PDA

View Full Version : The 1857 war part XIII : NAHAR SINGH, THE JAT RAJA OF BALLABHGARH

ravichaudhary
January 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM
The 1857 war part XIII : NAHAR SINGH, THE JAT RAJA OF BALLABHGARH - HIS VALOUR AND SACRIFICE

The name of the Jat Raja Nahar Singh of Ballabhgarh will always be highly regarded among those who martyred themselves in the 1857 war of independence.

The small kingdom of Ballabhgarh is only 20 miles from Delhi. His far sightedness saw the danger of the encroaching British power, and convinced him to join hands with the Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah. The Emperor considered him his right arm. Along with friendship, he also handled much of the affairs of the tottering Mughal Empire. The Emperor entrusted him with the defence and affairs of Delhi. In the Court he was treated with great respect, and he has a special golden chair, which was placed right next to the Emperor.

On 16th May 1857 when Delhi was liberated, the army of Nahar Singh as on guard on the western border of Delhi. He had established military guard posts from Delhi to Ballabhgarh, and also had his intelligence men on the ground. On seeing this preparedness the British commander John Lawrence was fearful of attacking from the east. The English called Ballabhgarh " Delhi's gate of Iron", and were fearful of it, and did not have the courage to face him.

John Lawrence in a letter wrote to Canning " The East and the South is protected by the strong forces of Raja Nahar Singh of Ballabhgarh, and it is unlikely we can break this wall of soldiers unless we receive reinforcements from China or England."

That is just what happened. When the English army attacked Delhi on September 14, 1857 they attacked from the West, and entered Delhi from Kashmiri Gate. On 24th September the British established their authority on Delhi. The Emperor Bahadur Shah escaped to the tomb of Humayun. Nahar Singh attempted to get the Emperor to Ballabhgarh, but Mirza Elahi Baksh, the father of his daughter- in- law, betrayed the emperor. Baksh was an agent of the British, and persuaded the Emperor not to go beyond the tomb. On 24th September the British captured the emperor and his family, but the Rajah showed his valor and surrounded the British force. Hudson the British officer killed the sons of the Emperor and threatened to kill the Emperor himself. The Rajah lifted the siege to save the Emperor's life.

The courageous warrior Nahar Singh withdrew overnight to his stronghold the fort of Ballabhgarh, and took a grave toll of the British troops who would travel between Delhi and Agra. Thousands of British soldiers were captured and countless were buried in the fields of Ballabhgarh. The revenge for the sons of the Emperor was taken in Ballabhgarh.

The deceitful British by deceit showed a white flag ands asked for peace talks. Four horse mounted officers arrived at Ballabhgarh and invited the Rajah for talks, pleading that a settlement was being made with the Emperor, and that the presence of the Rajah was necessary. They stated that the British wished to have friendship with the Rajah.

The trusting Rajah got ensnared in the trap. He trusted the British and left for Delhi with 500 horse troops. As soon as he entered Delhi, he was ambushed by an English force and captured. His accompanying soldiers were killed.

The very next day the British laid on a heavy attack on Ballabhgarh. The attack went on for three days on this fort, which the British called the " Iron Gate". The Rajah had made this a secure fort filled with arms and ammunition. This little fort could have fought for years. Without the leader a successful defence was not possible and ultimately the British gained victory.

In Delhi the Rajah refused friendship with the British.

He said, " I have never learned to bow my head before an enemy".

Hudson said to him once more" Nahar Singh, I can save you from the hangman's noose, bend a little".

The Rajah replied to Hudson " I have spoken, now listen again, The Goras (English) are my enemies, I can never ask them for forgiveness. One hundred thousand Nahar Singh's will be born tomorrow."

The English boiled over at Nahar Singh's answer. They decided to hang him to death, and preparations were made in Chandni Chowk, near the fountain, in front of Nahar Singh's Delhi residence.

That day, April 21 1858, was Nahar Singh's 35th birthday and to celebrate it he came and stood near the hanging gibbet. Accompanying the Rajah were three trusted companions -Kushaal Singh, Gulab Singh and Bhura Singh. These four heroes from Ballabhgarh, guilty of the crime of patriotism and serving their country, stood side by side on the hangman's platform.

The people of Delhi were watching this heart-breaking scene with grief and sadness.

On Rajah Nahar Singh's countenance there was no dullness, but a glow that troubled the enemy and cast a shadow on their faces.

The time set for the hanging arrived, and Hudson lowered his head and asked the Rajah for his last wish.

The Rajah replied firmly " I have nothing to ask of you. You may tell this to these fearful onlookers, that my message is that I am leaving a spark among you, never let it go out. The honour of our nation is now in your hands".

Hudson advised the Rajah that he could not convey this message to the onlookers

In this manner the patriot hero Rajah Nahar Singh sacrificed his life for his country and became immortal.

