PDA

View Full Version : Punjab, the Bhakra Dam and Sir Chotu Ram

ravichaudhary
July 19th, 2004, 06:11 AM
In the current dispute on the Sutlej Yamuna Link, it is forgotten whose inspired vision and work changed the future and destiny of the poor farmer in Punjab.
Chotu Ram died in 1946. With his death and the partition of India and the Punjab, his Unionist party died.
The void was filled by the Congress, and Shri Ram Sharma, a Pandit, and minister of the Bilaspur Raja. who had been the a strong opponent of the Dam, was appointed Chief Minister of Punjab.
The Dam and the canals were completed. The second phase the Rajastan Canal was completed. These two brought prosperity to Rajastan and the northwest Punjab.
In 1967 the state of Punjab was divided once more, into three states, Punjab, Haryana and Himachal.
South East Punjab, now Haryana was historically not well treated. It was given to the Punjab in reward for the active military help the Punjab provided to the British in 1857. It was formerly part of the Sarv Khap of Haryana which stretched from Punjab into UP and Madhya Pradesh. The Sarv Khap was broken up and this part became part of South East Punjab

These areas and the people were punished by the British and exploited by the new masters.
Development resources were denied, including the construction of new canals and its share of the waters.
Ironically the division of the old Punjab into three states, created a new situation, which the people of Haryana used to develop its land into a prosperous state, with industry and agriculture going hand in hand.
The poor farmer was still plagued by a shortage of water.
Rather than continue Chotu Ram’s vision and use the waters of the North to benefit the populace, a delaying rear guard cynical action was fought, and now some 60 years after Independence the Congress Government has cynically created a divide, refuted all agreements, including being contemptuous of the Supreme Court, and created a bitterness between Jats of Punjab and Jats of Haryana, which will be difficult to heal.

Jats being their normal quarrelsome selves refuse to see their common interests are best served by cooperation not confrontation.
History repeats itself.

For the story of the Bhakra Dam see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/1563

abhishek
July 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Ravi I appreciate your efforts regarding our history. But I can not understand your idea to project it on state-to-state relations and other political issues. As a hint how about two nation theory which was basis of partition of india and fact that rejection of it by India is the root of all the problems in south asia?

ranjitjat
July 19th, 2004, 10:24 PM
DEAR RAVI

Your account about CH SIR CHHOTU RAM & BHAKRA DAM IS CORRECT.
BUT PT. SHRIRAM SHARMA WAS ONLY MINISTER IN JOINT PUNJAB NEVER A CM.
IN FACT NO HARYANVI OR HINDU JAT WAS ABLE TO BE CHIEF MINISTER IN
JOINT PUNJAB, THAT WAS THE MAIN REASON FOR DEMAND OF HARYANA STATE .
WHICH WAS FORMED ON 1ST NOV 1966.

BEFORE 1947 IN UNITED PUNJAB CM USED TO BE ALWAYS A MUSLIM. THOUGH
CH CHHOTU RAM WAS PRESIDENT OF UNITED PARTY. OR JAMIDAR- KISAN PARTY.

AFTER 1947 THE FRIST CM WAS GOPICHAND BHARGAV. SECOND WAS BHIMSEN
SACHAR. BOTH PUNJABI HINDU.
3RD WAS PARTAP SINGH CARIO A JATT SIKH
4TH WAS COMRADE RAMKISHAN- A PANJABI HINDU.
NEVER A HARYANVI OR A JAT.
THE FIRST JAT CM WAS CH BANSILAL IN HARYANA
2 CH DEVILAL
3 MASTER HUKAM SINGH
4 CH OMPARKASH CHAUTALA

THAT IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW YOUR HISTORY.
RAVI YOUR EFFORT TO RE-WRITE CORRECT JAT HISTORY IS COMMANDABLE.
PARNTU ES BABLI KAUM KO SAMJHANA BHAGWAN KE WAS KA BHI KONI.
THAT IS WHY I GIVEN UP.
COMMON RE_ACTION I GOT ON THIS SITE IS

HISTORY KY MARO GOLI- EDUCATION KI SAOCHOO.
ABOUT JAT HISTORY BOOKS.
BHAI MAENE YAH KITAB LIKHI HISTORY KI VAH LIKHI-
UUS CM SY MILA_ US PM SY MILA-----------
USAKO BOOK PRESENT KARI-----
1 BOOK HAMKO BHI DAE_DAENA KY HORI SSSSSS.
THIS SHORT OF PERSONAL ATTACK WAS ALLOWED ON THIS SITE.
SOME FRIENDS ASKING ME THE REASON FOR NOT WRITING ANY MORE.
THAT IS THE REASON I AM NOT WRITING.

