Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The treasure of ‘desi’ words

The treasure of ‘desi’ words

The treasure of ‘desi’ words

Dear colleagues,

Vide my post named “Haryanvi words ka khazaana” of 26 January 2006 under Dev Dahiya’s thread “Chhola tau.” in Humor Forum, I had underlined the importance of adding new words in the Haryanavi Dictionary, which used to have just 323 words (which I counted after taking a print-out) on that date. There is a “Rajasthani Language” dictionary too available on Jatland.com which, as on today, contains 189 words. Members knowing this language may put some effort to expand it a little bit.

I am sure Haryanavi language (which is still considered to be a ‘dialect’) contains much more rich vocabulary than listed in the dictionary which was rarely updated after its launch several years ago. Since now there is a provision that members themselves can edit or add new words by using ‘Wiki’, in my opinion we should make sincere efforts to update it. One member (Mr. Devender Dangi) had made effort in November 2005 and added some new words.

During the course of last couple of weeks, I have been able to compile a list of 158 odd pure desi words and have added them in the dictionary, along with translation. This 1st phase has been completed yesterday, 9 February 2006. For ready reference, I am attaching the list of new words in MS-Word format – see attachment. After this task, as on today, the Haryanavi Dictionary contains a total of 481 odd words.

All of us should realize that with changing times, switching over the medium of school education from Hindi to English and for some of us being away from the motherland, the new generation is losing the grip on the mother-tongue and in some cases, a certain percentage of them have actually started hating the tongue itself, terming it a rude and rough dialect or ‘gawaaron ki jubaan’. To some extent, I had explained this factor in my post Facts about Jats/ Jat Society of 2nd January 2006

There is a Punjabi factor too. I had put one post called “A mix of good and bad elements” in the thread” Are Punjabis Liars? Which could explain this Punjabi factor to some extent.

Having myself studied Punjabi in school and seeing the friction between Punjabis and all of us, I can definitely say that no other language is as rude or rough as Punjabi. But we have to compliment our Sikh brothers who have, with their sincere efforts, made Punjabi a respectful language. Gurmukhi script started in 17th century only, at the time of Guru Gobind Singh – prior to that, only Devanagri script was in use. Guru Granth Sahib, in its original form, is stated to be written in Devanagri only. There is no reason for us to start hating our own mother tongue which is not as rude or rough as others say.

Moreover with the use of new technologies, modern agricultural instruments are common now and desi words related to bullock carts, traditional hand-tools, housing patterns, livestocks etc. are being forgotton by the new generation. In Haryanavi, there are dozens of words about buffalo only and many more relating to bullock-cart, mud houses, traditional kitchen and cooking methods and so on. Hence, preservation of words, both in written and spoken form, is a must.

All of you would appreciate that compilation of pure desi words, translating them accurately and putting them one-by-one while sitting on-line, is a time-consuming and laborious task. Interested members may please take a print-out of the document (and those of the entire dictionary pages) and mistakes in translation etc., if noticed, may please be pointed out.

I am starting compiling more words from various posts in different forums and intend to present one more such list in about 2 months’ time. Those who are unable to edit on-line, may suggest the words to me to be added to the new list. Only those words should be brought to the attention which are purely of desi origin, are not part of our dictionary now and are not used in written form in Hindi language. Hindi itself contains thousands of desi words but since these have become common now, there is no need to overburden the Jatland dictionary with those words.

Many thanks for your attention.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dndeswal; February 10th, 2006 at 07:45 PM.

Truly Exceptional Effort...

Deswal Sahab,

Take a bow. A truly wonderful effort. Thanks a ton.

One becomes nostalgic while reading most of these words and their meanings. I am sure this would help members to become more knowledgeable about our culture.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

JS Malik
    JAT BALWAN, JAI BHAGWAN

(Ein Volk - Ein Reich - Ein Fuhrer)

Great goings...Keep it up!
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

It is an ocean !

Quote Originally Posted by jagmohan
    Deswal Sahab,

Take a bow. A truly wonderful effort. Thanks a ton.

