PDA

View Full Version : MBA from Wharton school of Business

sandeepmehla
April 17th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Hi,
I am working in JP Morgan , pressently on H1B Visa...
I want to do part time MBA(Finance) from wharton school of Business(Philadelphia).Can anyone please guide me ....is GMAT mandatory or work experience will do for part time program ?
Tution fees is killing , do they guys offer assistanship/funding for part time program?
if i join part time MBA will my status (H1B)change ?
Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Sandeep

singhkapoor
April 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Sandeep

GMAT is mandatory for all EMBA (Executive MBA) applicants to Wharton; in fact the avg. GMAT score for accepted candidates to the EMBA program is in the same range (700+) as for the regular MBA students. Unless you come through the “Fellows Nomination” program (i.e. outstandingly talented people recommended / nominated by their employers) Wharton expects you to have had at least 8 yrs of work experience out which 5 should have been in a managerial position. You might want to look in to the possibility of your employer sending in your name for two reasons: admission is a tad easier and you don’t have to worry about tuition.

If you do not have the time/inclination to take GMAT and don’t care much about the Ivy tag, explore Kellogg’s EMBA program. If rankings play any role in your decision, you might be surprised to know that some ranking institutions rank Kellogg’s EMBA higher than Wharton’s.

Most business schools don’t offer scholarships/financial assistantship to EMBA students (I am sure Wharton doesn’t). The primary reason is that a large majority of students (70% in Wharton’s case) are at least partially sponsored by their employers. But, if you are admitted to one of the big name schools such as Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford Citibank’s student loan program guarantees you a loan (for total expenses). Since you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, the downside in your case is that unless you have a US resident as a co-signer you will not have access to their “favorably priced” loan program and will have to pay a higher rate of interest (prime+3% variable as compared to prime +0% variable).

Your status will still be H1B. In fact, every student is expected to work full time while studying (in your case, whatever number of hours is indicated on your H1B). That’s why classes are held on Friday and Saturday on alternate weekends – Students commute from as far away places as Europe. So, you will have to submit a letter from your employer stating that it will be ready to give you a day off from work on Fridays on alternate weeks.

Best Wishes

sandeepmehla
April 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks a lot of Kapoor Sahaab, u gave me valuable information

Regards,
Sandeep