PDA

View Full Version : Recent Site Changes - Suggestions

eschauhan
September 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Dear Mr. Nitin Dahiya, Administor of Jatland,

I have seen from last 3/4 days there are coming some different kind of comments on each other. How much correct and how much right they are I don’t know.
But one thing I have noticed that you have changed some settings in the site as follows:-
1. In members' area ---- There are people visited today not visible in the site --- not good - it should be visible - at least we can see who of our friends visited today, so we can be sure to know them more.
2. One more important is - - you have changed the setting in matrimonial. The photos are not visible in thumbs size as it was earlier, please do it as before.

-----
Apart from above try to refresh the site by giving the good views here sparing the example of Jat, Jatni, Tau, Hukka, Katda etc , don’t make the site of fools here making the silly laugh at jat community.... we are educated now. By giving these type of satire our goodwill goes down around the world through this site. Some people think that this is their culture, yes culture is rich everywhere, but submitting as a point of foolishness is not recommended at all. I know there will come many replis on this point, but I have to say it.

I request you to make our site more useful rather then to a platform of fools (sorry to say) so no Praveen should leave the site.

Regards.

Ekta

dahiyarules
September 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Aay tension nahi lene ka :D. Use your mental filter. Read what you find interesting, and ignore what you dont. Simple. Thats what I do. What seems worthless to you, may be worthwhile for others, and vice-versa. :-)

I really do not understand why are the members so hellbent to moderate the site to their liking. I understand that some posts are really obscene, and the admins do a real good job at it. But we can always infore the rest "bakwaas." Are the days of "free speach" limited?

eschauhan
September 5th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Aay tension nahi lene ka :D. Use your mental filter. Read what you find interesting, and ignore what you dont. Simple. Thats what I do. What seems worthless to you, may be worthwhile for others, and vice-versa. :-)

I really do not understand why are the members so hellbent to moderate the site to their liking. I understand that some posts are really obscene, and the admins do a real good job at it. But we can always infore the rest "bakwaas." Are the days of "free speach" limited?

Dear Sumit.

Thanks for all that you said --- I already know that - thanks for your sugessions. But I am worried about the image some are making for we Jats

sumitsehrawat
September 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
"But I am worried about the image some are making for we Jats"

Worried???????................better not be.

...hoping to read from Mr. Administrator.

:-)s,
$umit

dahiyarules
September 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Look at it this way. If your actions reflect others wishes, then instead of reflecting yourself, you become and image of others expectations. In simpler words follow your heart and listen to your mind. Do what you think is right. Dont care what others think. As for the Jats. The ones I have come across on this die of the world, are highly educated and very senior members of the society. While other Indians are known for running gas stations and bed and breakfast motels. We are not doing that bad so far. :-) I believe that never stop a thinking mind. Let it go crazy and touch the extremes. If someone didnt dream to fly, we wont have been to the moon. When people get the chance to speak their mind on this site, they bring out their intlectual within. I may or may not agree with everything people have to say, but their horizon of thinking and understanding simply amazes me. I have a weakness for crazy and intelligent people. The rest are just dumb and wannabes.

vdeswal
September 5th, 2005, 02:18 PM
God damn it!!!! i can't stop myself to react on this.

Dear Ms. Ekta,

first things first..you look very pretty in your photograph.which i must say is regardless to wht i am writing below.

Jo chutkala aapney likha hai vo humor section mein hona chahiye tha naa ki general talks mein.

Kyon ki jai "JAT apni JAATNI" ar "TAU apney Hokkey" ney bhool gya to konya taan bajey.

Ar rahi baat katdey ki then i think if observed closely then it is most innocent and fearless animal i have seen, issliye iska naam SUNDOOO hona chiye tha to be very frank per hamara NITIN bhai kuch decent category se hai.

Chaaalo koi baat nahin,i am sure tht we are quite refined by now about this site tht if nothing else then we will definietly smile on ur words.Because nothing is waste in this world.

So please park your thoughts with cool breeze under mango tree in month of april in khet with teekad, nooni ghee and one peetal ka bakhora of seet and must not to miss, muthi gelyaan phodya hor ganthaa ar sooka aam ka achaar.

Had u ever expreinced this abpve mentioned oxford street level 200pound worth of lunch,surely then would have realised the ORGINAL JAAT STYLE.

eschauhan
September 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Dear Ms. Ekta,

first things first..you look very pretty in your photograph.which i must say is regardless to wht i am writing below.

Jo chutkala aapney likha hai vo humor section mein hona chahiye tha naa ki general talks mein.

Kyon ki jai "JAT apni JAATNI" ar "TAU apney Hokkey" ney bhool gya to konya taan bajey.

Ar rahi baat katdey ki then i think if observed closely then it is most innocent and fearless animal i have seen, issliye iska naam SUNDOOO hona chiye tha to be very frank per hamara NITIN bhai kuch decent category se hai.

Chaaalo koi baat nahin,i am sure tht we are quite refined by now about this site tht if nothing else then we will definietly smile on ur words.Because nothing is waste in this world.

So please park your thoughts with cool breeze under mango tree in month of april in khet with teekad, nooni ghee and one peetal ka bakhora of seet and must not to miss, muthi gelyaan phodya hor ganthaa ar sooka aam ka achaar.