DHARMPAL DUDEE

<ravichaudhary2000@y...> wrote:
> In the current dispute on the Sutlej Yamuna Link, it is forgotten
> whose inspired vision and work changed the future and destiny of
the
> poor farmer in Punjab.
>
> Chotu Ram died in 1946. With his death and the partition of India
and
> the Punjab, his Unionist party died.
>
>
> The void was filled by the Congress, and Shri Ram Sharma, a
Pandit,
> and minister of the Bilaspur Raja. who had been the a strong
> opponent of the Dam, was appointed Chief Minister of Punjab.
>
>
> The Dam and the canals were completed. The second phase the
Rajastan
> Canal was completed. These two brought prosperity to Rajastan and
the
> northwest Punjab.
>
>
> In 1967 the state of Punjab was divided once more, into three
states,
> Punjab, Haryana and Himachal.
>
>
> South East Punjab, now Haryana was historically not well treated.
It
> was given to the Punjab in reward for the active military help the
> Punjab provided to the British in 1857. It was formerly part of
the
> Sarv Khap of Haryana which stretched from Punjab into UP and
Madhya
> Pradesh. The Sarv Khap was broken up and this part became part of
> South East Punjab
>
> These areas and the people were punished by the British and
exploited
> by the new masters.
>
>
> Development resources were denied, including the construction of
new
> canals and its share of the waters.
>
>
> Ironically the division of the old Punjab into three states,
created
> a new situation, which the people of Haryana used to develop its
land
> into a prosperous state, with industry and agriculture going hand
in
> hand.
>
>
> The poor farmer was still plagued by a shortage of water.
> Rather than continue Chotu Ram's vision and use the waters of the
> North to benefit the populace, a delaying rear guard cynical
action
> was fought, and now some 60 years after Independence the
Congress
> Government has cynically created a divide, refuted all agreements,
> including being contemptuous of the Supreme Court, and created a
> bitterness between Jats of Punjab and Jats of Haryana, which will
be
> difficult to heal.
>
> Jats being their normal quarrelsome selves refuse to see their
common
> interests are best served by cooperation not confrontation.
> History repeats itself.
>
> For the story of the Bhakra Dam see
>
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/1563

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/0EHolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
JatHistory-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

DeleteReplyForwardSpam Move...
Previous | Next | Back to Messages Save Message Text

ravichaudhary
July 20th, 2004, 05:22 AM
[quote]Abhishek Dhama (Jul 19, 2004 12:26 p.m.):
Ravi I
But I can not understand your idea to project it on state-to-state relations and other political issues.

That is why we discuss history, so that we can understand what is happenng around us.

For example, and I do not know what you do for a living, and I mean no disrespect, but if you did not understand the environment you are in, you would fail.

How do understand the environment, unless you know how it was created.

Current problems of society, social, religious, economic, do not get created in a vacumn, in isolation.

They have causes, and it is important to understand the causes, to arrive at the effects, and to develop solutions.

Much like a doctor studies the history of the patient.

Many Jats today, think they can ignore what goes on around them, they pride themsleves on simplicity , hard work, and then are shocked and hurt when they lose out.

{As a hint how about two nation theory which was basis of partition of india and fact that rejection of it by India is the root of all the problems in south asia?

/quote]}

Why do you not start a separate thread about this.

Are you not making "quite " a bold statement,that it was because of India's rejection of the two nation theory, that we have our current problems in South Asia ?

Ravi

ravichaudhary
July 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM
[quote]Dharmpal Singh Dudee (Jul 19, 2004 12:54 p.m.):
DEAR RAVI
Dear Dudhee sahib

What you do, have done, your immense contribution, original research, are such things that will bring immortality to your name.

You are a pioneer.

That is a lonely task.

Even if people knew how to thank you, they do not how to express themselves.

if some ignorant person passes an undesirable comment, please ignore it.

Please do not deprive the rest of us of your learning

Ravi

ravichaudhary
September 14th, 2004, 09:51 PM
rajendra

Would this be a good start, for learning something about Chotu Ram's contribution.

See also re Khosla's claim re raising of height of dam

compare with data in the writeup, which predate independence

ravi

rkumar
September 14th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Ravi Chaudhary (Sep 14, 2004 12:21 p.m.):
rajendra

Would this be a good start, for learning something about Chotu Ram's contribution.