One becomes nostalgic while reading most of these words and their meanings. I am sure this would help members to become more knowledgeable about our culture.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

JS Malik
    Thanks Col. Malik, for your encouragement.

It is an Ocean !

After just three days of my posting my last message when I started my search for new words, I am astonished that this ‘dialect’ Haryanavi is not a small lake but rather a vast ocean so far as vocabulary is concerned. I had started this project as a hobby and I had imagined that this would finish in just two attempts. But now, suddenly, I feel that my feet are in deep water - “Yoh tey bhiraddyain ke chhattey mein haath de diya” !!

My earlier list contained just 158 words but the second one which is under compilation, is touching 250 pure desi words – surprising ! Half of these words were told by my wife alone. Others were picked up from this site alone, by reading some threads of Dev Dahiya and those of some other members. Over the weekend, when I was writing the words on a piece of paper, my wife half-jocularly uttered to me: “Aap tey baawley-ey hogye, ye aradde-bhuradde lafaz bi kade likhhey jaawein sein?” I told her that by uttering so, she had given a new word : Aradde-Bhuraadde !

I have been able to short-list these 250-odd words in a matter of 3 days. I am writing below some of these magic words (not all translated – which I will do later) :

Aasang / Albheda (twist) / Anghai / Beerbaani / Bera-Bichaar / Chhabbaak (jump) / Chakoota / Daantrey / Eind-beind (vain talks) / Fardde / Gaddang (again - vain talks) / Gitvaadd / Ghasiyari / Hukti / Hammamdasta / Jhirnee-Dankaa / Kaatkadd / Khapparbharnna / Khidhwaa / Khadtaall / Lhafoosdde / Mandassa / Mugdar / Nakkchutti / Otedda / Pazaava / Qor / Rookka / Saamakh / Sattarka/ Samdhetta / Taawlla / Toom-Thegree / Tipoulla / Udhmass / Yaava/ Zeemanvaar
    (Since these have been written in Roman script, some of these may not be understood in this form but after being translated, such words leave a magical effect)

Any harm if Hindi language picks up some of these unique words in the written form? Times are changing but we need not be disheartened. Haryanavi music and films are now in the market which was not the case earlier. The raagnis of Lakhmichand contain a rich vocabulary but words of such great poets were not kept in written form and remain unpatented till now. Some Hindi newspapers like Jagran, Bhaskar etc. have actually started using some of the Haryanavi words like ‘Bitodda’, ‘Fahddaa’, ‘Kurddi’, Theppaddi etc. which was not the case earlier. English papers still use words like ‘cowdung cake’ etc.

Astonishingly, our so-called ‘illiterate’ forefathers have transferred the words and the language itself in a most natural manner – in spoken form. Vedas have been preserved till today not just by being kept in a library but by transferring the words from one generation to the other. The “word” means ‘Akshar’ i.e. which does not die.

Then why is the need to preserve the word in a written form? Our language is a form of ‘Prakrit’ (which is gift of ‘Prakriti’ – nature) language which is actually older than Sanskrit. Ancient books and novels, even those written by Kalidasa, contain Prakrit input in them. In Kalidasa’s plays, a vidooshak (“joker”) always speaks Prakrit but the hero speaks Sanskrit. When ‘Prakrit’ was patented in written form by way of strict grammar rules, it became ‘Sanskrit’ i.e. a sanskritised or patented language (‘jiska sanskaar ho gaya ho’). In today’s computerized world, we are scattered all around and preservation of our rich heritage in written form is a must – even though it is in Roman alphabets.

I hope to complete the translation of this second list of desi words shortly, much before the stipulated time-limit of 2 months. It now occurs to me that 2-3 more lists of similar lengths will have to be prepared as our language is a big ocean. Then, our dictionary will contain well over 1000 precious words.

Dev Dahiya has presented a thread titled Jab Jannu Jab Inke Matlab Batao ? which I read just two days back. It contains so many valuable desi words. When I asked him “Do I have your permission to include these in the dictionary”, he writes:

“…. neki arr poochh-2.......please go ahead and do what pleases you....Aur bhi ghanne shabdd likh dyaange aapki dictionary khattir...aap inn-ne sarya ne uss kitab mei likh dyo arr bhatt kessi poththi bannan dyo. All yours please.”