Had u ever expreinced this abpve mentioned oxford street level 200pound worth of lunch,surely then would have realised the ORGINAL JAAT STYLE.

Dear Mr Vijay and Sumit,

I knew that and expected the same reply as you all given, and I have already written that many replies will come on that. No comment further . It is you to think or not to think upon. You are the best judge for yourself. But I never like roughness, never , never, it is my veiw on the point, I am not going to rectify any body, my dear.
Do you think writing in haryanvi khadi boli all understand that, it is like a show of your inteligency.
Thanks

vdeswal
September 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM
arey bhaai mhaari intelligency ke tai charchey hai...bataan ki jaroorat koni.

however not extolling about anything but our JAAT's raravavis qualities generally serve many a matutinal thoughts for life.Also a pussillanimous and ersatz mindset towards our mother toungue is bound to labilable i guess, but with time.

ndahiya
September 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Ekta

These changes were made due to bandwith and server load issues.

As the site has grown in usage, the server load increased meaningfully due to these features. Also, in the last month, data transfer increased by roughly 40% (part coz of the pics showing with the matrimonials list). Hence we've had to remove these features.

Nitin

raj2rif
September 5th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Dear Sumit.

Thanks for all that you said --- I already know that - thanks for your sugessions. But I am worried about the image some are making for we Jats

Dear Ekta,

Very well brought out. It is we, who has to decide what kind of image we want to project to the rest of the world who views our posts on this site. While Freedom of Expression is a very good thing as many members feel, that can come on a different forum called "Time Pass". There is a difference between the serious discussion, professional exchange of views and foolhardiness. Some times I feel whether I am in a right place to discuss my view point. We all love our mother tounge and there is no discussion about that. But we should only practice at a place where others listening also understand. The most unfortunate part of the discussion comes when a member runs out of ideas and argument, he than comes to the conclusion that he just can't agree for he is a "JAT" and that "BRAVE" one and if he agrees to other's view point that would make him either coward or a non Jat.

It is funny to see the discussion being dragged to out of contest subjects by members. The funnier part is that when their attention is drawn to this fact, they simply ignore it and carry on the pretext of "Freedom of Expression"

What you have said carry merit. Hopefully, member will understand your post in letter and spirit it has been posted.

I must say a very good point well brought out. Keep it up.

jitender_singh
September 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Fully agreed Sir.

Regards
Jitender

Ekta

These changes were made due to bandwith and server load issues.

As the site has grown in usage, the server load increased meaningfully due to these features. Also, in the lats month, data transfer increased by roughly 40%. Hence we've had to remove these features.

Nitin

captmanjeet
September 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM
arey bhaai mhaari intelligency ke tai charchey hai...bataan ki jaroorat koni.

however not extolling about anything but our JAAT's raravavis qualities generally serve many a matutinal thoughts for life.Also a pussillanimous and ersatz mindset towards our mother toungue is bound to labilable i guess, but with time.
Vinay
kato dhasso angreegy likhe se bhai!!!!ek baat te pakki se jinke jaatu samaj nahi aati unke te yo terli angrzee bhi konya palle pade
capt manjeet

gaurav_malik
September 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
as ekta & manjeet were mentioning
posts will have bad impresstion on people
if jatu is used on what kind of people?
all r jats here.
& i m damn sure no race in the
world will be intersted in this site.
take ur own example do u consider to be
a member of baniya or punjabi site?

radhikachhillar
September 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Dear Ms. Ekta,

Teekda, nuni ghee,,,,,,but bakhora kaya hota hei? Wel brght out.

vdeswal
September 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
bakhora- steel glass,vessle used to serve milk/tea or water etc.

shailendra
September 6th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Dear Mr. Nitin Dahiya, Administor of Jatland,

I have seen from last 3/4 days there are coming some different kind of comments on each other. How much correct and how much right they are I don’t know.
But one thing I have noticed that you have changed some settings in the site as follows:-
1. In members' area ---- There are people visited today not visible in the site --- not good - it should be visible - at least we can see who of our friends visited today, so we can be sure to know them more.
2. One more important is - - you have changed the setting in matrimonial. The photos are not visible in thumbs size as it was earlier, please do it as before.

-----
Apart from above try to refresh the site by giving the good views here sparing the example of Jat, Jatni, Tau, Hukka, Katda etc , don’t make the site of fools here making the silly laugh at jat community.... we are educated now. By giving these type of satire our goodwill goes down around the world through this site. Some people think that this is their culture, yes culture is rich everywhere, but submitting as a point of foolishness is not recommended at all. I know there will come many replis on this point, but I have to say it.

I request you to make our site more useful rather then to a platform of fools (sorry to say) so no Praveen should leave the site.

Regards.

