PDA

View Full Version : How rich is India

rkumar
May 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Dear Friends,

If foreign exchange reserves of a country is take as the criteria, India stnads at 5th position in the world today. I am sure this can not be the only indicator of a nationa's financial health. Interestingly China is second, Taiwan third and Hongkong 6th. Hogkong is part of China for all practical purpose and Tiwan will be part of China sooner or later. If we add them all together, China will be number one and well above anyone.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2188rank.html

India needs to move must faster than what we all think if we have to match China's progress..Present level of progress is not going to be sufficient..

RK^2

ssgrewal
May 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Dear Rajinder Ji

I beg to differ on that. I don't feel that is the criteria of judging nation.
But i think consider fact like HDI (Human Development index) and GDP - per capita and sadly in both India is ranked at bottom. These small issue plays more on people life than foreign exchange reserve.

Samir

mukeshkumar007
May 10th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the information.
Yes China's growth rate is high than India. (China's GDP is 9-10 percent where India's GDP is 7-8)
But In democracy it is natural.... if we have the need of democracy then we have to accept little lower growth rate also than China........ China has not to face any political protest on Economic reforms but in India government have to make all the political parties agree on any decision ..... and that is the main reason for the lower growth rate than china.......
By the way I do agree with you that India need to move fats by implementing extra resources ......

mukeshkumar007
May 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM
In both India is ranked at bottom.

Samir
Dear Samir, What is your mean about bottom............. if i am not wrong then bottom ka matlab to paenda hota hai and do you think that India's GDP is at Paenda......... ?

ssgrewal
May 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Yes Yaar it is bottom right in between the coutries of Africa.

http://www.worldbank.org/data/countrydata/aag/ind_aag.pdf

And yes Human development index is pathetic its 132 amoungs 180 odd country.

Sameer

Dear Samir, What is your mean about bottom............. if i am not wrong then bottom ka matlab to paenda hota hai and do you think that India's GDP is at Paenda......... ?

rkumar
May 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Dear Rajinder Ji

I beg to differ on that. I don't feel that is the criteria of judging nation.
But i think consider fact like HDI (Human Development index) and GDP - per capita and sadly in both India is ranked at bottom. These small issue plays more on people life than foreign exchange reserve.

Samir

Even I have said this in my post that this can not be the only indicator of a nationa's financial health. However, if any nation wants to undertake big capital intensive projects like space reasearch atomic energy research etc, the total capital available at the disposal of government matters much more than the PCI.. As of now, India is akin to a big public limited company with small share holders but large in numbers.. ultimately the total paid up capital matters and just not the each share holders worth...

RK^2

ramksehrawat
May 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Dears all,

Though these various indices show that India has done well over the last decade or so, the fact remains that the average citizen is still poor. The gap between the rich and the poor is widening, infrastructure is worse than even some poor African countries, access to education for all is still a dream and in health sector, nothing said the better. Pray that you have not to visit a government hospital. A glass of clean drinking water is luxury for which people have to wake up the whole night to collect a bucket or two. The Governments take pride in promising at least 6 hours supply of electricity per day. If the indices paints a rosy picture, it means that some companies and individuals are certianly reaping the benefits of globalisation but the poor people of India, especially those in rural areas remain unaffected whose lot in steates like BIMARU states at least can easily be compared to those of countries like Bangladesh, Uganda and Somalia. Forget being a rich country, even to call ourselves a middle class country, we have yet to work very hard. India is not what we see in the computer/TV screen before us. If you want to see India than try to bring a bucket of water from a municipal tap or locate a reasonably clean public lavatory, or try to get admission for your ward in a school by taking just one day's leave or even get all text books for them on a single day. Even after 57 years of independence can you expect to reach your relations 40 kms. away within one hour even in your own car. But the pity is that instead of doing anything concrete to solve all these problems, we too can only right long notes, like our able politicians and bureaucrates who take pride only in promising "ye karna hai, woh karenge". Arre bhai maja to jab aye ki janta ko kisi din yeh bataya jaye ki "aj se 12 ghanta pani milega, isliye tap band karna na bhulen".

