Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative Movies of all Times

Thumbs up poonam dacterni ji ram ram

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    The reason they have given was that Paheli showcases more of an Indian tradition and culture as compared to the other films and was based on Indian literature, which was the idea behind selecting the movie for Ocsars to represent the Indian cinema. Makes sense I guess!!
    poonam ji,,,, aap aali baat ghankhaari film mein fit bethey sey,,,,,,,, ,,, to me ,,,,,,jury comprising members of national film awards selection committee and other reputed cineastars found "paheli" special.....to many "black" was deserving,,,, but i think palekar outlobbied Lilla bhansali......and there was alreadya gr8 hollywood classy with the theme of black based on Helen Keller experiences...........aur shaayd paheli kissey ki remake na sey.........
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Fotu bahut badiya sae chhore! Konsi film ka scene sae? ek dam Jat-gladiator lage sae.

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by raj_rathee
    Gladiator !!!!!!!

A flawless piece of art !! Movies don't get better than this. Plenty
    of good movies out there...but this is one for which I can still visualise the
    scenes.

If you haven't seen it, WATCH it. If you've seen it, WATCH it again.
    I haven't been able to find one flaw in this one....and believe me...I know
    how to find flaws.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

The Moviegoers

Agree with you... looks like u are passionate about movies.

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra
    Another big larger than life Movie that shook the cinema and thus created a history of sorts! Movie making was never the same experience again!!...I am talking about: The three 'Lord of the Ring' sequels/movies!...
    It has always been my standing that good movies are not about computer graphics and spectacular imagery, but tell you what these movies have changed my perception....apparently if done right, they can take the whole movie watching experience to a whole new level, as was proof after watching this triology!....

You don't have to be a sci-fi or period drama fan to love these movies for the spectacular panorama of New Zealand landscapes and pure adrenalin fun of Computer generated images that the middle earth ever experienced!

...and if you do go there and talk about it, then one needs to give a honorable mention to all the Harry Potter movies too, with the same exhilarated catch of breath!
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Thumbs up Gladiator was awesome, no doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by raj_rathee
    Gladiator !!!!!!!

A flawless piece of art !! Movies don't get better than this. Plenty
    of good movies out there...but this is one for which I can still visualise the
    scenes.

If you haven't seen it, WATCH it. If you've seen it, WATCH it again.
    I haven't been able to find one flaw in this one....and believe me...I know
    how to find flaws.
    ....Aaao Thaakur aao! (:D Just quoting from Sholay, Rathee!...and of course an ode to your pose!)...
    Absolutely! 'Gladiator' is another biggie....(again goes back to my contention that computer graphics nowadays can do wonders to a movie) for example those perfect architectural details of the Coliseum and of other Rome buildings in the movie was done in the 3-D max studio etc. kinda computer modelling....and to what a spectacular effect!
    But besides that there is something about period drama's that catches the imagination, for example the authentic costume designing is one of the unspoken arts but such an important form of the cinema!!!...

Reminds me:My own pet peeve for example in these times of modern day cinema, and on top of that a big banner film like 'Mangal Pande' still had british soldiers shown in painted cardboard hats and ...well, just plain bad costume designing! Mangal Pande (himself a Brahmin) is shown sporting a rock star like hairdo, and Rajput like mustaches! He's also shown walking around in a Dhoti but with full ankle high boots, more appropriate on the feet of a modern soldier then an 18th century sepoy! Whatever happened to authentic presentation!??!... and then they say we cannot keep up with Hollywood becuase they have better equipments and computer graphic artists etc... well, how about hiring an 'authentic' costume designer for starters next time, rather than have the producers local tailor do the get-ups!?!

Well, anyways...coming back: Russel Crowe did a fine job in 'Gladiator', and by the way as I understand the tigers in the Coliseum fight scene are supposedly from India and were the same one's used later in our very own Ghost thriller movie 'Kaal' (yeah, call those tigers either Bollywood or Hollywood stars from now on! No pun intended!)...
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

King-kong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Agree with you... looks like u are passionate about movies.

-vinod
    You got it buddy!!!...

