PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Hooda's power bills strategy is working

raj_rathee
July 4th, 2005, 04:13 AM
From: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050704/haryana.htm

Consumers rush to pay power bills under new scheme
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, July 3
Long queues have been reported outside cash collection centres of the Haryana power utilities in the rural areas as the scheme of waving arrears of electricity bills gains momentum.

About 1.75 lakh consumers of electricity have paid their current bills amounting to about Rs 6 crore since June 17, when the scheme was introduced.

Encouraged by the response the power utilities have decided to hold cash collection camps in those villages from where such a demand will be received.

An official spokesman said here today that on an average over 4,000 consumers were paying their bills daily in each of the districts of Bhiwani, Rohtak and Jind. He said the scheme had also generated a tremendous response in the districts of Faridabad, Mahendragarh, Sonepat, Kaithal, Mewat and Hansi tehsil of Hisar. More than 20,000 consumers paid their bills in a single day yesterday. More than half of the consumers with tubewell connections in Hansi circle, whose payments were pending, had also started paying their bills.

He said that the benefit of this scheme would also be given to those consumers whose connections were disconnected. They had been given the facility of reconnection for which they would have to apply afresh by July 31.

He said that the consumers had also been given the facility of getting their unauthorised load regularised without paying any penalty. The last date of this scheme had been extended up to July 31.

The scheme was introduced in May and about 50,000 consumers under the domestic, non-domestic and agriculture categories falling within the jurisdiction of the Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam had got their load of 215 MW regularised without paying any fine.

The nigam had decided to keep its cash collection centres open even on Saturday and Sunday for the payment of electricity bills.

sumer77
July 4th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I think its great move..!!

Actually Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda has clarified that the arrears have nor been waived. Instead, the Government has merely provided much-needed relief to the farmers and other people in the rural areas and also offered them a bait to induce regular payment of future bills.

The strategy is simple. Each time a farmer pays his bill, ten per cent of the arrears would be waived off. Thus, a farmer would be able to wipe of his arrears by paying ten consecutive bills on time. The move, no doubt, will cast a heavy burden on the State's finance especially in the wake of its fiscal deficit. But it would be an investment in encouraging social responsibility.

Dudi

rkumar
July 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Since money was never to be recovered and farmers were getting under more and more debt, this move was a very clever. It was bound to succeed. Hooda sahab has thrown another incentive, which he will announce after 20 months...I can see Hooda offensive to make Haryana number one state in India. Let us wish him all the best and extend our hand of cooperation wherever possible.

RK^2

ramksehrawat
July 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I can see Hooda offensive to make Haryana number one state in India. Let us wish him all the best and extend our hand of cooperation wherever possible.

RK^2

Yes Rajendraji, iss CM mein dam lagta hai. Seems to be using brains. Instead of blind waiver of electricity bills like what Akalis did in Punjab his scheme is definitely better in the sense that people's load will be lessened without much effect on state exchaquer. Someone told me that his next priority to improve the irrigation facilities and surveys to repair the drainage (nahar) system are already underway. Let's see how far he can take the state. Best thing I have liked about the man is the non-emergence of junior CM so far as has always been the case in previous regimes. I wonder if he has a son to play "Abhay/Ajay Chautala or Chandramohan/Kuldeep Bishnoi or Surender ?

rkumar
July 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Yes Rajendraji, iss CM mein dam lagta hai. Seems to be using brains. Instead of blind waiver of electricity bills like what Akalis did in Punjab his scheme is definitely better in the sense that people's load will be lessened without much effect on state exchaquer. Someone told me that his next priority to improve the irrigation facilities and surveys to repair the drainage (nahar) system are already underway. Let's see how far he can take the state. Best thing I have liked about the man is the non-emergence of junior CM so far as has always been the case in previous regimes. I wonder if he has a son to play "Abhay/Ajay Chautala or Chandramohan/Kuldeep Bishnoi or Surender ?

