PDA

View Full Version : Future Personal Transports: Fiction or reality

rkumar
July 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Dear Friends,

For quite some time I have this gut feeling about the future of personal transport. I strongly feel that size of rockets will become smaller and smaller with time. These rockets will have solid fuel (or liquid Hydrogen) in the form of cakes, which could easily be bought from corner shops and loaded into rockets. These rockets would be back-mounted and interfaced with laptops for navigation. One would be able to feed the destination coordinates and launch from housetops or balconies...

Let me hear from members how much reality they see in my above observations? I am sure members might have many other similar fictions which they will like to share..

RK^2

haryanajat
July 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Its fiction all right. Navigation with laptop and done by someone other then the person with the mini-rocket on the back - that would be dangeorous isn't it? If lots of people are flying with rockets on their backs and others are helping with navigation then?? may be their paths might cross? and then how do they maneuver at the last second?
I can think of something else. Single seat Mini helicopters
which one can fly from anywhere and they only need a little space to park. May be little bit expensive but one can control the speed and direction and does not need laptop to navigate. I think someone in UK is already using it.

rkumar
July 20th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Its fiction all right. Navigation with laptop and done by someone other then the person with the mini-rocket on the back - that would be dangeorous isn't it? If lots of people are flying with rockets on their backs and others are helping with navigation then?? may be their paths might cross? and then how do they maneuver at the last second?
I can think of something else. Single seat Mini helicopters
which one can fly from anywhere and they only need a little space to park. May be little bit expensive but one can control the speed and direction and does not need laptop to navigate. I think someone in UK is already using it.

I agree with mini helicoptors as being something practical. Any chances of their being mass produced like Maruti-800? Coming back to rocket navigation. This has to be done by same person who is flying and not the other person. But mini/ micro helicopter certainly looks a better option. Or may be mini plane with vertical take-off.

RK^2

singhkapoor
July 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Commuters could soon be taking flying taxis to work instead of waiting in line for a street cab, experts suggest. British developers Avcen say Jetpods would enable quick, quiet and cheap travel to and from major cities. The futuristic machines will undergo proof-of-concept flight tests in 2006 and could be ready for action by 2010.

London-based Avcen say Jetpods would be able to travel the 24 miles from Woking, Surrey, to central London in just four minutes.

Take a look at the below given link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3990329.stm

deepender
July 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I wonder, if due to severe energy crises and advanced development in virtual reality space, more and more people will begin attending business meetings and private functions from their "Virtual Reality Studios" at home instead of travelling itself ???

Think this could become an alternative to transpotation and travel in general....Tons of people in my company already work from home all the time (we use teleconferecing and web-conferencing; still haven't started using video conferencing to connect home-based employees). I wonder, if in future I can work in my company in US from my ancestral home in my village in Rohtak....and conversely a NRI Housewife or even a qualified teacher, sitting in US, maybe able to interactively teach students in the primary school my village back home with out having the need to travel.....

Latest Star Wars had some cool illustrations of 'virtual reality' conferencing as they did on minicopters, personal minijets and laser marked areal highways to control air traffic etc........

rkumar
July 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I wonder, if due to severe energy crises and advanced development in virtual reality space, more and more people will begin attending business meetings and private functions from their "Virtual Reality Studios" at home instead of travelling itself ???

Think this could become an alternative to transpotation and travel in general....Tons of people in my company already work from home all the time (we use teleconferecing and web-conferencing; still haven't started using video conferencing to connect home-based employees). I wonder, if in future I can work in my company in US from my ancestral home in my village in Rohtak....and conversely a NRI Housewife or even a qualified teacher, sitting in US, maybe able to interactively teach students in the primary school my village back home with out having the need to travel.....

Latest Star Wars had some cool illustrations of 'virtual reality' conferencing as they did on minicopters, personal minijets and laser marked areal highways to control air traffic etc........

Fully agree with You Deepender. A large part of work can be done from home and one need not travel to office every day. Most daily needs can also be ordered over tel or Internet. May be one need to travel only for pleasure or social reasons. I know many in villages who never travelled even to the nearest town as most of their life needs were met in village. May be the day will come when we have no petrol left and other fuels are very expensive..

RK^2

raj_rathee
July 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
I think the rocket idea as means of personal transport is fictional
alright, as someone else pointed out. Even if something like that were
to be realised, we are nowhere near that in technological knowhow.

Like Kapoor sir pointed out, there are several enterpreneurs (never seem
to get the spelling right on this) that are working on mini flying machines.
These too have a long way to go. Personally, I think even if these become
a reality, these will primarily cater to a small segment of the population.
Certainly they will require some skill in flying.

But the subject raised by Chacha is pretty interesting and I too have
thought about it at times. Of course, we can all let our imagination
run loose and come up with all sorts of funky ideas...how about all
that Star Trek stuff...and ionising (???) our bodies so that we automatically
appear somewhere else ("Beam me up, Scotty !"). But all that is
far fetched.

