Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: "Jan Jagriti - An Awakening"

noble and much planned activities are to follow.
    but, i am not sure if we have taken FAMILY PLANNING theme as a part of our programme.
    i feel that the root cause of problems should be targeted first n thereafter no looking back! How nice it would be if we can make people think about this issue...ONE IS ENOUGH...DON'T LOOK FOR MORE.
    For this we need to target general public....not only students.
    ...i have failed twice to convience within my family even

Yesterday, i posted a thread 'JATs ONLY...is it okay' n today i came to know that the NAME has already been changed.. OOPS, lack of information with me! Anyways, its updated now.

regards
    anil

Few concerns

Dear All,

Silence has pervailed here longer than it ought. Sorry I was so tied down by deadlines of conf and other what-nots. Anyway, I thought we cud have a little talk and catch up on various things. I had few issues that I want to raise here and people shd put their comments.

1) First of all, lets talk about modes of discussions. I have been emphasizing importance of discussion group where "core" volunteers could keep up discussions. So there are different levels (lateral not hierarchical) of involvement of people in a orgn -'core' vols, donars, general vols and audiences. I think Jan Jagriti is at the point where we could begin narrowing down the concept of 'core' volunteers. This would mean intensive internal talks amonst core people through a yahoogrp(for time being atleast) and use of forums (like Jatland) as announcement/publicity avenues. We have 2 yahoogroups and some people are member of one but not other. I think we all have consensus over our goals so it would be better if we move on to one group where everyone can participate. I think Jatland_seva members could move onto Jan_jagriti yahoogrp and revive the discussions the way we used to do in past. If anybody doesn't want it plz let us know. But its imp to have closer communication among vols.

2) We got lot of homework ahead of us before we could establish ourselves as formal orgn. Like, registeration, web site, protocol for vols, donars and lastly standardization. Shailendraji, plz keep us updated about whats going on registeration process, if you need help plz let everyone know even if I don't know how can we help. Its good we got a page in Jatland for Jan Jagriti but for long term we definately need to think about our own independent space.

3) Navin, I agree with your points in couples of last posts but cudn't put comments. Yeah, bottom-to-top approach is what we shd aim at. Yes we are clear and agreed on 2 main points of focus, education and sports. And yr last trip to village was great. We need to discuss more about raising money, e.g. 500Rs per 3 month thing. As we can see nobody responded to that point. Getting this much money from 50 people is not feasible as this stage. Personally I can comfortably give this amount but thats not the point. First of all, decisions of fund raising like this should be discussed among volunteers and then we shd go all out to gather money. Getting 25000Rs per 3 months, i.e. 1 lakh per year is huge money and it brings great deal of responsibilty with it. At the spur of moment and in enthusiasm people even may give lots of money but is this kind of fund raising process going to sustain with time?
    With the current level of our internal infrastructure I don't think we can meet this end in a "suistained" manner. Thats why its important to have 'core' group where people first discuss things before taking decision. I agree vols themselves should give monetory kick-start but generally vols DON'T donate money, they work(for which they sometimes get paid, like AID). But we are far way from that level of scale and formal structure. But we certainly could have some basic minimum fee for volunteers, which also means formation of a core group and involvement of everybody in decision-making. Plz put yr comments.

4) I also wanted to raise the issue of task-distribution. Once again, its the people physically present in India who are most imp part of Jan Jagriti. People like me can promise to try other ways of contribution like fund-raising etc. But we need to pool more local people in and thats where I am kind of clueless. What are our plans of increasing vols strength? Once we start as formal orgn, there will be too many things to take care of which 2-3 people might not be able to handle. Navin should have overall supervision of things but more vols are needed to take care stuff at ground level becuz few people can be everywhere at same time. So it becomes important to distribute tasks and call out for vols who is ready to take up something or other.

Once again, I want to emphasize the importance of doing some home work amongst vols who are more involved than others and come up with some sort of by-laws. I know the actual ground work matters but we need to polish our modes of operations to do that in more productive way.

