PDA

View Full Version : important battles in Indian History...

mukeshkumar007
July 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Dear All,

Here I have attached a zip file containing a word file. If any one among you is interested to read about some important battles, fought in Indian history that changed the enitre political history of india, should read this file.

Thanks

with regards.

deepender
July 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Dear All,

Here I have attached a zip file containing a word file. If any one among you is interested to read about some important battles, fought in Indian history that changed the enitre political history of india, should read this file.

Thanks

with regards.

Mukesh bhaisaab,

This is great stuff. Thanks man!

Best regards,
Deepender

rkumar
July 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Mukesh,

Yes these were all important battles, which changed the course of Indian history. However, let me add few more, which were equally important;

1. Invasion of Alexandra the great. After this battle India gained prominence on European scene.

2. First freedom war of 1857: It was written by British viceroy that had Scindhia not supported British during that battle, British had no option but to pack their baggage.. So it’s been courtesy Scindhias that we were slave for another 90 years.

3. Libration of Goa and unification of princely states into India by Sardar Patel.

4. Chinese war of 1962: Think of it now how important that war was for India. It awakened India.

5. 1971 war with Pakistan created Bangladesh. Americans took notice of India as a power in making...

RK^2

abhishek
July 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
2. First freedom war of 1857: It was written by British viceroy that had Scindhia not supported British during that battle, British had no option but to pack their baggage.. So it’s been courtesy Scindhias that we were slave for another 90 years.

RK^2

You forgot much fancied "martial races" sikhs and rajputs who were one step ahead of british in slaughtering their countrymen.

raj2rif
July 9th, 2005, 06:57 PM
You forgot much fancied "martial races" sikhs and rajputs who were one step ahead of british in slaughtering their countrymen.

I think Scindhia's gain prominance as the main battles were fought around that area, because it was led by Rani Laxmi Bai of Jhansi. But your question is worth discussing.

I wonder if some one can tell us about as to how Bharatpur state behaved during 1857. Because Bharatpur and Dhaulpur were as close to battle field as Gwalior state.

Similarly what was the role played by the small princely states in Punjab and Rajasthan?

vinodks
July 10th, 2005, 02:55 AM

I liked this point. Lots of people were recruited in british army who were uneducated and didn't know much difference between serving their country and serving "Raj"; there is a character in Kipling's "Kim", Rissaldar(? I don't remember name exactly) who is stereotyped as representative of such soldiers for whom glory meant just bravery(jageer) not whom and why they are figthing... But looking at it only this way doesn't do justice to history and whole social condition needs to be considered and sometimes cases are so intricate that they can be judged neither as patriotic nor unpartriotic....

Anyway, list of wars was nice... keep it up...

vinod

raj2rif
July 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I liked this point. Lots of people were recruited in british army who were uneducated and didn't know much difference between serving their country and serving "Raj"; there is a character in Kipling's "Kim", Rissaldar(? I don't remember name exactly) who is stereotyped as representative of such soldiers for whom glory meant just bravery(jageer) not whom and why they are figthing... But looking at it only this way doesn't do justice to history and whole social condition needs to be considered and sometimes cases are so intricate that they can be judged neither as patriotic nor unpartriotic....

Anyway, list of wars was nice... keep it up...

vinod

Dear Vinod,
You have rightly said. For a soldier, it his regiment that matters. A soldier takes the oath to serve his regiment and that is the binding rule.

We however need to know as to how the Jat Kingdoms/ States acted in 1857 or for that matter even after that and what had been their contribution to the freedom of India?

ravichaud
July 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Col Tavathia,

Sir, since we are on the subject of Military history, I have a more general question for you...In the course of my professional development, I have come across a possibility for the opportunity to attend the Indian Defense Services Staff College. Do you know much about the school? Where is it? Have you attended?