I think more realistic things are of the nature of smart vehicles that
can self navigate and hence avoid collisions. Research on those
lines is ongoing.

My somewhat "realistic" fancy would a public system of
transportation that is completely automated. I am imagining a system of
"capsule" like machines that run through a maize of underground+overground
tubes. These capsules are designed to accomodate a variable no. of seaters
(i.e some smaller, some larger). Stations for these are within max
100 meters. Whenever someone wants to go somewhere, they enter
their request in a computerised system. Very soon a capsule arrives.
You sit in. Provide destination. And the capsule zooms off, automatically
navigating through the maize (no driver) and drops you off at the
desired destination.

I think something on these lines can solve the problems we have with
public transportation which are 1) waiting times 2) other people 3) fixed
origination and destinations that are often nowhere near where are are or want to go to. Also the automated nature of these will provide a far
greater level of safety.

All the computer network algorithms can come in handy here. Shortest
path searches and so on.....

Also, what Deepender mentioned about the new working paradigm
is obviously very realistic and is already becoming a reality. I guess
the day when Tau sits in his Khet, puffing on the Hookah, and on the
one hand checking out Mallika's MMS clips on one screen, while on the
other hand telling Tai (who is video conferencing in from the
Haveli ...though still in Ghungat) to throw in some extra Ghee in the
choorma, is not too far off !

[Oh, and for the record, and strictly for academic interest only, I did check out that Mallika clip. It is a complete fake ! Not that I cared either way....
..Dil ne hazaar bar roka, roka, roka...]

ramksehrawat
July 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM
With the mode of transport suggested in the above posts, I am sure the life will become dull !!! The incidents of humour we come across while travelling in DTC or HR buses will sorely be missed. I remember one particular incident so well which took place about 20 years ago while travelling in a DTC bus from Najafgarh to ITO. The bus was full to the brim. Still people were somehow managing to squeez in. The conductor asked a man standing on the footboard to buy the ticket. The passanger said : "bhai thodi fursat milan de". After some time he gave a Rs.2 coin to the conductor to buy the ticket but the person standing with him snatched the coin back saying : "Arre, yo sikka tai tane meri jeb mah tae kadha sai". Can it happen in a rocket or a helicopter.

raj_rathee
July 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
With the mode of transport suggested in the above posts, I am sure the life will become dull !!! The incidents of humour we come across while travelling in DTC or HR buses will sorely be missed.

ha ha . Right Chacha. We won't have all the Tau Jokes on Haryana
Roadways anymore ! :)

Modernisation of society brings increasing isolation. But then I am
sure we'll find new and novel ways to deal with that.

rkumar
July 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
How about a combination of balloon, compressed helium (or some other suitable gas) system? Cylinder can be connected to balloon through a two-way pump. Who thing can be propelled like an aircraft. Looks quite practical and safe to me.

RK^2

raj_rathee
July 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
How about a combination of balloon, compressed helium (or some other suitable gas) system? Cylinder can be connected to balloon through a two-way pump. Who thing can be propelled like an aircraft. Looks quite practical and safe to me.

RK^2

Nahin chacha, yeh rocket aala idea toh bilkul bogus hai. Tau ke
pacche rocket la diya tae kite ooh ka doga paawega err kite
jhutee. Tai aur pacche pad jaagi mahare...

:D

gaganjat
July 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
ho ho ha ha ha hao;x496589;6uykc4kjc43ufcuik34yc4tkcerjh re8yo58cty9659 i5c98p b23c89p7 c87 ;93c8o;nc;o8 54tc;oi 535 ;o
o8u4f9762539pmvpo'

bachpan mae ik Tv serial dekhta tha ' mungeri lal ke haseen sapne'

But still I think nothing is impossible.

At the moment I just want to laugh kaka.

Dear Friends,

For quite some time I have this gut feeling about the future of personal transport. I strongly feel that size of rockets will become smaller and smaller with time. These rockets will have solid fuel (or liquid Hydrogen) in the form of cakes, which could easily be bought from corner shops and loaded into rockets. These rockets would be back-mounted and interfaced with laptops for navigation. One would be able to feed the destination coordinates and launch from housetops or balconies...

Let me hear from members how much reality they see in my above observations? I am sure members might have many other similar fictions which they will like to share..

RK^2

rkumar
July 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM
ho ho ha ha ha hao;x496589;6uykc4kjc43ufcuik34yc4tkcerjh re8yo58cty9659 i5c98p b23c89p7 c87 ;93c8o;nc;o8 54tc;oi 535 ;o
o8u4f9762539pmvpo'

bachpan mae ik Tv serial dekhta tha ' mungeri lal ke haseen sapne'

But still I think nothing is impossible.

