PDA

View Full Version : Important Facts of Indian Defence Forces

ozyjat
July 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Regional command centers

The Indian Army has five regional commands - HQ Central Command, Lucknow; HQ Eastern Command, Kolkata; HQ Northern Command, Udhampur; HQ Western Command, Chandimandir and Southern Command, Pune Army Training Command or ARTRAC is at Shimla.

Corps Coup

A new corps was set up at Leh after May-Jul 1999 Kargil conflict to look after Siachen, Kargil and Eastern Ladakh. In the three years since, both its first and second corps commanders have seen an untimely end to their career. The first, Lt. Gen. A.B. Masseh took prmature retirement. His successor, mechanised infantryman Lt. Gen. Arjun Ray put in his papers in 2002.

First cantonments

in 1765, Lord Robert Clive initiated the policy of building cantonments for British troops to keep them 'cantoned' in one place to enforce discipline and military way of life, and also to keep them in sanitised environs. Bhatinda in Punjab is the largest of the 62 cantonments in the country

First Army Headquarters

Army Headquarters, was first housed in red Fort, delhi in accomodation unsuitable for such a complex entity. The separate Supreme Headquarters in South Block, which wound up soon after, refused to share space. Today, it occupies portions of South Block and the modern Sena Bhavan at New Delhi. Some portions are still housed in barracks of World War II vintage in the area.

Only hospital at LoC

168 Military Hospital at Tangdhar in Kupwara, right in the middle of the operational area near Line of Contral (LoC), treats both military personnel and injured civilians. It added an underground operation theatre in 2001, since the region is often strafed by enemy fire

First Gun Foundry

A Factory, later called the Gun Shell Factory, was set up at Cossipore, North Kolkata in 1881.

First Rifle Factory

A rifle factory was established at Ichhapore, West Bengal in 1905. This was shifted to Kanpur in 1949 and called the Small Arms Factory. The first weapons from the production line was .303 Bren Gun used during the Second World War.

Women in the Army

The first batch of 25 women outside the Army Medical Corps was commissioned on March 06, 1993, at the Officer's Training Academy, Chennai. They were inducted into non-combat departments like supply, education, logistics and legal branches.

I guess these facts will come in handy if you ever have a discussion about our defence forces.

raj2rif
July 11th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Dear Deep,
I had not given much attention to this kind of history and facts, but you may like to consider following:

We also have Eastern Command (Located at Kolkatta)

168 Military hospital is not at Tangdhar, it is near Kupwara about 5 to 6 KM on the road from Kupwara to Sopor-Srinagar. I am actually forgetting the name of the village.

Col Jagmohan may put more light on it. I think Gen Arujun Ray was an armoured corps officer and not a mechanised infantry officer (to be honest, I had met him and actually worked with him in one of the exercises, but don't remember whether he was mechanised infantry or armoured corps. He was commanding 33 Division at that time.

jagmohan
July 12th, 2005, 08:59 AM
The name of the village is Drugmulla.

Lt Gen Arjun Ray was a Mech Infantry officer.

There have been a lot of changes in the Order of Battle (ORBAT) in most places, as is normal.

For more details of the Indian Army: www.indianarmy.nic.in

Regards,

JS Malik

ozyjat
July 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Hello Uncle Ji,

Thanx for your response and very soon I shall update the material as per the new link you have provided me with.
If anyone else would like to add someting please forward me the material.

Thanx Again

abhirana
July 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
DEEP
you can also check out bharat-rakshak.com
it will give you all the details about all four forces
of our country.

~Rana

raj2rif
July 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
The name of the village is Drugmulla.

Lt Gen Arjun Ray was a Mech Infantry officer.

There have been a lot of changes in the Order of Battle (ORBAT) in most places, as is normal.

For more details of the Indian Army: www.indianarmy.nic.in

Regards,

JS Malik
Dear Col Malik,

Thanks for the information.