Sehrawat Ji,

I don't see any possibility of his immediate relatives dominating Haryana politics by taking his name or working under his shadow. I am fully conviced that he means business and wants to get into the history of Haryana and India as a great CM. He has a son and a daughter. Both are settled abroad. I don't see either of them getting into politics in the foreseable future. Hooda sahab seems to have understood Haryana's priorities very well. I can see him attacking on all the fronts. I wish we have more CMs like him, particularly in UP and Bihar as India will shine only when UP and Bihar shine...

Regards
RK^2

deepender
July 5th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Apart from being farmer friendly, what's remarkable about Haryana's new power policy is its astute economic facet. I read a few articles in press recently (tribune, TOI, ET etc.) that argue otherwise -- well, I stand to strongly disagree. The problem with having about 2000 Cr in Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) for a state like Haryana with total annual State GDP of about 40,000 Cr, is not only that this triggers an death-spiral in the NPA number (another day older, deeper in debt), but also that it artificially depresses the consumer demand and any capital investment in agro-related sectors. A close example in recent economic history can be derived from the NPLs(Non-performing Loans) in Japanese banking sector which lead to the decade long recession. Harnessed by protectionism in some sectors and encouraged by 90s global economic bubble, thousands of Japanese industrialists rushed to borrow money from banks and make unprofitable capital investments leading to creation of thousands of "Zombies" and NPLs; it was not until Junichero Koizumi led LDP was thrown into power in 2001 that an effective answer to this Japanese crisis was sought. The anwer, Mr. Koizumi was committed in delivering to the Japanese industrialists is very similar to the answer Haryana has delivered to it’s farmers. Answer of planned, gradual and conditional write-offs. These write-offs led to people spending more, and infused new wave of capital investments in non-farm sectors which promise to renew growth. Today Japanese economy is, for the first time in more than a decade, looking to reverse the recession, with economists across the globe hailing the "psuedo write-off" model of Japan.

Why should then the same press & media treat the about same economic model of dealing with NPAs in Haryana differently? Is it because the subjects in this case are the poor farmers rather than Industrialists? One prominent newspaper recently ran a editorial named "Hooda's blunder" citing economic reasons - I would prefer to call it "newspaper's editorial blunder". Would the editor care for an "economic" debate?

Haryana's new power policy is not a blunder but a bliss, and economically so.

This policy, that's leading to an artificial infusion of about 2.5% of the state GDP worth of NPAs back in the hands of primary consumers while preventing the state from falling in trap of a debt 'death-spiral', has the potential of propelling fresh growth in Haryana's farm-related sectors and in turn transforming its economic growth from good to great.

raj_rathee
July 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I think the strategy makes both economic and political sense. Of course, its
easier to say it now that it seems to be working.

o Farmers are actually lining up to pay the bills. I guess that was the biggest
unknown in my opinion. What if they still had refused to pay up ? Chautala,
if I understand correctly, had done everything he could (the proverbial
carrot and stick) and still had nothing to show for it...except some pretty
angry farmers and some dead ones (9 ?).

But now they are paying up the bills. And I think that is for the good. I did
not see how anyone could have recovered 1600 Crores in dead bills, and every
new billing cycle was just adding to this...as Deepender points out. So it makes
economic sense.

o But more than that it is making great political sense as well. This move is
another solid nail in Chautala's coffin. Now Hooda has gained the full and complete
support of Ghasi Nain as well as the villages which had suffered at the
hands of Chautala. The nine farmers who were killed will have a statue built
for each of them in their villages...apart from other developments inthose
villages.

I think the only people whining as of now are the academics and the
lala journalists. Of course, I haven't spotted an alternative being thrown by
any of them.

rkumar
July 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Most of economics is nothing but common sense. Though Mr Hooda is not a trained economist like Dr Man Mohan Singh, but has his ears to ground. I am sure he had this solution in his mind well before becoming CM of Haryana. No wonder he pushed his solution with so much speed and clarity. Since he is talking of making Haryana as number one state in country, I am sure he knows what it takes to make Haryana number one...Who knows there are already some bokkies accepting the bets in market on this..LOL

RK^2

rkumar
July 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
One prominent newspaper recently ran a editorial named "Hooda's blunder" citing economic reasons - I would prefer to call it "newspaper's editorial blunder". Would the editor care for an "economic" debate?