See also re Khosla's claim re raising of height of dam

compare with data in the writeup, which predate independence

ravi

Ravi,

I never denied about Sir Chotu Ram's contribution. Please read the original thread on Freedom fighters. The issue came on Ch Charan Singh. You brought Sir Chotu Ram and gave a comparison. This is where the controversy came. One can not compare people by choosing a simple yardstick. There is no proof that Sir Choturam was the sole person responsible for Bhakra Dam. It was almost half centuary effort of so many technocrates and others. Yes he also must have played vital role being a potential benifiary of the area. Let us not mix two issues. Let us carry on that same thread where two leaders were being compared.

Rajendra

ravichaudhary
September 15th, 2004, 02:01 AM
It is not a matter of denying his contribution.

You are concerned why he is called Sir Chotu Ram , and the way you put it, it comes across, that in your mind that is because he is a British collaborator(?).

There is difference between denying,,and wholeheartedly acknowledging something

Until 15 years ago I did know who Chotu Ram was

He is that much out of our minds.

Yet the more I study about him, the more I am impressed

Why did no Jat seek to honour his memory and his contribution ??

Every school child knows knows about the Bhakra Nangal Dam

None know it was Chotu Ram's perseverance that made it happen

It was his gift to India.

The Bhakra Nangal dam should have been called the Sir Chotu Ram Dam.

Then yes, every school child would have known who Chotu Ram was.

Every Jat would have too.

Why did Charan Singh or other Jats not fight for this.?

Ravi

rkumar
September 15th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Ravi Chaudhary (Sep 14, 2004 04:31 p.m.):
It is not a matter of denying his contribution.

You are concerned why he is called Sir Chotu Ram , and the way you put it, it comes across, that in your mind that is because he is a British collaborator(?).

There is difference between denying,,and wholeheartedly acknowledging something

Until 15 years ago I did know who Chotu Ram was

He is that much out of our minds.

Yet the more I study about him, the more I am impressed

Why did no Jat seek to honour his memory and his contribution ??

Every school child knows knows about the Bhakra Nangal Dam

None know it was Chotu Ram's perseverance that made it happen

It was his gift to India.

The Bhakra Nangal dam should have been called the Sir Chotu Ram Dam.

Then yes, every school child would have known who Chotu Ram was.

Every Jat would have too.

Why did Charan Singh or other Jats not fight for this.?

Ravi

I would very much appreciate if you can give me some references where his name is doccumented. I am sure he must have attened some meetings or something of the sort. We will then take up the matter to some appropriate authorties ..But I need some hard writen evidence..Please don't misundersatnd that I am downplaying anything..Bhakhra Nangal dam is not something prehistoric that we can not get records.

Rajendra

ravichaudhary
September 15th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Why do we not start with

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/files/

Bhakra Dam.doc
The Bhakra Nangal Dam and Sir Chotu Ram

The extract is from a book by Dr Balbir Singh, Sir Chotu Ram Man and Mission , available from the Surajamal Jat eduactional Society, C-4 Janakpuri , New Delhi ,for Rs 100/-

A slim volume 192 pages- an easy read, a must for anyone trying to learn something about this phenomenal, yet humble person

R S Joon, in his book "History of the Jats" see files section, of the Yahoo Jat history group, aslo has a very interesting chapter on him

The files section needs membershio, but that is a click away

Ravi

ravichaudhary
September 15th, 2004, 06:10 AM
The story of the Bhakra - Nangal Dam: The Parting Gift

an extract from the book:
Sir Chotu Ram - the Man and Mission
Author: Dr Balbir Singh, 1995 192 pages
Sir Chotu Ram Janam Sathan Trust, Rohtak

Available from:
Surajmal Memorial Education Society, C-4, Janakpuri, New Delhi
Price Rs 100/-

In the early part of the present century an English superintendent engineer, Nicholson, stumbled upon a plan to build a massive dam at a site of the mountainous Bhakra in the Punjab. This was conceived in such a way that it could irrigate the dry. arid districts of the -south-east Punjab, notably Rohtak, Hissar and Gurgaon (which comprised the two present
districts of Mahender Garh and Rewari). For a number of years the whole plan gathered dust in the official files of the secretaries of the concerned departments, namely, the Finance and Irrigation, and when none came forward to pursue it, it was sent to cold storage.

