

I wish to differ from you in sense that we need to be sensitive to fact that education in haryana is politically controlled ....Do you know all the VC of Chautala have been made to resign by Hooda governemt.

More over There is latest news that Abhay Chautala is enrolled in LLB ...He is about to get his LAW degree without attending even a single Class and What to talk of examination... :cool:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050415/haryana.htm#5

This latest news...:)

baljit