On the same genre one should plan to watch the new 'King-Kong' too.....OH-WHAT-A-MOVIE!!! These guys are getting so good that now it is quite difficult to remove fact from fiction....(by the way, these kinda movies are a must to be watched on the big screen with huge dolby stereo systems! The small DVD/TV screen just does not do them justice!)

Quote Originally Posted by raj2rif
    To Add to this are

Platoon
    A bridge on River Kwoi
    Operation Day Break
    Operation Thunderbolt/Raid on Entebee
    Saving Private Rhine
    All Quite on Western Front

Quite the armed forces person choice of movies there!

I must say that 'Saving Private Ryan' was a first of sorts too, with it's very very graphic and realistic battle scenes...including blood, gore and severed, blown up limbs!!!...
    Speaking of graphic battle movies...have you watched 'Full Metal Jacket'? This one is from the Vietnam war, and is famous for it's graphic war scenes!

Must say 'Platoon' was such a huge influence on me as a young kid, specially being an Army brat...it had the whole rough, battle weary, adventerous and tough look about it, that one took an immediate liking to this great war movie! No wonder the jury is still out on who was the bigger villian in this Vietnam war.....

Now 'The Bridge on River Kwai' was first read by me as the novel, and although the novel had a sad ending the movie decided to have a much more victorious ending to the drama....but all in all a great movie that did full justice to the Novel. A must see for battle and war movie fans!

Thumbs up 'Life...WAS Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    More or less all the movies mentioned above are simply excellent, not seen all though.!

Heavy names coming though.. ….and my favorites: Schindler's list, The Godfather, Life is beautiful. Adding onto the list are my favorites: Philadelphia, Shakespeare in Love, A Beautiful Mind and many more actually!!
    ...Hmmm, Oh yeah thanks for mentioning;'Life is Beautiful'...because it was really a beautiful movie....I think anyone who watches it can walk away with a heart touched....doean't matter if it is matters on the Jew genocide, Nazism, romance or the simply attitude that drives your everyday thinking....everyone has something to relate to this movie and in their own whichever way!
    The message of the movie was simple (but delievered with such a punch) life is so precious, make the most of it...in everyway and everyday, even when the going is tough!!!
    LOVED that movie, (and sobbed like a teenager girl towards the end! :D )

You liked 'Philadelphia',Poonam? Hmmmm, it is sorta difficult to relate to a plight like that....at least for me....but hey, the movie was a critics delight, so I guess....

I think it was easy to draw parallels with 'A beautiful mind' and the recent 'The Aviator'....(Hollywood bosses just love a true life story packed and rehashed in a dramatic flavor!:rolleyes: )...but they can be compared for the ways both showed how a true genius could never chase away the inner demons! Good movies both... but hah, who cares for the visual (mis)interpretation of autobiographies, anyways! (But that's just me!)

Philadelphia!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]...
    You liked 'Philadelphia',Poonam? Hmmmm, it is sorta difficult to relate to a plight like that....at least for me....but hey, the movie was a critics delight, so I guess....
    [COLOR]
    The movies though primarily a means of entertainment but can do wonders to quiver the consciousness of the audience, at least for a while if not long lasting! And I guess Philadelphia had this extraordinary ability as much as the Schindler's List had! Even with its few slipups I think it still stands as an honest and thought provoking movie with a powerful story, sort of inducing a different perspective to the victims of the disease. And pointless to mention the groundbreaking performance of Hanks and Washington!

Life is Beautiful
    ...agree with you in toto..very touching and sweet movie...'Life WAS Beautiful'...!..