Who are interested in getting involved plz join...
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatJagriti/

Thanks,
    -Vinod
    Last edited by vinodks; February 27th, 2006 at 09:10 AM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Dear Vinod and every one,
    Hmmm, yes, I was having the same questions in my mind and I had put up some points at jatland and these two forums and did not get any suggestions. Some additional points you mentioned, I ve been thinking about. I 100% agree with the points you brought up. They need to be addressed. Thanks for bringing them up.
    1. We need a core group/volunteers who agree to devote their time on a regular basis. Those who are on ground like me have to promise to devote their time to take part in the events and activities. Those who are online volunteers should contribute in the brainstorming part and if possible in the fund raising and support building part. We need a list of people who really want to work and not giving their name just for the sake of it.
    2. I don’t claim correctness in my thoughts, I just put my ideas up. I will also need to be corrected and directed just like everyone else at times. Together we ve to decide on suggestions and ideas and chalk out our future plans.
    3. I agree, we need to unite on one forum for the purpose of ‘Jan Jagriti’ and I also agree that for better results this effort may need a separate space i.e. a website solely for this purpose i.e vision, plans, activities, events, progress, requirements….
    4. Funds? Is an important issue. We will need funds little or more. I had suggested one idea infact which had earlier been suggested by Malik sir. People contributing a small amount on a regular basis.
    5. Registration is important . Shailendra bhai, please let us know what needs to be done.
    6. We have a lot of homework to do. But we ve to decide who all are working ie. Out of the long list of people on jatland, jatjagriti and jatland seva, who all agree to work either by intellectual inputs or by ground work. Silent working will not help. If a topic/point is brought up and there are no responses to it how do we expect to get results.
    Warm Regards
    Navin Gulia

"कर्मंयेवाधिकरास्ते = कर्मणि एव अधिकार: ते = कर्म करनें में ही अधिकार है तुम्हारा"

Jat Jagriti

Dear Guliya Ji,
    This kind of efforts are so valuable that it doesn't need an appreciation infact appreciation is a small word for it. I wish to know how can i relate myself with it and how can i contribute to this.
    Regards,
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Wonderful Sunita
    You can definitely play an important role. Once we start the classes around the later part of march, you could volunteer to take some classes along with Khushi. We will have to classify the kids into these categories. Upto 7th standard a common class for boys and girls. 8th onwards a class for boys and a separate class for girls. You could talk to/teach the senior girls along with Khushi. You don’t need to devote all your time only some Sundays. See if it is feasible for you.

Dear All
    It is accepted that when we begin things will take time. We just have to persist with our efforts and we will get results. We cant aim to change the world from the word go. We have to do our bit in the small ways that we can. Generally we tend to say that ‘hamare kuchh karne se kya farak padta hai’ and as a result nothing happens but if we do our bit sooner or later things will change.
    Regards
    Navin Gulia

"कर्मंयेवाधिकरास्ते = कर्मणि एव अधिकार: ते = कर्म करनें में ही अधिकार है तुम्हारा"

Hi Navin
    I completely agree with you. Development work is by nature slow and requires a lot of motivation and committment. Everyone's little efforts can bring a lot og change for good.

Regarding the points raised by you and Vinod. I think we are slowly beginning towards 'formalisation' of the jan jagruiti work which is good and bad. The good part is that the work can become smooth with designated roles and responsibilities and the bad part is formalisation itself, which many people (including me) dont like. There has to be a flexibility in terms of involvement of people and assigning a core group on actual work and brainstorming, forming by laws etc breeds pre-conceptions about what one SHOULD do as opposed to CAN do. We need creative thinking and work and we need individuals who see no boundaries to their work. Formalisation puts boundaries to what people CAN do.

In my opinion, instead of any strict core groups/procedures/by-laws, what we need is to keep the process open in which anyone can become a core member/general/ or audience. In my own capacity, sometimes, i just like to be an audience, when i have something to contribute to the brainstorming- i post my stuff, if i think my financial or in kind contribution is required, I will do so too in my capacity and when i can actually be physically present- i'd like to do some actual work too. I dont want to be made an outsider (losing ownership of the initiative) or an insider (losing objectivity) by formation of these groups!

I could be wrong too in my strong opinions against formalisation. This is all in the constructive dialogue perspective. Would love to hear other people's views on this. Its also great to see more female participation in the thread especially Sunita, who's actually come forward and offered her involvement. We need more people like you!

Priti

[Dear All
    It is accepted that when we begin things will take time. We just have to persist with our efforts and we will get results. We cant aim to change the world from the word go. We have to do our bit in the small ways that we can. Generally we tend to say that ‘hamare kuchh karne se kya farak padta hai’ and as a result nothing happens but if we do our bit sooner or later things will change.
    Regards
    Navin Gulia]

Priti, I don't agree with you. Aim of standardization in not to make process strictly formal so that it becomes hindrance to the actual work. Aim is to make actual work and involvement of people little more systematic while keeping it smooth. Well, I guess I don't need to list out all the adavantages which you can imagine after looking at all the major organizations. As the size gets bigger we certainly need to move out of mode of working according to personal preferences and at the same time we can keep everything very general and open which can suit maximum no. of people. Involvement of particulars can be assimilated in whole process by keeping flexible exceptions but we need basic sets of guidlines, which can be as broad as we want to begin with, to keep us on direction we set out in the beginning. Lots of people won't be able to contribute in conventional ways like you, me and others. But lets begin with something which is as less constricting as possible, and modifications can be done later on. There won't as such rules for vols and etc but just very broad rules about general mode of operation.
    If any new vols comes up we don't have to explain everything we can just let him browse over our by-laws and other fromal documents.