If such response is received, what else is needed?

Last edited by dndeswal; February 14th, 2006 at 12:42 AM.

special place on this site for dictionary for easy referance

Dear Jats,
    I belive there should be a special link for dictionary
    so that pple can refer to the dictionary easily as and when required
    ZATS...
    Jatain Arun

Deepak Sejwal
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dhanayawad Bhai

Quote Originally Posted by sejwaldeepak

eb deekhya sai manne to...... chhookha kaam kar rakhya sai
    theek katya roog, badhiya kaam kara....
    ZATS
    Jatain Arun

Hopefully, another lot of 260 words will be added by tomorrow, if there is no technical difficulty on account of browser. I shall post the added list in this thread thereafter.

Thumbs up aan do

Quote Originally Posted by dndeswal
    Hopefully, another lot of 260 words will be added by tomorrow, if there is no technical difficulty on account of browser. I shall post the added list in this thread thereafter.
    deswal sir,,, aan do waiting.......
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Haryanavi Dictionary Expansion – Part-II

Haryanavi Dictionary Expansion – Part-II

Dear colleagues,

In my first post of 10 February under this Thread, I had mentioned that I would be able to present another list of ‘desi’ words in about 2 month’s time. With God’s grace, interest shown by some of our members, and my own efforts to complete the second phase as soon as possible, I have been able to compile another document titled “Dictionary Part-II”, containing 260 precious words of Haryanavi language, in just about 15 day’s time. This document is attached below in MS-Word format. Those interested may save it or take a print-out.

This document has already been inserted by me into the relevant page on our site and complete, updated version of ‘Haryanavi Dictionary’ is available on the following link:

http://www.jatland.com/home/Haryanavi_Language

The ‘Haryanavi Language Dictionary’ contained 481 words on 10 February 2006 (after I had added 158 words from my first list). Today, after addition of these 260 additional words, it contains a total of 741words. I am starting compiling the next phase, and if a similar number of desi words are found to be appropriate, our dictionary would then cross the 1000 mark.

Since English (or the Roman alphabets) has become the language of computers in India, unfortunately, we have the compulsion of compiling these ‘desi’ words in Roman alphabets rather than Devanagri. But it is said that something is better than nothing.

Every language or dialect has its own history of evolution. Our Haryanavi language (and others too) is undergoing a testing time now-a-days on account of proliferation of English and mushrooming of ‘public’ schools. Not only we, even the British scholars are blaming the American-style English (de facto language of computer) which is spoiling ‘English’ English. See the sample of short forms of words which is worrying those ‘English’ goras : cheque (now written as ‘check’), through (‘thru’) crossing (‘x-ing’), mother (‘mom’), father (‘dad’) sister (‘sis’) , and rather than writing “hellow everybody” it is 'Hi all". During long chat sessions on the Internet, the young generation has starting using words like ‘bcoz’ (because), ‘tks’ (thanks), ‘asap’ (as soon as possible) ‘plz’ (please) ‘cum’ (instead of ‘come’) etc. Similarly, "i wanna a" ! These abbreviations are appearing in essays, articles etc. and the scholars compiling Oxford dictionary are finding themselves in a peculiar situation on account of such short-cut names which are becoming a nuisance. Their fear is that the erstwhile royal English language may soon go to dogs. Indian word ‘chaddhi’ has been added in Oxford dictionary. I shall later try to attempt a short article on the history of evolution of some major languages of the world.

In India too, meanings of words are undergoing a slow change. For example, ‘guru’ is a respectable word but in places like Mumbai (courtesy Bollywood films) it could mean “Head of a criminal gang”. I would like to draw your attention to the word ‘Tau’. For some modern youth, it could mean any half-literate youngman wearing a desi turban and speaking in local language, - quite contrary to its real meaning. See the definition of ‘Tau’ which existed in our own dictionary till yesterday:

Tau : An elderly man, with lot of time on hand, often found traveling in haryana roadways, asking directions for Rohtak, Jind or Hissar.”