As Good as It Gets

Jack Nicholson....
    Helen Hunt....
    This movie allows life to present itself...Be offensive at a coffee shop, go to Baltimore for no real reason whatsoever, understand why someone really loves their dog, and the perception that sketching someone is a way of complimenting them should sink in!!...Act crazy, compulsive, and be so so so politically incorrect!!...At the same time, vitiate all of it by paying the woman you love the greatest compliment you can think of...It works because you mean it...This is the summon substance of who Mr Udall(Jack Nicholson) truly is!! He will always be this way too!!.....................................IMDB
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

Lean on Me.....Morgan Freeman

Its about a dedicated, but tyrannical, Joe Clark(Morgan Freeman) is appointed as principal of a decaying inner city school in NJ and he is determined to improve it.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds... Albert Einstien

My favorite movies are:

Tum bin
    Pyar to hona hi tha
    all movies of sunny deol (Action to Sunny ko hi aave)
    saher
    all movies of Ramu (Something different)

Thumbs up again thanx for such a nice thread

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    and the award for longest list goes to Rupender....bhai lage se tanne bengali film ghadi aachchi laage sein...

great list though....will print it out for my next trip to my pakistani video shop :D
    ya heheehe,, priti ,,, thanx 4 da award,,,,,,,,,,:p it seems 2 b a never end'n thread............:p ,,,u hv a gd eye 4 medas:D ,m a gr8t admirere of Sir Satyajeet ray n Shayam Benegal, wl its n't a story of 1 day...........I hv devoted my precious tm in da lst cpl of film festival, Indian n international both..........wl its a lng story, smdy I wl brief it.
    so whn da nxt list is cm'n out ????????
    9 need 2 wait.......here is da shrt list........:p
    Hollywood:-
    1...>>>...lost in translation
    2...>>>...pulp in fiction
    3...>>>...roman holiday
    4...>>>...rear window
    5...>>>...american beauty
    6...>>>...forest gump
    7...>>>...God father
    8...>>>...Benher
    9...>>>...metilda
    10...>>>...10 commandments

French:-
    1...>>>...la denterele
    2..>>>...beurmachau
    3..>>....my fav, seasom
    4..>>...God creared woman

German.....
    1...>>..paris texas
    2 ....>>.. wings of fire

Italian::....
    1...>>.. la luna
    2...>>>.. last emperror
    3...>>... the sleepin beauty
    4 ..>>.. my sone room
    5..>.......life is beautiful....................................

dats all 4 dis time.
    tk cr.
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Dear Friends,
    Priti also suggested that we should have review on books too. With all the replies I saw , I think I need to go out and see lot many movies, as I am feeling not being updated.:D

There is one book which I would like to suggest all my Jat friends to buy is ‘Unlimited Power’ by Anthony Robins. It’s a great book as it tell you that all your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.

Regards,
    VJ

Dear Friends,
    Priti also suggested that we should have review on books too. With all the replies I saw , I think I need to go out and see lot many movies, as I am feeling not being updated.:D

There is one book which I would like to suggest all my Jat friends to buy is ‘Unlimited Power’ by Anthony Robins. It’s a great book as it tell you that all your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.

Regards,
    VJ

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hello Folks

Just got an idea for starting this thread from 'reviews on books', and a discussion on Kubrick's movies. Lets have a discussion on good creative movies which we the jatlanders have liked...my definition of creative is something that has challenges commonplace knowledge or notions...

to start with some of my favourite movies:

kpax
    2001 space odyssey
    Dr. Strangelove
    Constant Gardener
    O brother where art thou
    Naach (where did this come from....i thought it was prettty creative:D )...

I dont think anyone mentioned 12 angry men. It's a 50s film about 12 jury members who are deciding a murder case. 11 of them believe the accused is guily..1 does not. the movie is shot in real time and follows the discussion of the 12 jurors. it was also made into a pankaj kapur movie called ek ruka hua faisla..haven't seen that yet

others on my fav list include

once upon a time in the west
    the good the bad and the ugly
    mackena's gold
    north by nothwest

i love movies about distorted reality..like the game and the truman show. m also a big fan of tarantino (have seen and reseen pulp fiction and kill bill2 lots of times!!) and ram gopal varma

for real life adventure nothing beats 'touching the void'. i normally hate documentaries but this one had me thinking for days.

Quote Originally Posted by amitdabas
    I dont think anyone mentioned 12 angry men. It's a 50s film about 12 jury members who are deciding a murder case. 11 of them believe the accused is guily..1 does not. the movie is shot in real time and follows the discussion of the 12 jurors. it was also made into a pankaj kapur movie called ek ruka hua faisla..haven't seen that yet.
    ...Yup, I did it the other way round...(saw 'Ek Ruka Hua Faisla'), haven't seen the original yet!
    And if the courtroom drama (and all that happens behind the scenes; things like how the jury is chosen, how it has to remain neutral/impartial, can also be quite devious in dealings...etc. etc.) kinda stuff moves you, then that has been wonderfully shown in a chillin' thriller called 'Runaway Jury'...a must see!