Ekta

Welcome Ekta, and glad to have your first tangible post here! (I sure wish that most new-comers with do that, rather than requesting the by now very tired,'I am new here' post!)
So having said that and knowing fully well that it would be walking a tightrope here (cause the last thing I wanna do is discourage you on your take-off post)...and so will try and tread carefully here (quite difficult to do for a six feet two, 190 pounds Jat with almost two clumsy left feet :D )...
[Oh and by the way, you know what was really ironic is that you mention about losing the old garb and stepping into the new mordern mantle in one breath, and then in the other breath mentioned something like,'so no Praveen should leave the site'!!! (by the way; she has not gone anywhere...and is very much here enjoying a new lease of life on Jatland!)...
If anything what I do like about your call is for this site and for everyone to be more assertive and modern pro-active...so Haan, es tarah kae bekaar time paas,'Hi, I am new here'... 'but hey, I am now leaving forever'...'oh no wait!...I am back'....'oh I may leave again' is pointless....cause like you said, the Jat's and Jaatnis of the 21st century hilla dete hain, hill nahee jaate!]

Anyways, coming back to your post; Tumnae changes ki baat kahee, which is well taken I am sure....but consider what drew you here in the first place. It is the good mix of Humor, general discussions and some very serious and thought provoking posts here on this site...

Then why try and ask for everything to be cloaked into one big package that fails to differ or distingusih from the other? You see, all the 'Tau, Fiery Jaatnis, Hukka etc'...are very much part of our local folklore and culture....if in a gathering of Jat's and Jaatnis that wouldn't be discussed then what else?
Why shy away from a ancient tradition that will forever be part of us and distinguish us from the other great sub-cultures of India?

Talking about something ancient and old, does not neccessarily mean we are going backwards. It actually means that we all (both the young and the senior) can recognize our community's strengths and weaknesses even when we step into the new world stage!

raj_rathee
September 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Then why try and ask for everything to be cloaked into one big package that fails to differ or distingusih from the other? You see, all the 'Tau, Fiery Jaatnis, Hukka etc'...are very much part of our local folklore and culture....if in a gathering of Jat's and Jaatnis that wouldn't be discussed then what else?
Why shy away from a ancient tradition that will forever be part of us and distinguish us from the other great sub-cultures of India?

Talking about something ancient and old, does not neccessarily mean we are going backwards. It actually means that we all (both the young and the senior) can recognize our community's strengths and weaknesses even when we step into the new world stage!

Thanks Hooda. I wanted to respond here as well....but am too
wrapped up with work and family.

Frankly, I found this post outrageous and insulting and would have loved
to speak out my mind here. But thanks for handling it...rather politely,
I must say...Saved me from being "roud". :mad:

[Err yeh 6foot2 aali ke baat thee...bhya karwaan ki socch ra se ke ?
:p .....]

mkrana
September 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM
My thoughts on the issue are that most of the bulletin boards which are not 'strictly' controlled by Admins are bound to drift from their purpose at one time or the other.
The only solution is the users in-general should be editing their own post and put that to appropriate categories.
Sometime I too get confused by reading mails written in 'local' slangs. FYI: I don't understand them very well but somehow figure out what has been written.
We should not get confused between Haryanvi and Jat. Though most of the time they seem synonymous. But remember "Haryanavi is one of the languages spoken by jaats".
Until you want to convey your thoughts only to Harayanvi-speaking people it is fine to me (As I will simple ignore these). But if the issue concerns jaat community as a whole, it will be better to avoid the local-slangs to reach broader audience.

Regarding 'Tau-Tai' I think if we can deliver some good and clean humors/ideas through these jat-characters, that would be really great. As they already represent unmistakenable characters from our community. Which way they got portrayed is upto them. They can very well act as out PRs muscots :p .

Anyway these are only my views and should not result in any language-based-war-bashing :-)

poonam
September 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM

Regards.

Ekta

I’m not surprised Ekta since I’ve come across many Jats who share the similar mindset as yours who are ’ashamed’ of communicating in their native language and also few extremes who are ashamed of even disclosing that they are jats and let me tell you I’m ashamed of them and feel sorry for them. That is one of the major reasons that we are losing our old heritage and unable to propagate it down the generations. Wherever you go whatever you become ..must never ever detach from your roots. When I say roots here I mean all our old cultural and traditional heritage and for that matter be it the native language colloquial speech or the slang. They are all very integral part of JAT style and culture.

Let me quote your statement here which is kind of hard for me to swallow:

“try to refresh the site by giving the good views here sparing the example of Jat, Jatni, Tau, Hukka, Katda etc , don’t make the site of fools here making the silly laugh at jat community.... we are educated now”

If education means mere excelling academically then better be uneducated. There is a whole lot of difference in being a literate and educated. Education endows you with knowledge which has such a liberating power, it expands your horizon, your vision, your perspective to see things. And it becomes binding of an educated Jat to recognize their heredity and respect it. Believe me doing that is not fluid and amounts a lot of efforts.

Lemme share my first hand experience with you guys. I’m the kind of person who enjoys speaking our native language and would love to pass it on to my next generation. Now keeping this in mind visualize this episode. My first meeting with a big shot Jat scientist here. Inspite of revering our culture and dialect I was a bit reluctant and hesitant and was using only English as a mode of communication but to my pleasant surprise this gentleman started talking in haryanvi. This is education. No matter how triumphant and accomplished you are you DO NOT forget your roots. His respect grew even more in my eyes.

