PDA

View Full Version : Hostel environment!! how to get time for study?

mandhan
September 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Friends can you tell me how one can find time to study in hostel. time goes very fast and is mainly spent on eating, sleeping, playing cards late night, or zym and remaining is wasted on boring lectures and gap in between lectures.

If some one had or have experience of hostel life, please tell me how to avoid unnecessory things. I have wasted full month of first sem without touching books. and thinking of (breaking NARIYAL for starting study one day)...

so suggest!!!

dahiyarules
September 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I am not surprised yaar. I lived in a dorm for one and a half year. and it was a horrible experience. My grades fell, and I became a zombie. Everyone else seems to be trying their best to keep you from doing something with your life. Take my suggestion, and move off-campus. I did it. And its working.

captmanjeet
September 17th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Hi Jitender,
it is really a very tactful act to find time for studies when you’re in the company of so many distractions around. I have personnel experience of staying in hostel for more then 13 years. I have studied in boarding school and then again in hostel in college. There was a difference in atmosphere at both the places. In school the strictness was there which developed the habit of timings or made our routine such that we were having fixed time for every activity be it sports, watching TV, sleeping or studies. But in college things were different suddenly there was no strictness u are on your own to fix up things for urself. Days passed like hours and I had time for every thing other then books. But my first terminals shocked me and I decided on making a timetable and tried to follow it religiously. Firstly it was bit difficult but later on it worked I established a solid balance between every activity there in the college be it sports studies or co curricular activities and even elections.
Try it, it will be helpful. Make timetable for urself and remember to follow it. This will allow you to establish a balance. Once u will establish that balance then there is no substitute of hostel life. In my view it is gr8 experience.
Capt. Manjeet

jagmohan
September 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Dear Jitender,

I don't know whether you belong to a village or a town, what is your aim in life and how well to do your parents are, because I find it hard to believe that you have not been able to start studies so far. May I know what are you doing in a hostel? Have you come here to waste your parents hard earned money or to engage in time pass?

Please excuse me if the answers to these questions hurt you, but if you have AN AIM in LIFE then I suppose even 24 hours in one day should be less for you. I only hope you realise how competitive the world is. Or you want to realise after you join the long line of unemployed roaming the streets of our country? May be you are very wealthy and don't need to work like most others.

I am sure if you read, re-read and understand what I have written in true spirit, you would realise that you have already wasted a complete month of your student life.

Good luck and start studying.

Regards,

JS Malik

dahiyarules
September 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Jagmohan Sir !

You are right on the money part. Humans tend to be careless when someone else is bearing the cost.

Jitender yaar, tension mat le. abhi ek hee mahina huaa hai. Apna bhi burra haal hai, lekin tere jitna nahin. start working on your books now, and put your family's money to good use.

mukeshkumar007
September 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM
If some one had or have experience of hostel life, please tell me how to avoid unnecessory things. I have wasted full month of first sem without touching books. and thinking of (breaking NARIYAL for starting study one day)...
so suggest!!!

Bhai Jitendra,
Hostel life ke fayde bi hai to nuksan bi hai, as someone said that there are two parts of a coin....
fayada yeh hai ki agar aap hostel maie reh rehe hai to apko khana banae ki mushibat se chutkara mil jayega,:) :) kyoki agar room lekar rehoge to dono time yeh khane wali tension rehegi... and ho sakta hai koi day bina khane hi nikal jaye... :)

BTW I don't have long experience of hostel life, but In my views it has many advantages if one can realise them...and rehi baat padne wali problem ki to bhiya baat yeh hai ki always make good friend and don't waste ur time with faltu boys because they often want to draw ur attention from ur study...
and remember what col malik uncle has said. Thanks uncleji for ur teaching words.
As sumit has said rightly said abi bi rassi pawo tale hi hai, joot jao... agar phir bi apko problem hai to mere bhai take a seprate room...

ravichaud
September 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Most of us had the same problem early in school. Here's what I did. Ditch the card players and people who waste time. Get with the people who are doing well and start studying with them.

There is time to work hard and time to play hard. You'll find that the people who do well KNOW WHEN TO WORK HARD AND WHEN TO PLAY HARD. Don't get discouraged. Just get serious. Best of luck to you.

mandhan
September 26th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Thank you friends for your suggestions.

