1. Gladiator
    2. Godfather
    3. The Good Bad and Ugly
    4. The sixth sense
    5. Gadar

Wink Garam Dharam

Quote Originally Posted by jagmohan
    Dear All,

The movies in which Dharmender stars are THE GREATEST. Just watched 'DHARAMVEER' the other day. Kai Oscar milne Chhahiyein thay... what a movie and what story

Raja ki Chhori ka Swayambar, Chhori gai shikar pe, sher mar diya, daku aage, pher Jwala ne bachai, pher Gandharv vivah, rat ne jo sher marya tha us aali sherni aa gi, Jawala ar sherni ki fight, Chhori behosh ar jab utthe se te uska byah ho se ek Raja gelyan, she tells Raja that she is pregnent, Raja accepts her, enter Chhori's brother (Jeevan), Chhori gives birth to two sons, ek ne thaa legyaa Jwala ka Falcon, ek bangya Raj kumar, Chhoryan ka Mama tries to exchange the Rajkumar with his own child but Mami changes it again, jo balak Falcon uthaa ke le gya tha vo ja pahunchya ek Luhar ke ar vo ban gya DHARMENDER....

Ar ya te sirf starting se... What creativity and what fun. No, there can be no greater creativity. Give whatever arguements you want, I will NEVER be convinced...

Regards,

JS Malik
    Ha! Ha! Well said Malik saab, but don't you think that you kinda already setting yourself up a lil' skeptical by adding ("Give whatever arguements you want, I will NEVER be convinced...") Heh! Heh!:D

The guys was so good in some of his earlier more meaningful role movies that it is incredible he is never considered in the ranks of the great actors (in the acting department, I mean)...
    I am a fan of his very early movies: His role of a professor in; 'Chupke-chupke' was it? (I think he even gave Amitabh a run for his money in that movie)!!! And then in 'Staykam'...and all those other ones with Meena Kumari (I am really doing a blank on his movies names right now), but basically those BW movies where he was in his element and not really the garam Dharam of later...more punch with his acting then actually punching the villians! ...
    But then man, could his persona in 'Shalimar' and 'Yaadon Ki Baarat' be forgotten!?!...Geezomighty, what an all macho Dude!
    Last edited by shailendra; March 23rd, 2006 at 09:55 PM.
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    This thread shd be moved to time-pass section. its nothing more than chit-chat... there is no useful discussion possible on favorite movies...

-vinod
    LOL!:D Interesting piece of post....really, this brings me to the question I have often asked myself: How to we all access these posts in the first place? I mean, do we first go by where the thread is posted?...(like go directly in to General talk, Time pass...etc. folders, based on what we are in the mood of?) or [like me] go directly to the New-Posts section/folder first and then read thru anything that seems interesting and catches the eye with their title/heading!??!...

So well; basically what I am saying is that unless the title is misleading (and this one was not) and/or one couldn't figure out what it means in the first place and had to come in, read it and find out, (only to strike the forehead with disgust at it's 'time-pass' nature, for example, let's say)....I don't see why it should be such a big deal otherwise!?!

Quote Originally Posted by spdeshwal
    Some of the movies touched me and i feel like watching again and again are:

McNnnna's Gold
    Changej KHAN
    Mackenna's Gold is one western I still gotta see (have been told by so many people about the greatness of this movie, that it is now frustrating to not be able to get my hands on a copy in the video stores! I dunno why is that...always thought the famous ones should be a given at the stores!)...Gergory peck (our Dev Anand!) supposedly stars in it, right?

And then Chengeiz Khan (I am not sure either how to spell the big guy from Mongol!) apparently has had some versions done in the past, but I do vaguely remember one version that I had watched in my childhood...and that it was quite an exciting movie. Would love to catch it again, even if to relive the childhood nostalgia!

maja aa gaya saare piche chore diye.
    i really appreciate ur ideas 16*2=8

Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda
    Chhorey iss list ka matlab sai ak ibbey tanne ghani CD deni sain mere tai????

:p baaki ghanii ho li sey....... aur ghaniien reh bhi gayi sein:p
    [/quote]

hi all

i am more of humorous movie fan sum gud hilarious movies are
    1.ace ventura (wen nature calls) watched it nearly 25 times
    2.goldmember(austin power)
    3.mask
    4.forrest gump(sort of comic)
    5.andaz apna apna(gud hindi flick)
    6. not another teen movie
    7.dumb & dumber
    8.dude wheres my car
    9. bade miyan chote miyan(another gud hinsi one)
    sum serious wud b
    1.cast away
    2.bad boys
    3.broken arrow(how gud is john travolta?)
    4, troy(boy i dont watch these priod films but this one is grrrr8)
    5.gladiator
    6.laggan
    7 t2(how can we forget that bike chase in canal scene)
    8.rambo(one in afghanistan)
    9.i just wish there wasa movie made with arnie vs sylvester

favourite serials

i like to watch friends (got all the seasons), seinfield, des house wives, fresh prince of bel air, nd what about u guys!!!!!!!