I do not understand Ekta how come that idea crept into your mind that we are spoiling the image of this site by using these slang and tau/tai examples…these are integral part of Jat identity. That’s how we are distinct from others.

And who says we are not debating on cerebral, intellectual issues which involve rubbing the grey matter up there and I’m delighted to see that there is no dearth of these scholars and great thinkers here on this site.

devdahiya
September 7th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I’m not surprised Ekta since I’ve come across many Jats who share the similar mindset as yours who are ’ashamed’ of communicating in their native language and also few extremes who are ashamed of even disclosing that they are jats and let me tell you I’m ashamed of them and feel sorry for them. That is one of the major reasons that we are losing our old heritage and unable to propagate it down the generations. Wherever you go whatever you become ..must never ever detach from your roots. When I say roots here I mean all our old cultural and traditional heritage and for that matter be it the native language colloquial speech or the slang. They are all very integral part of JAT style and culture.

Let me quote your statement here which is kind of hard for me to swallow:

“try to refresh the site by giving the good views here sparing the example of Jat, Jatni, Tau, Hukka, Katda etc , don’t make the site of fools here making the silly laugh at jat community.... we are educated now”

If education means mere excelling academically then better be uneducated. There is a whole lot of difference in being a literate and educated. Education endows you with knowledge which has such a liberating power, it expands your horizon, your vision, your perspective to see things. And it becomes binding of an educated Jat to recognize their heredity and respect it. Believe me doing that is not fluid and amounts a lot of efforts.

Lemme share my first hand experience with you guys. I’m the kind of person who enjoys speaking our native language and would love to pass it on to my next generation. Now keeping this in mind visualize this episode. My first meeting with a big shot Jat scientist here. Inspite of revering our culture and dialect I was a bit reluctant and hesitant and was using only English as a mode of communication but to my pleasant surprise this gentleman started talking in haryanvi. This is education. No matter how triumphant and accomplished you are you DO NOT forget your roots. His respect grew even more in my eyes.

I do not understand Ekta how come that idea crept into your mind that we are spoiling the image of this site by using these slang and tau/tai examples…these are integral part of Jat identity. That’s how we are distinct from others.

And who says we are not debating on cerebral, intellectual issues which involve rubbing the grey matter up there and I’m delighted to see that there is no dearth of these scholars and great thinkers here on this site.

Poonam........Ye tabbar kise ke behkaye od sein ar na te kisse baat tei ghane dukhi sein...na tei ghar mei badtei-e chilli na marya kre koe. What You said though is absolute truth. proud of you!

raj_rathee
September 7th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Very nicely put Poonam...Thanks...
Hope Ekta can appreciate these views being expressed by some of our highly
educated and yet very Jatu friends...and pick up some self respect while
doing so....

vinodks
September 8th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Though I agree with Poonam and Rathee's views that being educated and developed doesn't mean we forget our roots and forgo our cultural values but this point is so general and so veritable that nobody would disagree with it. I think the problem here is "circumsciption of topic", even Ekta would agree with this point even though what she wrote looks opposite but it shouldn't be read literally. I am not saying that talking about Tau, Tai, Katra etc would mean we are not educated but neither that all the time talking about Tau-Tai-Katra would mean we are educated and still adhering to our cultural roots. I think what Ekta had in mind that there so many other things to talk about our history and cultural and current social problems that the projection and portrayl of Jat culture just based on Tau-Tai-Katra is incomplete if not wrong. We should not leave our social practices and values but our community deserves better than jokes like "Jat re jat tere sir pe khat", most plausible theory(for me) of our origin is Yadu(Yadav) tribe, personalities like Sri Krishna may have belonged to us then why Jats are just seen as uneducated peasants?

One of my friend studied in Oman and during a general chat she said that the only thing she knows about JAT is "Just Avoid Them" (of course as a joke). Do you think if I had cracked a couple of Tau joke in front of her would have made her think any better of JAT? Again I am not saying there is anything wrong in these jokes but a little bit of explanantion of context of joke should be conveyed to those who know nothing about Jats otherwise there are not even funny for some non-jat people. I have tried it. I know a lot can be discussed on this but its like 'preaching to the choir' because essentially Ekta and Poonam's point of view are not in contrast but misunderstanding of each other.

About Moderators: I observed that these days lots of threads are deleted without giving any explanation. I can't see a thread in which I posted a message yesterday(unless my eyes gone bad). This kind of behavior on moderators' behalf makes Jatland unworthy of sincerity and concern that serious members(like me) commit to it.

-Vinod

poonam
September 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I know a lot can be discussed on this but its like 'preaching to the choir' because essentially Ekta and Poonam's point of view are not in contrast but misunderstanding of each other.
Vinod

I'm sorry to say,Vinod....but looks like you misunderstood me here.. :)

And also no inclination to repeat myself again!!

vinodks
September 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry to say,Vinod....but looks like you misunderstood me here.. :)

And also no inclination to repeat myself again!!

Poonamji, sorry for misunderstanding but I tried my best... gussa mat hona:-))))

-vinod

poonam
September 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Poonamji, sorry for misunderstanding but I tried my best... gussa mat hona:-))))

-vinod

gussa....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......... :mad: :D

praveendangi
September 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
poonam dont know wat is gusssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

gussa....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......... :mad: :D

spdeshwal
September 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Dear Vinod, thanks for sharing your views on the subject!

