PDA

View Full Version : Rakhi: The Thread of Love

ozyjat
July 26th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Raksha Bandhan History

Raksha Bandhan is on August 19, 2005

I thought why not start a thread about rakhi as this festival has a lot of significance in our Jat culture.I think we should all pen down our thoughts about how we feel and what do we know about The festival of Rakhi.

There are many legends associated with Rakhi. Different heroes in Indian mythology and history with whom Raksha Bandhan is associated are:

Indra Devta: According to legend Indra found himself being defeated by the demon king or Daitya Raja. On the advice of his Guru Brihaspati, his consort tied a Raksha on Indra's wrist and this helped him achieve victory against the demon king.

Yudhishtra: The eldest of the Pandavas is believed to have asked Krishna, how to protect himself, before the epic battle of the Mahabharata. Lord Krishna instructed him that he would be protected by the beneficial power of the rakhi.

Alexander: When Alexander invaded the Indian subcontinent in 326 B.C. he had to fight many battles against the rulers of kingdoms in the north West. Alexander's wife is believed to have tied a rakhi to the king Puru or Porus. In return he is believed to have promised to protect her and her husband. In battle when he had the opportunity to strike Alexander, his promise is believed to have restrained him from delivering a fatal blow.

Humayun: During Mughal times the custom of tying Rakhis helped bind the Hindu Rajputs and the Mughal rulers of Delhi together. According to legend, when Bahadur Shah of Gujarat attacked Rani Karnavati of Chittor, she sent a rakhi to Humayun and requested him to help. He tried to come to her aid but was too late, Chittor had already fallen and the Rani had immolated herself in the Rajput custom of Jauhar.

Sentimental Value

The chaste bond of love between a brother and a sister is one of the deepest and noblest of human emotions. 'Raksha Bandhan' or 'Rakhi' is a special occasion to celebrate this emotional bonding by tying a holy thread around the wrist. This thread, which pulsates with sisterly love and sublime sentiments, is rightly called the ‘Rakhi’. It means 'a bond of protection', and Raksha Bandhan signifies that the strong must protect the weak from all that’s evil.

In the ancient Puranik scriptures, it is said that King Bali's stronghold had been the Raakhi. Hence while tying the rakhi this couplet is usually recited:

Yena baddho Balee raajaa daanavendro mahaabalah
tena twaam anubadhnaami rakshe maa chala maa chala

"I am tying a Rakhi on you, like the one on mighty demon king Bali. Be firm, O Rakhi, do not falter."

praveendangi
July 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
sure deep, u choose a good article, now Raksha bandhan is on 19, and we ppl have to share our views on this good topic.......
The celebration of one such relationship is Raksha Bandhan; the celebration of brother sister relationship.The brother sister relationship is no where so worshiped as here. It is this affection and love that is celebrated on the Raksha Bandhan.
this relationaship is above then every relations, isse bedker koi nehi,,,,,,

ozyjat
July 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Satyavachan Sis!!!

sure deep, u choose a good article, now Raksha bandhan is on 19, and we ppl have to share our views on this good topic.......
The celebration of one such relationship is Raksha Bandhan; the celebration of brother sister relationship.The brother sister relationship is no where so worshiped as here. It is this affection and love that is celebrated on the Raksha Bandhan.
this relationaship is above then every relations, isse bedker koi nehi,,,,,,

praveendangi
July 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
deep bhisahab
yeh to setywechan hi hai.... rakhi ka festival bahut pehle se chala aa reha hai or bhi isse nibha bi rehe hai,
isse accha rista koi nehi ho sekta,yehi ek aisa rista hai jisper behne tryst ker sekti hai....
direct dil se..............

nisha-
July 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM
we know how much important is this fastival for us

jitender_singh
July 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
very right I will Miss my sis very much here on Rakhi......

we know how much important is this fastival for us

deepakdahiya
July 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM
sab bheno or bhaiyo ko ram ram

deep bhai aapka thread or bhen praveen ke summary on Raksha Bandhan r really great..

baki indian hindu festival thode bahut pheke pad bhi gaye he like holi mainly........but Raksha Bandhan abhi bhi intrest or wishwas ke saath banaya jata he...

such bolu to ye aapna he desh he jisme bhai bhen ka rista itna pavitr mana jata he..........or jitna bhenne bhaio per wishvas karte he or keshe pe nahi karte.......or dusri taraf bhai bhi aapne aishe he jo behno per jaan kurban karte he or bheno ke kushe ke liye kuch bhi kar mar sakte he......

so deep bhai great post in time of great occasion....

deepak dahiya
*****Jai Mata Di*****

ozyjat
July 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Deepak Bhai aapne ye kaafi achhi baat note ki.Sack mein aajkal festivals ka craze kam ho gaya hai, but raksha bandhan aaj bhi utna hi popular hai.Mere vichar se iska eik karan ye bhi hai ki ye tyohar eik bohut hi paak rishte par adharit hai.Hamare liye is rishte ka atoot mahatva hai.
Kuchh lines kehna chahunga from all those brothers to their sisters who are not together on this day of Rakhi:-

Now that you are away......

