PDA

View Full Version : Desi Blues! To change or not to ?

captmanjeet
August 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi every one
I read this some where and i thought i should post it on our forum and seek some valuable comments on the subject as migration in haryana and more particularly amonst jats towards west in on increase.

capt Manjeet
"WARNING! Any reference to any being might be thoroughly and absolutely intentional.

Recently, I heard that a person (whom i had never met) told one of my friends that he would not go back to India becoz he is scared that he might get diseases, mosquito bites etc., I said, excuse me! That guy came to the US just 7 yrs ago and he has already become super sensitive to diseases and mosquito. What crap is that ? This is insulting himself!!

From my understanding, a desi wants to settle abroad for ONE reason. LAZINESS. Most of the people get used to the laidback way of life :) weekends, long weekends and sabbatical. :)) Almost 90% of desi developers would agree that the job they do can be done by anyone who has completed decent education levels (say +2). You dont need BE/MCA/MS to build the crappy software.

Interestingly We can see 3 phases in any desi's life (whether they live in US/UK/Europe/Australia) For convenience and clarity I m using US.

Phase - I - Symptoms
Landing in US.,
- becomes very homesick, calls home twice a day (Consistent source of income for AT &T, Pac Bell, Reliance etc)
- run around for desi food
- Thinks all the females are chicks as shown in english movies.. gets the first hand experience of macho people
- Asks for bus routes
- Can be located in malls with popped up eyes
- Looks for 'S' sized T shirt in the boy's section
- Looks at all the cool cars as if he cld swallow with eyes.
- Converts every spending dollar into rupees
- Roams every bit of Safeway/albertson/longs
- Tries to cook at home

Phase - II - Symptoms
Settles in a bit.

- Has multiple calling cards and knows which one to use, factoring time and day :) By this time calling home frequency dries down, may be weekly once/twice
- Have a real white nike/adidas hike shoes
- discusses with friends about the car to buy. (Everybody in the office will know that our man is trying to buy a car)
- Settle for a Civic / corolla, since they are best desi cars
- Buys a costco card
- Starts to compare India-US for every petty thing
- Crib about the cashiers in stores, compare them with Indian petty store owners.. how quick they were in counting chillers.
- Everymonth, checks the balance and equate it to what it can buy in India
- Look for exotic locations with in city/USA (you know wot i mean rite?)
- Starts asking for 'Bud'
- Starts searching for a bride from India and gets married.
- Scans every weekly supplement sale and garage sales in and out.

Phase - III - Symptoms
Real confusion begins here..

- drops all the calling cards, stick to a phone line. Says line has better clarity.
- Thinks about getting a bigger/powerful car
- Starts spending weekends mostly at home and Frequently visits jacuzzi
- Pastes the country's flag on car
- Wonders whether he shld apply for a permanent residency.?
- Asks the guys whether he would get a job if he goes to India ;) (Welcome to reality dude)
- Tries to affiliate himself to the local groups (Non desi groups, to be specific)
- Watching Indian movies/wearing indian dress becomes a fashion statement
- suddenly, opportunity becomes oppor-tune-ity! India becomes eendya!! often becomes of-ten !!!
- Tries to talk in mother tongue with kids.. gets shocked when they refuse!
- Thinks about going back to India.. always., infact it becomes a thread in the mind that runs in the background!!

Do you have your own desi observations ;) ??"

ratananmol
August 31st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Bhai Manjeet yeh cut and paste bahut ordinary hai.
It is also about how the work gets done and what is the reward structure. Wahan joote ghisa ghisa ke "ullu ke patthon" ke neeche (admin: please excuse) kaam karna padega aur chamchagiri ke bina gujara nahin.
Public life me competent log nahin hain. Illiterate corrupt log raja bane baithan hain (the recent flood in mumbai exposed how idiot our leaders are).

captmanjeet
August 31st, 2005, 10:21 AM
It is also about how the work gets done and what is the reward structure. Wahan joote ghisa ghisa ke "ullu ke patthon" ke neeche (admin: please excuse) kaam karna padega aur chamchagiri ke bina gujara nahin.
Public life me competent log nahin hain. Illiterate corrupt log raja bane baithan hain (the recent flood in mumbai exposed how idiot our leaders are).
Dear anmol
Relax
I am sorry if i hit it below the belt but my intentions were not to hurt anyone.My only endeavour was to know the real facts about this post if any? regarding bombay floods we will discuss that in some other thread in detail.Once again i am sorry if hurt your feelings i have already stated these are not my view but wanted the facts out of u guys there.
capt manjeet

brad
August 31st, 2005, 12:08 PM
there is some truth and lot of exagearted truth.
General observation abt health:
1) 3-5 years no doctor excpet if in an accident.
2) then regular visits of doctors
3) then stops going to india bcos he+family totally sick for 3 weeks
4) a very high % of 1st generation indian babies are dieased in US (skin & allergy is most common). they are fine when they land in India. (ulta of 3)

but 1 thing never changes: indian food and film.

another way of tracking is:
J->H->GC->Citizen !!!

first 5 yrs=GC
next 15 yrs=mortgage

lucky
August 31st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hi every one
I read this some where and i thought i should post it on our forum and seek some valuable comments on the subject as migration in haryana and more particularly amonst jats towards west in on increase.

capt Manjeet
"WARNING! Any reference to any being might be thoroughly and absolutely intentional.