Respectfully
Maj Ravi Chaudhary
USAF

mukeshkumar007
July 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM

4. Chinese war of 1962: Think of it now how important that war was for India. It awakened India.

RK^2
Resp. Unlceji,
yes, The name of war you have mention here is equally important in indian History.
Here I have attached two files: One is related to the time of 1857 and second is related to 1962 war with China..
Although still many foreignr scholers have not accepted the war of 1857 as a First Independence war of India.

deepender
July 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I wonder if some one can tell us about as to how Bharatpur state behaved during 1857. Because Bharatpur and Dhaulpur were as close to battle field as Gwalior state.
Similarly what was the role played by the small princely states in Punjab and Rajasthan?

Respected Tavathia ji,

I am very curious to find answers to the original questions you have poised. But, I do know one story regarding 1857 battle from our 'gohand' that you might find interesting -- my great-great grandfather, who was a significant zamindaar and loyal to Mughals, had organized a few horsemen/and foot volunteers from our 'gohand' to go fight in Delhi. They were ordinary peasant folks and mostly Jats, and they were armed with very simple weapons - occasional swords, mostly lathis and zelis -- but by the time they reached Nangloi, they heard the news that Delhi has been sacked and Mughals have surrendered to the British. Upon hearing this, they returned back to their villages in Rohtak heatland...Now my village elders live to tell this tale with compassion and patriotism...

Like you I am very curious to find out much more details of the role played by small kings, zaildaars, zamindaars of the nothern agrarian states such as ours in the battle of 1857 and the role played by Jats specifically...if some other member can shed greater details...

Regards,
Deepender

deepender
July 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Here I have attached two files: One is related to the time of 1857 and second is related to 1962 war with China..
Although still many foreignr scholers have not accepted the war of 1857 as a First Independence war of India.

Mukesh bhaisaab, again very useful information. Thanks! Deepender

mukeshkumar007
July 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Mukesh bhaisaab, again very useful information. Thanks! Deepender

Deepender bhiya,
yeh bhai ke age saab (bhai+saab) kuch ajeeb sa nahi lagta hai kya ? :)
any way thanks..

deepender
July 10th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Deepender bhiya,
yeh bhai ke age saab (bhai+saab) kuch ajeeb sa nahi lagta hai kya ? :)
any way thanks..

Mukesh Bhai -- yeh hum haryanviyon ki purani aadat hai !! I'll use bhai now :-)

Deepender

mukeshkumar007
July 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ghazni & Somnath Temple
Somnath is about 5km from Veraval and had a checkered history. It is believed that the Somnath temple here was originally built by Somraj, the Moon God himself, out of gold, and then rebuilt by Ravana in silver and then by Krishna in Wood, then by Bhimdev in stone. Somnath is also known by several other names -- Deo pattan, Prabhas Pattan or Pattan Somnath, which it acquired during its long and eventful history. Somnath was once the most revered shrine in the country, for it had one of the twelve pre-eminent Jyotirlingas (the glowing Lingas), which held a special significance for the Hindus. Somnath's glory and fame are legendary. It is said that people from the remotest parts of the country came to worship at the shrine; revenues collected from ten thousand villages was spent on the maintenance of the temple. Two thousand Brahmins (priests) served the idol and a golden chain attached to a huge bell plate announced the commencement of prayers.
Somnath rose and fell many a time and the amazing drama of the iconoclast's zeal for its desecration and the devout Hindu's passionate desire for its restoration continued till the 15th century, when the Hindus finally gave up in sheer despair and built a new temple nearby.
Northern India had ceased to attract Mahmud, for the spoils of its most wealthy temples were already in his treasury. But the rich and prosperous province of Gujarat was still untouched, and on October 18, 1025, he started from Ghazni with his regular troops and thirty thousand volunteer-horsemen for the temple of Somnath, situated at the distance of a bow-shot from the mouth of the Saraswati, by the side of which the earthly body of Lord Krishna had breathed its last.
Ghazni Mohammed descended on Somnath in 1024 when the temple was so prosperous that it has 300 musicians, 500 dancing girls and 300 barbers to shave the heads of visiting pilgrims. There is a description to this effect by Al Biruni, an Arab traveller. After a two-day battle, Ghazni Mohammed carted off its fabulous wealth and also destroyed the temple, thus setting a precedent of Muslims destroying the temple and Hindus rebuilding it, for it was razed again in 1297, 1394 and finally in 1706 by Aurangzeb, the Mughal emperor who was notorious for such acts.
Mahmud entered the temple and possessed himself of its fabulous wealth. `Not a hundredth part of the gold and precious stones he obtained from Somnath were to be found in the treasury of any king of Hindustan.' Later historians have related how Mahmud refused the enormous ransom offered by the Brahmans, and preferred the title of `Idol-breaker’ (But-shikan) to that of `Idol-seller' (But-farosh). He struck the idol with his mace and his piety was instantly rewarded by the precious stones that came out of its belly. This is an impossible story. Apart from the fact that it lacks all contemporary confirmation, the Somnath idol was a solid unsculptured linga, not a statue, and stones could not have come out of its belly. That the idol was broken is unfortunately true enough, but the offer of the Brahmans, and Mahmud's rejection of the offer, is a fable of later days. The temple, which stands today, was built in the traditional pattern on the original site by the sea, thanks to the efforts of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.