I also read this editorial Deepender. I know the editor personally. Most editors have the habit of being expert on everything. However, the fact is that they have very general ideas about things. Editor is a BJP man by the way. So one can expect what he has to say on the subject. Taste of the pudding is in eating. Scheme is a total success because farmers have welcomed it and they are making their payments...simple... Let us not worry about editorials..Every news paper has at least one of them everyday...Most editors in India have no clue what problems farmers are facing.

RK^2

deepender
July 6th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I also read this editorial Deepender. I know the editor personally. Most editors have the habit of being expert on everything. However, the fact is that they have very general ideas about things. Editor is a BJP man by the way. So one can expect what he has to say on the subject. Taste of the pudding is in eating. Scheme is a total success because farmers have welcomed it and they are making their payments...simple... Let us not worry about editorials..Every news paper has at least one of them everyday...Most editors in India have no clue what problems farmers are facing.

RK^2

You're right. Also agree with the common sense approach of this solution -- simple and sweet!

sanjaysiwach
July 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
At first Iwas reluctant to praise our CM Ch.Bhupindersingh Hooda ,but Iam convienced by his vision and ablility to provide a better solution and we have no doubt he will be succeed in his mission to make Haryana number one city in country and restore pride of Jat.

He is a real Jat and you all know he is qualified also ...

"anpadh Jat padha barabar and padhya jat Khuda barbar "

Let all of us wish him for success and standby him when required.

Regards

ramksehrawat
July 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Most of economics is nothing but common sense. Though Mr Hooda is not a trained economist like Dr Man Mohan Singh, but has his ears to ground. I am sure he had this solution in his mind well before becoming CM of Haryana. No wonder he pushed his solution with so much speed and clarity. Since he is talking of making Haryana as number one state in country, I am sure he knows what it takes to make Haryana number one...Who knows there are already some bokkies accepting the bets in market on this..LOL

RK^2

Rajendraji,

It's not compulsory that one should be a an economist or a technocrat or holder of a doctorate degree to take a country or a state forward. It is not the education but the attitude of a leader which makes him popular and successful. Though I didn't know much about Hooda before he became CM except that he defeated Ch. Devi Lal in Rohtak and that he is the son of Ch. Ranbir Singh, member of the Constituent Assembly. However, the kind of decisions he has taken during his tenure makes me believe that this is the man who could really make Haryana number one state in India. Distribution of irrigation water through canals, irridation food preservation project in Sonipat, water project in Mewat for which 220 crores have already been approved, development of Sampla into food hub, development of cities like Sonipat and Rewari on the lines of Gurgaon, development of Kundli into an education city and Ladli scheme (I wonder if it will succeed without a danda ?) are the kinds of schemes our CMs should have been looking into at least 10-15 years earlier. After a long-2 time I have liked the attitude of a Haryana politician and am sure if he proceeds in the same direction without any hindrance, Haryana will definitely see a change for better in a short time from now.

deepender
July 10th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Rajendraji,

It's not compulsory that one should be a an economist or a technocrat or holder of a doctorate degree to take a country or a state forward. It is not the education but the attitude of a leader which makes him popular and successful. Though I didn't know much about Hooda before he became CM except that he defeated Ch. Devi Lal in Rohtak and that he is the son of Ch. Ranbir Singh, member of the Constituent Assembly. However, the kind of decisions he has taken during his tenure makes me believe that this is the man who could really make Haryana number one state in India. Distribution of irrigation water through canals, irridation food preservation project in Sonipat, water project in Mewat for which 220 crores have already been approved, development of Sampla into food hub, development of cities like Sonipat and Rewari on the lines of Gurgaon, development of Kundli into an education city and Ladli scheme (I wonder if it will succeed without a danda ?) are the kinds of schemes our CMs should have been looking into at least 10-15 years earlier. After a long-2 time I have liked the attitude of a Haryana politician and am sure if he proceeds in the same direction without any hindrance, Haryana will definitely see a change for better in a short time from now.

