Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative Movies of all Times

Loved this one....there's one of Jack Nicholson called 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'...recently copied by Salman Khan in his 'kyun ki' (or maybe i should say used as a background for the same bollywood song and drama sequence)....its one of the initial movies by nicholson...again very slow but nice work of acting...

Quote Originally Posted by chhillar
    Jack Nicholson....
    Helen Hunt....
    This movie allows life to present itself...Be offensive at a coffee shop, go to Baltimore for no real reason whatsoever, understand why someone really loves their dog, and the perception that sketching someone is a way of complimenting them should sink in!!...Act crazy, compulsive, and be so so so politically incorrect!!...At the same time, vitiate all of it by paying the woman you love the greatest compliment you can think of...It works because you mean it...This is the summon substance of who Mr Udall(Jack Nicholson) truly is!! He will always be this way too!!.....................................IMDB

Fight Club (english)

any views??

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Would love to continue with my thoughts on the world :D but think that might hijack this thread...to be honest its not many times that i get all flared up about the subject in question...it all gets a bit blurred in the reality that greed is the most basic amongst all other aspects of human nature....or maybe the whole system is setup to project that...and if sumit dahiya is reading this post...dont get me wrong....greed can lead to good things too like the developmental aspects of capitalism...
    You know, we all have a passionate side to us (related to our background, ethinicity...and training/feild of work etc),...and while I personally don't get too worked up with the whole 'what's up with this world' issue most of the times,...but I do totally understand that all our passion's are somewhat tied back to how this big bad world really works at it's most vicious core...and so really be it any field, subject, desires or beliefs; we all have our pet peeves!!!...
    You are right, the subject could easily escalate and become bigger than what we are discussing here (time-pass! yes..yes, Vinod, got it covered dude! ) ...so we shall leave that discussion for another day and time and take a rain check here!

ps. Watched the recent Nicholas Cage's 'Lord of War' yet? it kicks you too somewhere, in the same way, albeit presented in a different way and on a different subject...and the satire is unmistakeable!...watch it!
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

'Fight Club (English)', My five cents on it...

any views??
    [I thought it was really funny when you added (English) in there after the title!...Ah man, when will we learn in Bollywood, that we could actually strive to have a better act going!...]

Personally I thought the whole idea of the 'Fight Club' was very-very interesting...the whole dual identity going....we all are prey to it at times, are we not!?! (ok, maybe that is a pandora box, and I will leave it alone! LOL... )... and really on a more serious note: If one has been to an all boys schooling the subject of the movie is actually much more real than surreal...brawls, bullys and bashing (getting and giving); all 'b's are associated closely to you! Heh! Heh!...There is something so primaly cleansing to loosen that tie, roll up the sleeves and jump right into some pure fist-fighting and no-holds-barred action (the fact that you get hauled to the Principal's office afterwards, and mom never really appreciates that true complexity and badge of honor value of a torn shirt is besides the point)...it can be both exhilarating and degrading (the latter specially when all you ever saw of the action was a black eye and dirt! )...so I think the guy's here probably loved the subject...(and I too would be interested to know the women's take!)

I think this dude Edward Norton is just brilliant in this movie and have loved his; 'Italian Job', 'American History X', 'The score' (another Heist subject), 'Primal fear' etc. movies!...Don't get me wrong; Brad Pitt was simply awesome with his whole toned muscles look and the unrestrained crazy act but I think this guy Norton stole the show with his almost pyscho kinda acting in the movie.....

Wink Alright, can't have this buried...

Just bumping up a good thread...

Also, how about to make it even more interesting (and thoughtful; rather than rattling off all the movies one can think of) if we talk about the greatest/creative movies UNDER various categories: for example; The categories could be anything like- The best Sports, War, Western, Chick-Flick etc. etc. kinda Movie....???
    (I mean, one can even come up with their own category; like for example: the best Super Nerdy or Based on a Book Movie...:rolleyes: )

Lord of war was a great watch, i had seen it before syriana...in fact in some ways better than syriana...i wonder why nobody talked about it in the oscar line up this year....its definitely a different take and i liked it for its ending more than anything else....i expected the ending to be another sob story where the evil brings all bad things to the guy and family but it turned out to be more realistic than that....

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra

ps. Watched the recent Nicholas Cage's 'Lord of War' yet? it kicks you too somewhere, in the same way, albeit presented in a different way and on a different subject...and the satire is unmistakeable!...watch it!

hehehe...had to do the tagging otherwise might have got reviews of the desi bad copy.....

dont you think crash had some echoes of fight club....i'm making a very far fetched comparison but the whole thing in fightclub about leading a zombie life and wanting to hit somebody resonated in crash too...

