Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews on books

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    I liked the title of post... thats how sentences are constructed in his novels... As for Naipul's opinions about other authors... well, he criticizes everyone, so his opinions don't matter much... he may be right about accusation on Foster... good that you mentioned Foster... it suddenly reminded me that there is non-fiction book called "Aspect of the Novel" by E M Foster... this slick book is introduction to criticism for general reader... he analyses works of all major novelists in world... I found his views very balanced and worth reading... I feel even though Joyce was great writer with strong linguist streak, its not big deal if he didn't noble prize...

Will look for more about the piece you mentioned... thanks for letting us know

-vinod
    I tried to read Ulysses but couldnt go beyond 30 pages or so. Still would love to read it but its the only book that scares me as I failed to follow it and the language plus so many other minute details jumbled me up. Honestly, it went over my head

Login to view details.
    The Catcher in the Rye is good book... too bad you didn't like it:-((...

-vinod
    I really liked "Catcher in the Rye" but I had expected it to be much darker than what it turned out be. But still a must read, and honestly I could relate a lot to Holden, infact I had a very similar night and experience like him way before I read the book

Almost same here.. but am familiar with him thru "Dubliners" and "Portrait of Artist...."... will try to read Ulysses in summer:-))))... have been wanting to get hold of Life of Pi... "Zen and Art of Motorcyle Mentainance" is another philosophical adventure... the guy goes over ancient greek philosophy while riding thru mid-western plains on bike... it also has very brilliant ideas on reln of Eastern and western philosophies... "Sophie's World" another book on history of philosophy thru a novel, in which character Sophie gets letters from unknown sender teaching her philosophy, I glanced at it didn't read it becuz it doesn't seem to have anything which is not already in "Story of Philosophy" of Will Durant...A must read for anyone who wants to get overall ideas of "all" western philosophers...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by sansanwalamit
    I tried to read Ulysses but couldnt go beyond 30 pages or so. Still would love to read it but its the only book that scares me as I failed to follow it and the language plus so many other minute details jumbled me up. Honestly, it went over my head
    Last edited by vinodks; April 15th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Amit, where are you?...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by chhillar
    Let’s start this new thread on sharing our reviews on the books we’ve read recently. Philosophies, science, culture, spiritual/religious all are welcome.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Digression ke liye khed hai lekin ruk nahi paya... Fotu achha hai:-)))...

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    Thanks for the chance...oh..oh..I mean Link.. !

Just checked it briefly..looks interesting..

Life of Pi!

I am wondering how could I not mention this book before, the book that shook me, touched me, excited me, awed me, scared me, puzzeled me and much more.
    Yann Martel's Life of Pi will do the same for everyone, the book is a great read (finished it in two sittings and say 7-9 hrs., couldnt resist).
    Must read for everyone
    Yep, a great book indeed. Unfortunately, couldn’t finish reading yet though it has been lying with me for quite sometime…
    yes, a must read!

Smile

Digression ke liye khed hai lekin ruk nahi paya... Fotu achha hai:-)))...
    -vinod
    Digression ke liye khed hai lekin ruk nahi payi..."thank you" hai...:D

P.S. Vinod, tanne Life of Pi padhnee ho te mere tae le liye..pata na koon sae janam mae khatam kar paoongee main tae.. .

Login to view details.

Kama Sutra

While talking to a friend of mine who is an avid book reader, very high cultured, and Indian I was a bit shocked to see that she had not read Kama Sutra yet. I convinced her to do so and then I realised that there could be more like her, so I am writing about this book which did make a positive difference in my life even though it was written 1000s of years back.

Majority of the content is still relevant, but still a lot is written about King's and the special treatment that they recieved (which is what the book is mostly famous for). But the book goes way beyond than what is generally percieved of it. I would recommend Alan Danielou's version of the book.

The book is a must read for anyone who wants to know a bit more about life's expectations from us, especially if you are a Hindu.

