Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Roots of Jats in the World

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Roots of Jats in the World

In ancient history, there were clans or tribes, who's members claimed descent from a common ancestor. This tribal name became the Gotra in Indian contest and is called a sur-name in rest of Eurasia. However, both gotra and jati in India originally are a variation of jat/goth only.

Jati means sub-jat i.e. you r jat it's ok but which Jat r u? whether Tomar, Dahiya, Dalal, .. etc. Here among Jats all jatis (clans) used 2 b equal like modern jat goths/gotras, where no one claims superiority over others unlike Rajputs. Every jat is proud of his jati i.e. clan but at the same time treats other clan of jats also with equal dignity. So proud of their clan jats are that they never changed their clan for thousands of years inspite of variations in languages, places, religions, their deadly friendly and deadly enemical alliances, their social, economic n political status etc. This word jati was later misused and mis-enterpreted by later pauranic people for their benefit as were vedas varna vyavastha were misused by them. There is Hyme in Rigveda "I'm poet, My father is physician, my mother grinds corn...etc"

Similar is with Goth n gotra is sanskritised form of Goth. It again means U r Goth/Got (means Jat) is o.k. but which Got r u? whether Bisla, Brar, Sandhu,..? this sub-got was called gotra. I've seen jats speaking many languages but all used the word got and not gotra for their clan name. These two names Jat and Got are found with little variations all over world in general and Eurasia in particular.

Many times in history a single tribe became so powerful that it gave its name to many land, areas, cities, towns, rivers, mountains, countries, oceans, seas and also to other tribes. When a particular tribe was in supremacy, all the population under its control, was called after the supreme tribe and such cohesion of people of different tribes, has been aptly called "Confedracy of Tribes". These tribal confedracy has given their names to various "castes" in India. For example when Gurj tribe was in power in 10th century AD in north India gave its name to cities like Gujrat/Gujranwala in Pakistan, areas like Gujrat state in India, and finally became a seperate caste- Gujar/Gujjar/Gurjar in India. Similar is the position of Tur/Turk, Mukhal/Mughal, Arya etc.

Login to view details.

Present Day Jat population of south asia

Now all these tribes of European n Asian mainland, are roiginally tribes of Jats appear to be the most ancient confedracy of tribes as it is, not only most prominently mentioned in the Rigveda, but it has left its mark on many areas of Eurasia. And all these tribes are still represented in the present Jat population in South Asia.

Login to view details.

Meaning of Jat and it's clans

The word, Jata, perhaps originally one tribe, means "king/leader". Similar is meaning of all the clans of Jats. Other meanings are "The Sun, The Moon, The Fire, The Thunder, Top, High, Commander, Brave, Mighty.....etc." Many people under ignorance or otherwise gave, the wrong meaning of Jata, as born"

Login to view details.

Jats in Vedas

When Rigveda talks of five Jats/Jatas, they are taken as five people or tribes of people, and the word is taken as synonymous of Jana (people).

But the difficulty arises when Jata, Jana, Janyam are found together in the same line. For example, Rigveda 532/11 says: "Eknnutva satpati punchjanya jat, shrinomiyashans janeshu". Here Indra is called True Lord (Satpati) or Five People (Panchjanya), Whose praise is heard among the people and masses (Janeshu) But he is also called Jat here; and hence normally given meaning is an applicable here. Henec Indra is Jat/Jata (king) or five people.

Again Rigveda 10/53/5 says :"Panch janah mumhotram jashuntam go-jata"
    Here also, the five people are called "Go-jata i.e. kings of earth".

Rigveda 2/40/1 called Soma and Pusan, as Kings of Earth, protectors of the land ("Jatau Vishvasya Bhuvnasya Gopau"). Many times Indra is called "Jatau-Jatan" i.e. King of Kings. He is also called "Adhi-Jat" which rendered as supreme king even by swami Dayananda who does not find any history in Rigveda (see his commentry on rigveda 10/10/4; 10/153/2). Agni is called ("Itah Jat vishvam") i.e. King of all in Rigveda 1/98/1. There are many references to which means "Indra, the Jat is worshipped"

Login to view details.