Recently, I heard that a person (whom i had never met) told one of my friends that he would not go back to India becoz he is scared that he might get diseases, mosquito bites etc., I said, excuse me! That guy came to the US just 7 yrs ago and he has already become super sensitive to diseases and mosquito. What crap is that ? This is insulting himself!!

From my understanding, a desi wants to settle abroad for ONE reason. LAZINESS. Most of the people get used to the laidback way of life :) weekends, long weekends and sabbatical. :)) Almost 90% of desi developers would agree that the job they do can be done by anyone who has completed decent education levels (say +2). You dont need BE/MCA/MS to build the crappy software.

Interestingly We can see 3 phases in any desi's life (whether they live in US/UK/Europe/Australia) For convenience and clarity I m using US.

Phase - I - Symptoms
Landing in US.,
- becomes very homesick, calls home twice a day (Consistent source of income for AT &T, Pac Bell, Reliance etc)
- run around for desi food
- Thinks all the females are chicks as shown in english movies.. gets the first hand experience of macho people
- Asks for bus routes
- Can be located in malls with popped up eyes
- Looks for 'S' sized T shirt in the boy's section
- Looks at all the cool cars as if he cld swallow with eyes.
- Converts every spending dollar into rupees
- Roams every bit of Safeway/albertson/longs
- Tries to cook at home

Phase - II - Symptoms
Settles in a bit.

- Has multiple calling cards and knows which one to use, factoring time and day :) By this time calling home frequency dries down, may be weekly once/twice
- Have a real white nike/adidas hike shoes
- discusses with friends about the car to buy. (Everybody in the office will know that our man is trying to buy a car)
- Settle for a Civic / corolla, since they are best desi cars
- Buys a costco card
- Starts to compare India-US for every petty thing
- Crib about the cashiers in stores, compare them with Indian petty store owners.. how quick they were in counting chillers.
- Everymonth, checks the balance and equate it to what it can buy in India
- Look for exotic locations with in city/USA (you know wot i mean rite?)
- Starts asking for 'Bud'
- Starts searching for a bride from India and gets married.
- Scans every weekly supplement sale and garage sales in and out.

Phase - III - Symptoms
Real confusion begins here..

- drops all the calling cards, stick to a phone line. Says line has better clarity.
- Thinks about getting a bigger/powerful car
- Starts spending weekends mostly at home and Frequently visits jacuzzi
- Pastes the country's flag on car
- Wonders whether he shld apply for a permanent residency.?
- Asks the guys whether he would get a job if he goes to India ;) (Welcome to reality dude)
- Tries to affiliate himself to the local groups (Non desi groups, to be specific)
- Watching Indian movies/wearing indian dress becomes a fashion statement
- suddenly, opportunity becomes oppor-tune-ity! India becomes eendya!! often becomes of-ten !!!
- Tries to talk in mother tongue with kids.. gets shocked when they refuse!
- Thinks about going back to India.. always., infact it becomes a thread in the mind that runs in the background!!

Do you have your own desi observations ;) ??"
COOL. I HAVE SEEN IT IN CANADA. THE FIRST TO PARAGHRAPH ARE LIKE MY OWN EXPERINCE AND THE LAST ONE IS WHT IS SEE WITH FAMILIES WHO R HERE FOR 20 YEARS. IT IS FUNNY BUT TRUE.LOL
HEHEH :D

sanjaysuhag
August 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Bhai Manjeet Singh Tere Topic Main Saari Baat Theek Sain

Koi Kuch Bhi Bloe Par Yaa Saachi Likh Raakhi Sai Tanne

Ramram :d

priti
August 31st, 2005, 05:55 PM
Dudiji

Could you shed more light on 'high % of 1st generation babies being sick in the US' and being fine in India.....i'm intrigued...

Thanks
Priti

sjakhars
August 31st, 2005, 07:35 PM

Bhai AnmolRatan US jaane ka matlab ye nahi ki apne desh me kamiyan nikalna shuru kar do,
US me kya natural disasters nahi hote?
What happened in New Orleans yesterday?this is the so called devoloped US.
They are so good then why the 100's of people died in "hurricane Katrina"?this hurricane cost nearly 25 bn $ but they could not avoid it.
They are so advanced that they knew that the hurricane is coming but they could not save all the people there.

Sorry for little tough language but its true.

shailendra
August 31st, 2005, 08:50 PM
Bhai AnmolRatan US jaane ka matlab ye nahi ki apne desh me kamiyan nikalna shuru kar do,
They are so good then why the 100's of people died in "hurricane Katrina"?this hurricane cost nearly 25 bn $ but they could not avoid it.
They are so advanced that they knew that the hurricane is coming but they could not save all the people there.

...This is kind of going tangent again to the main discussion (the points in the main thread are very funny...and so true! ...of course with lil' deviations here and there, but heck; they are all cool!)

