PDA

View Full Version : utility of khaap panchayats!!!

dikshasingh81
August 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Hey guys , what do u all have to say about khaap panchayats??? do they

have enough force behind their decisions so as to take over the decisions of

the law of the land. I seriously want to know what all you people think bout

this coz it is creating hell lot of problems in the system.

You all might be knowing about the rohtak waala kissa......it was such a

disaster for two families.

In anticipation of ur views

REGARDS
DIKSHA

dikshasingh81
September 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Well, its really strange to see that being a jaat u ppl don have anythin to say

bout khaap panchayats......they r the force considered to be working from

behind and making things worse at times.

anyway .......enjoy!!!!! no use discussin things out here ...

mkrana
September 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Well itnee jaldi himmat chhod di?

My thought about these type of Panchayats is that these instituations were really helpful in past to bring certain degree of order in community and protect community interests - but today are not aligned with changed social and legal structure. These kind of systems create parallel judicial system without much liability and often are prone to be misused.
As far as their effectiveness is concerned it varies from decision to decision. But certainly a group of 100+ people together can put pressure to force certain decisions on individuals. People may condemn the groom decision to agree to abonden his wife under pressure from such crowd - but it was not the logic/correctness but pressure which was working there.
As far as Indian legal system is concerned it is inadequate to cater to social diversity. Each community has its own 'type' of parallel judicial system eg Muslims etc. The uniform law is not possible even between same religion people - forget about across religions. The perfectly valid form of marriage between a girl and her Mother's younger brother in SOUTH will create bloodshed in NORTH hindu families. This kind of judicial vaccum/variety is generally filled up by these type of judicial systems. The Panchayat's decision in Rathee + Dahiya marriage case would have been correct if they make sure the girl's gotra as Rathee and Not Hooda as she claimed. Traditionally community considered the same village gotras as unsuitable for marriage. But then acting this late creates doubt about the process fairness here.
But again these don't have any legal validity and force their decisions by 'force and threats' - which is void once somebody moves out of their influential zones.

What do our community seniors say here ?

No response of some thread should not dishearten you ... :p

dikshasingh81
September 4th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Hi manoj ji, i appreciate ur views though finally showing up after so

long.......and above all i ll remember ur advice :).......not to loose heart!!!!

regards

diksha

jasbirhooda
September 4th, 2005, 02:39 AM
I see no difference btn fatwa's of muslim terrirists and decisions of these khaaap panchayats ,they have became a shame to our community .They are generally a group of seniles ,having loosed their respect in their own family and just finding a way to pass time.Well these guy's have political interests also ,and for ur kind info their decisiones can be altered also by bribe .

mkrana
September 4th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Jasbir, I was just commenting on the utility and importance of these systems in today's scenarios. If they continue to misuse their powers (for whatever reasons) and continue to below-standard they will use their utility over a period of time as so many other practices/institutions/traditions have lost.
Remember their decisions are valid only till they have hold on the comnunity.
Can't these systems be made transparent and rules regulations well written down? ... only till we have common justice system.
My personal view about politics and justice is that ... they don't mix well. Politics pleases majority and true justice ensures minorities rights.
:)

positivelook
September 4th, 2005, 09:08 AM
hi diksha

According to me some panchayats are good some are bad and it depends on the situation which panchayat is dealing with. So no straight answer on this. In India legal system and Panchayat are same.
Niklana ho toh haathi bhee nikal ja, fasna ho toh chitti bhee fas ja.
So this is wht happens in our country.
Now abt ur disappointment regarding replies, i dont think u have to show up like this cos first of all u think how many posts ur replying when u online. So apne andar thoda jhank kar dekho miss. than comments on others.
Sorry if it hearts u but i said the truth.

Abhimanyu Phougat

spdeshwal
September 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I agree with Manoj and Abhimanyu, there are numerous instances where khap panchayats have played a pivotal role in tackling a social problem. I can remember quite a few incidents where Khap panchayats have acted consistantly and judiciouly and brought a matter to the logical conclusion.
I would like to qoute some:

There is village Thana or Thana Kalan near Kharkhoda town in Haryana, where two families were engaged in a bloody tussle which lingered on for decades taking many lives from both sides. Sarv khap panchayat than headed by Swami Karampal helped to resolved the problem which was a constant headache for the local admin.

The succesful farmers revolution led by Ch. Mahender Singh Tikait of Balyan khap was a result of co-operation among various khaps of the region. The success of that revolution may not be measurable in absolute terms, but the outcome is a significant change in the approch of various political parties in recognising the rights of the farming community.

I remember one incident during Emergency when the Operation Nasbandhi was in full swing.My village is the only village, predominantly inhibited by Deshwals and become first target of Operation Nasbandhi. Intervention of the powerfull Hooda khap leadership made sure that official never turnrned back and dare to harass any villager.

There are instances where khap panchayat have taken up issues dealing with dowry etc. and successfully came with ideas like Small Barat, Chuni uda ke bihah layana etc.

Importent feature of these khap panchayats I have mentioned is strong leadership e.g Swami Karampal, Ch.Mahender Singh Tikait, Ch. Bichhoo of Kiloi village were successfull leaders withstrog character.