You are never far away......

From my thoughts on.......

Raksha Bandhan

And always!

Happy Rakhi to you sis!!!!!!!

Wishing you happiness as always......

sab bheno or bhaiyo ko ram ram

deep bhai aapka thread or bhen praveen ke summary on Raksha Bandhan r really great..

baki indian hindu festival thode bahut pheke pad bhi gaye he like holi mainly........but Raksha Bandhan abhi bhi intrest or wishwas ke saath banaya jata he...

such bolu to ye aapna he desh he jisme bhai bhen ka rista itna pavitr mana jata he..........or jitna bhenne bhaio per wishvas karte he or keshe pe nahi karte.......or dusri taraf bhai bhi aapne aishe he jo behno per jaan kurban karte he or bheno ke kushe ke liye kuch bhi kar mar sakte he......

so deep bhai great post in time of great occasion....

deepak dahiya
*****Jai Mata Di*****

praveendangi
July 26th, 2005, 05:47 PM
thx mr. deepak,
actually deep ne yeh topic bikool sehi mauke per start kiya hai, ab vo din jayda door nehi hai, bahut door jinke bhi rehte hai vo rakhi ke din apni behno ko yad kerenge, yeh din hi kooch khas hota hai........
behne apne bhi se jayda kooch nehi mangti bus yehi ki vo uska sath zindegi ber de..
us din ka besebri se intzar hai heme..

ozyjat
July 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Hmmm Sis, Ye tere aur Alpa ke liye hi to likha hai maine.

I am proud and thankful to god to have sisters like you.Hope i can be there for you two today, tomorrow and forever........

thx mr. deepak,
actually deep ne yeh topic bikool sehi mauke per start kiya hai, ab vo din jayda door nehi hai, bahut door jinke bhi rehte hai vo rakhi ke din apni behno ko yad kerenge, yeh din hi kooch khas hota hai........
behne apne bhi se jayda kooch nehi mangti bus yehi ki vo uska sath zindegi ber de..
us din ka besebri se intzar hai heme..

praveendangi
July 26th, 2005, 06:16 PM
thx deep bhi,
yeh rista hi aisa hai.........
we sis r always with brother

mukeshkumar007
July 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM
yeh rista hi aisa hai.........
we sis r always with brother

Thanks deep for starting suc a nice thread, . yeh sis kuch aisi hi hoti hai..... sis always remain with the brothers.... Hum brother kabi kabi galti kar dete hai lakin yeh sister kabi bi koi galti nahi karte..... really sister-brother ka rista atut and sabse pavitra hota hai... very very sweet.....

apka yeh post padh kar mujhe ek Ghatna yaad aa gai, Jab maie 10th maie padta tha, Ek din night ko meri sister ke sath kisi choti see bath par fight ho gai, Maine mami se keha to mami-papa ne bi sister ka hi support kiya to maie root gaya and unceji ke pass zakar bina khana khye hi so gaya... Jab raat ko sister khana lekar ayi to maine khana khane se bilkul mana kar diya... and soo gaya....
Lakin jab moarning maie pata chala ki mere khana nahi khane ke karan sister ne bi raat ko khana nahi khaya..... Tab mujhe apni galti ka aehsas huwa ki wo mujhse younger hoke bi kitna care karti hai..... and maine jakar apni galti ke liye mafi mang li and hum dono naie sath maie khana khaya..... uske baad maie kabi bi sister se kisi bi baat ko lekar naraz nahi huwa......

Again thanks deep for the nice thread.....

ozyjat
July 26th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Dost I should be thanking you for sharing such sweet story with us.
Really appreciate your thoughts and agree with you as well.

Hope other members have some sweet memories to share as well and they will promptly come forward with such posts.