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    "Baby's Day out"
    "Baby Geniuses"
    "Home alone"
    "Father's Day"
    "Ghostbuster's part(1&2)
    "Lake Placid"
    "My baby's daddy"
    "The nutty professor"
    "Jaws"
    Last edited by rana1979; March 24th, 2006 at 12:23 AM.

The Constant Gardener

....usually i either i like or dislike films for their overall appeal to me....the liking for this one, i should staightaway say is coming out of my bias for the subject ....all my working and researching life, I've spent on Business and society, the concepts of corporate social responsibility, corporate ethics and stuff....the boring stuff which has no ultimate answers and you just go round and round and round...a lot of heartache and introspection.... i've got to spent time with people who work in these big organisations (i have myself worked in one and left after i realise what its actually like from inside) and i have found subtle and strong shades of passion for this subject and i have seen people say....ok these organisations are not doing everything right but we are here precisely because of that...we are here because we know we are right...these often leads one to existentialist questions...i saw the same theme in this movie apart from the love story...

so now that i have cleared my bias , i'll come back to the movie itself, lets talk about the love story....there is a very old saying...'opposites attract'...this is quite resounding in the movie...in the heroine i saw a humane person who could share her love and protect people....and this 'protection' bit is the one which got her husband to share her convictions (only after her death)....she did not talk to him (about her work) much because she wanted to protect him, because he was unlike her, was different from her and was happy in his gardening (no disrespect, everyone has their own way of finding meaning in life).

He had his doubts about her faithfulness and still he loved her so much he never confronted her...and all his doubts were proved wrong! After her death, to him, she proved to be the constant gardener...tending to people she loved, people who are being betrayed by the big multinationals to make profits....i think i like this movie because it shows that corporate bottomlines (which were created by human and can easily be done away with) have become more important than human lives....we are seeing it everywhere...thank god somebody made a movie on it.....ok...now you've got me started....i think i'll keep my further views to myself...:D

you've got to watch it twice to make proper sense of it....and if you like it more the second time...maybe you should watch syriana and lord of war too...different takes on the same subject...

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra
    ...Hmmm, yeah... it was ok! I was getting a lil' put off with the whole black and white, comic book style of filming. Wanted to switch the DVD off and pick up a good DC comic book instead! LOL...:rolleyes:

Now Priti, I remember you ealier mentioned 'The Constant Gardener', right? Well, I have watched it and wanted to ask what is that you liked in there that it fell under your fav list?... Don't get me wrong; not questioning your call and I liked the movie too, sorta (it kept me intrigued and glued all along at least) but just as a discussion...
    (people who haven't seen the movie and are planning to watch can stop reading right here! :D )
    I will tell you my thoughts: While the whole concept (Medical companies making a killing in the poor third world countries)...was worth a subject, and they show the main leads bring the culprits to justice and thus raise a warning sign to the world over, but the way the whole story was put together seemed somehow far-fetched to me (or at least the way the director showed it, did!)...
    Consider this; here is a guy who works with a big organization, takes in a mutinous woman as a wife... ignores all his other colleauges warnings on her; loses her eventually, realizes what was happening and then proceeds to take up the world all by himself!!! A guy who is shown as mild mannered and non-dominant is suddenly shown calling the shots everywhere!...he loves her enough to go on a warpath, but apparently had no time to listen when she was talking in the first place!...and then the ending of the movie (and that was the limit for me!) he just sits down and waits for death to walk up to him... what an anticlimax! I was shocked by it! (I guess the male ego in me failed to see eye to eye on that!)... I dunno, the movie was interesting, or should I say 'good' at best!

The movie was hyped a lil' bit at the Oscar's too, and got the lead actress one of the gold baldies for the supporting role, right? (she looks stunning, BTW)
    Last edited by priti; March 24th, 2006 at 02:22 AM.

Another big larger than life Movie that shook the cinema and thus created a history of sorts! Movie making was never the same experience again!!...I am talking about: The three 'Lord of the Ring' sequels/movies!...
    It has always been my standing that good movies are not about computer graphics and spectacular imagery, but tell you what these movies have changed my perception....apparently if done right, they can take the whole movie watching experience to a whole new level, as was proof after watching this triology!....

