PDA

View Full Version : Gugga Zahir Pir.

uday
August 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Who can help in expediting the detail history of

"THE GREAT GAU-RAKSHAK-- GUGGA ZAHIR PIR".

I was trying at net but all findings were moulded versions.

chhoraharyanada
September 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM
RAM RAM.

I am also curious to learn about Gugga Pir and others like Sakhi Sarwar.

Any input from anyone please (sunny singh or Ravi bhai).!!!

ajat
October 1st, 2004, 02:29 AM
Hi Raman,

Guga Pir, the snake god, was said to be a Chauhan Rajput. I cannot speak for Hindu tracts, but in Sikh tract revering Gugu still occurs, along with Baba Ishatari.

Best Wishes,

rsdalal
October 2nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Guga Naumi ka mela is held every year in many villages in Haryana. I remember Mela is My Mama's villege Machhrolli. Is it same Guga Pir or different....

rksehrawat
October 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
Gugga or Jahar Pir is supposed to be the greatest of the snake-kings. His kingdom is said to be somewhere near Ganganagar. He was originally a Chauhan Rajput named Jahar but later embraced Islam. Gugga is worshipped in Bhadra all over Haryana and Punjab. The 9th and the 15th of Bhadra, especially the former, considered as Gugga Naumi and dedicated to this Pir and generally the 9th of any month and usually Mondays are regarded as his days. His shrine usually consists of a small one-room building with a minaret on each corner and a grave inside. It is called a mari and is marked by a long bamboo with peacock plumes, a coconut, some colored threads and some handpankhas with a blue flag on the top. On the 9th of Bhadra, the people worship his symbol, a black snake painted on a wall and the worshippers take a fly-flap, known as chhari, round the village to the sound of deroos and the devotees salute it and offer churmas. The Balmikis sing devotional songs known as ‘Pir ke Solle’ in his honour to the accompaniment of deroos. Beating of deroos is the exclusive priviege of the Balmiki community; others may take part in singing, dancing or simply offering charhawa. Usually, I didn't see any jats taking part in singing and dancing, at least in areas surrounding Delhi or even Rewari. It is believed that the spirit of Gugga temporarily takes abode in the devotee dancer who proves this fact by beating himself occasionally with a bunch of iron chains.

Why it is celebrated in Bhadra ? It is my personal opinion that perhaps to appease the snakes when their threat is the biggest in rural areas ! Someone may like to throw some light on this ?

I remember when we were children, kids used to sing "Gugga Pir ki chhadi, Chhano kud kai padi". The melas used to be a big attraction for kids and at some places dangals used to be held and wrestling matches between famous wrestlers could even lead to fights between different villages. What a fun it used to be. I don't know what the scene is like now. Out of touch for quite some time.

ramsarya
October 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Sehrawat ji: Good and accurate info. That is exactly how I remeber Gugga but not in that detail. Dangals have almost disappeared from the melas. What a loss!

uday
October 23rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Actual was

"Gugga Pir ki chhadi (padoos wale kisi bhi budhee dadee ka naam le kar
... abc dadi... kuud kai padi".

This is right but whatever is written in earlier messages.. it's a common thingh which we all know..

But what ever is written till now is not true about Gugga Zahir peer!!

As of my current collection I know bit MORE rather then what is posted.

Let me compile that and definitely will post here.