Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews on books

Chetan Bhagat's one night @ the call center.

Five point something is definately a good one. Every engineering grad would find tinge of Alok or Hari or Ryan in himself.

Last week, I was coming back to Singapore after having hard day in Bangalore. Flight was delayed, so at airport bookstore, I bought Chetan Bhagat's one night @ the call center.

I could very well correlate myself with Shyam, who was pissed off by his boss , family and girlfriend. I could not resist till I finished the book within the flight(mere 290 pages). It was awesome to have reference of Delhi/Gurgoan locations, sort of retro sajan sajni bollywood climax. I loved it all.

Maybe thats what I need at that time, after having hardtime with meetings with no conclusion, unrealistic deadlines and all other official craps - that I had to take with smile.

In the morning, I felt fresh, rejuvenated, even after 5 hours of flight, no sleep but with one night @ the call center !!
    Last edited by poonia; March 17th, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
    "I think, therefore I am " - René Descartes (1596-1650).

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    Very good thread!

I wonder how many have read an all time favorite “A Brief History of Time”. I’m sure physicists must have liked it or may be not ( ) looking at a different point of view to explain the evolution and actually contradicting Einstein at certain points. I’m an ardent fan of Stephen Hawking and adore all his work. And also because the strong personality he is. In spite of his disability his work is hardly affected. For those who don’t know he is affected by a type of sclerosis and uses a wheel chair and speaks through a voice synthesizer…Absolutely amazing!!

While reading his work I came across the thoughts regarding prediction of the future and when primitive people in ancient times attributed the natural disasters like floods, famines, diseases to God. My thought process switched over to God and I found very interesting expansion of the word which actually makes sense and is logical too according to the Hindu mythology which sounds more like a coincidence but I want to share with you:

G: Generator
    O: Operator
    D: Destroyer

I don’t think I need to explain who these three are!

P.S. Sorry for the lil' digression from the main thread!

Poonam bebe, though the extended explaination of God may sound fine but God can never be a destroyer in any sense of things.same mythology tells about the rebirth and as such aatama does not get extuingished but only body does.Word Generate also has a different conotation......Generate means by using some something materialistic substance etc.........Creator yes. Anyways i just reviewed your explainations...ha..ha..ha. We can debate this aspect without saying Wrong or right. My take on GOD:

G= Governor
    O= Originator
    D= Developer

Thanks for the nice inputs.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Smile

[QUOTE=devdahiya]Poonam bebe, though the extended explaination of God may sound fine but God can never be a destroyer in any sense of things.QUOTE=devdahiya]

Ram Ram Dev kaka! Kaise hai aap..

I was trying to align ‘Brahma, Vishnu, Shiv’ trio with the expansion of GOD which kind of makes sense!

[QUOTE=poonam]
    Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya
    Poonam bebe, though the extended explaination of God may sound fine but God can never be a destroyer in any sense of things.QUOTE=devdahiya]

Ram Ram Dev kaka! Kaise hai aap..

I was trying to align ‘Brahma, Vishnu, Shiv’ trio with the expansion of GOD which kind of makes sense!

Bebe this explaination may be good enough in our[hindus] context but whats about other religions? They don't have trios? There should be a universal logic...nahin bebe?

Yeah good book. I read it when I was in XII, at that time I didn't understand more than half of it... but now it looks simple:-))...
    In popular science books, my all time favourite is "Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose... vastness and depth of new ideas is totally overwhelming...

Penrose and Hawking published some papers together and they also shared some prizes... Hawking became famous for black hole, Penrose earned controversy thru quantum gravity ideas... many people tend to ignore his ideas of relating consciousness to science but weirdos like me like him...
    Another such book, that really impressed me is "A New Kind of Science" by Wolfram (founder of Mathematica, awesome software for analytical math)... even though I cudn't read 1000+page..

-vinod

Very good thread!

I wonder how many have read an all time favorite “A Brief History of Time”. I’m sure physicists must have liked it or may be not ( ) looking at a different point of view to explain the evolution and actually contradicting Einstein at certain points. I’m an ardent fan of Stephen Hawking and adore all his work. And also because the strong personality he is. In spite of his disability his work is hardly affected. For those who don’t know he is affected by a type of sclerosis and uses a wheel chair and speaks through a voice synthesizer…Absolutely amazing!!

While reading his work I came across the thoughts regarding prediction of the future and when primitive people in ancient times attributed the natural disasters like floods, famines, diseases to God. My thought process switched over to God and I found very interesting expansion of the word which actually makes sense and is logical too according to the Hindu mythology which sounds more like a coincidence but I want to share with you:

G: Generator
    O: Operator
    D: Destroyer

I don’t think I need to explain who these three are!

P.S. Sorry for the lil' digression from the main thread!
    Last edited by vinodks; March 18th, 2006 at 08:16 AM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Do you mean The Art of War by Machiavelli or that old famous japanese book?... I heard The Prince is better...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by sumitpawar
    well the books I have read the list is endless but i am just listing my fav books

marketing warfare
    the art of war
    postioning
    iacocca
    losing my virginity
    five point someone(somewhat my story:D:D:D:D)

happy reading guys
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

My favourite book even today: How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie. Great book in every sense of things.
    Last edited by devdahiya; March 18th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Alice's adventure and Through the looking glass still most lovable children book... and Carroll's poems are good too...

At one time I used to love Ayn Rand(I mean not in that way)... found Atlas Shrugged better than Fountainhead and Anthem... but her books are certainly not among best realistic novels... even though her philosophy is great.