It was Chotu Ram who had heard of some such plan when he entered the Punjab Council in 1923, and took keen interest in its broad objectives. After having studied its basic implications for a number of years and having been convinced of its extremely beneficial results for a vast part of the Haryana region, he started raising questions on the floor of the House. The scheme made much headway when he pursued it during the two yesrs of his ministership. But after he was a mere member of the House he found his ministerial colleagues having developed cold feet. Chhotu Ram talked to some of his agriculturist colleagues and was successful in enlisting their cooperation.

Once he rose to speak on the subject thus:

"After these remarks I may be allowed to come to a subject which has always occupied an abiding place in my heart, namely, the Bhakra Dam Project. I have just now spoken of the distressing economic conditions prevailing in the district of Hissar. I also stated that Gurgaon and Rohtak districts were not much better. As a matter of fact, these three districts in the Ambala Division have always been the prey of repeated famines and droughts. These districts are, really speaking, economic plague spots in our province, and if the Government is earnest about affording permanent relief of the inhabitants of this part of this province, the only thing to be done is early steps in the construction of the Bhakra Dam Project. Four years ago this House passed a resolution unanimously in favour of the Project and the Government accepted that resolution. The Hon'ble Revenue Member stated at that time that the Government was definitely committed to the Scheme and that he would do his level best to make a beginning with the Scheme, though he did not expect to complete the construction of this Project during his tenure of office. [1]

Intervening in the discussion Sikandar Hayat Khan asked as to the year in which the resolution was passed. Prompt came the reply: 28th February 1929.

"This resolution", Chaudhary Sahib said, "was accepted by the Government quite willingly and with good grace. But after the lapse of four long years we are still practically where we. Were in 1929." Sir Henry Craik, Finance Member to the Government of the Punjab, interrupted Ch. Sahib to inform that the Government had already spent over 10 lakhs of rupees.

Ch. Sahib resumed his speech and said,

"Yes, the Government spent over 10 lakhs on surveys but that does not carry us very far.

If my information is correct then even final estimates have not yet been completed. Whether the preparation of these estimates has been undertaken in earnest or not, I do not know. All that I remember is that in answer to a question put by me the Hon'ble Revenue Member stated that an officer had been placed on special duty to revise the estimates. Whether that revision has now been finished or has not been finished I am not in a position to say. But beyond the surveys that have been carried out by the Government of India Survey Party, nothing also has been done. Of course, these surveys have cost the Government a good large sum. Ten or twelve lakhs of rupees is not a small amount. But beyond that nothing has been done.

After the entire first thing about the project that is essential is the preparation of detailed estimates. These detailed estimates have not so far been completed. Whether work on them has actually been started, I do not know. Mere revision may not mean much. Original estimates were framed in 1918, or 1919 and they are entirely out of dates.

Conditions in 1918-1919 were entirely different from conditions that prevail now. Therefore, I beg to submit with as much emphasis as I can command that final estimates should be completed at as early a date as possible and vigorous attempts should be made in order to secure the sanction of the Government of India and the Secretary of State. As soon as the necessary sanction has been received, vigorous efforts should be made to start construction of the project and to complete it within as short a time as is humanly possible.

As long as the Bhakra Dam project fails to materialize, the people of the south-eastern Punjab will continue to be the prey of repeated famines and droughts. After all, the repetition of these droughts and famines in itself cost the Government a good deal. I find, from a communique, which was issued by the Government or by the Director of Information Bureau on its behalf, that thirty-two lakhs of rupees were spent during the last two years alone and practically in the two districts of Gurgaon and Hissar. All this expenditure will practically disappear if facilities for irrigating lands in that part of the country are provided. I will not press this point any further while I am discussing the budget in general." [2]

Some time later Chaudhary Saheb moved a resolution in the House, which read as follows:

"That this Council recommends to the Government that vigorous attempts should be made to obtain the sanction of the Government of India and the Secretary of State for the execution of the Bhakra Dam Project and actual execution of the Project should be taken in hand without any avoidable delay as soon as the requisite sanction has been obtained. "[3]

After the resolution was adopted and accepted in the House Chaudhary Saheb went on:

"First of all, I would like to say a few words about the history of the Bhakra Dam Project. The site for constructing a dam in order to reserve the water of the Sutlej for the purpose of irrigation was discovered as early as 25 years ago. The preliminary enquiry about the Project was started in 1915. In 1919 the estimates were-completed and the preliminary enquiry came to an end. The result of the enquiry was reported to the Government in a bulky volume. It was proposed in this report that the site should be 400 feet high. The area to be irrigated by the Project was calculated to be 25 lakhs of acres, and its total expenditure was estimated at Rs. 14,44,74,926.

