PDA

View Full Version : GOOD LUCK TO INDIAN OLYMPICS TEAM - LIVE HISTORY

ranjitjat
July 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM
78-member squad named for Olympics

New Delhi, July 28
India will field a 78-member contingent (excluding officials) for the Athens Olympics, to be held from August 13 to 29. The contingent includes the women’s relay squad, but the men’s relay team has not made the grade. US-based discus thrower Vikas Gowda also figures in the athletics squad though the Athletics Association of India had earlier expressed its reservations regarding his citizenship status.

Indian Olympic Association (IOA) secretary-general Randhir Singh, while releasing the list here today, said Indian sportspersons had qualified in 14 disciplines. He said every effort had been made to provide the best of training facilities to the sportspersons who had qualified for the Olympics.

He said this was the best-ever contingent to represent India in the Olympics. Randhir Singh hoped that “we will improve our record of medals at the Olympics”.

Randhir Singh, who is also a member of the International Olympic Council (IOC), said the latest reports about the performance of the sportspersons was very encouraging. He said the contingent would leave for Athens in batches, and some sportspersons would join directly from various countries where they were undergoing training.

Though the IOA had earlier announced the three key officials who would be accompanying the contingent, it has not named the other officials and coaches. Union Water Resources Minister Priya Ranjan Das Munshi has been named as the chef-de-mission while Basketball Federation of India secretary-general Harish Sharma will be the deputy chef-de-mission. Indian Hockey Federation secretary-general K. Jyotikumaran will be the secretary-general-cum-treasurer of the contingent.

Following is the complete list of the sportspersons:

Archery: Men: Majhi Sawaiyan, Satyadev Prasad and Tarundeep Rai. Women: Dola Banerjee, Sumangala Sharma and Reena Kumari.

Athletics: Men: Amritpal Singh (long jump), Binu Mathew (400m), Bahadur Singh (shot put), Vikas Gowda and Anil Kumar (both discus throw). Women: Anju Bobby George (long jump), J.J. Shoba (heptathlon), Manjit Kaur (400m and 400m relay), Neelam J. Singh, Seema Antil and Harwant Kaur (all discus throw), Bobby Aloysius (high jump), Soma Biswas (heptathlon) and Sarswati Saha (200m). 4x400 m relay team: Rajwinder Kaur, K. M. Beenamol, S. Geeta and Sagardeep Kaur. (Manjit Kaur and Chitra K. Soman have also been listed to run the relay).

Badminton: Men: Abhin Shyam Gupta and Nikhil Kanetkar. Women: Aparna Poppat.

Boxing: Akhil Kumar (51 kg), Diwakar Prasad (54 kg), Vijender (64 kg) and Jitender Kumar (81 kg).

Hockey: Devesh Chauhan and Adrian D’Souza (goalkeepers), Dilip Tirkey (captain), William Xalxo and Harpal Singh (defenders), Ignace Tirkey, Arjun Halappa, Viren Rasquinha, Vikram Pillay and Sandeep Singh (all half line), Gagan Ajit Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Deepak Thakur Sonkhla, Dhanraj Pillay, Baljeet Singh Dhillon and Adam Sinclair (forwards).

Judo: Akram Shah (extra lightweight 60 kg).

Rowing: P.T Paulose (single scull).

Shooting: Men: Abhinav Bindra (10m air rifle), Mansher Singh (trap), Manavjit Singh Sandhu (trap), Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (double trap) and Gagan Narang (10m air rifle). Women: Anjali Bhagwat (10m air rifle and 50m rifle 3-prone position), Suma Shirur (10m air rifle) and Deepali Deshpande (50m rifle 3-position).

Swimming: Shikha Tandon (50m free style and 100m freestyle).

Tennis: Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi (doubles).

Table tennis: Achanta Sharath Kamal and Mouma Das.

Weightlifting: Women: Namecpakpam Kunja Rani Devi (48 kg), Thingbaijama Sana Macha Chanu (53 kg), Pratima Kumari (63 kg) and Karnam Malleswari (63 kg).

Wrestling: Freestyle: Yogeshwar Dutt (55 kg), Sushil Kumar (60 kg), Ramesh Kumar (66 kg), Sujeet Maan (74 kg), Anuj Kumar (84 kg) and Palwinder Singh Cheema (120 kg). Greco-Roman: Mukesh Khatri (55 kg).

Yachting/sailing: Malav Shroff (double- handed dinghy, 49er) and Sumeet Patel (double-handed dinghy, 49er).

Umamaheswari Devi (athletics) and Ronak Pandit (shooting) will be the representatives for the youth camp which will be held during the Olympics.

GOOD LUCK TO INDIA-
WE EXPECT AND PRAY FOR A FRIST OLYMPICS GOLD MEDAL FOR INDIA.
I WISH IT WILL BE A PROUD JAT/JATNI.