You don't have to be a sci-fi or period drama fan to love these movies for the spectacular panorama of New Zealand landscapes and pure adrenalin fun of Computer generated images that the middle earth ever experienced!

...and if you do go there and talk about it, then one needs to give a honorable mention to all the Harry Potter movies too, with the same exhilarated catch of breath!
    Last edited by shailendra; March 24th, 2006 at 01:53 AM.

hehehe...what a passionate write-up on sholay....wonderrrful in toto...

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra

HAVING SAID THAT: while these scenes and flavor, ambience were borrowed, but man did our movie Sholay do justice to each and every of it's scene, and then some! (I mean, look how aaj ki movies lift scenes directly, no creativity; just simple copying word to word)....but that's why Sholay is so much more special; it recreated a drama that could only be called of an Indian flavor at best. It used a theme and then got under the skin of it! Made it it's own and even much more better than any original idea!!!.............................

after Constant gardener...sin city..

think i liked it for its 'les miserable' sort of appeal of bad guy is actually a good guy...

also the cinematography was different from usual...it is so annoying that you actually sit up and give it more attention to follow the movie...

also, liked the separate stories in parallel narration...

Smile ...Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    ....usually i either i like or dislike films for their overall appeal to me....the liking for this one, i should staightaway say is coming out of my bias for the subject ....all my working and researching life, I've spent on Business and society, the concepts of corporate social responsibility, corporate ethics and stuff....the boring stuff which has no ultimate answers and you just go round and round and round...a lot of heartache and introspection....luckily, i've spent time with people who work in these big organisations (i have myself worked in one and left after i realise what its actually like from inside) and i have found subtle and strong shades of passion for this subject and i have seen people say....ok these organisations are not doing everything right but we are here precisely because of that...we are here because we know we are right...these often leads one to existentialist questions...i saw the same theme in this movie apart from the love story...
    i think i like this movie because it shows that corporate bottomlines (which were created by human and can easily be done away with) have become more important than human lives....we are seeing it everywhere...thank god somebody made a movie on it.....ok...now you've got me started....i think i'll keep my further views to myself...:D

you've got to watch it twice to make proper sense of it....and if you like it more the second time...maybe you should watch syriana and lord of war too...
    ...Whoa! Attagirl, you are one quiet one, aren't ya! Good for you, my compliments to you for being in a field that apparently raises so much passion in ya! At least now, if not in the beginning like you mentioned... (isn't that what it's all about?; working when it is not 'work' but more a passion! believe me I would know...)...

Now that I know where your bias is coming from (Just Kidding!!! :D )...believe me when I say I didn't watch the movie just from the bystander perspective and in all fairness understood why the director had to make the ending like the way he did; it was not some Rambo going against the whole Russian empire (reminds me all the Rambo series were iconic too! Heh!) but simply cause he is just a normal working guy, in the same field finally hoping that his huge sacrifice (and that of his wife before him) would maybe make the world sit up and notice... but I guess just the whole idea of someone in the same field apparently for so long, but still being completely clueless about the underhand workings and happenings (big or small) seemed a lil' far fetched and weird! But then the movie would not be such a end-of-the-seat thriller now, would it!?!...
    BUT...having said that, I totally feel that I have gone into the deep end on this one against someone like ya, Ha!...so I guess I shall just politely beg to differ on some of the projected incidental things in the movie (for me always the devil has been in the detail....looking at all the silly small things, I guess!:rolleyes: )...
    The movie's punch still continues to remain a commendable one in my mind, just like I had said in my initial post, and everything said and done I can't think of a better cast than Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz taking us thru the motions (BTW, have you seen Ralph Fiennes in 'The English Patient'?...)

But I must confess I was also ready to pat myself on the back for being the catalyst that starting you off on a tangent on this one!....cause it made very interesting reading indeed! I am sure those who have read this post of yours must be equally intrigued (and yes, the Movie producers should be paying us for the PR and advertisment, no doubt! )...so maybe you wanna keep going on your thoughts there!?!
    [Hell, even Vinod must not have imagined the thread could turn from 'time pass' to something more serious and delightfully engaging discussion! (Pun intended! :D Heh! Heh!)]
    I will still try and catch those other movies you mentioned and who knows maybe wouldn't even need a second go at them to comprehend fully...LOL! Just Kidding!!!
    Last edited by shailendra; March 24th, 2006 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    think i liked it for its 'les miserable' sort of appeal of bad guy is actually a good guy...

also the cinematography was different from usual...it is so annoying that you actually sit up and give it more attention to follow the movie...

also, liked the separate stories in parallel narration...
    Yes, that was interesting; you might wanna watch 'Crash' too, that is if you have not already done so... for the same reasons!...(Plus now it boasts of an Oscar too!)...