His pure body was not returned to his family. Ultimately the royal priest of the family made a dummy of the King, and performed his last rites on the bank of the Ganges River.
For other parts visit

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/

Interested persons are welcome to join

Ravi Chaudhary

amitsangwan
January 6th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Well Done Mr. Ravi Chaudhary,
It is very important to remember our great freedom fighters as our ideal hero’s particularly in present scenario.
Amit Sangwan

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Wohw! Its a good thread, thanks Raviji. The 150th anniversary of 1857 is approaching. The 150th Martyre Day of Nahar Singh is also approaching on 9th January 2008.

I'm proud to say that founders of this princely state of Ballabgarh were from my village, Janauli which is more than 2000 years old. Its third village of Tewatia Jats in India, the first two are Tebti (Ujjain or Rajasthan) and Januthal in Rajasthan. Charan Das and his fore fathers left Janauli (in Palwal) and got settled at Sihi-a village of Tewatia Jats in Ballabgarh,(incidentally poet Surdas was also from Sihi-lineage of this poet also needs examination, whether he was Tewatia and was he really blind from birth?). Charan Das's son Balram Singh later rose as powerful king. Princely state of Ballabgarh is after his name. He was brother in law of Surajmal and mama of Jawahar Singh. Jats along the Royal Delhi-Agra route at that time were in revolt against the oppressive Mughal rule. Tewatias of this area had already established themselves as counter force in this area. Balram Singh often called Ballu by the local people moved a few Elephants, Horses and Camels loaded with Big drums (Nagaade) and Dhaunse (big band) followed by his local army. Went wherever Ballu with this band it was assumed that area was no longer of Mughals and Ballu had won that. It was a sort of Aswamedh Yagya/Yagna that he performed. Here from started a saying "Dheeng Dheeng Ballu ka Raj". Immediately peace returned to those areas which were won over by Ballu. Faridabad district is dominated by Tewatia Jats. They were instrumental for Bharatpur to sway their hold on Delhi. Palace and fort at Ballabgarh is on the same architectural style as those of Deegh and Bharatpur.

Later when Surajmal was killed in Delhi, Jawahar got bit depressed because the gates of Red Fort were made of Ashtdhatu with big nails in them. Elephants of Jawahar Singh who were being used to break the gate started running. Then Ballu got up stuck to nails and ordered the armies to hit the elephants in him. Thus died ballu and there after Lal Quila was won by Jats. Victorious Jats did not forget to take that gate with them while returning to Bharatpur from Delhi in the memory of Ballu. Till today that Gate is there at Bharatpur fort. Nahar Singh was in the generation of these brave Jats.

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Nahar Singh Mahal is located at Ballabhgarh in Faridabad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faridabad) District of Haryana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haryana). This fort was built by the forefathers of Jat Raja Nahar Singh around 1739 AD. The fort was decorated with minars on its four corners of which only two can be seen now due to age and neglect. The palace holds a Darbar-e-aam and a Rang Mahal decorated with a beautiful Chhatril.
This palace is now managed by the Government of Harayana. Presently, the Mahal (fort) fascinates as an outstanding specimen of architectural design.
Kartik Cultural Festival, the main fair held in the month of November, is celebrated at Nahar Singh Mahal.
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nahar_Singh_Mahal&action=edit&section=1)]

External link

The Fort & It's History (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/history.htm)

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>

The Fort & It's History </TD><TD align=right>http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/kartik.jpg
Kartik Cultural Festival
Nahar Singh Mahal </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR width="95%" noShade>November 2nd to 7th, 1996.

The venue of the Kartik Cultural Festival is the historic fort of the king Nahar Singh at Ballabgarh. Around 1739 AD work on the construction of the Fort of Ballabgarh began under instruction of the forefathers of King Nahar Singh. It was once guarded by two gates. The four corners of the Mahal were decorated with -minars' on which were mounted large cannons.
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/section2.jpg After Nahar Singh's death in 1857, his mahal (palace) at Ballabgarh, just outside Delhi, faded into ruin and oblivion. Rediscovered and rescued by the Government of Harayana, the palace was entrusted to a well-known team of experts, under whose direction it has been restored to its oritinal, delicate bearty. In a unique joint vbenture, the district administration of Faridabad, the Ballabgarh Beartification Society, the Departments of Tourism and Cultural Affairs of the Government of Harayana, the Office of the Director General of Tourism, Government of India, local business leaders, and leading artists and arts venture of international stature.
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/section3.jpg Today only two minars can be seen. The Mahal had a Darbar-e-aam and a Rang Mahal which were decorated with a beautiful -Chhatril. This can be seen even today.
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/section4.jpg King Nahar Singh, ascended the throne in 1829 and proved to be a just ruler. In the year 1857 when the fires of the First War of Independence were flaring up in the country, he joined in the battle. With his small army he fought valiantly, following the guerrilla tactics popular in those days. But the small efforts of the King could not withstand the forces of the British. And with it, came the end of the rulers of Ballabgarh.
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/section5.jpg But times changed and today, the District Administration has succeeded in restoring the old grandeur of the Fort of Ballabgarh. Today the Mahal (fort) fascinates as an outstanding specimen of architectural design. In pattern, the Mahal is in keeping with the fineness of the Mahals of Bharatpur. It is in these grounds that Haryana Tourism and the Ballabgarh Beautification Society celebrate the Nahar Singh Mahal Kartik Cultural Festival from 2nd to 7th November 1996. <HR width="95%" noShade><CENTER>Home Page (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/index.htm) ------ The Festival (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/festival.htm) ------ Details of the Festival (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/events.htm)
Places to Stay (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/stay.htm) ------ Haryana Tourism (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/ht.htm) ------ The Organisers (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/org.htm) ------ Bookings (http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/ht.htm#book) <HR width="95%" noShade></CENTER>