You are right Rupender, Paheli is not a remake of some borrowed western idea or flick...its a visual version of a folk tale (and thats why poonam's point of it being more indian than its competitors is valid). Also, Amol Palekar is no lobbyist i guess....he appears to be just a good old actor interested in making harmless cinema....and Black was a remake and very anglicised to be representing hindi cinema....oscars have many entries like that....there is nothing regional about it...isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by downtoearth
    poonam ji,,,, aap aali baat ghankhaari film mein fit bethey sey,,,,,,,, ,,, to me ,,,,,,jury comprising members of national film awards selection committee and other reputed cineastars found "paheli" special.....to many "black" was deserving,,,, but i think palekar outlobbied Lilla bhansali......and there was alreadya gr8 hollywood classy with the theme of black based on Helen Keller experiences...........aur shaayd paheli kissey ki remake na sey.........

actually I did watch Syriana and Constant Gardiner twice to make my sense of them :D , but there aren't many on which i would spend quite so much time.

Would love to continue with my thoughts on the world :D but think that might hijack this thread...to be honest its not many times that i get all flared up about the subject in question...it all gets a bit blurred in the reality that greed is the most basic amongst all other aspects of human nature....or maybe the whole system is setup to project that...and if sumit dahiya is reading this post...dont get me wrong....greed can lead to good things too like the developmental aspects of capitalism...

But I must confess I was also ready to pat myself on the back for being the catalyst that starting you off on a tangent on this one!....cause it made very interesting reading indeed! I am sure those who have read this post of yours must be equally intrigued (and yes, the Movie producers should be paying us for the PR and advertisment, no doubt! )...so maybe you wanna keep going on your thoughts there!?!

I will still try and catch those other movies you mentioned and who knows maybe wouldn't even need a second go at them to comprehend fully...LOL! Just Kidding!!!

...another one for the books...

...and I just have to mention that old classic 'Pakeezah' here too! What a wonderful movie,....you know, it was my father's fav movie...and watching it even now, a generation apart, I can just see why!... and can't help but marvel at this beautifully made and created movie of all times! Some films attain a classic status with their massive budgets and wonderful pageantry....'Mughaleazam' was one,...and this to me was the other...............

This movie 'Pakeezah' is so lavish in its treatment of a courtesan's (played by Meena Kumari) turbulent story, that its splendour fills the eye, stirs the senses and showcases the wonderful core at the center of the film. Kamal Amrohi is the movie maker here and he narrates the story (quite dipped I must say) with the despair and the euphoria of human desires, and you are caught up in the swirl of the visual cinemtography, and it's well....almost surreal setting! beautiful...is all that comes to mind!...
    Well, who can forget Raj Kumar's,"Aapke yeh paaon bahaut sundar hain...' dialouge, left as a romantic note at the heroine (sleeping blissfully) feet!?!...Classic....wonder how many of you have tried that with a woman??? LOL...nothing comes close to that original style, jaani!:rolleyes: ....

See it people, if you already haven't.......you will thank me for it!!!
    If Meena Kumari was not haunting in this movie, then nothing ever is or was............

deer hunter

Looks like Jit bhaisaab is fond of robert de niro. Would love to know your views on deer hunter...my initial impression was of it being a verrryyyyy long and slow movie (which it is) but its absolutely brilliant in terms of acting. its one of those movies in which how one changes due to experiences is shown immaculately. His raging bull was good too...

In fact, Col. Tevathia would like Deer Hunter too given his list of fav.movies...

Quote Originally Posted by cooljat
    Jat log,
    Im not that movie-buff but still I really admire some of these movies-

> Breaking Away
    > Rockstar
    > Terminator 2
    > Rocky series
    > Rembo 3
    > the Specialist
    > Pay beck
    > Ronin
    > the Professionals