Lightbulb one question in my mind

hi ,,, as we r discussing films here but there is question in my mind .......
    amol palekar`s 'Paheli' got India's official entry to the Oscars.

I think,,,the other films contending for the nomination were

1...>>>...Black
    2...>>>...Parineeta
    3..>>>..Page 3
    4...>>..Iqbal
    5 ...>>>Swades
    6...>>...'Veer-Zaara
    7..>>...Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi
    8..>>..Graham' (Telugu)
    9...>>>..Sachein' (Tamil)
    10...>>>...Anniyan (Tamil)
    11...>>>..Uttarayan' (Marathi), and mangal paandey

Do you think Paheli was deserving ???
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by downtoearth
    hi ,,,

Do you think Paheli was deserving ???

The reason they have given was that Paheli showcases more of an Indian tradition and culture as compared to the other films and was based on Indian literature, which was the idea behind selecting the movie for Ocsars to represent the Indian cinema. Makes sense I guess!!

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Paheli

After ages I got to see such an honest and beautiful Hindi movie that even smelled Indian. In today's time when bollywood just cooks up bad tasting "chicken tikka pizzas", it was great to enjoy khalis "dal-baatti". Paheli did deserve it, I was infact saddened to see it not becoming a finalist in the oscars. Good movie, I have even got the DVD

Thumbs up kuch meri fav movies -- Jit

Jat log,
    Im not that movie-buff but still I really admire some of these movies-

Bollywood-

> Gulami
    > Sholay
    > Ghayal
    > Prahar
    > Kaala Pathar
    > Kaun
    > Savere wali gaadi
    > Vaastav
    > Do Kaidi
    > Jaane bhi do yaaron
    > Herapheri (nayi wali)
    > Munna bhai MBBS
    > Mirch-masala
    > god mother
    > Swadesh
    > Ruksat
    > Don
    > Agneepath
    > Shiva
    > Ghatak
    > Company
    > Yaadon ki barat
    > Mukkadar ka Sikander
    > Hero (yamaha 350 wali)
    > Jo jeeta woh hi sikander
    > Black Friday

etc....aur kuch mein abhi bhool reha hoon....btw I always enjoy watching Ram Gopal Verma's movies....one more thing I'm despreatly looking for a movie named HOLI directed by Ketan Mehta & its arguably the first movie of Aamir khan in which he acted as young guy, kissi ke paas ho to bhej do mere paas yaar!!!

HollyWood --

> Hard Target
    > The gud the bad n the ugly
    > Cliffhanger
    > A shoot to kill
    > the Edge
    > Breaking Away
    > Rockstar
    > Terminator 2
    > Rocky series
    > Rembo 3
    > the Specialist
    > Pay beck
    > Ronin
    > the Professionals
    > Enter the Dragon
    > Transporter
    > Matrix series
    > MI Series
    > Ace Ventura series
    > Mask
    > Dumb n Dumber
    > Me, myself & Irene
    > Letheal Weapon series
    > Challenger
    > Lion Heart
    > Taxi Driver
    > GodFather
    > Deer Hunter
    > Gladiator
    > the french connection

Abhi mery memory mein itni hi capacity hai
    aur yaad aayi to aur add kardoonga!!

Rock on
    Jit
    Last edited by cooljat; March 24th, 2006 at 11:23 AM.
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Gladiator !!!!!!!

A flawless piece of art !! Movies don't get better than this. Plenty
    of good movies out there...but this is one for which I can still visualise the
    scenes.

If you haven't seen it, WATCH it. If you've seen it, WATCH it again.
    I haven't been able to find one flaw in this one....and believe me...I know
    how to find flaws.

A Few More:

Quote Originally Posted by rana1979
    Yeah Rahul !!! Shawshank redemption is really a great movie.
    To Add to this are
    Patch Adams.
    A few Good Men
    Platoon
    A bridge on River Kwoi,
    A bridge too Far
    Operation Day Break
    Operation Thunderbolt/Raid on Entebee
    Saving Private Rhine
    All Quite on Western Front
    Color Purple
    Sixth Sense
    Dirty Dozon

Among the Hindi Movies, besides others mentioned, I guess, Chupke Chupke, Anand, Namak Haram, Ardh Satya, Arth, Deewar, Swadesh, Dil Chahta Hai, Baagban, Black,I feel are good movies. We already have had a discussion on Rang De Basanti, I feel it is a good movie too.

Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".