Thread: Slow performance of a machine !

Unhappy Slow performance of a machine !

I am having a P- IV, 256 MB DDR RAM, 40 GB HDD, Intel 845 GVSR M/B,
    problem is tht the machine performance is very slow. Win 2k Prof + IIS + SQL Server is running on tht machine. The side by machine which is having a same configuration is running faster. I am not getting the root of the problem. I hv made several Virus scan but of no Help ! Formated the HDD & reinstalled OS but problem is where it is ! Gv. your valuable suggestions !
    To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy !

Too little RAM.. one more 256 Mb chip will make a huge difference...

also, set the virtual memory size to a fixed number (say 1gb) as opposed to a range. helps reduce disk activity... also, defragment the drive. also, use this util to defrag the registry hive and page file.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html

delete all files in the windoes\prefetch directory. disable any services that you do not need (eg: windows help and support). also, make sure you are not loading any programs that you do not really need to preload (eg: real player etc)...

Performance enhancement

Hi,
    I agree with Nitin that you have too little RAM. Many people think that having the latest and greatest processor is everything. The truth of the matter is that memory plays a much greater role than the processor in increasing system performance.
    I would recommend you to get 1 GB of RAM with 512 MB being the absolute minimum. Also, I noticed that you are still using Windows 2000? Any specific reason for that? If possible, please move to Windows XP as that can improve performance as well. Ensure that you have a Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive with 7200 Revolutions Per Minute.
    Finally, I would like to mention this website:
    http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html

Until this past weekend, my laptops were giving me problems, I tried some of the tips that they recommend at this website and both laptops have shown a marked improvement in performance.

I hope this helps,
    Satyeshwar
    There is a place in Delhi named "Rani Bagh". I say its irony at it's fullest!