I know everything can't be changed overnight but we can atleast start thinking about it.

-Vinod

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hi Navin

Regarding the points raised by you and Vinod. I think we are slowly beginning towards 'formalisation' of the jan jagruiti work which is good and bad. The good part is that the work can become smooth with designated roles and responsibilities and the bad part is formalisation itself, which many people (including me) dont like. There has to be a flexibility in terms of involvement of people and assigning a core group on actual work and brainstorming, forming by laws etc breeds pre-conceptions about what one SHOULD do as opposed to CAN do. We need creative thinking and work and we need individuals who see no boundaries to their work. Formalisation puts boundaries to what people CAN do.

In my opinion, instead of any strict core groups/procedures/by-laws, what we need is to keep the process open in which anyone can become a core member/general/ or audience. In my own capacity, sometimes, i just like to be an audience, when i have something to contribute to the brainstorming- i post my stuff, if i think my financial or in kind contribution is required, I will do so too in my capacity and when i can actually be physically present- i'd like to do some actual work too. I dont want to be made an outsider (losing ownership of the initiative) or an insider (losing objectivity) by formation of these groups!

I could be wrong too in my strong opinions against formalisation. This is all in the constructive dialogue perspective. Would love to hear other people's views on this. Its also great to see more female participation in the thread especially Sunita, who's actually come forward and offered her involvement. We need more people like you!

Priti

[Dear All
    Regards
    Navin Gulia]
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

I commit myself to send a weekly report to every one on the activities/on ground progress and every one can send the suggestions/inputs. Starting coming Monday.
    The new members wanting to join this effort are requested to give me their email id, either here or at my id navingulia@yahoo.com.

A Few Questions

My dear Navin and all others associated with this noble cause of uplifting the needy,

I have some questions in my mind which keep on bugging me inspite of the fact that you all are so committed and want to do well and good for the people who need it and frankly in times to come,would like to involve myself also with utmost sincerety and in a selfless manner.Here are my posers....I request people to give clear suggestions and inputs if this organisation has to do something substantial in fast changing scenario on ground in the land we ought to operate:

1] As i brought out in my thread today[Tees lakh ka killa] that situation will be different on ground as the cost of land will scale peaks after peak and as our poor farmers[i suppose they only need help as regards to Education atleast] have smelt a chance of making a fast bulk through selling of their land holdings[mind you they have not seen this kinda money in centuries], will they really need our help or they will have a drink and redicule us???

2] Even when they don't have much means,specially Jats have a tendency of expecting and expecting[not giving] how will they react after being in a position to buy comforts and education.....EHSSAN LENNA AUR MAN-NA JAT KI FIDDRAT NAHIN?????

3] What i know about Jats is that they selfishly monitor any such organization without putting any efforts to assist it and are quick to condemn it in case they find a gap of even one scale or day.....BHAI HUMNNE BERRA THA, PEHLYAN_E NA KAHHON THHA AKK YE SUSSARRE APNA ULLU SUDHHA KARAN TAHIN KATTHHE HO RHE THHE. YOU SPEND WHOLE YEAR GIVING YOUR BLOOD BUT DUE TO ANY REASON DON'T MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE FOR 10 DAYS,THEY ARE SURE TO FORGET THE EFFORTS OF FULL 365 DAYS AND WILL NOT HESITATE TO CALL NAMES AND INSULT YOU. THATS FORTUNATELY/UNFORTUNATELY is the truth on ground. What we do to keep them motivated and to shed their this negative and selfish approach??????

4] How many of these villagers are ready to contribute financially and otherwise to get a service at their door step....or they just want to say...BHAI CHHORYO LAGGE RAHO...and don't offer a glass of water also when you need it most?????

5] How many of them will be available round the clock to assist the team of hardworking and educated menpower coming to help their cause from towns/cities....i suppose may be one odd/none???????

6] Is it we who will tell them that WE WANT TO DO GOOD TO YOU or They will request us to help them to come out of quigmire they are badly in??????

These are the real questions we have to ask ourselves before undertaking this tedious journey? And if we can find a satisfactory answers to these questions then i am sure something worth while is possible otherwise it will land us up embaressed and battered ultimately. My posing of these questions should never be taken as passive thoughts but a reality which needs careful consideration before undertaking a voyage into the sea of uncertainity.