[I thought it was really funny when you added (English) in there after the title!...Ah man, when will we learn in Bollywood, that we could actually strive to have a better act going!...]

Personally I thought the whole idea of the 'Fight Club' was very-very interesting...the whole dual identity going....we all are prey to it at times, are we not!?! (ok, maybe that is a pandora box, and I will leave it alone! LOL... )... and really on a more serious note: If one has been to an all boys schooling the subject of the movie is actually much more real than surreal...brawls, bullys and bashing (getting and giving); all 'b's are associated closely to you! Heh! Heh!...There is something so primaly cleansing to loosen that tie, roll up the sleeves and jump right into some pure fist-fighting and no-holds-barred action (the fact that you get hauled to the Principal's office afterwards, and mom never really appreciates that true complexity and badge of honor value of a torn shirt is besides the point)...it can be both exhilarating and degrading (the latter specially when all you ever saw of the action was a black eye and dirt! )...so I think the guy's here probably loved the subject...(and I too would be interested to know the women's take!)

I think this dude Edward Norton is just brilliant in this movie and have loved his; 'Italian Job', 'American History X', 'The score' (another Heist subject), 'Primal fear' etc. movies!...Don't get me wrong; Brad Pitt was simply awesome with his whole toned muscles look and the unrestrained crazy act but I think this guy Norton stole the show with his almost pyscho kinda acting in the movie.....

good idea.....lets start with haryanvi movies:D ....my favorite is laddo (it talks about female rights:D )

chick flick....ummmmmmmmm....charlie's angels???

Just bumping up a good thread...

Also, how about to make it even more interesting (and thoughtful; rather than rattling off all the movies one can think of) if we talk about the greatest/creative movies UNDER various categories: for example; The categories could be anything like- The best Sports, War, Western, Chick-Flick etc. etc. kinda Movie....???
    (I mean, one can even come up with their own category; like for example: the best Super Nerdy or Based on a Book Movie...:rolleyes: )

Smile

Hello! Preety Bebe
    ram ram,

Ya I like Robert De Nario very much so do I Al Pacino & Mel Gibson
    Well, as for Deer hunter, I had seen long back on TV....probably on star movies....it was really a gud movie.....very touchin,

Well, I'm remindin some more gud movies I've seen so far, will add to my list soon.

Take care

Rock on
    Jit

Looks like Jit bhaisaab is fond of robert de niro. Would love to know your views on deer hunter...my initial impression was of it being a verrryyyyy long and slow movie (which it is) but its absolutely brilliant in terms of acting. its one of those movies in which how one changes due to experiences is shown immaculately. His raging bull was good too...

In fact, Col. Tevathia would like Deer Hunter too given his list of fav.movies...
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

good idea.....lets start with haryanvi movies:D ....my favorite is laddo (it talks about female rights:D )

chick flick....ummmmmmmmm....charlie's angels???
    'Chandrawal'...[it was supposed to have boken all records at the Box office (Haryana and UP) as set by movies like 'Sholay' and 'Bobby' when it came out in those territories!]....

Chick flick: 'Nottinghill' and 'Serendipity' (yeah, you bet! :D I watched and loved each of these! ...even sobbed at some...Heh! Heh!)

How about best cartoon movie??? (Oh gosh man, I have so many I can write on...but that's why it's important I list only the best one by me)
    'Lion King'???

My 51 fav flicks

Chalo yaar, hamne socha ki hum kuchh likh dalte hein, so spent 10 min in remembering what I liked most...

-------------------
    The Lord of the Rings (I loved the book and movie is as good adaptation as it could be)
    Citizen Kane
    High Noon
    Lawrence of Arabia
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Godfather II
    Chinatown
    Midnight Cowboy
    North by Northwest
    Schindler’s List
    Shawshank Redemption
    Ben-hur
    Raging Bull
    All about Eve
    The Matrix (series)
    Blade-runner
    Star Wars series (A big fan I am, (Zedi style))
    2002 A Space Odyssey
    Singing in the Rain
    Gandhi (may be just because of Ben Kingsley's acting)
    One Flew over Cuckoo’s Nest
    The Sunset Boulevard
    Annie Hall
    Scent of Woman
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Searchers
    Dr. Strangelove
    Easy Rider
    Unforgiven
    The Deer Hunter
    Dances with Wolves
    Apocalypse Now (based on Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” –a great book)
    Titanic (I still don’t now why I love this one)
    Some Like it Hot
    The Wild Bunch
    Taxi Driver
    As Good as it Gets
    The Graduate
    The Sound of Music
    Westside Story
    The Bridge over River Kwai
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The English Patient
    Platoon
    Jaws
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Fargo
    Bonnie and Clyde
    From Here to Eternity
    Gladiator
    Doctor Zhivago

---------------------
    -vinod
    Last edited by vinodks; March 30th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Exclamation The best Costume Drama/Period/History Movie!