Anyways, I am just responding to the above quote about the Hurricane! (and not comapring my great Nation with any other pseudo Country!)
But Jakhar bhai, you need to understand one thing...PRECISELY because it was the USA the death toll was contained at a 70 plus only...

Now don't get me wrong cause I am not suddenly a huge believer in the way of this big USA,...But then a fact is a fact and I may have not noticed anything else here but there is one thing that has been glaringly obvious;the value of human life is taken as the utmost priority by the government machinery here (be it even for just a visitor to the place)!

By the way I am not speaking from the top of my head about the Hurricane effect, cause this very storm (called Tropical Storm Katrina earlier)first developed off the florida coast (45 miles east of us here in Miami) and everyone was warned about it THREE days in advance on radios, TV and even at work!!!.... to go prepare in advance by putting up hurricane shutters on windows and stock up on canned food, water, gasoline (for cars and generators)...and all areas that are in the low lying region or near the coast (where the hurricane impacts are the most) were evacuated by force (police in action) to strong shelters within the school buildings (that are already built and designed as fortresses beforehand that can withstand any hurricane impact)...That is what the government machinery does here! ...by going into action on a WAR FOOTING!....
Now luckily 'Katrina' was just a category one Hurricane when it hit Miami (and South Florida) and so other than some minimal flooding, uprooted trees and power outages for a day (yes! Here too!!!.... but then one could see the public works and electric power guys out in a force even before the winds had died down...) ...anyways, nothing major happened luckily for us.

The story was different for the other area in the gulf coast when the same Hurricane went out into the water again (and developed into a more powerful category 4 hurricane sucking up more sea water) and then eventually pounded New Orleans!

At guess what, at the end of the day; That is nature for you...and be it America or Honolulu, there is not much one can do.

rkumar
August 31st, 2005, 10:02 PM
My prescription is that Develop your resources so much that;

1. During summer months you can live in Europe or Michigan
2. October -Dec. Delhi ( enjoy dasahra, diwali..)
3. Jan-Feb. Bangalore ( avoid Delhi fog)
4. March Delhi ( enjoy holi)
5. April ...Nainital

Do a business which you can carry along with you to all these places. I have been trying to do this for last 30 years and I am just around there now...hihihih..when I can choose where I should be... Real fakkad..Vasundhara Kutumbkam...

RK^2

lucky
September 1st, 2005, 01:15 AM
My prescription is that Develop your resources so much that;

1. During summer months you can live in Europe or Michigan
2. October -Dec. Delhi ( enjoy dasahra, diwali..)
3. Jan-Feb. Bangalore ( avoid Delhi fog)
4. March Delhi ( enjoy holi)
5. April ...Nainital

Do a business which you can carry along with you to all these places. I have been trying to do this for last 30 years and I am just around there now...hihihih..when I can choose where I should be... Real fakkad..Vasundhara Kutumbkam...

RK^2
i am going to celebrate diwali. becoz i have 2 months brake. i would be coming back :D i am happy

brad
September 1st, 2005, 05:21 AM
Dudiji

Could you shed more light on 'high % of 1st generation babies being sick in the US' and being fine in India.....i'm intrigued...

Thanks
Priti

Hi Priti,
Among the 1st generation Asians born in US its sommon to suffer from skin disease and allergies. I have seen it in lots of my friends kids and also confirmed by doctors.
The cause is genetic. Generally it takes 5-10 yrs for this to subsidise, but it can go upto late teens. But, many of them have no problem when they visit India for vacation and it comes back when they return.

But the biggest problem is that parents are so scared that they never go to india assuming that it will become worse bcos of pollution, filth, dust and other unhygenic conditions. Many who finally dare to go have a doctor and ambulance ready at airport. Some go to try out ayurvedic or some other alternative treatment and when they land in india, like a magic the disease vanishes.

warning: the above observation is not true in all cases and its always better to make all arrangements and prepare for any eventuality.

brad
September 1st, 2005, 05:33 AM

Sitaram Bhai,
yeh sahi hai ki New Orleans mein natural disastre hua aur log bhi mare. But most of them died bcos they ignored the govt order and refused to leave. What happened in mumbai was natural but the disaster was mainly human caused and to avoid it we dont need any hi-tech stuff or money, just common civil sense.

From the tsunami story:
there was one village in which only 30 deaths were reported but in all the neighboring villages more than 300 died. the reason for this particular village to be saved was not luck. it was training. a UN sponsered programm on disaster mgmt had been undergoing in this village for past 1 yr. this programm is what saved the village. it was neither expensive nor involved hi-tech, it was just abt common sense and ppl management with no politics, caste or ego standing in between.

sjakhars
September 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks friends.
I anticipated this type of comments.it was only an example and what I was trying to say is now you can find in another thread the link is below.I started onlly 2-3 new threads on this site and one of them was about President Mr.Kalam.Although this thread is not started by me but it's worth reading and more than this it's worth doing something like said in Prez's message.

Please go through the links below and think about your comments.
http://jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9664

and this is the thraed i started quoting Mr.Prez's messages.
http://jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8314

I am extremely sorry if anybody hurt by my comments in the last post.

Regards.