About the actions of the moderators, probably you came on the site a little belatedly. The discussin on the thread has taken an ugly turn .One of our members who claims to be believer of Gandhian philosophy of non-violence was violent himself. Probaby he doesn't know the actual Ghandhian philosophy of non-violence. Just to remind the friend involed in that discussion; According to Gndhiji violenc is physical, verbal and mental. When hurt is caused by the body, it is physical, for example beating for no cause, torture etc.When hurt caused with words, words of hate and anger to wound somebody"s self-respect, the violence is verbal.When somebody thinks ill of oanother, plansevil and even thinks of murdering out of jealously, hate or anger, violence is mental. That is pecisely what our friend was doing, engaging himself and others in "verbal violence". Of course our other friend was responsible too for feuling his thoughts. And at that point probably it become necessary for the moderators to intervene.

Vinod I think in this case the moderators have acted judiciously.

shailendra
September 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Though I agree with Poonam and Rathee's views that being educated and developed doesn't mean we forget our roots and forgo our cultural values but this point is so general and so veritable that nobody would disagree with it. I think the problem here is "circumsciption of topic", even Ekta would agree with this point even though what she wrote looks opposite but it shouldn't be read literally. I am not saying that talking about Tau, Tai, Katra etc would mean we are not educated but neither that all the time talking about Tau-Tai-Katra would mean we are educated and still adhering to our cultural roots. I think what Ekta had in mind that there so many other things to talk about our history and cultural and current social problems that the projection and portrayl of Jat culture just based on Tau-Tai-Katra is incomplete if not wrong. We should not leave our social practices and values but our community deserves better than jokes like "Jat re jat tere sir pe khat", most plausible theory(for me) of our origin is Yadu(Yadav) tribe, personalities like Sri Krishna may have belonged to us then why Jats are just seen as uneducated peasants?

One of my friend studied in Oman and during a general chat she said that the only thing she knows about JAT is "Just Avoid Them" (of course as a joke). Do you think if I had cracked a couple of Tau joke in front of her would have made her think any better of JAT? Again I am not saying there is anything wrong in these jokes but a little bit of explanantion of context of joke should be conveyed to those who know nothing about Jats otherwise there are not even funny for some non-jat people. I have tried it. I know a lot can be discussed on this but its like 'preaching to the choir' because essentially Ekta and Poonam's point of view are not in contrast but misunderstanding of each other.

About Moderators: I observed that these days lots of threads are deleted without giving any explanation. I can't see a thread in which I posted a message yesterday(unless my eyes gone bad). This kind of behavior on moderators' behalf makes Jatland unworthy of sincerity and concern that serious members(like me) commit to it.

-Vinod

???... So yeah, ok! point taken. And so?.....well, I would say that when you meet next people like your friend in Oman just make a good guess as always and don't slapstick your beliefs and Jaatuness on anyone that may be offended with it! Right? Period!...No big deal! :cool:
But having said that, and coming back to the main post about Jatland; Aren't we discussing here less about how not to behave infront of other community members, but more about what happens or should happen on a Website! Our Website...a website for Jats!!?!! Who do you think would be offended with Tau-Tai, Raagni jokes, or Jaatu Discussions and friendly banters HERE???...Who?

What are we talking about then? Well then who is more confused with the whole discussion here???...

You know Vinod yaar, I realy take offense this time around cause now the support of the whole pointless matter is coming NOT from a new member (BTW she has disappeared from the scene altogether, didn't she?)...but is coming from someone like you, someone who has been on this website for some time now and understands...but then to say that talking of Tau-tai-Katra etc. all the time (?) might be regressing!?!...(comeon, maybe you or anyone who just sees the site as just THAT needs to move out of the Humor/Timepass section sometimes and maybe read the other authentic discussions that happen here on the site all the time too!)...

ps. Oh and about the other thread being frozen, maybe you completely missed the fact that someone was getting quite 'nasty' with his posts in there...(I am sure while preaching me how to not 'ruffle' his feathers anymore you failed to notice that! ;) ) You know, I think it was best frozen by the moderators, cause I was just beginning to warm up, if you know what I mean jelly bean (What? Come on man, You serious!?!...You mean you did not really like my 'aage se-peeche se' creative kavita's??? ;) )...although I do agree it is a shame cause the post was quite a good and genuine one and all the efforts and details mentioned in there of Sujata out on the Help mission to New Orleans got lost in the process! :mad:

vinodks
September 9th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Let me refine my argument:
1) I agree that we were talking about what kind of Jat image is being projected in Jatland(which is a closed community of Jats) but not how its being done infront of outsiders. But these two aspects are not independent, becuz if we implicitly assume this double-role it would be on the cost of little duplicity. We may not be talking all the time about Tau-Tai-Katra in other forums except humor but again I didn't literally meant that, most of useless posts like Hanuman being Jat, Mallika serawat, Hooda's dowry case, Resign and Taking rebirth in Jatland, welcome-welcome-welcome etc fall in that category. I agree sometimes usefull stuff also gets discussed here. But I think it would improve in time.