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Surprisingly every body knows Jhansi ki Rani, Nana Sahib and even a simple General of their small army, Tantya Tope, but Indian history books are silent about Nahar Singh. I'm shocked to see the biased attitude of historians against Jats. They are not sparing even a martyre who died for the cuase of India against British, just because he was a Jat. Who controlled even Delhi in those hours of crisis. Anybody can guess whether Jhansi was more important or Delhi was more important.

British hanged Nahar Singh but Bahadur Shah Zafar was not hanged but exiled to Rangoon. The punishment given to Nahar was more than Bahadur Shah. That means Nahar's role against British was more fierce as compared to Bahadur Shah. Nana Sahib/Tantya ran away to Nepal and Rao Tula Ram to Afghanistan. Though that does not decrease their respect in our eyes. We are not against other martyres but why Jat martyres are side tracked?

This is most recent example of Jat history being destroyed. Which is so near, so visible, so clear with all authentic proofs and documents in archeological department. When even this can be maligned you can imagine what must have happened with the old Jat history since Indus Valley Civilization!!!!!

No other indian place/square/road is named after Nahar Singh except in Haryana. Only one road was named near Wazirpur Depot in Delhi. That too due to efforts of Ch. Deep Chand Bandhu, former Industry Minister in Delhi Government. He was a Tewatia Jat from Kondal village of Palwal. I know how hard he tried for that! That too he could do so because this road is near Ashok Vihar wherefrom he used be MLA/leader for 25-30 years. I suggest that at least Chandni Chowk in Delhi or at least the Ghanta Ghar or Fuhara where Nahar Singh was hanged should be named after Nahar Singh with his statue over there.

rajendersingh
June 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM
dear all,
its realy good thread specially for youngesters on the site. its a fact that history writers have been very cruel towards jats.whole of haryana rose against britishers during 1857....and still we grew up reading about rani jhansi and tatya tope etc.........its misfortune of this country that ppl like rao tula ram are being projected as myrtyers and has got their names written on so many public places...but truth is different...truth is that he never fought a war against britishers..but kept both the parties in good humour and waited for the results and when final result were out ...natives lost..he turned his side for britishers..but they knowing fully well that his intentions were totally different, made clear that he will not be forgiven ...so the fellow ran from one place to another just out of fear....and now we ..see what is happening.

dear tewatia ji i would like to make some correction about balram singh 's relation with suraj mal..its a fact that he was a very important ally of maharaja suraj mal...but its also a fact that he was not related to maharaja suraj mal........when we talk of balram singh ..brother in law of maharaja suraj mal....it was balram singh of hodal .he was son of choudhary kanshi ram and brother of rani kishori {rani hansa].rani kishori did not have any issue and raja jawahar singh was her adopted son ..he being a real son of maharaja surajmal from another queen.its a irony that balram, brother of rani hansa was killed by non other than jahwar singh himself later on.

balrajsejwal
June 29th, 2006, 09:16 PM
respected members, RAM RAM,
first of all, i got lot"s of imformation and hapiness by reading this thread, i would like to thanks all of you.
i would like to add some more, raja nahar singh(ruler of 101 villlages of ballabhgarh) also organised a meeting in mukteshwar(up), which was attended by raja krishan gopal, raja of gwalior, tantiya tope, the purpose was to unite the nation for so called "first war of independence".
RAJA NAHAR SINGH was sentenced to death on 09.01.1858.
my grand mother father(jawahar singh sirohi) and tau(mangal singh sirohi) was niece of RAJA NAHAR SINGH , and they were adopted by raja nahar singh and later he gave them a whole village SAMAI PUR(ballabh garh), which is still owned by their siblings.

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Used 2 b an article in Hindustan Times about about 22 years back. The article described two Jat revolutionaries of Rohtak, patronised by Raja Nahar Singh in 1857. I'm forgetting their names. Who were later killed or hanged.

Mehrauli and Badarpur were directly administered by Nahar in those days, records of that period clearly speak. Some thefts were there in Mewat. Meo Chaudharies were very happy with Nahar Singh to adminster their area as well. In fact there are many Tewatia Jats among Meos. Utawad, Malayee, Kot are dominated by Tewatia Jats who are Muslims now. They always sided with Kondal village due to this reason cutting across religious lines. Nahar in those days became the symbol of Hindu Muslim unity by natural reasons. He was considered just not as a king but just like brother by the common population. It was mass upsurge that he was handling right at the centre.

vinodks
June 29th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Raviji and Tewatia Sir, that was wonderful.... thanks. Keep the research up.