My God ! Does anyone of you agree with the above definition? I have amended it now as under (see dictionary page):

Tau : Derived from Sanskrit word ‘Taat’. ‘Tau’ simply does not mean ‘uncle’. It is perhaps the most respectable relationship in the Jat society. ‘Tau’ should mean “The elder brother of one’s father or any aged/ elderly, respectable person of similar age”.

If anyone of you has objection to this explanation of the word ‘Tau’ and has a better suggestion, grateful please let me know so that necessary changes could be made.

Accent or pronunciation: Our Jatland languages (dialects) are quite similar. Though different regions have their own style of accent, we feel no difficulty in understanding. People from Haryana and Rajasthan find it easy to converse with those from Western UP where the accent differs slightly. ‘Konya’ and ‘Koni’ are similar. Our elders used to say : Kos-Kos pey vaani badley, dangh-dangh pey paani” [i.e. after a distance of every kos (about 2 kilometers) “Vanni” or “boli” undergoes a change. Similarly, the taste of underground water differs just after one ‘dangh’ or step]. In the current dictionary, which is in Roman alphabets, some readers, especially those who have no rural background or those born and brought up abroad, may find it difficult to pronunciate some words but they can seek help from others – it depends how much interest one shows in this.

I am myself a new member. One new member, Arun Jatain (who has gained the membership just 3-4 days ago) seems quite enthusiastic on this issue. He has just started a thread in this forum, entitled “Poll : Haryanavi Dictionary” and the question of poll is: haryanvi dictionary ko strategic location milni chahiye jatland.com par”. It is upto the Administrators to decide about this. I am not a technical person to suggest what is meant by “strategic location”. Perhaps it could mean that it should be accessed through the Home Page, rather than going through a circuitous route. But the enthusiasm of Arun Jartain is praiseworthy.

In the end, I am grateful for Nitin for his cooperation and guidance so far as on-line editing and technical details of page’s editing capacity etc. are concerned. If the dictionary page becomes too voluminous, we would request him to split the page in two parts so that more material could be inserted in future.

Many thanks, again, for your cooperation and attention.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dndeswal; February 26th, 2006 at 02:11 PM.

applause 4 deswal sir

deswal sir its very gd work done by u nd ur team of some jatladers........

thanks
    Rozz Suraj Ki Tarah Ugg Kar Doobna Nai Chaahtaa..!!
    JAI KILKII TAULL!!!!!!!!

Thanks Deswalji for your wonderful contribution to the Haryanavi dictionary. I have done sections in the Haryanavy dictionary as desired by you from Nitin.
    It is difficult to write a local language in Roman. I have done Some changes by writing in Hindi as well. That will make the words more clear. I did some experiment with hindi softwarw and it was successful. you will like it. It will take sometime to complete it.
    Laxman Burdak

Please look into it ....

Dear Members,

I was editing the dictionary for the hindi adition for the pending ones but that time what is feel is that this should not be directly exposed to everyone for editing and by this way anyone can edit the dictionary.

Instead what i feel is that:

1) We should keep a sticky thread where every member can add their own new haryanvi words by looking into the existing ones.
    2) Any one-two of the member should have the editing control over it.

I NOMINATE MR. DAYANAND DESHWAL'S NAME FOR THE SAME ...AS HE IS DOING A GREAT AND WISE JOB IN THIS REGARD.

So I request moderators and members to have an attention on this so that we can have some really rich dictionary, that will be an asset. Please do the needful.

Same thing i am adding into the other related thread ...treasures of desi words...

Will be adding some more new words for the next version of it soon....

Adding Hindi version of desi words

Dear colleagues,

Exactly, one month ago, I had written my message on this thread (see above) which was posted after adding the second lot of desi words in Haryanavi Dictionary. After that, I had in mind - writing desi words in Roman script does not have the desired effect as one finds difficulty in correct pronunciation. After consulting Shri Laxman Burdak, I started compiling the list of existing words in Hindi. I am thankful to Laxman Burdak ji for technical guidance in this matter. It is pertinent to note that Burdak ji has also completed the task of adding Hindi versions in Rajasthani Dictionary.