HOW MANY OF THEM ARE JATS FOR MIND
EXERCISE QUIZ ?

DHARMPAL DUDEE

ranjitjat
July 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I can start.
1- SEEMA ANTIL
2- NEELAM JAI SINGH
3- SUJEET MAAN-

and many more-

ranjitjat
August 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Dudee Sahib,
Namaskar!!
This is ref with your post on Olympic Contigent and participation of Jats
I think Mukesh Khatri, Wrestler and Jitender Kumar Boxer are both jats
I think Jitender Kumar is from a village near Meham. Iam not sure.Frgive me if I am wrong

With Regards

Sateypal Deshwal
Auckland

ranjitjat
August 12th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Dear Sateypal
Namaskar.
Thank you very much. you are right, they are jat.
Few more wrestlers/boxers are JAT/JATT ?
India is expecting 10 GOLD .
more likely chances are 2 Gold Medals
WHAT OTHERS THINK ?
CHEERS

mbamal
August 12th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Dudee uncle,
I think PWC predicted that india might win 10 medals based on economic conditions in India. I personally think India has a real chance at winning 2-3 individual bronze medals + one gold/silver at tennis doubles. In Hockey, India has a good shot at the bronze or at least it should reach the semis.

jagmohan
August 13th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Best wishes to the Indian Olympic Team.

10 medals may be a little far fetched but I think India should land up with a medal or two in Weightlifting, Wrestling, Shooting and Archery.

If Anju George can control her foul jumps she could bring glory to India.

We should celebrate if the Hockey team can make it to the Semi Finals.

ranjitjat
August 13th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Dear Mandeep & Col Jagmoham Sahib.
Thanks.
You are very close to target.
10 gold medals is only future dream.

Good luck to every one & happy IND DAY to all.

3 cheers

Dharmpal

akhil
August 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM
They say it is going to be 3-5 medals only!!!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/814016.cms

rahul_malik23
August 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/06/30/042.html

Mandeep Bamal (Aug 12, 2004 02:01 p.m.):
Dudee uncle,
I think PWC predicted that india might win 10 medals based on economic conditions in India. I personally think India has a real chance at winning 2-3 individual bronze medals + one gold/silver at tennis doubles. In Hockey, India has a good shot at the bronze or at least it should reach the semis.

rksehrawat
August 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Every passing day will shatter our hopes, which is a routine every four years. If we can maintain the record of last two olympics i.e. a stray individual medal, we shall be lucky. If very young jat boys and girls are trained in atheletics and other games as even average jat (sikh jats included) have the grit and mental strength needed at such level (which only the very exceptional South Indians, who dominate atheletics possess) we can hope to gain individual gold after a period of at least 10-12 years. The main reason why we fail at international events is because there is all out efforts to grab as much funds allocated for sports by those who have made sports associations as their personal fiefdom, instead of spending it on improving the standard of our games. If ones thinks by giving a ration of Rs. 25 to an athelete is enough to bring a gold, for such people there is always another paradise. Having watched these people from very close quarters I can say with certainty that there is no hope at least as long as the present structure at governmental and management level is in place. The toothless jokers who manage these bodies are more interested in filling their own pockets and don't know even abc of sports. If one is interested in meeting Randhir Singh along with even his pet dogs, they can be found at Athens enjoying hospitality at government cost. Though it may sound discouraging and pessimistic but truth is always bitter. If any of you happen to be in Athens, you will find the office bearers of sports bodies and politicians from centre as well as states along with their families or keeps on shopping spree and enjoying life at tax payers' cost. Hence, start convincing your heart from now itself, so that there are no convulsions later, that nothing is going to happen for India. I personally think, any medal (even a cardboard one) will be a bonus and God's grace. I can put my money on maximum two, either a silver + bronz or two bronzes, though a distant dream ( I too dream sometimes).

rksehrawat
August 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Dears all,

Every passing day of Athens Another Olympics is shattering our hopes. Our tennis duo out, hockey team all set to end below 10th ranking, bronze medalist of last games, came on the podium as if to cut the ribbon and didn't lift even once, two of our female lifters found guity of doping and our throwers could not produce even a single throw without a foul, the one's who were expected to produce favourable results ended in 20s and 40s. India that is Bharat, a country of more than one billion, is jumping with joy with a single silver medal. It is a matter not of joy, but a shame. What is the remedy, should we give a chance to communists ? I think, no harm. As may be seen, with the exception of DPRK for the last 2-3 games, have been doing extremely well. The USSR used to dominate the olympics during red regime but after its disintegration. But now even the combind performance of all its 12 former republics does not come anywhere near to its glorious past. But when we look at the performance of USA, Japan and Korea, there is another option open. All the sports associations and bodies should be corporatised where no plitical appointments should be allowed.