At the moment I just want to laugh kaka.

haan kyoon nahi...chalo milkar hanste hain.....hahahahhahahaa...Bhateejje magar yad rakhna, ek din tum tau ko kamar par rocket lagakar urta jaroor dekhoge....hahahhaaa...aur tau ko dhoodhte reh jaoge...hahahhaa

RK^2

gaganjat
July 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM
Bilkul theek bole choesaab

haan kyoon nahi...chalo milkar hanste hain.....hahahahhahahaa...Bhateejje magar yad rakhna, ek din tum tau ko kamar par rocket lagakar urta jaroor dekhoge....hahahhaaa...aur tau ko dhoodhte reh jaoge...hahahhaa

RK^2

ramksehrawat
July 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

RK^2

Rajendraji

Who knows the medical science will progress to the extent that they would be able to inject some genes of birds in human beings and they will fly without any mechanical aides. Who could be better than you to shed some light on this. If a pig's heart can be implanted than why not the wings of birds. LOL.

gaganjat
July 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM
kaka I dont believe your imagination can go so wild.
Kati Ramlila ke garud ke yaad aa gayi

Rajendraji

Who knows the medical science will progress to the extent that they would be able to inject some genes of birds in human beings and they will fly without any mechanical aides. Who could be better than you to shed some light on this. If a pig's heart can be implanted than why not the wings of birds. LOL.

rkumar
July 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Rajendraji

Can not be ruled out Sehrawat Sahab..May be wings would come out of the body when one wants to fly...like neck of a tortoise...Certainly this is not impossible if one goes by what all is happening in biotechnology. Now that this topic has triggered imaginations, let me add few more possibilities;

1. Domestication of Dolfins on a large scale so that our canals can be used for individualised transport.

2. Genetic modification of certain birds to make them large enough to cary humman beings. ( After all many of our Gods are known to fly on some of these birds).

Few more thoughts, though unrelated with personal transport;

1. Genetic modification of cow's skin so that it can produce clorofil , thereby combining cow and grass under one syste..That might make our cows to produce milk without ever eating grass...
2. Genetically modify plants akhaaa so that their milk can be be consumed by human being..

Who knows what all will happen from such wild ideas in future...We might even have a human being who does not need to eat food and can walk, fly and swim all...LOL

RK^2

dahiyarules
July 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
Well I think Rajendra Sir, you are thinking along the lines of Hydrogen fuel cells cars. They are already in operations. However there are drwbacks with the technology.

1. The cars too expensive to produce as of now. For now the State governments of California and New York are using some Honda produced fuel cell cars as a test project. The costs of these cars run into millions of dollars.

2. The technology is not that safe. remember what Happened toUS Navy blimp called led Zeppelin. It was filled with Hydrogen, and it burst into flames, and killed all on board. Hydrogen is highly combustible. So the manufacturers do not want to have a hydrogen tank on board. As a solution to this issue, they are planting a hydrogen plant on board, which separates hydrogen form the source fuel, and the engine burns it simultaneously. Thats the reason the cars are so expensive.

Hydrogen is virtually unlimited, taking into ocnsideration, 3/4ths of earth are covered with water bodies. And hydrogen combustion does not contribute to pollution either. SO this could e final solution to our transportation problems.

as far as navigation goes, we have had for automated navigation for a long time. Heard of unmanned aircrafts and space crafts. They use a similar technology on consumer vehicles. Actually lexus vehicles alread have it as part of optional equipment, a facility that applies the breaks of the vehicle in case theres an object in front of the car that you failed to notice.

So what you were talking about is not a fantasy, but something that already exists. But its oing to take some time for it to be available to the everyday consumers.

raj_rathee
November 11th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Current developments underway.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051110/tc_usatoday/carssoonmaytalktoroadseachother

poonam
November 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Current developments underway.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051110/tc_usatoday/carssoonmaytalktoroadseachother

Interesting article!

P.S. your picture is cute Raj..Btw paida kab hue..:D

raj_rathee
November 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Interesting article!

My dear lady, with all the lovely things I come across every new day,
it feels like I am born afresh every morning.

Wuan-wuaaaan, wuaan, wuaan........ ;)

rkumar
November 11th, 2005, 12:39 PM
My dear lady, with all the lovely things I come across every new day,
it feels like I am born afresh every morning.

Wuan-wuaaaan, wuaan, wuaan........ ;)

Umm... ek naya Raj roj paida ? wah...yah raj hume aaj hi pata chala Bhateeje..? Hume bhi batao Bhateeje kiya peekar roj sote jo jo raat raat me purane raj ko naye raj me badal deta hai? yeh mat bol dena ki yeh sab Raj ki batten hain...LOL#

RK^2

rkumar
November 11th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Interesting article!