One member Shri Satyavrat Singh Bhalothia (from Rajasthan) did show interest in adding some words in Hindi (in Haryanavi Dictionary) and I must thank him for his efforts. Our colleague Jitender Hooda has not only helped in digging out ‘lupt’ words and suggesting many precious words, he has also learnt the technique of formating Hindi words and adding them in browser too (see his post above). Such a cooperation from colleagues is commendable – language is our common heritage and even in this age of globalisation when English is on the path of eliminating ancient languages (some such dialects have already vanished in Western Hemisphere and in Africa), we must not allow it to happen on our land.

Since I remained busy with updating the dictionary with Hindi versions, I could not complete the task of adding new words. But the list is ready. After proper translation and adding Hindi version to it, I am expected to insert this list in dictionary in another couple of weeks.

For watching dictionary page, click here : Haryanavi Language

Those who are unable to read Hindi on this page and on dictionary page, please read my thread Tips for use of Hindi on your computer in “Tech Talk Forum”.

And, for ready reference, given below is the complete list of words (in Hindi) available on the Dictionary page as of today.

Again, many thanks for your attention.

एड्डी / आँक्कल /आड / आखटा /आख / आळा / आळ / आंधासीसी / / आंगळी / आंख दूखणी / आंखळी / आंटणा / आर्णा / आर्ता / आसंग / आवा / आवटी / आड्डा / अक्खर / अळबाद / अळगोजा / अळभेडा / अमृतबाण / अमरीका / आंडी/ अंगाकड़ा / अंगार /अंघाई / अंग्रेज / अफलातून / अर्ड़ाटा / औड़ / बाही/ बाखड़ी / बाँकळी / बाँट / बारा / बारिया / बारणा / बारौठी / बासण / बात्ती / बछिया / बाछड़ा / बचूरे / बड्डा–बूढा / बड़भाती / बगड़ / बग्गी (बुग्गी) / बधाण / बहड़का / बक्कल / बखोरा / बळध /बुळहद / बळधाँ की सूँ / बलियाण / बंचाटी / बसौला / बरफ / बरबंटी / बरौला / बरौली / बटेऊ / बथुआ / बीजणा / बीरबानी / बेल्ला / बेरा–बिचार / भादरगढ / भड़भूजा / भाँखड़ी / भक्कड़ / भाण/ बेबे / जीजी / भरौटा / भरौटी / भरतार / भीचना / भेढ्या / भेल्ली/ भौहरा / भूभळिया / भूगड़ा / भूंड / भूंडा / भूंडी / भूरी / भौरा भुरंठ / भुर्ळी / भुस / बिचाळा / बिच्छा / बिचला / बिचौलिया / बिचूर्णा / बिघन / बिजार / बिलंगणी / बिलांध / बिलोणी / बिलोवणी / बिलूटणे / बिरचणा / बिटौड़ा / बित्ती–डंका / बोद्दा /बोझड़ा / भोजड़ा / बूकल मारणा / बूंगा / बूरा / बोर्ळा / बोड़ा / बौड़ा / बोतड़ू / बौरिया / बुढंगड़ / बुड़का / बुड़कला / बुग्गी / बुहारी / बुखार / बुखारी / चाख / चानचक / चासणी / चकूटा / चमासा/ चौमासा / चड़स / चिड़स / चमौला / चमौठा / चन्दा / कटारा / छड़ / चर्खा / चीगसा / चीगवा / छब्बाक / छाज / छात / छठी / चीतन / छेतणा / छिपकली / छोल / छूछक / चिलम / चिलाम / चिलमिया / चिंग्गरणा / चोभा / छो / छोह / चौंतरी / चूलकर / चूँडा / चूँघणा / चूरण / चूरमा / छ्योतके / चोतकर / चौबारा / चुगल / चुग्घड़ / चकचून्धर / चुळकणा / चूल्हा−न्यौत / चून्दड़ी / चून्धी / च्याहणी / डाबर / डाभ / कुश / दादस / डाक / डाक्की / दामण / दांतरे / दांतरी / दांदरी / दान्ना / दबाळू / डबोटा / दमीड़ / दमूही / डहर / दहेज / डळा / डाळहा / डांढ / डंडूक / डांगर / डंघ / डफळी / दरांती / दसमी / दौमड़ा / दीवा / ढब्बी / ढाळ / ढाणा / ढांख / धांस / ढांढा / ढई / डही / ढय्या / ढारा / ढाठा / धतूरा / ढप्प / धड़ी / ढेड / ढैढ / ढीढ / ढेरा / धीदे / दीदे / दिल का दौरा / दिल्ली सूबा / डोहरी / धोख / धोल्लां / धूमा / धूमणी / धूंधळा / धोरै / धोती / ढौवणी / धौण / डूम / डून्डा / डुंघा / दोलडा / दौलड़ा / डोए / डोई / डोऊ / डोग्गा / बैंत / डोक्के / डौळा / डोल / दूब / दूसर / दरांती / दुकानिया / दुलहंडी / दस्त / ईन्ढी / फळसी / गादड़ / गाळ / गावड़ी / गाड्डे / लोहार/ गात / गाभा / गाभरू / घाभरू / गभसूवा / गड़ंग / गड़ंगटे / गंहटा / गळामा / गलहूरा / गंडासा / गंडासी / गंडा-गांडळी / गंडे / गंडेरी / गंडीरी / गंडस्या / गंठा / गरंड / गौड़ी / गवहेरा/ गुरहेड़िया / गींडो / गीत / गीतां आळी / गेड़ा / घाघरी / घड़ौंची / घेट्टी / घणा / घसियारी / घीलड़ी / घेर / घेयर / घिलौठ / घुड़चड़ी / घुग्घू / घून्हा / घूस्स/ मूसा / गिल्लड़ / गिड़गम / गिड़चम / गिड़गोई / गिट्टा / गितवाड़ / गिजाई / गोबर / गोबर-गणेश / गोड्डा / गोह्झ / गोन्डा / गूदड़ / गूलर / गूमड़ी/ गूमड़ा / गूंद / गूठी घालणा / गोस्सा / गोज्जी / गुळाफू / गुणगुणा / गुणिया / गुसलखाना / गुठळी / ग्याभण / हारा / हार्ट की बीमारी / हाथ / हेल्ली / हड़खाई / हडवारा / हमामदस्ता / हन्डा / हरट / रैहट / हरद्वार/ हरयाणा / हाथळ / हुक्का / हुलांस / हुक्टी / इन्दरा गांधी / जाड्डा / जाळ / जामण / जाट / जाटणी / जेळी / कस्सी / कुहाड़ी / कसोल्ला / जर्सी / जेवड़ा / जीवड़ा / झाब / झाग बिखरणा / झालरा / कंठी / हसळी / झारणा / झकोई / झिकोई / झल्ला / झेद्दो / झेद / झेरा / झिरणी–डंका / झोड़ / जोहड़ / झूंड / झोट्टी / जीमणवार / जूम/ जूँ / जोत्ता / जोत्ते / जूआ / जुखाम / जम्फर / जंगल / जुराब / काग / काळ्जा / कल्लर / कामड़ा / कान मैं दर्द / काँटो / काँटवा / काट / काटकड़ / कातना / कबज / कचौळा / कड़ मैं दर्द / कढावणी / काका / काकी / कलीला / कळपूँछी / खागड़ / काळस / कनागत / कनस्तर / कंजूस माक्खी चूस / कंगड़ी पहलवान / कसळेट / कसूता / कासण / कटेहळा / कटेहळी / कटिया / काटड़ा / कात्तर / कौलड़ा / काई / कवाई / काच्चा / काच्ची / काँटा / खाँचा / खड़ाम / खड़बथुवा / खड़ताळ / काढना / खाज / खसूँटणी / खामखा / खाँड / खार / खार-की / खाट / खाटा घोळ / खात्ती / खात्ते-पीत्ते घर का / खड़ंजा / खढा / खाही / खंडवा / खप्परभर्णा / खरड़ / खसरा / खातौड़ / खटौल्ली / खोंसड़े / खिधवा / खिन्डका / खौल्लहां / हर्याह / खोही / खूड / खूंढी / खूंसट / खूटा / खूटी / खुड़का / किकरौळी / किरळकांट / किवाड़ / कुवाड़ / दरवाजा / खोप्पर / खुळिया / खुरचण / कोलहड़ी / कोल्हू / कोन्यां / कोनी / कूकड़ी / कोल्हड़ी / कूल्हड़ी / कूंग्गर / कुल्लंग / कूतरू / कोरवा / कोथळी / कौतरी / कूआ / कूई / कुड़ता / जम्फर / कुलच्छणी / कुम्भ का मेळा / कुंडा / कुंडी / कुरंढ / कुरहंड / कुरड़ी / लाग्गड़ / लाग्गू / लाम्मण / लामणी / लाण्डी / लाण / लाट / लंहसवा / लाक्कड़/ लापसी / लठ / लटूर / लत्ता ओढ्णा / लत्ते / लट्टू चासणा / लौढी / लीकड़े / लींड्डी-ठोक / लीपा-पोत्ती / लीतरे / लेवड़ा / ल्ह्फूसड़े / लिफूसड़े / ल्हासी / सीत / ल्हीख / लीक / लिहाफ / लोब्बाँ / लंढन / लुगाई / माड़ा / माड़ी / मांडा / मात्ता / मदारी / मलंग / मंडासा / मंगता / मांगणियाँ / मैलखोरा / मर्खणी / मींह / मींहढा / मोड्डा / मूसळ / मूठ / मोरी / मोत्तीझारा / मोट्टां / मौलड़ / मौळसरा / मुड्ढा / मुगदर / मुंह-दिखाई / मूँजी / मूधा / नूँह / नाकसी / नाळ / नकचूटी / नारिया / नाथ / नकछींकणी / नकेल / नाक्का / नकटा-नकटी / नणदोई / न्हास्टी / न्यौता / न्यौंदा / नजर-झाड़ / नेज्जा / नेज्जू और डौल / न्यौळ / निम्बौळी / नूण / न्यार / न्यारा / न्याम-श्याम / ओबरा / औळे / ओल्हा / ऊँग-द्यो / ऊँखळ / ऊत / ओपरा / भूत / पैड़काळा / औरणा / ओटड़ा / पाल्ला / पाळ / पाँ-में-दर्द / पाँत / पारवा / पात / पावा / पचगन्डा / पैड़ / पेट-में-दर्द पकावा / पिलपोट्टण / पल्टा / पंजारा / पळ्वा / पैंढा / पांढा / पंसळी-में-दर्द / पतावा / पटिया / पतलून / पथ-पाड़ / पतनाळ / पतराळ / पजावा / पीढा / पीहल / पीलिया / पींघ / पैंढी / पेरणा / फूकणी / फूफसरा / पिल / पिल्लू / पिलपोट्टण / पिलूरे / परस्स / पित्रफूल / पळा / पळ्वा / पोंडा / पोतड़ा / पौड़ /
    'परेसन' / पूड़े / पूणी / कसार / कौर / राब / राबड़ी / राछ / राक्क्स / रामजी / रान्ना / रस्सा / रस्सी / राचौंधा / रहपट / रहपटा / रहड़ू /रई / राळा / रंडा / रंधीण / रींट / रेज्जा / रेह / रेळा / आंधी-रेळा / रिपटण / रोहतक / रौळा / रौंझी / रूक्का / रूंगा / रोट / रूंढी / साब्बळ / साग / सांक्कळ / साळ / दलहान / साल्हड़ा / सामख / सांझी / सांगड़ / सींगड़ / सांगर / सांक्का / सान्नी / सांप / सांठी, पवाड़, कौंधरा / सांट्टा / साप्पळ / स्यापड़ / रापड़ा / सापड़ना / साथळ / सगाई / सक्कर / सकोरा / समधी / समधेटा / सन्दूक / सपेल्ला / सपड़ना / सपळका / सरकंडा / सटर्का / सौड़ / सीरा / सीत / सेह / सेही / सेक्का-ताड़ी / सेवा-सेवा / सेरू / सिवासिण / स्याणा / सिलम / सिलबट्टा / सिल्ला / सिलगाना / सिणक / सीप्पी / सिर में भड़क / सिर में दर्द / सिर्टी / सिर्टा / सिरहाणा / सोन्हा / सूआ / सूधा / सोट्टा / सुणसुणियां / सुथनी / सुथरा / सुथरी / सूट्टर / तगार / तगाजा / टाबर / तागड़ी / टामक / टांड / टांग / ताप / तावळा / तगड़ा / ताई/ तायसरा / ताक्कू / तकती / तनहाळ / तरेड़ / ताऊ / टीबा / टीकली / टीकड़ा / टींट / तीज / टेकड़ा / तेत्थण / थाळी / ठाण / ठांसरे / ठाठ / ठाड्ढा थापा / ठठेरा / ठौड / ठौड़-ठिकाणा / थेगळी / ठेगरी / ठीकरी / थेपड़ी / ठेक्का / टिक्कड़ / टिपौळा / ठूडी / ठौडी / ठूंठ / थ्याणा / थ्यावस / टूक / टूकणी / टोकणी / टूम / टूम-ठेगरी / तूतरी / टोर्वा / त्रेप्पनी / टुब्बल / टुटात्ती / त्साया / त्योर / उधमस / उकास / उलाळू / उलाळवा / उलाणा / उल्हाणा / उत्पात्ती / यावा / याड़ी / जवारा / जेर / जेट्टा / झींझ / झोक्का / जोट्टा
    Last edited by dndeswal; March 26th, 2006 at 11:19 PM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