Warm Regards!
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Bingo!

Hi Vinod
    Great counter and that was exactly the purpose of my previous post, that in the process, things dont become inflexible and uninspiring. Your post is precisely what should be done. Thanks for this input for me and for others to delve on.

Priti

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Priti, I don't agree with you. Aim of standardization in not to make process strictly formal so that it becomes hindrance to the actual work. Aim is to make actual work and involvement of people little more systematic while keeping it smooth. Well, I guess I don't need to list out all the adavantages which you can imagine after looking at all the major organizations. As the size gets bigger we certainly need to move out of mode of working according to personal preferences and at the same time we can keep everything very general and open which can suit maximum no. of people. Involvement of particulars can be assimilated in whole process by keeping flexible exceptions but we need basic sets of guidlines, which can be as broad as we want to begin with, to keep us on direction we set out in the beginning. Lots of people won't be able to contribute in conventional ways like you, me and others. But lets begin with something which is as less constricting as possible, and modifications can be done later on. There won't as such rules for vols and etc but just very broad rules about general mode of operation.
    If any new vols comes up we don't have to explain everything we can just let him browse over our by-laws and other fromal documents.

I know everything can't be changed overnight but we can atleast start thinking about it.

-Vinod

Priti, sorry I was little rough on last post but happy that you agree... Navin bhai, thanks for commiting for weekly reports... once we get on track we can have monthly newsletters or so whose duty can be rotated amongst us... Will get back soon on this.

-Vinod

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hi Vinod
    Great counter and that was exactly the purpose of my previous post, that in the process, things dont become inflexible and uninspiring. Your post is precisely what should be done. Thanks for this input for me and for others to delve on.

Priti

Navin

so the first step comes from the inspiration himself! ok, Navin, I commit to providing input/suggestions/any other help on this report. Also, since you are working in the field, you can outsource some other work to people here (like me). Infact, there is a database i think of jat seva group (Vinod) in which people listed the things they would like to do and can do for this work. This can come in handy for you to allocate work to people.

Regards
    Priti

Hello Mr. Dahiya

Your doubts are quite relevant and thought provoking. But these should not stop or discourage us (and you from joining in) from doing our work. Some of the points you raised-

1. The land compensation-big money- no knowledge what to do with it issue- i think presence of people working on development has the potential of improving the situation by orienting people's mind towards education, career.

2. There would be many people in the world who would ridicule the work or just benefit from it and forget about it. This should not be a point to ponder because when one is doing such work these sort of things are expected. What one should probably be ready for is counter it in a humble way to change the minds of such people and orient them towards give and take approach.

3. Jats are quick to judge....so true. This is usually due to lack of analysis and subtle perspectives. We have to introduce subtlety of thought- the ability to view a thing in its pros and cons and not outrightly rejecting or accepting it on emotional or other non-objective basis. But again this should not prevent us from doing our work. this should be taken up as a challenge to introduce these perspectives in the minds of our people.

4. & 5. Probably Navin will have better answers..

6. I dont know- maybe it'll be a combination of both- we raise some awareness and they ask for more...its always a two way process- cant be us spoon feeding them all the time and so they have to come up with a response of their own...and they will once the directions are made clear to them....one thing to be noted here is that usually all failures in india in general are blamed on the government's lack...so the philosophy of self-help is probably the best to promote. It was to be seen in the girls in talked to- they conveniently blamed everything on lack of teachers, traditions, parents, everyone but themselves (to which the teacher pointed out- how many of you actually seriously study). This is the attitude inherited from their parents, society...this definitely needs to be changed to God helps those who help themselves...

Thanks for raising these questions, it shows your interest and concern for the work. Would be great to have some thoughts from other people too!

Priti

Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    My dear Navin and all others associated with this noble cause of uplifting the needy,

I have some questions in my mind which keep on bugging me inspite of the fact that you all are so committed and want to do well and good for the people who need it and frankly in times to come,would like to involve myself also with utmost sincerety and in a selfless manner.Here are my posers....I request people to give clear suggestions and inputs if this organisation has to do something substantial in fast changing scenario on ground in the land we ought to operate:

1] As i brought out in my thread today[Tees lakh ka killa] that situation will be different on ground as the cost of land will scale peaks after peak and as our poor farmers[i suppose they only need help as regards to Education atleast] have smelt a chance of making a fast bulk through selling of their land holdings[mind you they have not seen this kinda money in centuries], will they really need our help or they will have a drink and redicule us???