2) One reason I supported Ekta's point of view was that I am sure she didn't mean literally what she said and it looked unseemly the way she (as a newcomer) got bashed by seasoned members. Her inflaming sentence "..aren't we educated now" shows lack of proper words to convey her view but not meant to be read literally. If she joins discussion now by saying thats exactly what she meant then I would say she is being wrong.

3) I found your remark "..aage se gilli, peeche se pilli" very funny the first time I read it. But when it appeared four times as a reply to Jeetendra Sinsinwar's whinning, I wanted to say that its not good to keep pulling someone's leg all the time when that person takes things seriously and posts something becuz of which threads get scratched. I also enjoy leg-pulling but when it comes to hurt someone I don't.

4) I think I missed the fight in that thread:-(((( so sad... I didn't check posts on time and it got scratched. So I have no complaints against moderators.

-Vinod

vinodks
September 9th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Ofcourse I didn't mean to force my view on others, it is in spirit of healthy debate.

-vinod

shailendra
September 9th, 2005, 02:35 AM
3) I found your remark "..aage se gilli, peeche se pilli" very funny the first time I read it. But when it appeared four times as a reply to Jitendra's whinning, I wanted to say that its not good to keep pulling someone's leg all the time when that person takes things seriously and posts something becuz of which threads get scratched.
-Vinod

LOL! Kya yaar, itnae mushkil sae baith kae kavita bananae ki koshish kee thee...I was almost ready to copyright the 'geeli-peeli' into great journal/writer archives! ;)
Chalo koi baat nahee...point well taken, too many times and the poor guy could well have committed Hara-Kiri! (Not that he needed any more prompting though! :rolleyes: )

vinodks
September 9th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Hooda,
Chalo achha laga you took it in light spirit... wasse Ektaji kahan chali gayi, mein unki absence mein akela kurukshetra ke maidaan mein data hooaa hoon.. madamji duty per hain kya?:-)))

-vinod

raj_rathee
September 9th, 2005, 05:27 AM
1) I agree that we were talking about what kind of Jat image is being projected in Jatland(which is a closed community of Jats) but not how its being done infront of outsiders. But these two aspects are not independent, becuz if we implicitly assume this double-role it would be on the cost of little duplicity. We may not be talking all the time about Tau-Tai-Katra in other forums except humor but again I didn't literally meant that, most of useless posts like Hanuman being Jat, Mallika serawat, Hooda's dowry case, Resign and Taking rebirth in Jatland, welcome-welcome-welcome etc fall in that category. I agree sometimes usefull stuff also gets discussed here. But I think it would improve in time.

2) One reason I supported Ekta's point of view was that I am sure she didn't mean literally what she said and it looked unseemly the way she (as a newcomer) got bashed by seasoned members. Her inflaming sentence "..aren't we educated now" shows lack of proper words to convey her view but not meant to be read literally. If she joins discussion now by saying thats exactly what she meant then I would say she is being wrong.

3) I found your remark "..aage se gilli, peeche se pilli" very funny the first time I read it. But when it appeared four times as a reply to Jeetendra Sinsinwar's whinning, I wanted to say that its not good to keep pulling someone's leg all the time when that person takes things seriously and posts something becuz of which threads get scratched. I also enjoy leg-pulling but when it comes to hurt someone I don't.

4) I think I missed the fight in that thread:-(((( so sad... I didn't check posts on time and it got scratched. So I have no complaints against moderators.

-Vinod

Vinod, we do appreciate your trying to be
understanding of Ekta's probable inability to
express herself. But on an internet forum we have nothing
much to go on except for the words we see.

It is just so hard to now know who is having what issues,
who suffered what childhood trauma, who just checked
out of a mental ward, or, for that matter, if Vinod is still
intoxicated from the Holi celeberations... (:D) and so on.
If we did we could be more understanding and accomodating.
But we don't. That is why I have repeatedly said here, and will say
again: People shouldn't take anything personally here.
Responses should be seen as words responding to words.
Ideas Vs. ideas. If people can get that I think we'd not
see so many problems here on Jatland.

There are many people here who have mastered this concept
and these people just can't be beaten down...and certainly
aren't the ones who'll "resign"....(Gosh...I laugh everytime
I see that word...). I think Sumit "Libertarian" Dahiya
is one recent addition to this gang. (Welcome Sumit !!)

Now, regarding Ekta's rather careless comments
(or was it poorly expressed ?), I'd prefer piggy
backing on other people's posts since I am damn tired
off squeezing myself under this table of mine....(forgive the
out of context comment for those of you who missed some
recent posts). But still let me add a few bits...