Cheers,

I'm wondering if any of the jatlanders is into reading non-fiction intelligence works. I recently finished "Spycatcher" by Peter Wright, head of counterinteligence of MI5. I must say that it was one of the best books on covert subjects I've ever read.
    I've also read "Confessions of a spy" by Pete Earley and some others.
    Is there anybody who shares the interest in the same subject.
    Cheers
    Sangwan
    Jat Balwan.....Jai Bhagwan

to be frank reading books r sucha boring hobby for me
    but I Really admire these books!
    1) Taio of Jeet Kune do - Bruce Lee
    2) Light on Yoga - Iyenger
    3) Wings of Fire - Abdul Kalam
    4) Five point someone - Chetan Bhagat!

Well, the only novel I like is above 'Five Point Someone'
    whatta great read indeed!

any views??

Rock on
    Jit
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljat
    to be frank reading books r sucha boring hobby for me
    but I Really admire these books!
    Well, the only novel I like is above 'Five Point Someone'
    whatta great read indeed!

any views??

Rock on
    Jit
    bro thats one one of the best of mine too and some how find my life somewhat related to the book so thts another reason y its close to my heart

Comic BOOKS!?!

Are comic books allowed into this thread on the review of Books???

LOL! Probably not, but anyways….rather than starting a whole new thread on comic books (I still love em’) I am gonna put down here what I enjoy reading the most still since childhood….specially when wanting to take a break from the now-a-days regular work schedule and/or when not in the mood of catching up on other field related books (or magazines, Novels etc.); that is- COMICS!!!

The three most popular comic series for me are:

‘Tin-Tin’ (the, Belgian is it?, comic series is amazingly colorful with it Characters that include Captain Haddock, the dog snowy, and detectives Thompson and Thompsons!)

‘Asterix and Obliex’; another delightfully humorous comic book from the European arena…this one takes one back into the Roman conquest of Gaul times and it’s very nicely done cartoons strips are created by ex-Architects whose eye of detail is amazing!

‘Commando’ comics; Black and white wonderful illustration and tales of the war zone (World War Battle arena between the British and the Germans! Achtung!)

Who else still dabbles/delights in catching up on comic books?
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Are discussion about comic books is fresh break from kind of saturated thread... I don't why but I didn't find Astrerix very funny... I love love love Calvin and Hobbes and I like like like Peanuts too... and don't throw up arms when you hear the following... I haven't read any Tin-Tin so far:-((((((((... will read it when I get old:-)))

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra
    Are comic books allowed into this thread on the review of Books???

LOL! Probably not, but anyways….rather than starting a whole new thread on comic books (I still love em’) I am gonna put down here what I enjoy reading the most still since childhood….specially when wanting to take a break from the now-a-days regular work schedule and/or when not in the mood of catching up on other field related books (or magazines, Novels etc.); that is- COMICS!!!

The three most popular comic series for me are:

‘Tin-Tin’ (the, Belgian is it?, comic series is amazingly colorful with it Characters that include Captain Haddock, the dog snowy, and detectives Thompson and Thompsons!)

‘Asterix and Obliex’; another delightfully humorous comic book from the European arena…this one takes one back into the Roman conquest of Gaul times and it’s very nicely done cartoons strips are created by ex-Architects whose eye of detail is amazing!

‘Commando’ comics; Black and white wonderful illustration and tales of the war zone (World War Battle arena between the British and the Germans! Achtung!)

Who else still dabbles/delights in catching up on comic books?

Ab to padna hi padega... bhut ho gaya... ab tak sochta tha ki abhi to chhota bachha hoon, assi cheeze nahi padni chahiye aur wasse bhi whats use of theoretical knowledge when you don't have means for experimental verification:-)))... lab mein yahin sikhaya jata hai mera kasoor nahi hai...

Seriously, I heard from many that Kamasutra has many other teachings too... would be interesting to read...

