Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resume Building

Resume Building

Hi friends

I was till recently working in Human Resources in an MNC in Noida and was looking after senior level recruitments. Now I have left my job and have moved to New York where I am applying to some schools for higher studies.

Having had the experience of the other side of the recruitment process, I have some idea of what a recruitment manager looks for in a resume. There might be some people here, on this online community, who might be looking for a second opinion on their resume. For those of you who need help in editing their resume in order to make it more focussed, I can be of assistance. Pls feel free to mail me on this, I would be more than happy to be of some help.

Regards
    Monica

Thanks Monica! your efforts are much appreciated. All the best for your higher studies.

Thanks Monica Bahan.Wish you all the best for higher studies.

I am working as a software engineer.I need your help for modifing my resume.Can I get your personel mail-id or can you send me mail at bdahiya@yahoo.com or dahbal@hotmail.com?

Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya
    Monica Dahiya (Oct 29, 2003 07:38 a.m.):
    Hi friends

I was till recently working in Human Resources in an MNC in Noida and was looking after senior level recruitments. Now I have left my job and have moved to New York where I am applying to some schools for higher studies.

Having had the experience of the other side of the recruitment process, I have some idea of what a recruitment manager looks for in a resume. There might be some people here, on this online community, who might be looking for a second opinion on their resume. For those of you who need help in editing their resume in order to make it more focussed, I can be of assistance. Pls feel free to mail me on this, I would be more than happy to be of some help.

Regards
    Monica

Gr8 Initiative, Bhabhi ji!
    dk

Sometimes skills, knowledge & experience are only useful if the environment or situation requires them! However, we still should possess them all as we do not know,to what environment would we be subjected to, tomorrow!!!

best of luck monica for ur higher studies....
    Strive not to be a success, rather to be of value.

That is a very commendable offer Monica. How is life in big apple ? Keep up the good work. Hope you are able to devote more time to this worth while cause and jatland.

God Bless you!

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    I'm happy to see that young and bright people are coming forward in our community to extend support and provide guidance to fellow jats. Monica, I'm sure you can play a crucial role in providing career guidance through your expertise in the field of HR not only through resume building but by advising about different career opportunities and what young generation need to do to be succesful in their career ambition. Although I'm not an HR expert but I have conducted many final stage interviews and would be willing to provide any assistance that you or any member may need from me.

Login to view details.
    Thanks a lot Monica for offering the help . U r doing a great job. I really appretiate ur efforts . Hey I think you can help me .. let me know ur id and i will fwd the profile to you .

Sending email to members

To send mail to any member, you can click on the email button below the member's name.

Obviously, you need to be logged in to do so.

Nitin

Login to view details.
    Hi Nitin...I realized today that it was Mrs. Dahiya initiating this post. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any plans to visit your northern neighbours.

Great Initiatives. We need to help each other and must provide supports to the new generaion of our community to lift them up.

Kindly let me know your e-mail ID to communicate with you.

I am presently working for a big MNC as Six Sigma Champion and Management Representative(ISO QMS) and would like to offer my help and support to the JATs.

Regards
    Devendra Malik

thanks Monica! your efforts are much appreciated. All the best for your higher studies.[/quote]
    i am an MCA searching 4 job now a days,i think u can help me a lot.give me ur id so that i can send u my resume 4 modification.my id is
    nitinmaan@rediffmail.com
    thanks

Thanks everyone for such an encouraging response, Naveen, Dhanesh, Vikrant, Shubha Chand ji, Sushil ji, appreciate your good wishes! The number of resumes received has been big enough to keep me occupied the last few days, infact I am yet to get back to a some people with the inputs and hope to do it really soon. It was also a pleasure to know that many people from our community are doing so well proffesionaly.

After going through all these resumes I felt that there were certain common areas of concern in most of these. I think it would be worthwhile for me to share these with everybody:

1. Any HR person screening a resume in order to decide whether a person should be called for an interview has a broad guideline from the technical manager about the required level of education, experience and the kind of company a candidate should have worked in earlier. The great details about ones expereince are to be discussed only during the interview and any interview panel will always make sure that they have collected material on all the aspects of your work whch is relevant to them during their discussion with you.

2. For the above mentioned reason, one page resume is considered to be ideal for atleast upto an experience of 4-5 years since it is capable of containing all the information for making a decision on whether or not to shortlist a resume.

3. A lot of unnecessary information can be cut down from the resume, if not asked for specifically by the company, like: date of birth (your experience can give a good idea abt that in any case), father's name, permanent address (correspondence address is just fine, some people write both which is not required), Languages known (if its any language other than English / Hindi, only then mention this field), 'Resume' / 'CV' as heading for ones resume, writing ones name and date in the end and signature (not required, your name is in any case on the top of the resume).

All these things take a lot of very precious space on your resume and are not needed by the HR ppl.

3. Avoid writing in paragraphs, bullets are better for a short and crisp view.

4. Try and write each point in no more than one point, look for ways by which three four words can be expressed in one word, two three points can be combined as one point in order to cut down space they take.

5. As a general guideline, for an experience of every 1-2 yrs, mention no more than 3 most important points as part of your job description. If you write more than this, you would be going into micro level details which are not needed. Please remember that a resume helps only in your getting shortlisted for an interview, after that its your personality, presentation and experience thats going to get you through.

6. Write hobbies and interest only if you cant find anything else to fill up the space to make the resume one page. As far as trainings that you have attended are concerned, write only those which are really exceptional, any training which would make you really stand out.

7. In case of people in IT industry, I feel its better to not write in terms of project description of each project that one may have handled. This would make the resume unnecessary bulky, just write the broad responsibilities handled by you in any particular company. The technologies you have worked on will be in any case be covered in the Technical Skills summary that most people present encompassing the technologies, databases, applications, operating systems one has been exposed to.

These are some of the most common areas on which I felt that inputs needed to be given for the various resumes received so far. These might be relevant to a lot of others as well whose resumes I have not seen. In case any of you has a different point of view on any of these, or has any other concerns, I would be glad to hear from you.

Regards
    Monica

Login to view details.
    Thanks and well appreciating your help for the community.

Great Work, Keep it up.

Login to view details.
    gud efforts
    thats all what we need in our community.
    keep it up

rahul malik

Dear Monica,

Let me commend you for the wonderful gesture of extending help.

I am extremely thankful to you for sorting out my resume. It now looks like a resume. Earlier it was typical 'Fauji'.

If we all can show this tendency of helping each other more often, we would be unbeatable.

Thanks,

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)
    JAT BALWAN, JAI BHAGWAN

(Ein Volk - Ein Reich - Ein Fuhrer)

hi monica!
    tell me where i shud mail my resume si that u can have a look & guide me
    ajit

Monica Dahiya (Oct 29, 2003 07:38 a.m.):
    Hi friends

Regards
    Monica
    Dear monica
    Your positive approach towards serving your own people is excellent & have no words to describe.
    the undersigned is working as Sr. mgr(Tech.) in govt. U/T & possessing BE,DCM,DLL &MBA(Marketing) etc. with 18 yr. of experience.
    Inaddition to this my wife is working as PGT(Phy)in DAV & possessing BSC,BED,MSC,MPHIL(PHY) etc. we have alot to write you. Kindly send your e-mail address provided you are not disturbed enabling us to seek your valuable advice.
    Regards
    Sushil
    Delhi(surajmal vihar)

Very very thanx for hving such helping attitude
    for our JAT society.
    Our JAT society needs persons hving attitude like you.

BEST OF LUCK for ur Higher studies.
    @$