Invansion of Timur-i-lang:_ (In attachment)

mukeshkumar007
July 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Dear All,

Here is an attachment containing useful information about the 1971 Indo-Pak war.. Hope you also will find it intresting..

thanks

raj2rif
July 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Col Tavathia,

Sir, since we are on the subject of Military history, I have a more general question for you...In the course of my professional development, I have come across a possibility for the opportunity to attend the Indian Defense Services Staff College. Do you know much about the school? Where is it? Have you attended?

Respectfully
Maj Ravi Chaudhary
USAF
Dear Major Ravi,

It is nice to know an Indian Origin officer from USAF. Defense Services Staff College is located at Wellington, about 15 miles from the hill station of Ooty in Tamilnadu State. The hills are called Nigiris because of the blue tinge the leaves have. The weather is most beautiful with temperature remaining around 20 degree Celcious throughout the year.
It is one of the best educational institution both military as well as civil education standards. I attended DSSC course 44 and I am proud to mention here that I did get an instructional grade on that course. You will find outstanding officers from Indian Army, Navy, Airforce and Indian Civil Services along with foreign officers from various countries. If you have an opportunity, you must attend it. You will enjoy your stay for about an year. It is unbelievable to have the efficiency of an organization at its best. Kindly do let me know if you need any further information. The course has a very busy curriculum, but it is so enjoyable. The most important part of the course is interaction with student officers. You make life long friends there. I had Col Saboto from US army (he said he was Air Defense Officer). Couple of years ago I learnt that he was posted at US Embassy at New Delhi. You can email me for more specific information. I am sure DSSC would be having its website. Many Indian Officers have settled there afte retirement. It is a nature at its best in Nilgiris. There are a lots of tea gardens, and every corner of the road is a picnic place. You will love it. Congratulations to you for getting this opportunity. My personal email is veerutav@optonline.net or veeru_tav@yahoo.com

jagmohan
July 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Dear Ravi,

Just to add to what Col Tavathia has rightly written about DSSC, Wellington.

The most important thing that stands out after undergoing this prestigious course (10 Months) is that ALL SOLDIERS think alike. I too have had the opportunity to undergo DSSC 49 and remember the experience rather fondly.

For an officer from the foreign armed forces this is a wonderful experience. The administrative services are too good to be believed. Where else can you afford to employ three to four servants?

The most professionally satisfying experience for a foreign officer is the 'Forward Area Tour', wherein you would be taken to the frontiers of our great country.

Then there are awesome facilities for sports and extra curricular activities, that is if you can submit your assignments on time!!!

If you can, you must make it to Wellington.

Regards,

JS Malik