Thanks deep for starting suc a nice thread, . yeh sis kuch aisi hi hoti hai..... sis always remain with the brothers.... Hum brother kabi kabi galti kar dete hai lakin yeh sister kabi bi koi galti nahi karte..... really sister-brother ka rista atut and sabse pavitra hota hai... very very sweet.....

apka yeh post padh kar mujhe ek Ghatna yaad aa gai, Jab maie 10th maie padta tha, Ek din night ko meri sister ke sath kisi choti see bath par fight ho gai, Maine mami se keha to mami-papa ne bi sister ka hi support kiya to maie root gaya and unceji ke pass zakar bina khana khye hi so gaya... Jab raat ko sister khana lekar ayi to maine khana khane se bilkul mana kar diya... and soo gaya....
Lakin jab moarning maie pata chala ki mere khana nahi khane ke karan sister ne bi raat ko khana nahi khaya..... Tab mujhe apni galti ka aehsas huwa ki wo mujhse younger hoke bi kitna care karti hai..... and maine jakar apni galti ke liye mafi mang li and hum dono naie sath maie khana khaya..... uske baad maie kabi bi sister se kisi bi baat ko lekar naraz nahi huwa......

Again thanks deep for the nice thread.....

praveendangi
August 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I think I will start this topic again b'coz now rakshabandan is not so far......
The Hindi word "Raksha" means protection and "Bandhan" means a knot, bond or a tie. This is a celebration of brother's promise to take care of his sister. On this day, sisters tie a colorful thread on to their brothers’ wrist. The tying of this simple knot signifies the deep love and commitment that the brother has towards always protecting his sister from any physical and mental harm.Although Raksha Bandhan is observed between real brothers and sisters, this day also brings together cousins together and also sisters and brothers who are not related to each other but share a brotherly bond with each other.

abhirana
August 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
dekh be parveen
bahan to bahan hoti hai
chahe wo cousin ho ya mohboli ho
chahe jo bhi ho
aur sahi batao to behen-bhai ko jo pyara rishta hota hai
uske to kya kahne
waise aap sab ke vichaar padh ke
dil khush ho gaya
bahut badhiya :o :o :o

praveendangi
August 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
jee ha mr. rana, isse bed ker koi rista nehi,,
derti per sebse accha rista hai yeh.......
jis per behan trust ker sekti hai.....
jise apna accha dost mann sekti hai...
jise apni baten share ker sekti hai.....
time per bhai hi behan ka sath deta hai or koi nehi........
sebse accha rista or sebse pyara rista..........

i am lucky having two sweet and caring brothers.......

rkumar
August 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Most I love about Rakhi are the film songs. Most of these songs are so touching and meaningful. here are the most famous ones;

1. Rakhi Dhagon ka tyohaar
2. Rang birangee rakhi aayee, rakhi bandwale mere veer
3. Rakhi ke bandhan ko nibhana, bhaya mere

first song by Rafi is the greatest. I love the lines " bahan kahe mere veer tujhe na buri nazariya laage . Mere bhaiya raja tujhko, meri umariya laage. "

RK^2

sjakhars
August 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks Deep for starting a nice thread on a right time.
This is the festival i like the most and wait for whole year for this.
Jab main India me tha to kahin bhi rahoon India me, is din jaroor apni dono bahno ke saath hota tha.
This is first time when i will be away from my sisters on Rakhi.I am feeling very bad for not being there.
But its good that you have started this thread so we can share our thoughts and feel that we all have same feelings about our sisters and Rakhi.Here on jatland i can get the same affection from my brothers and sisters.
Parveen ji,Rajendraji, Mukesh aur anya sabhi ne apne dil ki baaten likhi hain jinko padhkar ye malum hua ki sabhi Rakhi ko utna hi important maante hain jitna main.
Regards.

abhirana
August 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM
well first of all thanks deep for starting such
a wonderful topic to share our views and the
best part of this is that i have got one more sis
thanks again deep... :o :o :o

kuldeep79
August 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Dear Praveen,

Seen your write up - yes, very nice, you are correct. It is a true relation. I am having 2 elders sisters.

Kuldeep
------------------

jee ha mr. rana, isse bed ker koi rista nehi,,
derti per sebse accha rista hai yeh.......
jis per behan trust ker sekti hai.....
jise apna accha dost mann sekti hai...
jise apni baten share ker sekti hai.....
time per bhai hi behan ka sath deta hai or koi nehi........
sebse accha rista or sebse pyara rista..........

i am lucky having two sweet and caring brothers.......

kundujat
August 10th, 2005, 09:30 AM
:confused: Bhaiyon,

kime Rakhi ke bare mein bhi likho.

Deep bhai ne to bohot achha kaam karya and i agree we should appreciate his initiative, but I beleive he started this thread to make this festival more popular and share our feelings and thoughts regarding it.

To apne apne khyaal likhe jaayen please, main bhi eik do din mein likhunga.

praveendangi
August 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM
sehi keha kundu bhai, deep ne bahut acchi starting ki hai ,
acche insan hi iss dn ki kimet jan sekte hai, bhai or behan ka rista hai yeh.......
dono se acchi tereh kon bata sekta hai iske baren mein.........
its really a wonderful post ......
aise hi post likhte reho deep
well done go ahead.......