mukeshkumar007
May 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Dear Sehrawat Uncleji,
What points you have raised in your post are completely true and wholly observed. The gap between rich and poor is continuously increasing. The condition of health system and transportation is really very weak in rural areas. One picture of India is very shining (that called India) and another picture is very pitiable (That called Bharat). But for this situation we are also responsible. None is ready to take his responsibility. We always look toward the government for the solution of any problem whether it is big or little. Our mentality is become dependable on others. Our local politicians and administration have became NISKARIYE ... people of every villages are divided in many parties and are busy in ek dusre ki tang and they are not thinking for the development of villages, Aaj ek bi officer , doctor , teacher village maie appointment nahi chata hai, sabko city dikhi deti hai jeha par sari suvidaye ho...... then tell me how can you expect for a big change from the government in rural areas......... Government JAGRUK LOGO KE LIYE HI HOTI, SOYE HUWE LOGO KE LIYE.
Let me put an example of my village. in my village there is a middle school, some educated people want to make it secondary because students have to go in other villages for the further study. So that some people have called a meeting and that time's M.L.A was also invited. In that meeting villagers have given a demand to the m.l.a to convert this school into secondary. But this school have not got convert into secondary due to the internal protest of some villagers..... Yeh to BALA ho ki ek private secondary school khool gai warna ...
so we want good picture of our rural area then first need is we have forget our silly dispute (like political wise, status wise) and try to think for the progress of rural ares... otherwise .to........ As you said that status of cleaning into government hospital is very bad but I am unable to found few 10% people who are careering the public places.... Agar Pani pure 12 hours ane laga to sarhko par pani pani ho jayega kyoki yeha par koi band karne jitna bi KAST nahi utana chata , and kehenge government ko employee lagana chiye band karne ke liye.......

PS. Its all my personal opinion if anyone don't like then plz don't mind...

rkumar
May 11th, 2005, 01:57 PM
No doubts, rural India remains deprived of befits of the globalisation. Any government in DElhi knows it fully well that they can not win next election without doing some thing for the rural economy. BJP's India shining propaganda could not win it elections. Man Mohan Singh and company also knows it fully well. What we are lacking are the Rural pressure groups who can keep sitting on the throats of politicians in between the elections. Movements like maoists are the results of such uneven development. However, once again, one needs money for rural development and that has to come from India making it good at international level.

RK^2

sandeepbalyan
May 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Yes I do agree with views written by members here and wanna put some more points with regard to scope of improving or uplifting of the current country state.

These are few of my suggestion for improving real picture of INDIA not the media hype i.e India shining :-

Most of the government own institutions should be privatised.It is assumed here, that in way of dis-investemnt lots of politicains and beaurocrats will also
fill there pockets and their is no way to stop it, as all are "chor chor mau-sere bhai" .

Inspector rules should demolished and some new strategy should be implemented as inspectors do not do their duty with fairness.

Process of uncovering of the black money should be brought in action , I hope it will really add high number to the current country capital figures.

Allowing more foreign investment in infrastructure,Real estate,agriculture,Research & development and healthcare.

More subsidies on low scale industries i.e by providing access to technology and making easy norms for getting a loan without the percentage that concerned goverment official take before releasing loans.

Make tough rules to hold bright students to go abroad for a long term carrier, for example if One studied in IIT (or any good institute) should work for INDIA minimum 5 Years in INDIA . Not going onsided government should provide people in this categories high wages and facilities.

We indians are rich in brain and that is the most powerfull thing for development.

Slogan "IF YOU HAVE MONEY YOU HAVE EVERY THING ON YOUR DOORSTEPS" fits too much for INDIA

I know their can be more points that can be included in list above and I heartly welcome all of them.