In view of these facts and figures the Government expected that even those tracts where irrigation facilities did not already exist would be provided with them, and that in future they would be safe from the devastating effects of famines.

In January 1919 an assurance was held out by Sir Michael O'Dwyer, the then Lieutenant-Governor of the Punjab, in an open durbar at Rohtak, where a large number of the representatives of the Ambala Division assembled, that irrigation projects were under contemplation which, when executed would turn the vast jungles of Haryana into mangal.

But even today after 14 years we see those jungles still exist and the promised mangal is still far out of sight. In 1922 or 1923 the Government all of a sudden changed its opinion about this scheme for two main reasons: firstly, because it feared that the rock at the site where it was proposed to erect a bund was not sufficiently solid and strong to bear the pressure of water which will accumulate behind the dam, and, secondly, because if that scheme was started it was very doubtful whether the income derived from it would be enough to meet its working expenses and defray the interest charges on the capital expenditure incurred on this scheme. Consequently, the Government hesitated to take the scheme in hand. At the same time there was another scheme under contemplation of Government, and that was the Thai Project, which, in the opinion of the Government, would not only bring more income to the province by the auction of Crown waste lands but would also add to the prosperity of the people.

In 1924 I moved a resolution in the House, which was accepted by Government with certain modifications. The Government then agreed to take the Bhakra Dam Scheme in hand as soon as the construction of the Thai Project had sufficiently advanced to admit of the work on the Bhakra Project being undertaken, provided, of course, the Council sanctioned money for the purpose and the scheme was found sound from the financial and engineering points of view.

Consequently, in 1925 the Government appointed geologists to look into this scheme and report as to whether the site chosen for the Dam was a practicable one, and whether a bund could be erected there without any risk of water making fissures in the rock and devastating the districts around.

The report submitted by these experts was favorable but they suggested that Government, in order to make assurance doubly sure, should send for a specialist from America.

Thereupon it was decided by Government to send an officer (Mr. Nicholson) to America to study the dams there, and to bring along with him a specialist to report on the possibilities of the scheme. Consequently, Mr. Wiley was brought here. He saw the site, examined the rock and reported that it was sufficiently strong to bear the pressure of the water that will accumulate behind the Dam, and that there was no danger of its breaking through and harming the districts around.

Mr. Wiley further advised the Government to make a dam 500 feet in height instead of a dam 400 feet high.

ravichaudhary
September 15th, 2004, 06:15 AM
The Government then indicated its willingness to take this scheme in hand. The estimates of expenditure were, therefore, revised and increased to Rs. 23, 48, 53,484 in 1926. But this increase in expenditure meant a corresponding increase in the area to be irrigated by the scheme. Where originally estimated expenditure amounted to 14 crores of rupees for irrigating 25 lakhs of acres of land the revised estimates of expenditure amounted to 23,50,00,000 crores of rupees for irrigating 47, 50,000 lakhs of acres of land, that is to say, the area to be irrigated by the Scheme almost doubled itself and the estimated expenditure increased by about 60 per cent."

Another resolution was moved in this House in 1929. While speaking on it the Hon'ble Mian Fazl-i-Husain remarked as follows: "Now I am glad to say that the Council has arrived at an agreement, and what is that agreement? It is that the Council as well as the Punjab Government is definitely committed to the Bhakra Dam Scheme."

Chhotu Ram continued:

"An objection is often raised, and it is often possible that the Hon'ble Finance Member and the Hon'ble Chief Engineer may also raise it today, that the Scheme is unremunerative and that the income that would be derived from it would hardly meet its working expenses and defray the interest on the capital incurred on this Scheme. But the Government should not act in a bania spirit. Its administration should not be run merely on the principles of shop keeping. It should not always think in terms of money.

The foremost object that a Government should have in view should be the welfare of its subjects. There are many canals in the Central Provinces and Bombay which are unprofitable and which have been constructed only with a view to promoting the welfare of the people. The Punjab Government has always claimed credit for promoting the welfare of their subjects. But the position taken up by them with regard to the schemes like the one under consideration is irreconcilable with their pious professions. To say that, unless a scheme is remunerative it should not be taken in hand even if it may be very conducive to the well being of the people is against the basic principles, of good government. It is the foremost duty of a government to look after the welfare of its subjects and to provide them adequate protection. Here I may point out to the government that in certain parts of the Hissar district famines recur very frequently, and in consequence they have to start famine works, remit a considerable amount of land revenue and grant taccavi to the people. To avoid this expenditure the execution of this Scheme is essential. I understand that in the Gurgaon district the Government had to forego 42 lakhs of rupees already advanced to the people as taccavi loan. If this Scheme is taken in hand certain parts of this district will get irrigation facilities and the Government will be saved from spending huge sums of public money on taccavi."