Ekta said:

"Apart from above try to refresh the site by giving the good views here sparing the example
of Jat, Jatni, Tau, Hukka, Katda etc , don't make the site of fools here making the silly la
ugh at jat community.... we are educated now. "

Seemed like she knows what she is talking about, Vinod !
I certainly would appreciate it if she could have let us know
which college she went to and what education and degrees she
got that has made her educated enough to be no longer a
fool. Perhaps, the lesser folks here might benefit and no
longer be seen as fools by whosoever she seems to have placed
on her high pedestals...now that she insists that we care
about the opinions of every "Bunty Shunty" she might have
grown up with that caused her to have such complexes.
Ms. Ekta, I do hope you understand that "Tau" is not just some
character in the Humor section on Jatland ! "Tau" is representative
of every elder Jat in our community. It represents that old man
in our family who sheltered us from all harm; the old man who
came to check on us in the midst of the night and asked our mums. "Beti,
bhai ka taap tae na sae eeb? Taap ho tae Daaktur ne le ke
aaon"; that old man who changed three buses to visit us in our
hostels to ensure we were doing fine and had enough "Ghee"; that
old man who smacked his "doga" on our mischeivious arses to make
sure we stayed on track; that old man who pulled out three hundred
rupees from his secret and meagre savings so that we could buy
the "Shiyahee Choos", which we tricked him into believing
was some rather expensive but very important "blotting paper".

That is what I see when I hear the word "Tau" ! When I hear the
word "Hukka" I see this old man majestically sitting in his "Poli"
ever watchful of his family members. That tobacco smell permeates
around my imagination reassuring me of his presence.

.....Well, I hope you are not missing the point. Our "Tau"s,
and his "Hukka", the "Katda" and everything we talk about
on this site, laugh at or enjoy in any way here is the very
backbone of our nature and our strength. It is the very fabric
of our existence. It represents who
we are and where we are coming from. It is the legs and
shoulders that we have stood on and come this far.

How you could possibly have used the word "fools" within
any of this, or even thought that your being "educated"
(and I see absolutely nothing from you that would bolster
such a claim on your part...) should now free you from
your imaginary shackles is just way beyond me.

Learn to acknowledge who you are, where you came from,
and be proud but not arrogant of it. Derive your strength
from it. If you forget your roots, you will end
up being a rudderless boat.

This site allows us to celebrate our roots, to not forget
who we are despite being thousands of miles away from home.
Some of us have grown up and spent most of our lives
outside of India, and yet it is "Tau" and his "Hukka"
that continues to give us strength. And we too are
not lacking in any education....no, not by any stretch
of imagination.

[And like I alluded to before....my comments are
not directed at Ekta or anyone specifically. It merely
represents my feelings and views in response to ideas
seen under post #1. :D]

vinodks
September 9th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Rathee, your symbolic description of Tau and hukka was touching and I fully understand the importance of adhering to one's cultural roots and I can very well identify myself with lower-middle class of uneducated farmers since till midldle class, I studied in an obscure village where bus goes but just 3 times a day, postman comes from nearby village to deliver letters and women fight over tap water. So I think I know in-and-out of this-and-that and I realize that beside good qualities of our people and our culture, there are certain social problems that need to be improved. These things are not water, electricity and employment etc. these things reside in people's mind. But that doesn't make our land any worse to us but offers opportunities to give it back what I drew from it. Jatland is place of people of such kind. So there is more to be done than celeberate the beauty of Tau concept. There are some Taus who don't smoke their hukka if its touched by a 'chamaar'(SC), why? Aren't they our people? But all these things aren't related to the argument of projection of Jat image.

All that was digression:-)) I backed Ekta becuase of reverence to her profession and thought what she said might have be slip of tongue as Rathee also once made mistake of calling Hindi and Sanskrit medium schools as hell:-)
But since Ekta vanished after making us fight I no longer support her.

Vinod

raj_rathee
September 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Jatland is place of people of such kind. So there is more to be done than celeberate the beauty of Tau concept.
Vinod

Absolutely ! And Tau and his Hukka certainly are not impeding anyone
from doing anything they want for the community !

Iss site pe space ki kami toh nahin hai ! At least not that I have heard of. Anyone
seriously "doing" is fully encouraged to have a blast, and go for it. I have not
heard "Tau" complaining .....

I am sure Ms Ekta had some serious plans on how she was going
to do her part in upliftment of the community ([excuse me while I choke
in my own sarcasm]), and will let us know how she felt that "Tau" was
messing up her plans.... :rolleyes:

vinodks
September 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Absolutely ! And Tau and his Hukka certainly are not impeding anyone
from doing anything they want for the community !
:

Thanks for very encouraging words. In life if you ever get respite from your choking in sarcasm and wonder what "you" can DO, you can talk to me. Till then see ya, me not going to waste my time here anymore.

Vinod

raj_rathee
September 9th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for very encouraging words. In life if you ever get respite from your choking in sarcasm and wonder what "you" can DO, you can talk to me. Till then see ya.