Some times the khap panchayats are convened for wrong reasons but come out with some positive results. One such meeting of Deshwal khap was convened and held at Gangauly village of disst. Jind. I am not sure whether the tussle about level of relationship in gotra hierarchy( hamara neg bada hai/ tum hamne kaka/ dada kaha karo etc.) was solved or not but came out with lot of good information about our Gotra. Till than even the people of my older generations did not know that there are more than 90 villages of Deshwal gotra spreaded in states of Rajasthan, UP, Haryana and a couple villages in Panjab. My village Ladhaut is believed to be the origin of Deshwals.

Even the khap panchayats notorious for thier phatwas have some usefull social agendas but lead to wrong conclusions due to lack of for sightedness
and able leadership.There is nothing wrong in discouraging relationships among youngesters of same village and same gotras. Those who are from village backround would agree with me. Problem is timing and intentions of some of the members involved in such cases. Even the case which involved Asanda couple had some truth but wrong motives.

The Recent Panchayats in Gadwal village and than its involvement in the incident at Gohana had all the good intentions when convened at first place.
Than the leadership changed hands , changed the direction and the obivious results.Even at later stage when it decided to tackle the problem in absense of desired govt help,this was just to target those who were believed to be involved in the murder and other atrocities. Rest was the mob reaction. There were many in that colony who were not directly involved but had sympathies with the culprits.

Even this incident inherently had something good for many families of the colony.There were some youngesters who were getting influenced by those un-social elements may be saved now. Their parents will keep them away from them. It can be a blessing in disguise.

Another problem with these khap panchayats is lack of participation by educated classs like college teachers, doctors and NGOs. Only educated people attend these khap Panchayat would be Lawyers and Politicians. Khap panchayats are needed by these people very often.

rkumar
September 4th, 2005, 05:00 PM
....Another problem with these khap panchayats is lack of participation by educated classs like college teachers, doctors and NGOs. Only educated people attend these khap Panchayat would be Lawyers and Politicians. Khap panchayats are needed by these people very often.

I fully agree with you. Best would be that government allows them to continue their good work by amending Panchayat law. Representatives of state government should also be nominated to all such Khaps for better coordination and to ensure that no law is being violated. This will remove the communication gap between the Khaps and the government.

Rajendra

spdeshwal
September 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM
I believe, recently there was an amandment in the constitution and article 243G would eleborate on the role of the Pancayats. Under the provision of this article Khap Panchayats have no legal sanction.

To have some more understanding of the khap panchayats pliease visit:

www.frontlineonnet.com/fl2209/stories/20050506001005000.htm

http://muzaffarnagar.nic.in/mstikait.htm

http://nriworld.com/indianculture/articles.asp?articleid=124

arunshamli
September 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM
To have some more understanding of the khap panchayats pliease visit:

http://mujaffarnagar.nic.in/mstikait.htm

The url is http://muzaffarnagar.nic.in/mstikait.htm

spdeshwal
September 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Oh! I was editing when your post came through.
Anyways, thanks Arun!

dikshasingh81
September 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
well thanx for the links, they r really helpful in knowing things better.

jasbirhooda
September 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I agree wiyh you deshwal ,there are court cases where people just take the advantage of flexible and delaying system.where panchyats can play a role.
but they should be elected by people , elected sarpanchs should play a role in those and not self style area commanders.
And there are some commen inherent problems of these khaap panchyats ,very soon they become single sided ,once so happens it becomes there prestige issue .
Some completely lac the sense that the case they are playing with is life for someone.
Tell me if the invited khaap panchyats
stay in the home of one party and enjoy kheer and halwa ,can they decide the truth then ?,well i will say never.
what if they refuse to talk to one party,for no valid reason .
i have seen some heads of these panchayets clearly taking economical benefits.Suppose some head own some business ,which deals with commen people.He will not displease the majority.
majority not necessarily true.
And finally i also believe as you, more educated people must be included.
I think they should be problem resolvers and not dictators.
There is certainly one thing they can do and court can not.court can not bring back the harmony between two parties and they can.

Even the khap panchayats notorious for thier phatwas have some usefull social agendas but lead to wrong conclusions due to lack of for sightedness
and able leadership.There is nothing wrong in discouraging relationships among youngesters of same village and same gotras. Those who are from village backround would agree with me. Problem is timing and intentions of some of the members involved in such cases. Even the case which involved Asanda couple had some truth but wrong motives.

The Recent Panchayats in Gadwal village and than its involvement in the incident at Gohana had all the good intentions when convened at first place.
Than the leadership changed hands , changed the direction and the obivious results.Even at later stage when it decided to tackle the problem in absense of desired govt help,this was just to target those who were believed to be involved in the murder and other atrocities. Rest was the mob reaction. There were many in that colony who were not directly involved but had sympathies with the culprits.

Even this incident inherently had something good for many families of the colony.There were some youngesters who were getting influenced by those un-social elements may be saved now. Their parents will keep them away from them. It can be a blessing in disguise.

Another problem with these khap panchayats is lack of participation by educated classs like college teachers, doctors and NGOs. Only educated people attend these khap Panchayat would be Lawyers and Politicians. Khap panchayats are needed by these people very often.[/QUOTE]