-vinod

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM
respected members, RAM RAM,
first of all, i got lot"s of imformation and hapiness by reading this thread, i would like to thanks all of you.
i would like to add some more, raja nahar singh(ruler of 101 villlages of ballabhgarh) also organised a meeting in mukteshwar(up), which was attended by raja krishan gopal, raja of gwalior, tantiya tope, the purpose was to unite the nation for so called "first war of independence".
RAJA NAHAR SINGH was sentenced to death on 09.01.1858.
my grand mother father(jawahar singh sirohi) and tau(mangal singh sirohi) was niece of RAJA NAHAR SINGH , and they were adopted by raja nahar singh and later he gave them a whole village SAMAI PUR(ballabh garh), which is still owned by their siblings.

Its a good step Sejwalji. Nahar's history is not that of distant past. It was not just one person's revolution in 1857. Jats were at the forefront at that time. It was mainly peasants and soldiers uprising. If we all start contributing like this from our local elders memories it'll be a good construction of our deliberately hi9dden history. I'm sure many proofs will come as Nahar was heading it from centre-Delhi.

Sentiments of these Jats and their recent memories of this first war of Independence were later echoed in Arya Samaj. It was Arya Samaji Shyam ji Krishna Verma who first gave the name "First War of Independence" to the hitherto called mutiny of 1857.

ravichaudhary
June 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM
The full artcile on the 1857 war , on word document format, 18 pages, is on the files section of the Yahoo jathistory group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/files

The source is the Late Dilip Singh Ahlawat, frem his book- Jat Viron ka ithihaas' Rohtak.

Feel free to download and distribute it, as widely as possible. In fact it is a good idea to distribute it.

Hopefully it will encourage, people to add to the information as is being done here, and the article can then be improved.

To access the files section, membership is needed..That is only a click away.

Yahoo , in its quirks, requires a yahoo ID, so you do need to create one.

The inconvenience in generally worth it

The only reason for membership requirement is to prevent internet vandals

Enjoy

Ravi Chaudhary

ranjitjat
June 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Wohw! Its a good thread, thanks Raviji. The 150th anniversary of 1857 is approaching. The 150th Martyre Day of Nahar Singh is also approaching on 9th January 2008.
Ravi ji & Tewatia Ji very good efforts.
Now you will find all this in new book. Haryana Saravkhap Martyrs ready for this event on 9 Jan 2007.
Rajender Sahib You are right about BAlram Singh

BALRAM SINGH NY AADA DAYE THI CHHATI PHATAK PER
JAWAHAR SINGH HATHI LAE AAYA LALKILA KI PHATAK PER

SARY JAT VIR KAT KAR MARGAYE LALKILA KI PHATAK PER
PAKHRIYA VEER NY JAAN JHOK DAYE LAL KHUNI PHATAK PER

RAJA NAHAR SINGH SY NAR NAHAR
NY RACH DYAE 1 AK NAHI KAHANI

9 JANUARY 1958 KO CHANDNI CHOK
DELHI MAE DAYE AMAR KURWANI

AAJ TAK DELHI KY CHANDNI CHOK MAE
MILTI NAHI SHAHEED SAMARAK KI NISANI

CHANDNI CHOK MAE RAJA NAHAR SINGH KA
SHAHID SAMARAK BANE- DUDEE KY DIL KI VANI.
SABHI JAT/JATNI MILKAR YAH SANKALAP- KARLO
YAHI DHARMPAL KI DILI- TAMNA KI NAYE KAHANI

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Ravi ji & Tewatia Ji very good efforts.
Now you will find all this in new book. Haryana Saravkhap Martyrs ready for this event on 9 Jan 2007.
Rajender Sahib You are right about BAlram Singh

BALRAM SINGH NY AADA DAYE THI CHHATI PHATAK PER
JAWAHAR SINGH HATHI LAE AAYA LALKILA KI PHATAK PER

SARY JAT VIR KAT KAR MARGAYE LALKILA KI PHATAK PER
PAKHRIYA VEER NY JAAN JHOK DAYE LAL KHUNI PHATAK PER

RAJA NAHAR SINGH SY NAR NAHAR
NY RACH DYAE 1 AK NAHI KAHANI

9 JANUARY 1958 KO CHANDNI CHOK
DELHI MAE DAYE AMAR KURWANI

AAJ TAK DELHI KY CHANDNI CHOK MAE
MILTI NAHI SHAHEED SAMARAK KI NISANI

CHANDNI CHOK MAE RAJA NAHAR SINGH KA
SHAHID SAMARAK BANE- DUDEE KY DIL KI VANI.
SABHI JAT/JATNI MILKAR YAH SANKALAP- KARLO
YAHI DHARMPAL KI DILI- TAMNA KI NAYE KAHANI

Ballabgarh te ayo ballu
Chhode na sharir pe sallu
Ab tu chakh le Mazaa Mathallu,
Aisen, kahen Bihari Lal ji.