And thank you jagmohan uncle. you are right what you said. I have wasted one full month.

I am a student of MCA (Guru Jambheshwar University, hisar). I am from Pinjore(Distt. Panchkula). my father is in HMT Ltd. I really needs to work hard, because i am in the final years of my study life and all depends on these couple of years.

Give some more real suggestions! thank you.
bye bye

jagmohan
September 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Dear Jitender,

If you have a clear aim in life and work hard towards its fulfillment, you need not be dependent on others guidance. Believe you me NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. You are lucky to be getting a chance to be studying in MCA in a university. And doubly lucky to be son of a parent who is well employed. Most of the people of my generation did not have such an advantage and our parents were farmers.

I keep saying this to my nephew: "Bhai, choice blkul clear hai. Ya to 3-4 saal sirf mehnat karo or phir zindagi bhar ek meaningful life jiyoo. Ya phir 3-4 saal aish karo or saari zindagi pareshan raho". And it is not difficult to get motivated in an over populated country where employment opportunities are shrinking each passing day.

I am sure you understood that my previous mail was written in a very positive spirit. Achieve something in life and make your parents proud.

God Speed and best regards,

JS Malik

devdahiya
September 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
My dear jitender, Whatever the situation and whatever the aim, discipline is the key. If you want to achieve any thing worth while, You have to define your priorities in the order of precedence and then pick out the top ones and leave out the least important ones.Mind you, once you do that,your problems will resolve automaticaly.Problems persists because we don't want to treat them.The moment you say No to things which can hurt you and your life in long run, things will fall in place.The above 'GURU MANTRA' is not only true for hostel life but is applicable for the whole life. Read the book," Don't say YES when you want to say NO." That will help a great deal. Also remember the famous QUOTE........." A BUSY MAN FINDS TIME FOR EVERY THING." Boy you can do every thing you dream but only with a focussed attitude! I pray for your success and happy times ahead! God speed! Study like a mad dog and enjoy like as if every day is a last day of life. No tensions please.

sandeepbalyan
September 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Dear Jitender Bhai

I have been in hostel for my degree, C according to me ...... toppers and loosers both share same hostel........... having same 24 hours ...same classes
same practical ..... same food and near to equal pocket money ...... So now question is Y one is topper and other is looser ..... difference lies in the
group of people around you in hostel and one's approach to life, if you hang around with sincere guys ......u will never loose .... some of guys are very focused for thier future... Ek time ayega .... u will be ....sitting on top of them ........

I have personal experince for that ...... "ACCHI SANGAT BAHUT JAROORI HAI " .............

Ek aur baat hostel is good place to live in ..... as you will get life time experience their. You will meet mostly all types of people those u will face in your life ahead .
i.e. helping ,cunning,sincere,liers.What i mean is you will be able to develop a quality to know and judge between good and bad ....

As Malik Uncle jee nai bola ...... U have to decide ...... "AAJ MAUJ KARNI HAI, YA JINDGEE BHAR MAUJ KARNI AHI"

So man ...make line of action ..try to make a proper time table ......and hook u r self with it ......

Their is no subsitute to hard work .... luck plays on top of it .........
So work hard and be focussed for u r future ..... MAKE U R PARENT AND U R SELF FEEL PROUD......... and I know every jat have this efficiecy in BLOOD .
So njoy life do gym watch movies but once you have finished u r days study ....... you know u will love to watch movies if you have finished u r study ...
of the day ....... u will love to go to lecture ........ as u will be well prepared to ...handle questions from intructor ... and you can make them ..run on their toe ..by
asking meaningfull and logical question on the subjects................

I can remember line from a song..............."JAWANI NEEND BHAR SOYA BUDHAPA DEKH KE ROYA "

So man u r lucky u have time and support njoy it and make all of us proud.............
Life after college is full of competiotions and one have develop habit of facing it in the college itself .

So man Best of luck ..... keep posting if u face any problem ......