-vinod

While talking to a friend of mine who is an avid book reader, very high cultured, and Indian I was a bit shocked to see that she had not read Kama Sutra yet. I convinced her to do so and then I realised that there could be more like her, so I am writing about this book which did make a positive difference in my life even though it was written 1000s of years back.

Majority of the content is still relevant, but still a lot is written about King's and the special treatment that they recieved (which is what the book is mostly famous for). But the book goes way beyond than what is generally percieved of it. I would recommend Alan Danielou's version of the book.

The book is a must read for anyone who wants to know a bit more about life's expectations from us, especially if you are a Hindu.

Cheers,

Login to view details.
    Asterix and Obelix are my favourtie comics ever, followed by Archie. I like the historical background of Asterixand Obelix and how they make fun of everything as they go along. And I like Archie simply because I enjoyed them and could relate to the whole plot as well, just like every other teenager (although I still read them but do find them a bit juvenile now)

Login to view details.
    Ab to padna hi padega... bhut ho gaya... ab tak sochta tha ki abhi to chhota bachha hoon, assi cheeze nahi padni chahiye aur wasse bhi whats use of theoretical knowledge when you don't have means for experimental verification:-)))... lab mein yahin sikhaya jata hai mera kasoor nahi hai...

Seriously, I heard from many that Kamasutra has many other teachings too... would be interesting to read...

-vinod
    Padh le padhe le bada gyan aavega is kitaab ne padh ke.
    Aur bhai galatfahami te khushfahami ghani khatarnaak hoye kare, chalo ib tane koi khushfahami to nahin hai ke tu ib baalak na reh rhya.
    Aur Rahi baat experimental verification ki, to woh definitely ek asset hai, par uske bina bhi tu apna kaam chala sake hai while enjoying the book. Aur ek baat bata tane kade "A Clockwork Orange" ki bhi experimental verification to nahin kar di ? :D

Are discussion about comic books is fresh break from kind of saturated thread...... and don't throw up arms when you hear the following... I haven't read any Tin-Tin so far:-(... will read it when I get old:-)

-vinod
    Haan bhai, paddh liye, aer boodhe hoye pehlan.... eeb bus yo dhyaan rakhiye wa kitaab 'Tin-Tin' aali sai aer na 'Kamasutra' aali sai! (Dakhiye kimme ghapadjot na ho jaye!:rolleyes: )

More great comic series:

'Richie-Rich', and 'Casper the friendly Ghost' etc.

Our very own Indrajal Comics (khaan gaye wo din!!!)...remember? Mandrake/Lothar, Phantom, Bahadur!?!....Wow! Classics those!
    Wonder why they are not in print anymore???..................

I was also an avid reader of Enid Blyton's books (very young) and then later into books by the same Author with series like the Famous Five, Hardy Brothers etc. etc............
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

This book by Stephen Covey is all about creating win-win situations, putting personal life in order, effectiveness in relationship, organizations and community, caring for self and importance of healthy balance in life. Great book!

For those who wouldn't have time or access to book, below are the 7 habits:

· From Dependence to Interdependence
    · Personality vs. Character Ethics
    · Proactive, Personal Vision
    · Beginning with the End in Mind
    · Personal Management
    · Paradigms of Interdependence
    · Think Win-Win (Jats! please pay attention)
    · Seek to Understand, Then Be Understood
    · Principles of Creative Cooperation
    · Principles of Balanced Self-Renewal

Last edited by chhillar; May 16th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.

Winning by Jack Welch

I am currently reading "Winning" by Jack Welch.
    Actually, to be accurate, I am listening to the audio book being
    read by Jack himself.

I am finding it to be an immense source of biz/management advice. It
    like it especially more because it seems to be reinforcing all that I
    have personally believed myself ! Ha!

Here is the Amazon link to the book review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...235011?ie=UTF8

I would recommend the audio version. Its great to just relax and listen
    to the guy speak.

Raj Nice to see you post after such long time, at least I miss your witty and rational postings...
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it

- Oscar Wilde