Dispelling doubts that any part of the Gurgaon district would benefit from this Scheme, Chhotu Ram continued. "There are certain parts of the district which can and will derive benefit from this Scheme. Anyhow, Hissar is a bigger district than Gurgaon both in area and population. The former has been very often a prey to famine and drought, and the Government; therefore, have to spend a good deal in starting famine works. In the tehsils of Hissar, Sirsa, Fatehabad and Kaithal (Kamah district), the Government has been remitting a very considerable amount of land-revenue, granting big sums as taccavi to the zamindars and spending a lot of public money in starting famine works. This heavy expenditure can be avoided if the Scheme under discussion is executed. Besides, in these places the system of fluctuating revenue is in vogue, that is to say, that Government charges land revenue only on matured crops. The system can be replaced by the system of fixed revenue if this Scheme is carried out. The income that would be derived from this source would be a permanent one. With the prosperity of the people litigation will increase, the value of their property will increase and, therefore, in consequence of a larger number of cases of sale, mortgage, and gift the Government will get more revenue in the form of stamp fees. The excise revenue will also increase, for it cannot be denied that with the increasing prosperity of the people, the curse of drinking will also spread. If people become rich their purchasing power will increase. They would purchase foreign goods and Government will realize more revenue in the form of customs duty leveled on these goods. The people will begin traveling by railways and, consequently, the income of the Railway Department will also increase. Trade will flourish and new centers of trade will come into existence. By these means not only the people would gain but the Government will also indirectly get a very large revenue."

It was Chhotu Ram's strenuous task to convince the Government that the construction of the Bhakra Dam was by all means a necessity for the drought-prone districts of Rohtak, Hissar and Gurgaon, He wanted that the Government should not think in terms of profit or loss but in terms of the welfare of people. "I am really sorry to observe that our Government has in fact become a bania government, I am sure no government can efficiently work on bania principles. God never intended governments to be always calculating, for in that case there would be very little difference between a bania's shop and a government administration. I hope that the Government will realize the force of my argument.

"There is yet another point to which I wish to draw the attention of the Government in this connection. The lands in this part of the province are very fertile. They have been lying in the main fallow for many centuries past and their productive power has suffered none of the deterioration which results from continued cultivation. To prove that these lands are very fertile I need only quote the figures received by the Government itself regarding the yield at the Government farm at Sirsa. I understand the maximum yield of cotton from one acre of land at this farm was about 40 maunds, and the average yield per acre of the same crop came to about 27 maunds. Now these figures clearly show that it will be extremely profitable to arrange to irrigate this part of the province. And it will be really a matter for both sorrow and surprise if such a fertile tract of land is not made use of simply for want of water for the welfare and prosperity of mankind particularly when nearly all those obstacles which at first stood in the way of undertaking the Bhakra Dam Project have disappeared. After the joint meeting of the engineers of the Punjab and the Bombay Governments who considered the question in detail, it is now a settled fact that by the starting of this project no harm will come to Sukkur Barrage Scheme. These engineers reported after full consideration that even after water had been taken from the Sutlej River for this project there would yet be sufficient water available for the Sukkur Barrage Scheme. As far as I remember this report was submitted to the Government on 15th December 1930. So far as our own Government was concerned, the matter had been finally decided on the 26thFebruary 1929, and when the obstacle created by the objection of the Bombay Government to the Scheme had been removed, the Government could have easily proceeded with the further stage of the project. But I am sorry to observe that during these four years the Government has done nothing in connection with the Project. As far as I know, it has not been able to complete even the detailed estimates so far. All that it has been doing all these years is to get those rough figures of estimates examined and reviewed which were originally prepared by a particular officer, ft has not even thought it proper to employ on this work continuously an officer well acquainted with all the aspects of the Scheme, who took special interest in it, and who would have worked out all the details by this time. In short, very little zeal has been shown for completing even the preliminary stage of this Project.