Respected Sehrawat ji & Rajendra Uncle ji,

You may find this reading interesting --
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=138507
or below where I cut and pasted.

Similar to the lines on which Sehrawat ji has informed us.

Regards,
Deepender

-------------------

Reply to Gurgaon: Rajiv City

Hooda announces 4 cities z Education city on lines of Oxford-Cambridge

Express News Service

New Delhi, July 9: Forget Gurgaon and Noida, Haryana is eyeing the Oxford-Cambridge model for its Rajiv Gandhi Education City — among the four new cities that the government will develop soon.

Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda today announced four townships to be developed at Sampla, Badli — Jahangirpur, Samalkha-Gannaur and Kondli. The announcement came at the 28th meeting of the NCR Planning Board, in the presence of Union Urban Development Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad. The Board today passed the Draft Regional Plan 2021 which will now be sent to the Ministry for notification.
The four new ‘‘world class’ townships in Haryana come close on the heels of the Rajasthan Government identifying Neemrana Behror as the first town to be set up by the NCR Planning Board. The Board had earlier informed the constituent states (namely Rajasthan, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh) to identify such townships to take economic pressure off New Delhi.

‘‘We have identified the townships according to their location near the Expressway which is to be developed. The Expressway intersects five national highways of which four are in Haryana — NH 1, 2, 8 and 10. The identified areas are located at these intersections. We expect that once the Expressway is fully developed, the potential and economic values of these areas will automatically increase,’’ Hooda said.

The CM showcased the Rajiv Gandhi Education City on the lines of Oxford and Cambridge. The city, located at Kondli in Sonepat, will house a number of universities and colleges — for courses ranging from engineering to medicine, chartered accountancy, journalism and biotechnology. ‘‘The idea is to provide international level higher education not only in Haryana but for students in Delhi, the northern region as well the rest of the country,’’ said Hooda.

Azad pushed for satellite towns as well, naming Gurgaon and Noida. ‘‘The idea is to continue this trend and ensure that the migrant population stops coming to Delhi and starts going to these townships as well. There has also been a move among Delhiites from the Capital to these cities which is a good sign,’’ the Minister said.

Member Secretary of the NCR Planning Board Dr P.K. Mishra said the Board and the Haryana Government would study satellite towns and decide parameters in six months.

haryanajat
July 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
why sonepat? what about rohtak - isn't that the chief minister's town? what is being done there? what about specific programs directed at the upliftment of jat community? is he doing that?

rkumar
July 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
why sonepat? what about rohtak - isn't that the chief minister's town? what is being done there? what about specific programs directed at the upliftment of jat community? is he doing that?

First post under this thread pertains about farmers who are mostly Jats.. CM of a state can not openly side with any caste. Since most jats live in villages and present CM is pro-village, its Jats who will benefit the most. Getting approval of educationn city for Haryana and so many other major projects is most commandable. I understand there are many plans for Rohtak as well. Mr Hooda has hardly completed 100 days. Steps taken and initiated so far indicate that Haryan as a whole is heading in right direction and very rapidly. We UP jats for the first time feel left out of the race. May be our great Ch Ajit Singh should take few lessons from Mr Hooda. May be we UP jats now get up and raise the banner of revolt aganist our UP government.

RK^2

rkumar
July 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Respected Sehrawat ji & Rajendra Uncle ji,

You may find this reading interesting --
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=138507
or below where I cut and pasted.

Similar to the lines on which Sehrawat ji has informed us.

Regards,
Deepender

-------------------

Yes Deepender, I read the same stuff in Hindustan Times of yesterday. While I feel so happy for Haryana, but I am really disappointed for western UP. High time we UP jats also unite and raise the banner of revolt aganist UP government. There is hardly any development in western UP. I am told Mr Hooda is visiting Shamli in western UP today to attend some function. Looks like Jats of western UP also are looking at him as their leader now.

RK^2