Bihari lal ji was my Dadaji. He was a history poet, who played a good role in 1947 also. Used 2 visit Batana/bhatona in UP on horseback, sometimes alone. Swimming across the river yamuna.

sktewatia
June 29th, 2006, 11:47 PM
movies are made even on simple soldiers at that time like Mangal Pande. But can n e body compare Mangal Pande with Nahar Singh? Who was more effective? I think India's history is written in a coffee house!!!!

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 02:59 AM
1. About 28 years back I read a full detailed article in Dharmyug Magazine. A lot of authentic proofs were given in that.
2. A few years back there was an article in some news paper "Badar pur ka Daroga". It said that Daroga of Badarpur was a cause of nuisance to Bahadur Shahj Zafar even in 1857. He used to extort money from the businessman who used to travel from Delhi to Agra. Though then Raja Nahar Singh set him right but it was temporary. He is doing the same even today after 150 years.
3. About 13-14 years back lot of news was there that Nahar Singh is reborn. A 55 years old person siad that he was Nahar Singh in his previous birth. His wife and other relatives were supporting him. Bahadur Shah Zafar relied on Nahar Singh and he handed over all his treasure to him. Nahar possessed so much gold in the fort of Ballabgarh that India can not imagine even today. I personally met this 55 years old person at Ballabgarh who confidentally claimed that excavation in the fort will fetch Indian Govt. an unimaginable amount of gold.
4. There are stories of Ghosts in Nahar Singh fort. Dharmyug carried this article. Till today souls of many British soldiers are seen crying over there by some people in the night. Nahar Singh battle with British was very fierce and its due to that reason, people believe.

vivek
June 30th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Another tidbit. Chaudhary Charan Singh grandfather, Chaudhary Badam Singh were kinsmen of Raja Nahar Singh. They moved eastward in order to escape the opression the British Govt let loose on the raja's followers.

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Raja Nahar Singh's daughter's marriage was fixed with the prince of Nabha, perhaps. But in between revolution of 1857 started before schedule time by Mangal Pande in Meerut. Though Raja himself was desperate for this day and he was busy with all of his preparations. Hurriedly, then the Sword of Gold of the prince was summoned and marriage ceremony was completed with that. The girl was sent to prince and Nahar jumped into the revolution without wasting a simple day to fight till end.

Raja Nahar Singh had some matrimonial alliance in Meerut. Already underground preparations and watch were being made on the activities of krantikaries in Meerut under the guidance of Nahar Singh. Later, when this revolution failed his relatives from Meerut were also sent to make Nahar Singh understand. But Nahar was adamant that he'd prefer death instead of appology.

lrburdak
June 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Raviji,

The matter about Raja Nahar Singh avilable on Jat History group is from Cap Dalip Singh Ahlawat's book "Jat Viron ka Itihas". Is it translated by you ? Is it published ? I am thinking to prepare article for Wikipedia. Can I give as reference in that article?

regards,

ravichaudhary
June 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yes,it is from Dalip singh Ahlawat's book. as mentioned by me,in msg # 12.

This post is only one part.

The entire document is from Dalip Singh's book.

It needs expanding.

Please write the article, and others can join in and help you

Ravi Chaudhary.

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Burdakji

It was a special issue of Dharmyug Magazine. About 28 years back. I possessed that copy for a long time but later it got lost. There was querrel later on among the kulpurohits generations of Nahar Singh. One party who had perhaps MP also was Pt. Dharamvir Vashishth turned out to be dominating. Otherone then published this article in that magazine. It was too detailed, containing all the details and original documents of British period. They can be scanned and included in wikipedia.If nobody does the job then I'll have to do it of course! Today Raviji and myself had talks. He suggested other book which is available in Surajmal Society, written by Saini. It gives detailed account of the trial that Nahar faced. I'll also check whether the person claiming Nahar reborn is still alive! I dnt know whether Jatlanders will be interested in him or not.

regards

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
This copy of Dharmyug is easy to locate. On the front page itself it starts as a special issue of "Sipahi Kranti Diwas", "Dheeng Dheeng Ballu ka Raj", "Satvin (7th generation) Peedhi ka Sartaj Nahar Singh". etc.

narenderkharb
June 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Great efforts Tewatia Saheb

Let your zeal be an inspiration source for others.

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 11:00 PM
In those hours of crisis when the Jats of Indo-Gangetic plain whether Hindu, sikh or muslims n other jat like tribes and common man were yet to taste the patriotic color of Arya Samaj, this too young king realised the dangers of British rule and the importance of hindu muslim unity. Bhagat Singh's family even if sikh respected Arya Samaj's patriotism. Many muslims also did the same.

Muslims, even if foreiners, yet intermingled with the local population and stayed here. Kohinoor was looted by Nadir Shah but Ranjit paid a price of char Jat ka Thappad to Shah Shuja, and took it back. But now who can take it back from 7000 kilometers?

Later Dayananda wrote-"videshi rajya chahe kitna bhi achha kyon na ho, apne rajya se behtar nahin hai"

A too young king Nahar realised it much b4 Swamiji.

Later these sentiments of the defeat and victory of a common Jat soldier and farmer in 1857 were echoed in Arya Samaj.

