PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed regarding M Tech

anupama
August 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
namaste to all of u,
i want an advice for one of my relatives.
she had completed B.Tech(IT) this year.She is interested in doing M.Tech but she did not applied for GATE this year. could u please inform if there is any good institue/univ. that offers M.Tech without GATE and also has good placements.
also please advice me if is it good to do MBA from any foreign univ or apna IIM's r the best?
thanks
Anupama

ashokkhatri
August 16th, 2005, 04:54 AM
About the choice between IIMs and an MBA here in the US - it would depend on several factors . . .

1. Personal needs/desires - living in India or in the US (though some students from Indian institutes are now in the US, if that is an aim, it would be better to do an MBA here).

2. Financial capabilities/limitations - there is very little funding for business studies since that is the cash cow for most univs. A few univs at the very top (I know of only Harvard, Wharton and Chicago) give loans to foreign students as well. But otherwise, loans are not available to foreign students from any sources in the US (you might get a loan from a bank in India, but it would cover less than 25% of the cost).

3. Ambition vs. security needs - There is no doubt that the field is much wider and opportunities greater in the US, specially at a top school. On the other hand, security is very low. Foreign students have to be outstandingly better than local students to get an equivalent job. That is not to say that Indian students don't do well, they do. But it would mean a lot of effort and tension as well. Even the best students go through some tension. And the unlucky ones who do not make it are left nowhere. On the other hand, the IIMs offer very great security. A decent job is assured and if you put in effort and are lucky, you can even equal the achievements of people who have done MBAs from the best univs here.

4. Time horizon - you need to work 2-3 years before even being able to apply here. The IIMs etc. accept a large number of students without work ex. The main disadvantage of the work-ex option is that it is very easy to get out of the academic bent of mind and then get stuck. Marrriage/girlfriend etc. sometimes comes as a barrier. It may also be harder to get back to taking exams, filling in application etc. Again, certainly possible - I came here after 3 years of work ex. But you need to be sure you can committ yourself to the required effort after 2-3 years.

5. Ease - GMAT is easier, the admission process is easier (no GDs, nerve-wracking interviews, much less competition). They work very hard here, but at the good institutes in India, they work hard too. In sum, easier life here. Of course, a good life after that is only assured after an MBA from a top school. Otherwise, there are hundreds of schools here and foreign students there can have a tough time. Basically only the top 20 or so is worth it. That may be a bit harder.

6. Competition from India - there is a trend in the last few years of MBAs from the best schools in India applying to the top schools here for a second MBA. Basically a means of getting to the US. Their applications are extremely strong. While there are no quotas in most schools, they would restrict people of a country to a certain level. Therefore, competition for Indians is pretty stiff. As for Engg. they have only heard of IITs here, of which there are hordes of applicants in B-Schools. I am not saying that not having an IIT degree makes it impossible to get it, but the rest of the application has to be extremely strong (GMAT>750, other factors).

In sum, I don't think there are any set rules by which I can advise you one way or the other. You would have to make a decision keeping in mind these and other factors that may come to your mind.

shiprabaliyan
August 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Dear Anupama
You can check www.nus.edu.sg for Graduate studies by research.I knew this uni gives scholarship but not very sure about thier admissiom criteria.
you can do your homework.

a.rana
August 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
DUDE GO FOR Phd. FROM IIT DELHI.IT OFFERS DIRECT ADMISSION AFTER B.TECH

anupama
August 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
hi Anupam,
could u please send me the details of phd course from IIT DELHI. R u sure it offers phd. after B.Tech.
thanx
Anupama

jkthenua
August 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.imprs-cs.de

sktomer777
August 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Matrix in the middle???????????

sandeepmehla
September 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I know when of my friends got admission in M-tech in REC kurukshetra
(Kurukshetra University)without GATE,(most of the seats there are filled through GATE though) but that was 3-4 years back.....i am not sure abt the new trend....

Regards,
Sandeep