Vinod

Hmmm ! Yeh consulting services provide karne ke liye H1B hai kya ?
:eek:

Relax yaar ! You are just taking my comments on yourself whereas
these weren't directed at you.... :)

ratananmol
September 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Friends:
I have not followed this thread to make sweeping comments but this is another example of multitude of words/sentences being used to speculate on the intended meaning of wrong use of words.
How can you engage in useful dialogue without precise (intended) use of language? Does that not underlie the importance of using correct language?
In an argumentative exchange it would become extremely difficult to find out incorrect use of language and provide alternate answers to all possible interpretations. If somebody wants to learn the language than it least the arguments have to be avoided or better avoid people who always argue and/or need substantial improvements in their language. (I would rather stick to this policy than solicit forum usage policies to control my posts or drink bournvita,aka poonam).
Best
anmol.
(I hope sahora, sandeep dahiya and all "high-moral-standard, bash-sardar, spare-the-rest" group is reading this reply; and i feel fortunate that this thing has arisen out of its own for me to emphasize the significance of reasonably proper use of langauge rather than dig it out from somewhere.)

dkumar
September 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM
It seems Ekta has withdran her from the discussion and you guys are discussing it out among urself w/o initiator.

raj2rif
September 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Dear Members,

Ms. Ekta had given a very good point to ponder, but I see lots of bashing in the garb of showing and proving to show one's love for their mother toung/language (trying to be on safer side so that the correct meaning of words is understood).

Firstly, by communicating in Haryanvi, or Jattu as many of us call it, does not mean that you are the only one who loves his/her culture. Any discussion is fruitful if it communicate well among the people. If it does not, then we land up in the discussion that is going on here. Manoj Rana has given a very good point about disussion going heywhile at some point or other if not moderated.

In the last Jat Picnic, I was trying to introduce the new members of the community, and trying to thank those who worked hard to make the function successful, using Bolchal Ki Bhasha Hindi and using some words of English, when one of our old folk interrupts, "Bhai Haryanvi Mein Bol" Well, I tried to make him happy to use some words of Haryanvi, when some members said that these kids who have been born and brought up don't understand the "Theth Haryanvi" and the Bolchal Ki Bhasha that was used was perfect for the setting. The question here is what is understood by the audiance that is what communication means. I am not a communication specialist, but I see my wise friends "most of them happen to be in IT industry which is the back bone of communication" are bashing Ekta for a very genuine point that she has raised. I may be a poor student of learning the language, but having spent most of my life with the people from Haryana, I myself have not been able to learn and understand "Theth Haryanvi" Language myself.

I am not scared or ashamed of using littlebit of Haryanvi Language myself including some "Jokes" of Tau or Katda if the setting is right and the audiance is able to understand what I am trying to convey, but to use it every time when the audiance/readers are as large as you see on internet, then using only Haryanvi or propogating it to that extent or identifying the use of Haryanvi with the love and hate of your own culture is some thing beyond my beliefs.

Let us grant Ekta that she did raise a good point and see her views in this light.

raj_rathee
September 10th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I am not scared or ashamed of using littlebit of Haryanvi Language myself including some "Jokes" of Tau or Katda if the setting is right and the audiance is able to understand what I am trying to convey, but to use it every time when the audiance/readers are as large as you see on internet, then using only Haryanvi or propogating it to that extent or identifying the use of Haryanvi with the love and hate of your own culture is some thing beyond my beliefs.

Let us grant Ekta that she did raise a good point and see her views in this light.

Col. Chacha, some of the language concerns are PERHAPS understandable..though perhaps difficult to resolve... Personally, I find it difficult to understand how anyone raised in Haryana, UP, Rajasthan, Delhi could have any serious issues in learning or at least managing with these local languages. Having had only two years of formal Hindi education, and having been outside India for most of my life, I personally do not think that most of these people would find it so difficult to at least manage. But I don't want to get into that here.

The original post and the subsequent responses were not
really directed at the use of Haryanvi language as such. If you would perhaps
care to reread Ekta's post, I feel a lot got said there...and her inability
to understand Haryanvi was NOT one of them.

And, oh by the way, Ekta DID write in English ! Clearly, judging by
her post, writing in English certainly is no fix for the "communication"
issues you were referring to. Her poorly communicated ideas might
actually suggest that she should have tried her local language instead !

rajneesh
September 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Dear Members,

Ms. Ekta had given a very good point to ponder, but I see lots of bashing in the garb of showing and proving to show one's love for their mother toung/language (trying to be on safer side so that the correct meaning of words is understood).

Firstly, by communicating in Haryanvi, or Jattu as many of us call it, does not mean that you are the only one who loves his/her culture. Any discussion is fruitful if it communicate well among the people. If it does not, then we land up in the discussion that is going on here. Manoj Rana has given a very good point about disussion going heywhile at some point or other if not moderated.

In the last Jat Picnic, I was trying to introduce the new members of the community, and trying to thank those who worked hard to make the function successful, using Bolchal Ki Bhasha Hindi and using some words of English, when one of our old folk interrupts, "Bhai Haryanvi Mein Bol" Well, I tried to make him happy to use some words of Haryanvi, when some members said that these kids who have been born and brought up don't understand the "Theth Haryanvi" and the Bolchal Ki Bhasha that was used was perfect for the setting. The question here is what is understood by the audiance that is what communication means. I am not a communication specialist, but I see my wise friends "most of them happen to be in IT industry which is the back bone of communication" are bashing Ekta for a very genuine point that she has raised. I may be a poor student of learning the language, but having spent most of my life with the people from Haryana, I myself have not been able to learn and understand "Theth Haryanvi" Language myself.

Ya bhi koe baat hooi bhai. Jatland se oos per theth na bolllenge te bihari bollenge. very strange and out of context. Ekta koon se ya?