Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews on books

Reviews on books

Let’s start this new thread on sharing our reviews on the books we’ve read recently. Philosophies, science, culture, spiritual/religious all are welcome.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chhillar For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (March 6th, 2012)

Thumbs up

Very Good Idea Amit.

Let me start:

Last books I read was by Paulo Coelho ---> The Alchemist and 11 minutes - The Alchemist was Brilliant...11 minutes very good.

I have just started reading Gabriel Garcia Marcquez --->> One Hundred Years of Solitude...Apparently one of his master piece...Will let you know how it fared.

"Mine is a peaceful religion, I will kill you if you insult it"

Quote Originally Posted by antil-sunpatiya
    Very Good Idea Amit.

Let me start:

Last books I read was by Paulo Coelho ---> The Alchemist and 11 minutes - The Alchemist was Brilliant...11 minutes very good.

I have just started reading Gabriel Garcia Marcquez --->> One Hundred Years of Solitude...Apparently one of his master piece...Will let you know how it fared.

thanks!!!!!!!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

The Celestine Prophecy, Nine Insights

I read this book couple of years ago wriiten by James Redfield, one of the most mysterious and intriguing books of (I think) all times calledThe Celestine Prophecy( A best seller in NY Times list in '94), it is a must read for anyone interested in human potential, the evolution of mankind, and the power of spirit. It is an important book for anyone who believes they have inner power, or that they are energy as much as they have a body.

Fundamentally, the book's intentions are noble; the 9 insights the book talks about are simple to grasp. Peruvian manuscript is said to contain 9 insights. The nine insights aren't any typical, ordinary circumstances. The first, for instance, is about becoming aware of the coincidences that occur in life, next is there is nothing like coincidence, its all meant to be and so on....

Basically, if you have a consciousness (and you know that you do!) and you are interested in learning more about how to expand it, this book takes you by the hand and simply guides you through the stages of understanding.

I think James Redfield has taken lot of inspiration from Hinduism as one by one all the insights relate closely to our belief system.
    Again, this is one of those books that are more about the thoughts that they bring to the forefront of one’s mind, and how the world can change if we want it to.

This book raised lot of criticism also in the western world probably because it endeavors to highlight the supremacy and control of who is above all of us at all times.

paulo coelho??!!

well..eh! i read his ZAHIR... n there was nthin unusual...just a waste of time!:o
    of course,,,THE DA VINCI CODE is really worth a reading...
    (christianity ki dhajjiyan udaa rakhi hain )
    n theres dis novel- TOXIN.,. fgot d author's name. bt dats also mind-boggling!
    den there r Sidney Sheldon ones...alwaz rock...mesmerizing!

Quote Originally Posted by antil-sunpatiya
    Very Good Idea Amit.

Let me start:

-There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Quote Originally Posted by deepshika
    well..eh! i read his ZAHIR... n there was nthin unusual...just a waste of time!:o
    I think you will like The Alchemist...I didnt read Zahir, after knowing what it is was about.

Da Vinci Code....The Book is too thick to read ....Hopefully watch the movie..if and when it is released.

And Sidney...he is great story teller..no doubt.
    "Mine is a peaceful religion, I will kill you if you insult it"

Argumentative Indian

I just ordered this book, has anybody read it yet!

I’ve read mixed reviews about how the book as to how Amartya Sen has tried to euphemize Indian culture, history and religion to be the reason for present democratic and open society in INDIA.

Any comments???

The Alchemist -ok!
    100 years of solitude -very very good!

more later
    -vinod
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Thumbs up

Very good thread!

I wonder how many have read an all time favorite “A Brief History of Time”. I’m sure physicists must have liked it or may be not ( ) looking at a different point of view to explain the evolution and actually contradicting Einstein at certain points. I’m an ardent fan of Stephen Hawking and adore all his work. And also because the strong personality he is. In spite of his disability his work is hardly affected. For those who don’t know he is affected by a type of sclerosis and uses a wheel chair and speaks through a voice synthesizer…Absolutely amazing!!

While reading his work I came across the thoughts regarding prediction of the future and when primitive people in ancient times attributed the natural disasters like floods, famines, diseases to God. My thought process switched over to God and I found very interesting expansion of the word which actually makes sense and is logical too according to the Hindu mythology which sounds more like a coincidence but I want to share with you:

G: Generator
    O: Operator
    D: Destroyer

I don’t think I need to explain who these three are!

P.S. Sorry for the lil' digression from the main thread!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I haven't read any books for knowledge sake RECENTLY apart from my MBA's....but the last book that left a mark on my mind was ARUNDHATI ROY-THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS....its a slow read like an art movie but pacifies a TRUE READER's SOUL....for good humour P.G.WODEHOUSE is my most favourite author.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Punam ji,

A brief history of time is strongly recommended for inquisitive types.
    I would recommed " glimpses of world history" by Nehru for insight in the lives and times of humans from ancient age.