"I understand that there is another difficulty which has cropped up in the way of the execution of the Bhakra Dam Project, and that is that the Raja of Bilaspur State is not prepared to agree to accept land in any part of the British territory in lieu of the land which will come under this Project, f should think that it is not a new difficulty, and that it must have been present even at the time when the Punjab Government negotiated with the Raja at some period between 1915 and 1919. I am further inclined to think that during these four or five years when the Government was negotiating with the Raja some sort of settlement must have been arrived at, and the Raja must have been brought round to waive that objection. At least this is what the people outside think. But even if for the sake of argument it is admitted that the Raja of Bilaspur did not give his consent originally, and has not made up his mind up to this time. I am not prepared to believe that he is not amenable to reason, and that even if he is made to understand what advantages will accrue to him and his people, he will still remain adamant and will not realize the benefits to himself and his State if this Project is executed."

"While on this point I may as well remind the Government that the people of Rohtak and Hissar districts, for whose benefit this Project is to be started, are very poor. On account of their poverty labour in these districts is very cheap. The famine works in Hissar prove that at present you can get any number of stout and stalwart men for five paise a day, any number of women for four paise and children in any number for three paise a day. I may also inform the Government that the relief works, which it was compelled to start in this district only recently, will not be able to absorb even a fraction of the cheap labour which is clamouring for work when the season has changed, and when many of them will be able to stir out of their huts. During winter many families having had only one blanket to cover each of them were not able to come to the works because all the members were not wanted on the works and none could be left behind. But now they will swarm in great numbers on these works, and this is why I have said that these works will not suffice to provide work for all of them. These are the conditions in which these people live, and if for their sake even if the Government has to go out of its way to persuade those who oppose this Project, it will be justified in doing so. I may repeat for the twentieth time that under these circumstances it will not be in keeping with the dignity of such a powerful Government to think in terms of money. With these words I commend this resolution for the acceptance of the House. I hope and trust that the Government as well as private members will accept this resolution cheerfully and unhesitatingly."

ravichaudhary
September 15th, 2004, 06:17 AM
The only obstacle to the undertaking of the construction at the Bhakra Dam site was the bureaucratic red tapism. It was in 1937 that Chhotu Ram again raised the matter on the floor of the House in his capacity as the Minister for Development.

He said:

"It is one of the most essential projects which should be given effect to if real substantial good is to be done to the peasants of the Punjab. But I say at once that so far as Government is concerned it is not at all to blame. Government has always been and still is prepared to undertake the construction of the Bhakra Dam Project as soon as certain difficulties, which are standing in the way, are removed. So far as I am concerned personally, I may inform the House that, as soon as the first session of this Assembly was over, the first act I did was to send for the file relating to the Bhakra Dam Project. That was not all. I recorded a note on the file and asked for some important information. I can assure members, who represent the southeastern districts, that I will not allow any colleague here a moment's rest until he does something to bring to the thirsty lands of the southeastern districts water to irrigate them. [4]

The Bhakra Dam Project was not every man's cup of tea. The three parties to it-the Central Government, the Secretary of State, and the Punjab Government-seldom did anything to coordinate their activities. Excepting Chhotu Ram, no one even bothered to do something for its early execution. That was why it lingered on indefinitely.

The matter cropped up again in 1942, when a member of the House, Pandit Shri Ram Sharma, asked as to why the Project had found mention in the budget estimates almost every year.

The Minister for Revenue replied "that the Project was included in the budget estimates for the simple reason that the Government had to incur expenses at different stages. Can it be denied that two Engineers were sent to America for studying the problem of constructing high dams? Can it be denied that they brought back with them models and photographs of high dams and incidental works?

Those photographs and models were shown to the Hon'ble members of this House including Pandit Shri Ram Sharma. If he still has not seen them , the fault is not ours, and the attempt will be futile.

"As regards the obstructions in our way to execute this Scheme I never said there was none. Firstly, it was the hitch created by the Bilaspur Durbar, which caused delay. In this connection my honorable friend quoted a speech made by me in whom I am purported to have said that the Punjab Government could and should apply pressure. He should remember that at the time when this speech was made the State was still under the supervision of the Punjab Government and had not been entrusted to the care of the Central Government. Again, he went on to say that after meeting opposition from the Bilaspur State the Government started looking out for an alternative scheme. Quite true. Does he mean to suggest that we should not have done it? In fact, we explored three alternative schemes. One of them is that, if the Bilaspur State does not accede to our wishes a number of tubewells may be constructed on the banks of the river Jamuna and water should be carried through channels to the native land of my friend, Pandit Shri Ram Sharma.