Great Efforts Deshwal Ji .... Jama Enrich Kar Deni Hai Ya Dictionary Aapni ...

Thumbs up good job

Quote Originally Posted by dndeswal
    Dear colleagues,

एड्डी / मुड्ढा / मुगदर / मुंह-दिखाई / मूँजी / मूधा / नूँह / नाकसी / नाळ / नकचूटी / नारिया / नाथ / नकछींकणी / नकेल / नाक्का / नकटा-नकटी / नणदोई / न्हास्टी / न्यौता / न्यौंदा / नजर-झाड़ / नेज्जा / नेज्जू और डौल / न्यौळ / निम्बौळी / नूण / न्यार / न्यारा / न्याम-श्याम / ओबरा / औळे / ओल्हा / ऊँग-द्यो / ऊँखळ / ऊत / ओपरा / भूत / पैड़काळा / औरणा / ओटड़ा /
    deswal sir ,, aapke iss kaam key liyey to shabd thoodey sein,,,,,,, key kahu mein,,,,,,,,bss nuey kahuga nuey laagey rahoo... haryaanvi words aur sanskriti ney bachhan tahi.....
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Great Work Mr. Deswal, This is what i used to tell my mother to do (who has a great haryanvi vocabulary) but she never took me seriously, this is utterly important.

Arr main apni maa tai bhi keh dyungi ak iss dictionary mmah koi kami ho te bata dengi....

Also, it'll be great if people can actually identify the words which are particular to some areas (within haryana, u.p, rajasthan), it'll make it more interesting....

Deswal Sir,
    Writing few words, please see if added or not....
    1. Khassna- jabardasti panga lena
    2. Seeng ulljhana- same as above
    3. Baddsar- old learned person( i suppose)
    4. Nhaspada- Choddi naakwala( big nose)
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Wink thank you for so much research

[quote=sunitahooda]Deswal Sir,
    Writing few words, please see if added or not....
    1. Khassna- jabardasti panga lena
    2. Seeng ulljhana- same as above
    3. Baddsar- old learned person( i suppose)
    4. Nhaspada- Choddi naakwala( big nose)
    [thank you for introducing a novice to this language 'coz i feel real difficulty in fighting with any jat though i'm a jat myself ]

Its Ok Kritika....learn slow but learn for sure....after ye hamari sanskriti hai

[thank you for introducing a novice to this language 'coz i feel real difficulty in fighting with any jat though i'm a jat myself ][/quote]
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8