Deepshika,
    I think u must have been very happy for this thread,for that matter,well i am.
    why don't u write some review of some good book u came across.All the very best.

Regards, ramesh

oh..

jiju.....
    m n amateur..hehe !so, jst lukin 4 referrals..
    v wl b pleased 2 hv more suggestions,,,,frm YOU!
    thanks.
    m tryin 2 lay my hands on a good book..il let u know as soon as i find one.
    n yeah..m happy...see..,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by rameshlakra
    Punam ji,

A brief history of time is strongly recommended for inquisitive types.
    I would recommed " glimpses of world history" by Nehru for insight in the lives and times of humans from ancient age.

Deepshika,
    I think u must have been very happy for this thread,for that matter,well i am.
    why don't u write some review of some good book u came across.All the very best.

Regards, ramesh
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Quote Originally Posted by deepshika
    i hav read DA VINCI CODE n DECEPTION POINT of dan brown, i liked both, but da vinci code is better book.
    The special thing i like about dan brown is his home work for a story, in deception point the weapons n technology used in story are relevant n exist today.
    An in DA VINCI CODE, dat secret societies n clue behind paitings were true.
    i started ZAHIR, but never liked that book, i never understood why authour is writing.
    LeTz SpReAd ----JaTiSm-----
    --JaTiSm Is NoT A ReLiGiOn, ItZ StAtE oF MiNd--

Login to view details.
    well the books I have read the list is endless but i am just listing my fav books

marketing warfare
    the art of war
    postioning
    iacocca
    losing my virginity
    five point someone(somewhat my story:D:D:D:D)

happy reading guys

Quote Originally Posted by sumitpawar
    well the books I have read the list is endless but i am just listing my fav books

marketing warfare
    the art of war
    postioning
    iacocca
    losing my virginity
    five point someone(somewhat my story:D:D:D:D)

happy reading guys
    i hav also read five point sumone, but i'll like to read it from RYAN's point of view, he was fundamentalist from three of them, n was very cool.
    i never understood why ryan never had relationship with any girl.

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by mittu
    i hav also read five point sumone, but i'll like to read it from RYAN's point of view, he was fundamentalist from three of them, n was very cool.
    i never understood why ryan never had relationship with any girl.

buddy that was a fictional story its not neseccary to all of them have to be in a relasionship,l second thing is its depends frm who's point of view u develop or read a book, every one point of view is different

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    Very good thread!

I wonder how many have read an all time favorite “A Brief History of Time”. I’m sure physicists must have liked it or may be not ( ) looking at a different point of view to explain the evolution and actually contradicting Einstein at certain points. I’m an ardent fan of Stephen Hawking and adore all his work. And also because the strong personality he is. In spite of his disability his work is hardly affected. For those who don’t know he is affected by a type of sclerosis and uses a wheel chair and speaks through a voice synthesizer…Absolutely amazing!!

While reading his work I came across the thoughts regarding prediction of the future and when primitive people in ancient times attributed the natural disasters like floods, famines, diseases to God. My thought process switched over to God and I found very interesting expansion of the word which actually makes sense and is logical too according to the Hindu mythology which sounds more like a coincidence but I want to share with you:

G: Generator
    O: Operator
    D: Destroyer

I don’t think I need to explain who these three are!

P.S. Sorry for the lil' digression from the main thread!
    Sounds interesting!!!

Living Within - Sri Aurobindo

I read this book years ago…. talks about conscious, sleep, anger, depression, attitude, habits, faith, exercise, healing, meditation etc... An assay to connect body, its behaviors to conscious within us, excellent work!!!!!

My favorite books!

What a nice thread! Good idea Amit. I love books.....

some heavy names coming through....think i still love 'Alice's adventures in the wonderland' especially the 'pig and pepper' and 'mad tea party' chapters in it!

what else....i flunked my maths periodical exam in school because of Gone with the Wind! Still think its the most romantic book ever...

Ayn Rand impacted a lot on my young impressionist mind...hopefully not for the worse...

Sunita, P G wodehouse's the best, nothing can surpass that in british comedy, just the thought of the characters makes one laugh..

Jane Austen stuff is good too (guess only girls like her stuff though...i've read all her books!)

Recently, I've liked 'the corporation', but thats because its related to my research and is actually readable

ok, for light reading...would suggest Alexander Mccall Smith of 'No.1 ladies detective agency'..

Lightbulb hardcore fan of Ayn rand!

i hav read THE FOUNTAINHEAD and THE ATLAS SHRUGGED of Ayn Rand, n really loved her philosophy of life n love.