Hamare bade budhe ab bhi us 1857 ke sangram ki kathayen sunate hain. Jise itihaas ne dafan kar diya hai.

sktewatia
June 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Nahar was not only a king but the brother like leader of all the castes and tribes of his region. All public was ready to revolt after him. Attacking British in various battles Nahar harassed them a lot. British were not courageous enough to touch him like Rani Jhansi and Nana Sahib. It happened once when Ram Sarovar (name of swimming pool) of this Raja got filled with the blood of British soldiers.

teotiakuldeep
July 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM
thank u raviji and tewatia ji for pulling out this great information about Raja Nahar Singh.

i want to add somethink there that when jwaher singh attacked on delhi
gujjars of nearby south delhi also supported them and gave a little manpower as well, as gujjars who were also known as lootere were also follower and friend of ballu.

its realy bad that jats who have the best history in india, are not given that space in pages of historybooks.

lrburdak
July 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM
Raja Nahar Singh (1823 – 1858) was a King of princely state Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana, India. The forefathers of Jat Raja Nahar Singh had built a fort in Faridabad around 1739 AD. The small kingdom of Ballabhgarh is only 20 miles from Delhi. The name of the Jat Raja Nahar Singh will always be highly regarded among those who martyred themselves in the 1857 war of independence.

Early History
The founders of the princely state of Ballabgarh had come from village Janauli, which is more than 2000 years old. The Tewatia Jat Sardar Gopal Singh left Janauli in 1705 (in Palwal) and got settled at Sihi, a village of Tewatia Jats in Ballabgarh at a distance of about 5 km from Ballabhgarh. The Mughal ruler Aurangzeb had died. Gopal Singh started establishing power in Delhi and Mathura areas. With the help of Gujars of village ‘Lagon’ he attacked Rajput Chaudhary of that area and did a treaty with Mugal officer Murtija Khan of Faridabad and became Chaudhary of Faridabad pargana in 1710. He wanted to expand his army and collect huge wealth but died soon. His successor was Charan Das. Charan Das was also ambitious and when saw weakening of the Mughal rule, he stopped paying malgujari. The army of Mughals arrested Charan Das.

Charan Das's son, Balram Singh, later rose to a powerful king. Princely state of Ballabgarh is after his name. He was brother in law of Maharaja Suraj Mal and mama of Jawahar Singh. Jats along the Royal Delhi-Agra route at that time were in revolt against the oppressive Mughal rule. Tewatias of this area had already established themselves as counter force in this area. Balram Singh often called Ballu by the local people moved on a few Elephants, Horses and Camels loaded with Big drums (Nagaade) and Dhaunse (big band) followed by his local army. Went wherever Ballu with this band it was assumed that area was no longer of Mughals and Ballu had won that. It was a sort of Aswamedh Yagna that he performed. Here from started a saying "Dheeng Dheeng Ballu ka Raj". Immediately peace returned to those areas, which were won over by Ballu.

Murtija Khan’s son Akvitmahmud killed Balram Singh on 29 November 1753. After Balram Singh, Maharaja Suraj Mal appointed Balram Singh’s sons Bisan Singh and Kisan Singh as Kiledars. They ruled Ballabhgarh till 1774, when Hira Singh became the ruler of Ballabhgarh.

Nahar Singh ascended the throne
Raja Nahar Singh ascended the throne in 1829 and proved to be a just ruler. Raja Nahar Singh was ruler of 101 villages of Ballabhgarh. He had organised a meeting in Mukteshwar (Uttar Pradesh), which was attended by Rraja Krishan Gopal, Raja of Gwalior, Tantya Tope etc. The purpose of this meeting was to unite the nation for the first war of independence in 1857.

In the year 1857 when the fires of the First War of Independence were flaring up in the country, he joined in the battle. With his small army he fought valiantly, following the guerrilla tactics popular in those days. But the small efforts of the King could not withstand the forces of the British. And with it, came the end of the rulers of Ballabgarh.

Joined first war of Independence
His far sightedness saw the danger of the encroaching British power, and convinced him to join hands with the Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah. The Emperor considered him his right arm. Along with friendship, he also handled much of the affairs of the tottering Mughal Empire. The Emperor entrusted him with the defence and affairs of Delhi. In the Court he was treated with great respect, and he had a special golden chair, which was placed right next to the Emperor.

In the first war of Indian Independence, on 16 May 1857, when Delhi was liberated, the army of Nahar Singh was on guard on the western border of Delhi. He had established military guard posts from Delhi to Ballabhgarh, and also had his intelligence men on the ground. On seeing this preparedness the British commander John Lawrence was fearful of attacking from the east. The English called Ballabhgarh " Delhi's gate of Iron", and were fearful of it, and did not have the courage to face him.

John Lawrence in a letter wrote to Canning " The East and the South is protected by the strong forces of Raja Nahar Singh of Ballabhgarh, and it is unlikely we can break this wall of soldiers unless we receive reinforcements from China or England."