Jats were superior people among the aryans as per Atharv Veda

Now Jat is also modified as Sa-Jat and Su-Jat in rigveda. Here Sa-Jat means "with fellow Jats" and Su-Jat means "Noble Jat". When Indra is elected as Adhi-Jat and Jatau-Jatan, the fellow Jats (Kings) are expected to call on him with gifts and this recorded in Atharv Veda (3/4/3) "Achchhatva yantu havinah Sah-jat" means "may the fellow Jats come calling into thee"

Atharv veda 1/9/3 further says about Indra that "let him sit in superiority over his fellow Jats". R.N.Dandekar has opined that these (Jats here) were members of aristocracy who alone were rntitled to elect king, and be elected as King.

Login to view details.

Comaprison of European Sur-names with present Indian Jats

European Name - Indian Jat Name

(de) Gaule - Gaul(an)
    (de) Benville - Beniwal
    Ander(son) - Andar/Ainder
    Aurer - Aurer/Orar
    Ahlwardt - Ahlawat
    Dabs - Dabas
    Dahl - Dahal
    Brahm - Brahm(an)
    Alan - Aulan
    Baines/Baynes - Bains
    Bissel - Bisla
    Bal - Bal
    Burr - Bura
    Cath/Gatti - Katt(Gath)wal
    Cook/Kuk - Kuk(ar)
    Dam/Dammen - Dama/Dhaman
    Danak/Donker - Dhankhar (Dhankar of Rigveda)
    Dillon - Dhillon
    Dorival - Dhariwal
    Daullet - Dulat
    Eng/Ang/Engal - Anga(l)
    Varing/Bring - Bring
    Prod - Paroda
    Galt/Kelt/Celt - Galat
    George - Jarj
    Gill - Gill
    Gode - Godha/Godara
    Got/Gott/Gaut/Goth - Gat/Cut
    Hall - Hala
    Ola - Ola
    Hood - Hooda
    Jun/Junas - Jun/Joon
    Kahl _ Kahl(on)/Kallan
    Killick - Kalkil/Kilkal
    Klar - Kalar
    Korb - Kharab
    Lamb/Lambe - Lamba
    Latmar - Lathmar
    Latter - Lather
    Laur - Lohar/Lohvar (founded lahore)
    Legg - Legh
    Luther - Luther
    More/Moor - Mor/Maur(ya) of Asoka's fame
    Mack - Machher
    Madden - Madan
    Mader - Maderna
    Mander - Manda/Mander
    Mann - Mann
    Mayer/Meir - Mayer
    Nash - Nassar (sanskrit- Naisya)
    Neubauer - Nauber/Nohwar
    Noel - Nal
    Noon - Nun
    Nutt - Nat
    Orr - Orrer/Aurer
    Piggott - Phogat
    Parrott - Paroda
    Reid/Read - Riad/Riar
    Rose - Roj/Raj
    Dodd - Dodd(wal) of Maoo village of Baghpat in UP
    Dood - Dudi
    Todd - Tudi
    Sapir - Sapra
    Sandu - Sandhu/Sindhu
    Schhiller/Chhiller - Chhiller
    Seymour/Seamer - Simar
    Shore - Shor/Shoran/Sheoran
    Tatran - Tatran
    Thacker - Thakkar/Thakran
    Teut(on) - Teotia/Tewatia
    Torr - Tur (The Turanians)

This list can be similarly multiplied to any length. This 100% commonality of tribal names presupposes common origins and this can not be later than 1000 BC.

Login to view details.

the present day sikh jats

According to J.F. Hewitt, the word 'Gut' means bull. The Persian-English Dictionary defines Gut/Guta, 'as great' or grand. The Indian works define Jat as meaning 'King'. Panini defines it as signifying a Samgha or union/federation. Jit/Jata in Hindi n Gutt in Punjabi are even today used by the jats, as signifying long hair and beards, like the present Sikh Jats. It is not for nothing that Deva Samhita calls the Jats as the first rulers of earth, whose heroic exploits and glorious history, was deliberately kept concealed. Tall and tough, the Jats have a near physical homogeneity among themselves"
    With their innate antagonism to oppression,the jats have the principles of freedom and equality, the open country air and movements, in their very blood. Thier toughness of body is symbolised in the proverb that says that;''Consider a jat to be dead only when the thirteenth-day rites are over.''