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    What a nice thread! Good idea Amit. I love books.....

some heavy names coming through....think i still love 'Alice's adventures in the wonderland' especially the 'pig and pepper' and 'mad tea party' chapters in it!

what else....i flunked my maths periodical exam in school because of Gone with the Wind! Still think its the most romantic book ever...

Ayn Rand impacted a lot on my young impressionist mind...hopefully not for the worse...

Sunita, P G wodehouse's the best, nothing can surpass that in british comedy, just the thought of the characters makes one laugh..

Jane Austen stuff is good too (guess only girls like her stuff though...i've read all her books!)

Recently, I've liked 'the corporation', but thats because its related to my research and is actually readable

ok, for light reading...would suggest Alexander Mccall Smith of 'No.1 ladies detective agency'..

[quote=devdahiya]

Bebe this explaination may be good enough in our[hindus] context but whats about other religions? They don't have trios? There should be a universal logic...nahin bebe?
    Saare religions mein sab baatein hon ye koi jarrori to nahin Dev KAKA!!
    Last edited by chhillar; March 18th, 2006 at 12:29 AM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

Built to Last

How about this management master piece??? Visionary companies, leaders, concepts and products its all about these!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

[QUOTE=chhillar]
    Quote Originally Posted by devdahiya

Saare religions mein sab baatein hon ye koi jarrori to nahin Dev KAKA!!

Bhai it seems that you could not get the point i was making.I was trying to say that God is one and the same for all human beings and as such God's definition has to be that way.

Chetan Bhagat Fans

Try Nick Hornby guys. His famous books are 'High Fidelity' and 'About a Boy'. Both have been made into successful films. You will love him. He is funny, writes from the heart, and mostly is liked by guys because of his male Point of view.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Real World

Hi

Do we some one who is into real world books (Based on real life stories/ episodes)? I found these to be more engrossing than fiction. Like the once from Dr. S. Radhakrishana, Kushwant Singh, Lappire, Mark Tully etc?

BR/ Anuj

What do you mean by based on real world books, real life stories?... do you mean autobiographical fiction, travelodges etc.?... like Khushwant's "In company of Women"?... I read his "History of Sikhs, vol-I", very nice book...
    most of the fiction is based on real life experiences of the author even if he/she admit it or not... some are more based personal experiences than others...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by anujgoliya
    Hi

Do we some one who is into real world books (Based on real life stories/ episodes)? I found these to be more engrossing than fiction. Like the once from Dr. S. Radhakrishana, Kushwant Singh, Lappire, Mark Tully etc?

BR/ Anuj

any science fiction fans here? I started on this genre a year back..and haven't looked back since! favs include the foundation series by asimov and arthur c clarke's 2001 & Rendezvous with Rama. last read the player of games by iain m banks, it's about average.

i have also recently started reading books on real life adventures. The ones i like include into thin air (an account of the everest climb in 1996 when some 7-8 climbers died) and into the wild

I found angels & demons to be better than da vinci code - maybe bcoz that was his first novel i read. deception point got boring after a while.

i also like short stories - esp those of o henry, oscar wilde and saki. One of my all time fav short stories is the happy prince. You can read it here:
    http://eserver.org/fiction/oscar-prince.html

Any mba grad wanting to go into investment banking (m&a/advisory) should definitely read Monkey Business !!

Da Vinci code ..

If anybody planning to read Da Vinci Code - better buy illustrated edition - will enjoy more.
    "I think, therefore I am " - René Descartes (1596-1650).

Quote Originally Posted by amitdabas
    any science fiction fans here? I started on this genre a year back..and haven't looked back since! favs include the foundation series by asimov and arthur c clarke's 2001 & Rendezvous with Rama. last read the player of games by iain m banks, it's about average.

i have also recently started reading books on real life adventures. The ones i like include into thin air (an account of the everest climb in 1996 when some 7-8 climbers died) and into the wild

I found angels & demons to be better than da vinci code - maybe bcoz that was his first novel i read. deception point got boring after a while.

i also like short stories - esp those of o henry, oscar wilde and saki. One of my all time fav short stories is the happy prince. You can read it here:

Any mba grad wanting to go into investment banking (m&a/advisory) should definitely read Monkey Business !!

Hi Amit,

I like science fictions. The best i admire is the "Time machine" by H.G. Wells. I alweays dream about time machine. Whenever we get the the fourth co-ordinate (Space), it would be feasible to develop a time machine. That's what i believe.

And another story by H. G. Wells "The man who did miracles" is really inspiring stuff man. A person can do anyhing by his /her will power.

GREAT STUFF !!!
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

I just read "Man from Mars and women from Venus". Good stuff as it descibes the basic instincts of males and females. Very practical approach.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

Hmmm... varieties of readers here. good. I too liked Foundation series... actually Asimov's earlier books are quite good which are not that famous.... I found "The End of Eternity" better than "forward the foundation"... haven't read 2001 space odyssey but movie version by Kubrick is quite good...
    I think sci-fi fans must read Robert Heinlein.. like "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"... he beats Asimov in ratings...
    wanted to read "Into the thin air" for a long time...

I think this thread is becoming more like "hey I have read this, have you?"... we cud stick to book reviews, even though I haven't contributed anything so far... good luck

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by amitdabas

Basic instincts?... where can I get this book?... yeah I also am curious about practical approach only:-)))

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by vijay
    I just read "Man from Mars and women from Venus". Good stuff as it descibes the basic instincts of males and females. Very practical approach.