The second is that a dam be constructed on the river Beas at Balechur in Kangra district, and water supplied to Rohtak, Hissar and Sirsa. Thanks to the machinations of Panditji and his friends a furore was created against this scheme.

The people of the Kangra district were told that the districts of Rohtak and Hissar should not be allowed to benefit at their cost, that this scheme would destroy the houses of the Rajputs and ruin their water-mills (ghrats). Panditji and his party went about fomenting trouble in Kangra. Pamphlets were distributed. Deprecatory poems were recited at public meetings and circulated among the public, letters were addressed to the Officer-commanding, Dogra Regiment, calling for intervention.

No stone was left unturned by my friends of the local Congress Committee to mislead and excite the people of Kangra."

"Thirdly, there is the Beas Dam Scheme which is proposed to be taken in hand so as to offset the loss the people of Doaba have sustained owing to the continuous fall of sub-soil water in that tract. Attempts are being made to fix upon a suitable place for constructing this Dam.

"These are the three alternative schemes which are at present under consideration of the Government and to which a reference was made by Pandit Shri Ram Sharma. Besides this, my friend made many irrelevant and inconsistent statements. For instance, he said that the Bhakra Dam Scheme was on paper only and nothing had been done to give it a practical shape. Does he mean to say that the expenses incurred in sending two engineers to the United States, who brought back photographs and models of a project suitable for our purpose, were expenses incurred on paper? Were surveys conducted on paper only? [5]

IT MUST NOW HAVE BEEN ABUNDANTLY CLEAR TO THE READER THAT THE BHAKRA DAM PROJECT WAS CHHOTU RAM'S FIRST PRIORITY IN THE MATTER OF MAKING HARYANA THE FORERUNNER OF THE GREEN REVOLUTION. WHETHER HE WAS A MINISTER OR SIMPLY A MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL, HE CONTINUED TO PURSUE IT WITH DOGGED PERSEVERANCE. IT WOULD HARDLY BE AN EXAGGERATION TO SAY THAT HE WAS THE REAL FOUNDER OF THE PROJECT.

By 1944 much that was to be done to give it a final shape had been done. The Sind Government had filed a case for compensation of Rs. 6 crores with the Privy Council. Arrangements were made for prompt payment.

The Raja of Bilaspur, as we have noted before, was creating another hurdle, for the reservoir of the Dam was to be built on a territory that fell within the jurisdiction of the Bilaspur State. An agreement was entered into with the Raja, and the matter came to a close with the signing of the document between the Raja and Chhotu Ram as Minister.

But alas Chhotu Ram did not live to see the dream materializing into a reality. On every stone used in the work of construction there is manifest the spirit of the great leader. If today the two sister states of the Punjab and Haryana are toppers in production of wheat, it is solely because of the construction of the Bhakra Dam. The peasant of today is not merely free from the clutches of the merciless and unscrupulous moneylender but is prosperous and happy. He knows with a profoundly grateful heart who his real benefactor is. The peasants gather on Basant Panchami day at Rohtak to express their sense of gratitude. That is their thanks-giving day-the day of their deliverance. What better monument could there be for him-as eternal and massive as his soul was?

But our two governments should do what they have so far failed to do-viz., to name the Bhakra Dam after the great leader. Sir Chhotu Ram, so as to perpetuate his memory as a source of inspiration and guidance for all generations to come.

References:

1. Proceedings of the Punjab Council, 27thFebruary 1933

2. Ibid, 27th February 1933.
3. Ibid.
5. Ibid., 1942, Vol. xix.
4. Ibid., 25th February to 31st July, 193.

rkumar
September 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks Ravi.

Rajendra

sanjaybharan
November 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
hi

how r u. plz can u guide me from where i can get a script on Sir Chotu Ram's life as i am planning for some documantry ..

thanx & regards

sanjay rathee.

rathee_san@hotmail.com

sanjaybharan
November 9th, 2005, 10:08 AM
ji ram ram

sir.how r u. plz can u guide me from where i can get a script on Sir Chotu Ram's life as i am planning for some documantry ..

thanx & regards

sanjay rathee.

rathee_san@hotmail.com

captmanjeet
November 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks ravi ji
It was gr8 to know about the great man's achievements.I second your views that the name of bhakra nagal dam should me rename on the name of sir chotu ram and all jats who are in the position to make it happen should try there level best to give the tribute to the gr8 leader of masses in this form.
gr8 contribution from your side too in form of letting us know all the facts.
Capt manjeet