Login to view details.

Jats n Indian states

the Sindh(Sindhu/sandhu/Sidhu) tribe gave its own name to Sindh river/Sindh State/Sindh/hind ocean, and ultimately to whole of India-Sindhu sthan or Hindu-sthan. There was a kang-nadu and Bana-nadu in south India-names after Kang(Sanskrit Kanka) and Bana tribes. there was singhal dweepa in Indua-Delta and also present Sri Lanka (Simhal Dweepa). kERAL is named after Kera/Khera tribe, now a days called kher, which becomes khera in maharashtra, just as Mor becomes More, Khar becomes Khare, Antal becomes Antule, due to typical marathi suffix. Orissa/Orda-isha, is named after odra tribe, oder in Europe and odran in India. Ancient Bihar was Anga and ancient Bengal was Vanga/Banga-named after Angal (the english angel/angle people) and Bang/Bangal tribes respectively. Saurastra is named after Surath(sorath) tribe, and Haryana is named after Hari tribe-mentioned in Rigveda as Hari/Harian (Hary potter) and the country is called Haryanka (Ajatsatru n Bimbisara were from this dynasty). Kashmir is named after Kashyap tribe(which gave its name to Caspian Sea also) and Andhra is named after Aindhra(/andre/andar) tribe of rigveda fame whose fellow tribes men are called Ander(son) in Europe.

Login to view details.

List of Jat Clans and their Identification in World History

West Asian/Iranian- Greek- Chinese-Central Asian- Old Indian- Present Jat

Abar - Abar/avar- ..... - Avar - Abhira? - Abara in Pak
    .... - ........ - ..... - Allan - Aila?Ailavat- Ailavat
    Andar - Andar
    ...... - Antai - ..... - Anta -...... - Antal
    Airya - Ariani/Ari - .... -...... - Arya - Arya
    Ashkenaz - Asiani - ......- Asi-Asika/Risika-Asiag/Sihag/Suhag
    ...... .... .... .... Attri - Attri
    ...... Uruk? ... Uluk - Aulakh

will cntinue: source BS Dahiya, "Jats, the Ancient Rulers"

Thanks for such a nice information dear. You have really taken pains. Greatful to you. Keep it up !
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Login to view details.

Jat calender

western calender is bit misrepresented/misunderstood indian calender
    no need to start a year from january. it all starts from march or nearby like indian saka n vikram calender both started by jat rulers kanishka n vikramaditya.

even modern cristien calender is same as these are.

start from march which means MARCH means begins. n from march (1)count: April(2); May(3); June(4); July(5); August(6); September means septa means 7, saat in hindi; october means octa means 8, aath in hindi, utth in punjabi; november means 9, nau in hindi and naun in punjabi; december means deci(mal), deca(gram) means 10, dus in hindi n daa in punjabi; january 11 and february the last and 12th.

the february was the last n 12th month can be said by all common sense because its here we adjust the remaining odd days after 4 years i.e. leap year. usually n e common sense person will adjust the remaining undivisible figure in the last only n not in the beginning or 2nd month.

n had it begun with january then its absurd 2 count 7-10 i.e. (sept to december) from it; which is rather 9-12, total absurd as it is 2day. it makes sense only when this calender begins with march as said earlier.

my opinion is same not only with numerals but english n all european alphabets also seem 2 be derived from the indian ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sktewatia
    western calender is bit misrepresented/misunderstood indian calender
    no need to start a year from january. it all starts from march or nearby like indian saka n vikram calender both started by jat rulers kanishka n vikramaditya.

even modern cristien calender is same as these are.

start from march which means MARCH means begins. n from march (1)count: April(2); May(3); June(4); July(5); August(6); September means septa means 7, saat in hindi; october means octa means 8, aath in hindi, utth in punjabi; november means 9, nau in hindi and naun in punjabi; december means deci(mal), deca(gram) means 10, dus in hindi n daa in punjabi; january 11 and february the last and 12th.

