PDA

View Full Version : Sehrawats

rksehrawat
May 28th, 2004, 07:31 PM
In early 1980s, there was an agitation against IGI Airport by people of adjoining villages, mainly Sehrawats. In that context, Hindustan Times had carried in its Sunday magazine, history of Sehrawat jats. Does anybody have a copy ?

JAT for Justice And Truth

raj2rif
September 6th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Dear Mr. Sehrawat,

You may find most of the material from the Jat organizations in Bharatpur. I was able to get my family history from the Bhats those come from Bharatpur. I don't know about the article but, if you get a copy of it, Kindly do paste it on web site for us to read.

rkumar
September 6th, 2004, 06:29 PM
r.k. sehrawat (May 28, 2004 10:01 a.m.):
In early 1980s, there was an agitation against IGI Airport by people of adjoining villages, mainly Sehrawats. In that context, Hindustan Times had carried in its Sunday magazine, history of Sehrawat jats. Does anybody have a copy ?

JAT for Justice And Truth

Certainly you will be able to get from Hindustan Times archive library. Just call them. They will charge you some money.

Rajendra

rksehrawat
October 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Though I do not fully recall the facts in a chronological order whatever I could recollect about the history is as follows :

When Prithvi Raj Chauhan was facing attacks from Ghauri and was deserted by others, he turned to jats. Though Kak says they were approached through erstwhile khestrapals of Ashoka in Eastern and Western parts of UP, I mayself am confused as there is a long gap between two reigns and wonder whether kshetrapals appointed by Ashokas existed at that time. Anyway, the story goes that after Prithvi Raj was defeated faudulently by Ghori, the jats did not go back wherever they came from but settled down in Mehrauli and the surrounding areas mainly Mahipalpur. Though they were said to be kshetrapals, there is no reliable information available to show how the word got distorted to sehrawat/sherawat, some people say they were named sehrawat as Mahrauli was considered to be a city and when they shifted from there to countryside they were called sehrawats (meaning coming from city).

The first village where they settled down was Mahipalpur (just northwest) named after the chieftain Mahipal jat. Later, in due course Rangpuri (about 2 kilometres away) was founded by Ranga and Nangal Devat (farther west) by Nanga, younger brother of Ranga. From there the Sehrawats migrated to other areas mainly towards west Delhi, mainly Najafgarh areas, in 17th century, because the deep wells it depended on were running dry as well as for reasons of attacks by thugs.

There is another story that during Aurangjeb's time when his officers went to collect chauth from the jats of Mahipalpur, one Jagat Singh, refused to pay the tax and even attacked them with jaily. To escape from capture and punishment he ran away with his family to the dense forest westward where now stands village Kair. Kair village at that time was a small hamlet inhabited by brahmins. While in hide they were seen by the Brahmins. Fearing that they could report their whereabouts to the authorities, Jagat Singh attacked the Brahmins and killed them all. Elders used to tell that the blood had spilled to the extent that the village pond had turned red for which reason it is still called chhaprala. The village still worship its founder "Dada Jagde".

In the 18th century, Masudpur village came up half way between Mahipalpur and Mehrauli. Kishangarh, further east of Masudpur, is the only village in the area that is of recent vintage and came up in the 1940s, when a single family moved out of Mehrauli and settled there. One thing more which I noticed from this piece of history or myth whatever you may recall that the movement has always been westward, wonder whether it is just a coincidence or something else.

Could someone throw light on the above?

ravichaudhary
October 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
[quote]r.k. sehrawat (Oct 03, 2004 04:22 a.m.):

Who is Kak?

ranjitjat
October 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
DEAR ALL
Kak a historian.
Seharawat sahib.
Other brother Sukha from mahipal pur went to Sukhrali and founded that village.
Their is some truth in story of war with muslims.
Another village is Berod of Lt-Gen Sahrawat near Mathenhale in Jhajjar dist.
next village is Kachroli of Pawar/Panwar gotra has blood relation with you.
3 Next villages are Sansanwal. Patuwas- Mahrana- Kheri Sansanwal.
Next is Jhadli of Sansanwal and Dudi.
Close To Dohkiya which is our Dudi old village.
According to some people these Gotra were in Rajsathan around Sinsani- Bharatpur . They were in Maharaja Surajmal Army. After wars with muslims in Delhi they move to these jangal area toward Jahjjar- Rewari.
The East of Yamuna was also over papulated so they move westward.

Other people saying. These people were old ruler Khokara Kot a ancient kingdom of aryan time. Now village Jhasava. These above villages are around Khokara Kot- Now Jhasava Kalan- Khurd
I visited this site many times with Swami OMANAND JI. More marerial from Khokara kot is in Gurukal Jhajjar museum for further research.
More next time
Cheers
Dharmpal Dudee

sumitsehrawat
June 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I am from the same Mahipalpur.

Could you please provide me with more information.

Thanks in advance.

$umit

ramksehrawat
July 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Sumit, since you are based in India, getting the information from the Hindustan Times should be easier for you, other references will then be easier.

ratananmol
July 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
Dear Interested Friends:
Since my grandmother hails from Mahipalpur i have some interest in unearthing the story. I think Mr. Yudhvir Singh Sehrawat of Mahipalpur whose details appear on this site may be able to dig out things if you run into roadblocks. You may contact him directly on the numbers listed or get in touch with me for his cell since he is too closely aligned with social work related to farmers (or uprooted or transformed farmers).
Best.Anmol

deepshi
April 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM
frm mahipalpur..!:)

Thanks in advance.

$umit

keshavdahiya
April 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM
arre suniye bhai SUMIT is Gulabo urf pinki urf Deepshika ki mummy bhi mahipalpur ki hain......kolli bhariye bhai iiske bhi........ruuuuukkkkaaaaaa:)

Thanks in advance.

$umit

sktewatia
April 10th, 2006, 09:15 PM
rrrrre tumm mahipalpur ke chakkar me sehrawat got ki kyun bhindi karann laag rre ssso?

It used 2 be a big got of jats n had 5 confideracies, like later marathas. The 5 western Kshahratt are often mentioned by historians. They were the branch of Jats to guard against Hunas that time.