2] Even when they don't have much means,specially Jats have a tendency of expecting and expecting[not giving] how will they react after being in a position to buy comforts and education.....EHSSAN LENNA AUR MAN-NA JAT KI FIDDRAT NAHIN?????

3] What i know about Jats is that they selfishly monitor any such organization without putting any efforts to assist it and are quick to condemn it in case they find a gap of even one scale or day.....BHAI HUMNNE BERRA THA, PEHLYAN_E NA KAHHON THHA AKK YE SUSSARRE APNA ULLU SUDHHA KARAN TAHIN KATTHHE HO RHE THHE. YOU SPEND WHOLE YEAR GIVING YOUR BLOOD BUT DUE TO ANY REASON DON'T MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE FOR 10 DAYS,THEY ARE SURE TO FORGET THE EFFORTS OF FULL 365 DAYS AND WILL NOT HESITATE TO CALL NAMES AND INSULT YOU. THATS FORTUNATELY/UNFORTUNATELY is the truth on ground. What we do to keep them motivated and to shed their this negative and selfish approach??????

4] How many of these villagers are ready to contribute financially and otherwise to get a service at their door step....or they just want to say...BHAI CHHORYO LAGGE RAHO...and don't offer a glass of water also when you need it most?????

5] How many of them will be available round the clock to assist the team of hardworking and educated menpower coming to help their cause from towns/cities....i suppose may be one odd/none???????

6] Is it we who will tell them that WE WANT TO DO GOOD TO YOU or They will request us to help them to come out of quigmire they are badly in??????

These are the real questions we have to ask ourselves before undertaking this tedious journey? And if we can find a satisfactory answers to these questions then i am sure something worth while is possible otherwise it will land us up embaressed and battered ultimately. My posing of these questions should never be taken as passive thoughts but a reality which needs careful consideration before undertaking a voyage into the sea of uncertainity.

Warm Regards!

Dev Sir,
    I am giving some responses to the points raised by you-
    1.If we remember from the village event, the teachers, principal and village elders had all come forward to organize the event. I always begin with a firm belief that I will get the required support and I have always got more support than needed. I am confident lot of progress will be made and that we will achieve our goal.
    2. I always say ‘Education is the solution of every problem’. All evils in the society can be eradicated by spreading education and awareness alone. This was the reason I had advocated that we choose our field of work as education and sports and most people had suggested and agreed to the same. Education will always be a need and education will always help.
    3. Irrespective of the apprehension that how people will respond, we have to go ahead and do our work. A good intention will always have good result (little or more) so we need not worry.
    Your involvement in this effort will be a boon to the cause.
    Warm Regards
    Navin Gulia

My concern right now is to plan some interesting activities to get the children in. This is the time to work out the plan as the students are busy in exams we have some time.
    How about educational, street plays (could be done on stage too). I havent worked in this. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by navingulia
    My concern right now is to plan some interesting activities to get the children in. This is the time to work out the plan as the students are busy in exams we have some time.
    How about educational, street plays (could be done on stage too). I havent worked in this. Anyone?
    Hello Navin,

Street plays will be helpul for creating awareness among students and there parent. But the atudents will be passive participants by just watching street play. I personally will recommend some play way workshops or theatre workshops that they can be the active participants.
    I am in hurry , iwill be taling in detail about this matter to u 2moro.
    Regards
    Lokesh

Jat Jagriti

Dear Naveen Ji,

It'll be amazing if i get a chance to teach kids as i believe that i could not be anyone better than a teacher and it was my childhood dream- To be a teacher, that didn't come true due to unfavourable circumstances. Apart from teaching i wish to donate an amount of Rs.5100/- please let me know how do i proceed in this regard and do i give it cash or a cheque, if a cheque then in whose name it is to be written. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Sunita

Hello Sunita,
    You impressed me.
    Regards
    Lokesh.

Hi! Sunita,
    good, we need all the enthusiasm
    As for donating, we will need a blackboard and some stationary for the classes. You could directly buy it rather than giving cash. i am going to chennai for 3 days today. When i get back we will have a 'Jagriti' gang meeting and decide the plan and requirements.
    Regards
    Navin Gulia

Hi Lokesh, see you tomorrow in chennai.

Hello

HI Lokesh,
    Thanks for the appreciation but seriously i havn't done it to impress anyone rather i always like to do secret donation and after writing this here in the thread i thought that i have publicized it and i was upset with myself and i could talk to Khushi and tell her on phone. Thanks again.

Regards,

Sunita

Quote Originally Posted by lokeshpawar
    Hello Sunita,
    You impressed me.
    Regards
    Lokesh.