the february was the last n 12th month can be said by all common sense because its here we adjust the remaining odd days after 4 years i.e. leap year. usually n e common sense person will adjust the remaining undivisible figure in the last only n not in the beginning or 2nd month.

n had it begun with january then its absurd 2 count 7-10 i.e. (sept to december) from it; which is rather 9-12, total absurd as it is 2day. it makes sense only when this calender begins with march as said earlier.

my opinion is same not only with numerals but english n all european alphabets also seem 2 be derived from the indian ones.
    Sepetember onward to samajh me aa gaya Tewatia Sahab. lekin;

2nd month was called April and not Duember ?
    3rd Month was called May and not Trember ?
    4th month was called May, and not Chathurhember ?
    .....etc..

RK^2

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar
    Sepetember onward to samajh me aa gaya Tewatia Sahab. lekin;

2nd month was called April and not Duember ?
    3rd Month was called May and not Trember ?
    4th month was called May, and not Chathurhember ?
    .....etc..

RK^2
    arr ye bhee nahi samajh me aaya ke kuch naam hindi me q hai and kuch English me q hai...like (March)....

mujhe toh sirf september se december tak samajh me aaya baki kuch nahi aaya.....

Login to view details.

n e way personally heatedly happy 2 c u after so many days, rkji

ye hi to jat itihaas ki kahani hai. koi kitna nasht kar lega. apradhi koi kitna bhi chatur ho lekin koi na koi proof to chhod hi jata hai.

"their fortunes rose so quickly n so high within such a short period" said one historian about the jat rebellion in braj. "then 2 understand the present day jats v must go back far deep into their history"

n hence jat itihaas began frm surajmal n smtimes earlier.

Login to view details.

rkji

heatedly means heartiestly. really missed u!

Login to view details.

arun kumar shamli ji

aap ko arun to samajh aya ho ga, lekin apne goth/got/gotra samajh aaye? apne aas pass ke gaon samajh aaye? Elam, Batana, Bagha, Kharkhoda, Susana,.... .

apne saare goton ka hindi/sanskrit me anuvaad kar ke dikhao?

me aap ko guru man lunga yadi aap khali in goton ka hindi anuvaad kar ke dikha do jo bees/baice maine upper likhe hain.

ola ke baarish me ola pade the?

mor (maurya asoka) ke mor paale the?

hood (robin hood) ke hood ne udao tha?

u can ask hooda n ola. they can answere first name, not however, so easily, the last one!!!

if at all they do so I can answere better then them.

Jat was a universal ruler. why r u limiting their area?

just india?

where is indus? whr is sandhu/sindhu? the name givers 2 this country n indian ocean?

However, nothing personal against u but my brother please wake up. u've 2 rule the world n not india alone!

Quote Originally Posted by sktewatia
    aap ko arun to samajh aya ho ga, lekin apne goth/got/gotra samajh aaye? apne aas pass ke gaon samajh aaye? Elam, Batana, Bagha, Kharkhoda, Susana,.... .

apne saare goton ka hindi/sanskrit me anuvaad kar ke dikhao?

me aap ko guru man lunga yadi aap khali in goton ka hindi anuvaad kar ke dikha do jo bees/baice maine upper likhe hain.

Jat was a universal ruler. why r u limiting their area?

just india?

where is indus? whr is sandhu/sindhu? the name givers 2 this country n indian ocean?

However, nothing personal against u but my brother please wake up. u've 2 rule the world n not india alone!

Tewatia ji Namskar,

1. Mujhe aapki english bilkul samajh me nahi aati hai...the kind of language you use is used by aajkal ke teenagers. Since you are a scientist and a historian, this language is not expected from you

"you" and "u" are not same, "r" and "are" are not same...."n" and "and" are not the same...."2" and "to" are different....I hope you got the point.

I do not read many of your messages, just because I hate these shortcuts...
    waise toh aapki puri theory hee similer sounding words pe based hai, but I still request you not to use these shortcuts...aage aapki marji bade bhai/uncle.