That is just what happened. When the English army attacked Delhi on 14 September 1857 they attacked from the West, and entered Delhi from Kashmiri Gate. On 24th September the British established their authority on Delhi. The Emperor Bahadur Shah escaped to the tomb of Humayun. Nahar Singh attempted to get the Emperor to Ballabhgarh, but Mirza Elahi Baksh, the father of his daughter- in- law, betrayed the emperor. Baksh was an agent of the British, and persuaded the Emperor not to go beyond the tomb. On 24th September the British captured the emperor and his family, but the Rajah showed his valor and surrounded the British force. Hudson the British officer killed the sons of the Emperor and threatened to kill the Emperor himself. The Rajah lifted the siege to save the Emperor's life.

The courageous warrior Nahar Singh withdrew overnight to his stronghold the fort of Ballabhgarh, and took a grave toll of the British troops who would travel between Delhi and Agra. Thousands of British soldiers were captured and countless were buried in the fields of Ballabhgarh. The revenge for the sons of the Emperor was taken in Ballabhgarh.

Britishers deceived
The deceitful British by deceit showed a white flag and asked for peace talks. Four horse-mounted officers arrived at Ballabhgarh and invited the Raja Nahar Singh for talks, pleading that a settlement was being made with the Emperor, and that the presence of the Raja was necessary. They stated that the British wished to have friendship with the Raja.

The trusting Raja got ensnared in the trap. He trusted the British and left for Delhi with 500 horse troops. As soon as he entered Delhi, he was ambushed by an English force and captured. His accompanying soldiers were killed.

The very next day the British laid on a heavy attack on Ballabhgarh. The attack went on for three days on this fort, which the British called the " Iron Gate". The Raja had made this a secure fort filled with arms and ammunition. This little fort could have fought for years. Without the leader a successful defence was not possible and ultimately the British gained victory.

In Delhi the Raja Nahar Singh refused friendship with the British. He said, " I have never learned to bow my head before an enemy". Hudson said to him once more" Nahar Singh, I can save you from the hangman's noose, bend a little". The Raja replied to Hudson " I have spoken, now listen again, The Goras (English) are my enemies, I can never ask them for forgiveness. One hundred thousand Nahar Singh's will be born tomorrow."

The English boiled over at Nahar Singh's answer. They decided to hang him to death, and preparations were made in Chandni Chowk, near the fountain, in front of Nahar Singh's Delhi residence. He was sentenced to death on 9 January 1858.

Hanged to death
That day, 21 April 1858, was Nahar Singh's 35th birthday and to celebrate it he came and stood near the hanging gibbet. Accompanying the Raja were three trusted companions - Kushal Singh, Gulab Singh and Bhura Singh. These four heroes from Ballabhgarh, guilty of the crime of patriotism and serving their country, stood side by side on the hangman's platform.

The people of Delhi were watching this heart-breaking scene with grief and sadness. On Raja Nahar Singh's countenance there was no dullness, but a glow that troubled the enemy and cast a shadow on their faces. The time set for the hanging arrived, and Hudson lowered his head and asked the Raja for his last wish.

The Raja replied firmly " I have nothing to ask of you. You may tell this to these fearful onlookers, that my message is that I am leaving a spark among you, never let it go out. The honour of our nation is now in your hands". Hudson advised the Rajah that he could not convey this message to the onlookers. In this manner the patriot hero Raja Nahar Singh sacrificed his life for his country and became immortal.

His pure body was not returned to his family. Ultimately the royal priest of the family made a dummy of the King, and performed his last rites on the bank of the Ganges River.

Assessment of Nahar Singh
The role and importance of Raja Nahar Singh in the first war of Indian Independence has not been properly assessed. No other Indian place/square/road is named after Nahar Singh except in Haryana. Only one road was named near Wazirpur Depot in Delhi. At least one place in Delhi or at least the Ghanta Ghar or Fuhara where Nahar Singh was hanged should be named after Nahar Singh with his statue over there.

Rrferences
Dilip Singh Ahlawat- “ Jat Viron ka Itihass”: 1857 - THE FIRST WAR OF INDIAN INDEPENDENCE

Thakur Deshraj: Jat Itihas (Hindi), Maharaja Suraj Mal Smarak Shiksha Sansthan, Delhi, 1934, 2nd edition 1992.

External links
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/history.htm
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wKGkRA8n8_u9myWiaCvJEQDqWWF8MHP4RTYKQopRTjx8qNrwFQ N_Cz2_fT7afzNHEFLuNjcTB3W3B4ySCcz6ZeFYQg0-TR8/1857warofindependence.doc

balrajsejwal
July 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
respected members, RAM RAM
no doubt, raja nahar singh contributed a lot in first war of independence and secrifies his life and kingdom for the nation and yet he havn"t got the recognition and tribute which he deseves by the historians and concerned authority in comparisions of other freedom fighters of that time. i strongly backs the opinions of above members that there should be a statue of GREAT RAJA NAHAR SINGH at chandini chowk and also there should be a colledge on his name at delhi or in ballabhgarh.
once again, i would like to say thanks to all respected members who gave their great thoughts and help us to know more about our jat hero"RAJA NAHAR SINGH".

