PDA

View Full Version : Can a cow produce 100 calves a year?

vedarya
May 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Dear All,
I was talking to one of my uncle in India yerterday, he was saying that there is some research done in the US in this field. According to this research a cow can produce upto 100 female calves a year ! It looks unbelievable to me, but may be true ! If anyone knows more about it, pls provide some info, internet links etc.

rkumar
May 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Dear All,
I was talking to one of my uncle in India yerterday, he was saying that there is some research done in the US in this field. According to this research a cow can produce upto 100 female calves a year ! It looks unbelievable to me, but may be true ! If anyone knows more about it, pls provide some info, internet links etc.

Arya Sahab,

Emphasis in dairy research is always on milk production and not on the number of calves. News your friend has given is not true..Ofcourse in today's scientific world everything is possible.....

....and on a lighter note now, Gandhari also had 100 sons and one daughter..though I am not sure produced over how long a time...LOL

RK^2

sukhbirsingh
May 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Dear All,
dear arya
Its possible, well we can produce this by two way-
1 Superovulation- In this we can have large no of oocytes by injecting FSH hormone and getting large no of oocytes. and then aspiratating the fertilized oocytes and transfering one fertilized ooctes to large no of cattles. so they will be calf of only one cow but given birth by large no of cows.
2 Ovum pick up from ovaries by ultrasonographic guided needle by this we can get large no of ooctes and subsequently fertilizing them invitro fertlization method. and subsequenttaly transfering them to large no of cows with one fertilized oocytes to each ones.

well by profession i am a vet with specializing in In vitro Fertilization. So it is possible to produce large no of calf from one cow in one year

vedarya
May 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the reply, you have shared very knowledgeable info.