2. aapki knowledge and hard work dekhkar mujhe nahi lagta hai mai aapke sath debate kar sakta hoon. you are researching the history and publishing it in a public forum. everyone read them. padhne ke bad kuch doubts bhee aate hain ...I asked a simple question...... aapke pas jawab nahi hai toh koi bat nahi.....But I DO NOT WANT A DEBATE.

3. as far as the name of the places is concerned, you must understand that not every vilage/city/town name have a meaning. and it is a well known fact ki hamare yahan 1000+ years tak muslim and 200+ years tak british the. so I would not be surprized if we see some non Hindi or non Sanskrit name.

Mere gaon ka nam Bhaneda hai...mujhe toh iska meaning bhee nahi pata hai....Shayad aapko pata hoga...

4. Hindi is hardly a few hundred year old language and all these names you are asking existed before Hindi.

It is good to see your post Arun
    What Tewatia ji wants to points out is the wast geographical spread of this race known as jats,juts.gut etc.
    I was hoping critical questions from you why we think they lived Indus valley,Turkmenistan,Scandinavia etc .
    I expected you will pose questions and try to explain why you think we are wrong ?
    Since you say you don't believe we expected why you don't?
    You neither seems to assosiate jats with indus valley neither to some other place in nutshell jats with no history.Do you believe they were thrown on earth one fine morning?

Your critical questions will be highly helpful in any discussion,plz always ask your querries and proofs four our assumptions i hope this time you will respond.

PS:On a lighter note there is no harm in using your gotr these samli etc. looks good for politicians,anyway it is your personal choice don't mind my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by narenderkharb
    It is good to see your post Arun
    What Tewatia ji wants to points out is the wast geographical spread of this race known as jats,juts.gut etc.
    I was hoping critical questions from you why we think they lived Indus valley,Turkmenistan,Scandinavia etc .
    I expected you will pose questions and try to explain why you think we are wrong ?
    Since you say you don't believe we expected why you don't?
    You neither seems to assosiate jats with indus valley neither to some other place in nutshell jats with no history.Do you believe they were thrown on earth one fine morning?

Your critical questions will be highly helpful in any discussion,plz always ask your querries and proofs four our assumptions i hope this time you will respond.

PS:On a lighter note there is no harm in using your gotr these samli etc. looks good for politicians,anyway it is your personal choice don't mind my advice.

Narander bhai,

Shamli is not my gotra, it is the name of a town. When I creatd my first email id in 1998-99, It did not let me create any id with my name and then someone suggested me to use the name of my home town. and it worked. people liked it very much. and now most of my ids are arunshamli or aurn_shamli. But let it not confuse anyone. It is just the id which is different form the name. My gotra is Baliyan( Mahendra Singh Tikait ka naam to suna hoga)

Waise ho sakta hai isko lagane se politics me entry mil jaye

Now coming to the point:
    I do not have much information about he indus valley, so I may not be able to comment on that.

I read your post seriously and you are doing a wonderfull job. I have never said you are wrong, infact you make a lot of sense in many of your posts. I just do not agree with some of the facts made in history section. I do not like the hatred against other castes( Brahamn and Rajput), which can be clearly seen in many posts in history section. But thats a different issue not related to this post.

Tewatia Calendar:

I found the information posted by Mr. Tewatia quite interesting and I wanted to believe in it, that is why I asked the question. I wanted to follow the logic he had given about the calendar.

And my question was that Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec are fine. What about the rest of the month?

Ye toh bhai ek seedha sachcha sa question tha...isme koi agree disagree hone wali bat nahi hai....

Login to view details.

Arun Kumar Baliyan ji,

Two tribes of jats were attacking roman empire one was Bal-giri n second one was Heng-giri. These two tribes had given their names to the modern countries of Bulgaria and Hungry. the modern henga (near agra, the hingnu's n kingnu's of chinese, the modern henga n kang jats) n balyan (muzoffer ngr) jats. plz read bure-bista also. jats were loyal 2 their clans first. land came later.