sktewatia
July 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
It was again a research article published in newspaper Hindustan Times about 20 years back by some Chaturvedi. Nahar Singh patronised Debi Singh Godha who was spear heading the revolution in Mathura in 1857. There are some villages of Godha Jats in Mathura. Many times Godha fought successful battles with britishers. He was later killed in an encounter.

sktewatia
July 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Like Jhansi, Nahar Singh had no son and his state was annexed by British under Doctrine of Lapse. However, in comparison to Rani Jhansi, Nana Sahib, Tantya Tope etc. he had two merits:

1. Nana Sahib, Tope, Rani Jhansi etc. were kings or retired kings. They were marathas originally displaced from their original lands. Local people (say of Kanpur with Nana Sahib) were not having good affinity and bond with the kings. While Nahar was original and mass leader apart from King. He was regarded as brother by general population. Touching Nahar straight would mean mass revolt in that area.

2. Nahar Singh was at the centre Delhi. In fact he only was controlling and heading the revolt in the name of Zafar and in his own capacity also.

If any assesment of Nahar Singh goes then I'd say that he was the most important hero of 1857 revolution, the First War of Independence. The first symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity. The first grass root leader inspite of being king. The great visionary and patriot. He was the earliest Bhagat Singh, Azad, Subhash etc. He rightly said and it came true while dying. Many Nahars will be born. They were really born in the form of armed (like Bhagat Singh, Subhash etc.) and unarmed revolutionaries. His place in history should have been as first Shaheed in the History of Freedom Struggle, which continued even 90 years later after his death i.e. till 1947. History of India's freedom struggle, its heroes, shaheeds and gems, for 90 years should begin with Nahar Singh.

Lets all salute to Nahar Singh and other Nahars of Indian Freedom Struggle who were born later and got sacrificed like him for the cause of nation!!!!!!

nkkhoth
July 2nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
For 1857 revolt, Nahar Singh had been in touch with the people of Hissar also. Many Jats vowed to fight till death here in Hissar area. Many Jats from north west Haryana revolted. Many flocked to Ballabgarh. Ghar ghar se logon ne lambe chaude bete Nahar Singh ke paas bheje. I can for certainty give proofs of Lambas. Nahar Singh got them settled at Amarpur Village at Ballabgarh offering them fertile land and a few villages. They are even now found over there. Good soldiers at that time, n even today, they are doing well. Most of them are army officers. Beeslas of Ballabgarh perhaps also arrived here during this period.

nknauhwar
July 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
It was again a research article published in newspaper Hindustan Times about 20 years back by some Chaturvedi. Nahar Singh patronised Debi Singh Godha who was spear heading the revolution in Mathura in 1857. There are some villages of Godha Jats in Mathura. Many times Godha fought successful battles with britishers. He was later killed in an encounter.

I've also heard this story. In fact there are a few villages of Tewatias in Mathura. A few IAS officers I know are there from these villages.

Chaudharies of that area invited Raja and expressed the desire of Braj people to revolt against firangi in 1857 under his guidence. Raja personally came secretly not as king but in the dress of a farmer and agreed with them. He suggested them to involve all people irrespective of caste and religion.

sktewatia
July 3rd, 2006, 02:54 AM
it was in fact roti n kamal ka aandolen!

sktewatia
July 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Raja Nahar Singh (1823 – 1858) was a King of princely state Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana, India. The forefathers of Jat Raja Nahar Singh had built a fort in Faridabad around 1739 AD. The small kingdom of Ballabhgarh is only 20 miles from Delhi. The name of the Jat Raja Nahar Singh will always be highly regarded among those who martyred themselves in the 1857 war of independence.

Early History
The founders of the princely state of Ballabgarh had come from village Janauli, which is more than 2000 years old. The Tewatia Jat Sardar Gopal Singh left Janauli in 1705 (in Palwal) and got settled at Sihi, a village of Tewatia Jats in Ballabgarh at a distance of about 5 km from Ballabhgarh. The Mughal ruler Aurangzeb had died. Gopal Singh started establishing power in Delhi and Mathura areas. With the help of Gujars of village ‘Lagon’ he attacked Rajput Chaudhary of that area and did a treaty with Mugal officer Murtija Khan of Faridabad and became Chaudhary of Faridabad pargana in 1710. He wanted to expand his army and collect huge wealth
External links
http://www.pugmarks.com/nahar/history.htm
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wKGkRA8n8_u9myWiaCvJEQDqWWF8MHP4RTYKQopRTjx8qNrwFQ N_Cz2_fT7afzNHEFLuNjcTB3W3B4ySCcz6ZeFYQg0-TR8/1857warofindependence.doc

Burdakji I've never heard this village of Gujjars "Lagon". Faridabad is my home district. Yes, there is a big village "Tigaon" of Gujjars and that is near Sihi. So this may please be corrected accordingly.

Secondly I forgot to tell there is huge/big stadium in Faridabad. This stadium is also named as Nahar Singh Stadium by Haryana Government.