GOD BLESS
Many Regards
Sandeep Baliyan

dahiyarules
September 26th, 2005, 02:37 PM
You know what, I got a night job. I study all night. No American wants to do the job, becuase they do not want to miss their bed. For me its as natural sleeping during day, as it is during night. I can sleep anywhere I can stretch my entire body into 180 degrees. So, a bed is not a prerequisite for me to get a sleep.

The moral of the story is, make your options flexible. Find theundercapitalized time slots in your day, and exploit them. I wish I my day had more than 24 hours. After working 8 hours every night, sleeping 5 hours, going to college, food, gym, showers, I am hardly left with any time. So I study at work. I have three exams this week and 3 assignments due. And guess what, I had everything ready, even before monday started. Organize yourself. It saves time. Make sure you have a to do list on you all the time, and mark your calendar for important events. This ensures everything happens on time. I can go on and on, but you can understand. I guess.

abhirana
September 26th, 2005, 03:49 PM
bhai mere
yeh jo cards hai inko phek do
aur bas padhai pe dhyan do
aur jo lecture mein padhaya jaaye woh sahi se
dimag mein bitha lo
sab kuch sahi se ho jayega
and the most important thing
just sort out your priorities
everything will be easy then...
good luck:)

~Abhishek rana

itsnavin
September 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Friends can you tell me how one can find time to study in hostel. time goes very fast and is mainly spent on eating, sleeping, playing cards late night, or zym and remaining is wasted on boring lectures and gap in between lectures.

so suggest!!!

Most of the replies to ur post advice u to concentrate on ur studies only..throw the cards away...follow good company..don't waste parent's money...blah blah...I don't agree with many of them...no offences!

I was in RECKurukshetra hostel for 4 years and 2 years in IITDelhi hostel. To me, hostel life is not for studies only. It's much more than this. It's true that u use parents money during that period but u can't enhance ur outlook staying at home with parents. In hostel, first thing u learn is to live independently. You make good friends at that stage. You learn when to have fun and when to study. You recognize people. And finally you recognize ur potential as an individual.

To me, there is no harm in playing cards, watching movies, wasting 'some' time in gossips etc as long as one knows what u r doing and how much time u've to allocate to it. I used to play cards whole night but it may be the case that the next whole night I am awake to study. Like Sumit, I used to study at night. Guys mugging whole day used to be surprised that I am at par with them the next morning. I rarely missed a movies in Kurukshetra during those 4 years. Yes, the most important thing I used to do was to attend classes regularly. I know, it's boring but atleast u r aware what's going on. And these were good for sessional exams.

As it's just ur first semester, you are new to the world of hostel and professional studies. You are coming from +2 study patterns when u used to study more than 12 hours per day. That's why u r worried much. I think it's the same for all. You must be surprised that in my first Sem. We were not allowed to study for first 2-3 months in hostel due to ragging. And if someone tried to break the 'informal' rule, it was his future!! We were not allowed to even switch on the light in our rooms. If we were to study, library was the only option but there was the danger to get caught by seniors when u leave library in the evening..:-(. After the freshers party, studies started and I faired better than expected like everyone in my group.

So...keep going on...study when u get time...allocate time for other activities..Study in group as it's fast learning. Individual learning can be time consuming and sleepy as well.

AND..don't forget to enjoy this time as u won't get this time back and it'll be the most memorable time of ur life!!

devdahiya
September 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Ok Jitu heed the advice given by Navin in totto. All the best! we all wish you well.

devdahiya
September 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Dahiya Sahab, Jitu ne views maangey they...aur aapney apne likh diye...manney apne likh diye...pher ke dikkat!!
rahi baat Jitu ke liye...bhai...suno sabki karo apne mann ki.

Ha..ha..ha...kyahein ki bhi te dikkat konya navin bhai....sab theek te sei. Cheers!

itsnavin
September 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Message Deleted on author's request

devdahiya
September 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Ibb theek sai! Cheers!

Izzat bachi lakhon paye......gratefulness Navin! Kadde haath de diya tha bhai? Thank God! pit gya honta?

itsnavin
September 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Message Deleted on author's request

mandhan
September 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Thank you all my jat brothers. You have given me lots of good suggestions. I will do my best and do some proud work for my parents and my community...

bye bye and have a beautifull life ahead!