Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Reviews on books

Useful addition to our knowledge. Thanks and keep it up please.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Moar (March 4th, 2012), sukhbirhooda (March 4th, 2012)

Read " The Last Mughal", by William Dalrymle, a few days back, its a good book, well researched, it also tells us about the enormous historical archives that are lying in delhi about 1857,these archives haven't been digitized, although the documents of the aftermath of 1857 which are in Myanmar have been digitized by the Myanmar govt and are available in a CD, after reading the book, i feel that it was good that we didn't win the 1857 battle, before calling me unpatriotic, i will request people to read the book.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariom1972 For This Useful Post:

cooljat (February 14th, 2012), sukhbirhooda (March 4th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Hariom1972 View Post
    Read " The Last Mughal", by William Dalrymle, a few days back, its a good book, well researched, it also tells us about the enormous historical archives that are lying in delhi about 1857,these archives haven't been digitized, although the documents of the aftermath of 1857 which are in Myanmar have been digitized by the Myanmar govt and are available in a CD, after reading the book, i feel that it was good that we didn't win the 1857 battle, before calling me unpatriotic, i will request people to read the book.
    Hi Hariom,
    What kind of facts are there in the book which make you think that losing 1857 turned out to be in our favor? Really eager to know the reasons.
    जिंदगी पथ है मंजिल की तरफ जाने का,
    जिंदगी नाम है तूफानों से टकराने का.
    मौत तो बस चैन से सो जाने की बदनामी है,
    जिंदगी गीत है मस्ती से सदा गाने का..

Friend,

You will be pleased to learn that William Dalrymle is not the first person to use the archival sources available in the National Archives, Delhi. Rather they have been in use extensively for so many years and our historians have brought out so many monographs by making their judicious use.

A large number of books are available on 1857 and it would be a wrong, arbitrary and unacceptable conclusion if a person makes his/her opinion on such wide spread, international event as the events in India in 1857 were, on the basis of the study of one book. Even after the study of plethora of available literature, no historian has dared to arrive at such menacing conclusion as to say:"after reading the book, i feel that it was good that we didn't win the 1857 battle,...."

Kindly share.

Hi Deependra,
    Bahadur Shah II was born in Oct 1775, he was 77 years old in 1857, he regarded hinself as a sufi pir, and considered himself to be a protector of Hindu faith, which were good points in his favour. But he had a vacillatory attitude and was under the strong influence of Zeenat Mahal, who wanted her son(Jawan Bakht) to be the emperor and for this BS ( Bahadur Shah ) had requested the british a number of times. Although Jawan Bakht was around 14-15 yrs old in 1857( After reading the book i have given the book to a friend to read, hence i am writing from memory so i am not sure of a few facts), but his behavior during imprisonment shows him in poor light, for details do read the book or i would write the specifics after i get the novel back. Now imagine that had we won in 1857, then we would have been ruled by Jawan Bakht .
    Another reason is that the demographic status of Delhi changed after 1857.
    The Ghazis wanted to slaughter cows in Jama Masjid in 1857, although it was banned by BS and he had punished a few people for it, but how long would he have had controlled the Ghazis??
    Last edited by Hariom1972; February 14th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Has anyone read "Time Pass" by Pooja Bedi. I had read one or two chapters and had found it interesting.

Has anyone read "Time Pass" by Pooja Bedi. I had read one or two chapters and had found it interesting.
    Kindly share with us what appealed you and also the reason not to go ahead 1 or 2 chapters, please.

Hi Deependra,
    Bahadur Shah II .... had a vacillatory attitude and was under the strong influence of Zeenat Mahal, who wanted her son(Jawan Bakht) to be the emperor and for this BS ( Bahadur Shah ) had requested the british a number of times. Although Jawan Bakht was around 14-15 yrs old in 1857( After reading the book i have given the book to a friend to read, hence i am writing from memory so i am not sure of a few facts), but his behavior during imprisonment shows him in poor light, for details do read the book or i would write the specifics after i get the novel back. Now imagine that had we won in 1857, then we would have been ruled by Jawan Bakht .
    Friend, there is no place for 'imagine' and 'ifs' and 'buts' because history is a narrative of the incidents/events which actually occurred.

If you are not sure about accuracy of the contents and are basing them on the basis of memory, what compelled you to make a hasty remark on such an important issue that too on the basis of the study of a novel not a book of history. Please enlighten us the real character of the events of 1857.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Kindly share with us what appealed you and also the reason not to go ahead 1 or 2 chapters, please.
    I was reading the book in a library, That particular day i had some spare time and hence had gone to the library. Thereafter i tried buying the book but couldn't lay hands on one. Would buy it on my next visit to Delhi. The first few pages appealed to me 'cause it sounded like the author would be totally honest portraying her mother and various other characters. I am also looking for a e version of the book.

I was reading the book in a library, That particular day i had some spare time and hence had gone to the library. Thereafter i tried buying the book but couldn't lay hands on one. Would buy it on my next visit to Delhi. The first few pages appealed to me 'cause it sounded like the author would be totally honest portraying her mother and various other characters. I am also looking for a e version of the book.
    Friend.

Go ahead. We would wait for the posting of 'Review of Book' at your end here.

Thanks
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; March 6th, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

Aristotle's Ethics and Descartes's A Discourse on Method are good read..

D\A i m reading ''In Quest of the Last victory'' by Navin Gulia......... very interesting, motivational book.
    PLs read it........
    Thanks & Regards,

Anil Jakhar
    jakhar.anilk@gmail.com
    +91 93143 91300
    Birodi badi \ Nawal garh, Fatehpur Shekhawati, Rajasthan, India

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakharanil For This Useful Post:

kamnanadar (March 8th, 2012), rameshlakra (March 8th, 2012)

if u want to any book pls click www.flipcart.com very easy to buy less price from market...

Thanks & Regards,

Anil Jakhar
    jakhar.anilk@gmail.com
    +91 93143 91300
    Birodi badi \ Nawal garh, Fatehpur Shekhawati, Rajasthan, India

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Navin Gulia book has become best seller and Number 1 on biography section of Flipkart with maximum 5 star rating by any book.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rameshlakra For This Useful Post:

ravinderjeet (March 9th, 2012)