Kuch bhi ho Poonam ji, aapka naya photo aur Raj ka yeh naya photo ek hi angle se liye gaye hain.....

RK^2

raj_rathee
November 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hume bhi batao Bhateeje kiya peekar roj sote jo jo raat raat me purane raj ko naye raj me badal deta hai? yeh mat bol dena ki yeh sab Raj ki batten hain...LOL#

RK^2

:D :D
Na chacha raaz ki baat kati konya. Lekin I am surprised you didn't know. :p
But you'll still have to guess it chacha. I'll just give the following hint:

As of current knowledge and health risk assessments, there are no Surgeon
General's WARNINGS against it. ;) ;) ;)

:eek:

vinodks
November 12th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, bachhe naam bhi cute hai, Arya... ey aajkal sabhi log apne bachhon ka naam like Arya, Saurya, Tejasvi etc dhamdaar naam rakh rahe hein... mein to apne bachhe naam Pablo "Udhishther" Garcia Sangwan :cool: rakhoonga, bachhi hogi to Udhishthra... ok, tumhare bade bachhe ka naam guess karoon?... ok here it is 'Maurya'!! ab enaam kya dega??..

Vinod

raj_rathee
November 12th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Hmmm, bachhe naam bhi cute hai, Arya... ey aajkal sabhi log apne bachhon ka naam like Arya, Saurya, Tejasvi etc dhamdaar naam rakh rahe hein... mein to apne bachhe naam Pablo "Udhishther" Sangwan rakhoonga, bachhi hogi to Udhishthra... ok, bade bachhe ka naam guess karoon?... ok here it is 'Maurya'!! ab enaam kya dega??..

Vinod

Nope !!!

The names are Lira, Rajat and Arya. Yuup..thats three names here. :)
As you can imagine the middle one was Grandpa's choice.

(Jo Garcia, Pablo etc naam waale bacche honge...he he he...they'll
have to be off the record... ;) :D
Sab gol-mal hai bhaye gol maal hai...:D )

vinodks
November 12th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Dude, you are such a chhupa-rustam! Kya fandu crack mara hai re... Raj bhai mein to aapko apne jassa 'lafoot' samajh raha tha, lekin aap(ab to aap hi kahna padega) to grah-grahsti wala shusheel gentleman nikla...

wasse I have noticed that spanish people(esp girls) have habits similar to Jats... unse milkar assa lagta hai ki pichhle janam ke beechde bhai bahan(nahi ye to nahi kahoonga, toba toba) ho...

vinod

Nope !!!

The names are Lira, Rajat and Arya. Yuup..thats three names here. :)
As you can imagine the middle one was Grandpa's choice.

(Jo Garcia, Pablo etc naam waale bacche honge...he he he...they'll
have to be off the record... ;) :D
Sab gol-mal hai bhaye gol maal hai...:D )

vickypanwar
November 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Coming back to the essence of the thread, I think the following look more feasible to me -

1. Some form of MRTS. Imagine a vast, well organised labyrinthine network of under/over/on ground tracks running fast trains. Current maglev (magnetic levitation) trains run at speeds in access of 450 kmph. e.g. Shanghai transrapid.

2. modern radio controlled , route programmable cars running on 'magnetic' super highways. You would just need to program the destination and they'll find out the best route and get u there. They will have detailed city (scable to state/country/world ?) maps (think google/yahoo maps or mapquest !). They'll use GPS to ascertain where they are. No drivers will be necessary. These cars will avoid accidents by remaining in their designated lanes and 'talking' to other cars in front (and behind) them. (Think a simple infrared obstacle detector robot !) Because there's no human factor in navigation, these cars will be able to achive speeds in access of 200 mph. There will be protocols for lane change and exits and simple wireless transcevers in the cars will be able to understand that.

3. The above idea will extend to super airways (as also suggested by others). Where flying cars will be able to 'cruise' at high speeds. One of the main problems with aviation technology is takeoff and landing. Modern VTOL aircrafts are not efficient and runways are not practical. I think instead of personal air-cars, it would be more feasible to have a MRTS based on these vehicles. they can then run just like the trains on predesignated routes. The rail stations will be repalced by small takeoff/ landing ports (I won't call them airports as they'll be much smaller) and airways with replace tracks.

Ideas ?

-Vikas

rkumar
November 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Here is a very ambitious news item from government of India;

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7598_1552790,000500020007.htm

I wish this dream comes true. This will certainly make India a very strong nation. Technology of the future. Great opportunity for young brains to enter this field.

RK^2

krish.idea
November 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Sir,the thing you are talking about is now possible by telepresence...It will be audio, video conferencing as well as a connecting tht might bring revolution in the present world... telepresence will make possible tht robots on the remote end can copy the actions of the person at home end via communication link. It is going to have vast applications in field of medicine, astronomy n geology. The secrets of nature which r still burried in the space would come out with telepresence.