PDA

View Full Version : Bird-Watching Bhindawas and Sultanpur Dec. 20 2003

pssangwan
December 29th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Through Jatland.com, I came to know about the great man, Mr. Dharampal Singh Dudee.
He emailed me that now he is in India and would like to see Bhindawas Bird Sanctuary and Sultanpur National Park and do some bird watching there and next day to attend the meeting. Of like-minded and talented Jats at Gurgaun.
With Mr. Dharampal Singh Dudee and our sister Mrs Rajwanti Dudee and my driver and co-birder Om Parkash Jangra, did a one-day relaxed and happy birding at Bhindawas and Sultanpur Dec. 20 2003.
Mr. Dharampal Singh Dudee, though originally belongs to village Ghasola, not far away from Bhindawas, had expressed a wish to see these two sites as a lover of the nature and apprise himself of the natural wealth around us in Haryana. He is an amateur journalist and historian and writer.
Luckily there was no fog on that morning and there was, though cool but mild, sunshine for the whole day.
Started at 8 a.m. from here.
Picked up Mr. Dharampal Singh Dudee and Mrs Rajwanti from Bhiwani and reached Bhindawas by 11.30.
Bhindawas has got a changed look this time.
Though there is sufficient water this year after a long time, and the avifauna is in abundance and one feels like as if one has visited a lake.
But they have erected two Bandhs in the old lake, one in the South Eastern part before the Rest House and the Watchtower and one in the Western part of the lake and made these two peripheral parts dry.
Thus the core area of the lake has been reduced substantially from 1050 acres to 750 acres.
In the, Eastern Part, the Haryana Tourism Deptt. has started making it a park with some games for the children to attract tourism.
In the Western part, the Forest Deptt. is planning some plantation.
What plantation???
It has already got sufficient trees in it!
I am afraid, as usual; they will choke it up with some monoculture like Eucalyptus trees and ruin this wonderful piece of land.
Even if they have made this part dry, and spent some money, they should leave it alone and let the natural native forest grow here with natural trees, bushes, reeds and shrubs: so that a diversity of birds visits it.
After all, this is a bird sanctuary and the interest of the birds should be the primary motive and not the plantation of the commercial trees to make money.
I have requested Mr. Suresh C Sharma of Sonipat and other delhibirders, to take up the matter with Mr. Jataki, the Chief Wildlife Warden Haryana, for the conservation of this precious site in Haryana.
HIGHLIGHTS:
1. A large flock of Bar-Headed Goose –must be around 350.
2. Graylag Goose –55
3. Black-Headed Ibis –80
4. A large flock of Spoon Bills on a central mound –might be above 200. A few artificial mounds have been created in and around the central part of the lake and this is a good idea. Birds have got a place to sit and relax.
5. Greater Spotted Eagle, Crested Serpent Eagle, Marsh Harrier Female and two other raptors which I could not identify properly.
6. Other usual ducks and small waders were there in good numbers like -, Egrets, Shovellers, and Pintails. Spot-billed Ducks, Mallards, Common Teals, Coots, Common Pochards, Gadwalls, Little Grebes, Sand Pipers, White Tailed Lapwing etc. But I did not see Flamingoes and Storks this time.
In the afternoon, we went to Sultanpur. This year, there is sufficient water in the lake and the avifauna was in abundance. This is the only National Park in Haryana. We strolled some distance on the peripheral footpath and enjoyed watching hordes of water birds feeding in the lake and resting on the trees and mounds
In the morning of 21st, I had planned birding with delhibird group at the Yamuna, but due to thick fog, I could not make it from Gurgaun and I missed the opportunity.
But I was lucky to attend the meeting of like-minded and talented Jats at Gurgaun.
You all must have read the report of this meeting on / Member Forums / Chapters and Itineraries - GET TOGETHER 2003 AT GURGAON by Mr Rajender Singh and my comments upon it.
I was fortunate to have the company of Mr. Dharampal Singh Dudee and Rajwanti Ji. He is a true example of simple living and high thinking. He is a true patriot, dedicated Arya-Smaji and very MILANSAR person. His company is very enlightening and invigorating.
I am also thankful to Mr. Dharam Pal Singh Dudee for gifting me a copy of his famous book “FRANCE TO KARGIL -Bhartiya Yudh Veeron Ka Sankshipt Itihas” with his autographs.
I have read the book thoroughly. I was mesmerized by the magnitude of the BALIDAAN of our nation as a whole, our community in particular and specially our Dudee family, in First and Second World Wars and then all the wars after independence. It fills us with pride. I congratulate Mr. Dharam Pal Singh Dudee for his tremendous effort in compiling such a storehouse of knowledge about our martyrs! Every Indian should read it.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year 2004.
Dr. Partap Singh Sangwan
Sangwan Hospital
Uklana Mandi Distt. Hisar Haryana -125 113
Ph. 01693-233077, 233677, 235077, M-9416044077
pssangwan@rediffmail.com

saharawat
December 29th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Hello Pratap ji

You described the Bird-Watching in very beautiful & pleasant way that i too now keen to visit the site.

Thankyou to share your journey pleasant moment with us.

ranjitjat
January 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Dear Dr partap singh Sangwan.
Thank you very much for your company. This was a wonderful experience. We will remember it for long time to come.
Wish you and your family a very happy new year 2004.

Dharmpal Dudee

pssangwan
January 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM
My privilege Dudee Ji.
An honour for me.
We will repeat such meetings many times.
With due regards,
Partap.

ranjitjat
March 10th, 2004, 07:15 PM
DR PARTAP SINGH JI & FAMILY

Wish you & your family a very happy holi & VIKRAM SAMVAT- HINDU NEW YEAR.

KOYE NAYA BIRD MILYA KY ?

BIRD-WATCHING IS GOOD.
PARANTU KHABI INSANAO KO BHI
WATCH KARO- KABHI SARSOM MAE
JHHOTA VADJA_ DANGAR HANDJA ??

CHEERS