...Till my teens it would have been 'Ben-Hur' for a lack of a better one!!!...But man, now the field of choices is wide open!

I know we talked about 'Gladiator',....how about 'The Last Samurai' people? I had really enjoyed the intense portrayal by Tom Cruise in there....the whole samurai way of life was interesting and intriguing......
    Now 'Alexander' and 'Troy' were almost good too in a way, but they kind of fell to the edge of the roadside along the way!....

Animation Movies...

Yes, this being a topic near to the heart, I had to come back even after quoting: 'The Lion King' first...

I proffered that one as the best and most creative of the litter, because I strongly believe that the true art of animation/cartoon movies comes from the hand drawn, 2-D type of frame by frame animation!...(‘Lion King’, ‘Tarzan’, ‘Beauty and The beast’, ‘Cinderella’, ‘Snow white’, ‘Bambi’ etc etc.)....and when you start getting into the realm of 3-d computer animation....even the sky is not the limit...it just becomes unfair comparison!...

Also, it is sad to see Disney, after having been the leader for so many years and having created all those classics for children of all ages....to finally succumb to the pressures and now getting into the rat race of Computer Graphics themselves to somehow equal the gains made by the other studio’s (Pixar, Dreamworks and the others with their famous hits: ‘The Incredibles’, ‘Shark Tales’, ‘Finding Nemo’ etc.)…finally to come out with Disney's very own ‘Chicken Little’ now…

Anyways: that being my own personal pet peeve, I guess I understand one needs to change with the times and accept the inevitable (I mean Disney was losing money on their recent ‘Treasure Planet’, El-Dorado and ‘Atlantis’, hand-drawn 2-D animation movies…and can’t be expected to keep doing the same forever and go bankrupt finally!)…

Any thoughts???

ps. By the way: For the readers benifit: I am attaching my own short hand-drawn doodling with the animation field here....Very sketchily/rough done, it's on a Horse in motion, my favourite topic done a while back (yes, I dream of becoming a part of some animation movie when I grow up! LOL:D ) Click on it and enjoy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse-Animated.gif 
Views:	286 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1010  
    Last edited by shailendra; March 30th, 2006 at 10:36 PM.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Some more movies from my list....

1. SAHARA
    2. Cinderella Man
    3. Catch me if you can
    4. Munich
    5. Schindler’s List
    6. Cast Away
    7. The Lord of the Rings

Awesome man. How did you do that?... did you make sketch of all frames and then run... hamme bhi batao yaar kasse kiya jata hai ye sab... kaunsa software?

-vinod

ps. By the way: For the readers benifit: I am attaching my own short hand-drawn doodling with the animation field here....Very sketchily/rough done, it's on a Horse in motion, my favourite topic done a while back (yes, I dream of becoming a part of some animation movie when I grow up! LOL:D ) Click on it and enjoy...
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Welcome

:D good to see the sceptics here...something different i see in your post is Fargo and Bonnie and Clyde....do u know our desi bunty aur bubbly is a copy of bonnie and clyde...just with a happy ending......

Fargo ke baare mein kuchch bata dijiye ab.........i have almost forgotten what the story was except that there was this pregnant detective who did a brilliant job in tracking the murder(s).....

Dr.Strangelove was such a gimickry of the cold war...

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Chalo yaar, hamne socha ki hum kuchh likh dalte hein, so spent 10 min in remembering what I liked most...

-------------------
    The Lord of the Rings (I loved the book and movie is as good adaptation as it could be)
    Citizen Kane
    High Noon
    Lawrence of Arabia
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Godfather II
    Chinatown
    Midnight Cowboy
    North by Northwest
    Schindler’s List
    Shawshank Redemption
    Ben-hur
    Raging Bull
    All about Eve
    The Matrix (series)
    Blade-runner
    Star Wars series (A big fan I am, (Zedi style))
    2002 A Space Odyssey
    Singing in the Rain
    Gandhi (may be just because of Ben Kingsley's acting)
    One Flew over Cuckoo’s Nest
    The Sunset Boulevard
    Annie Hall
    Scent of Woman
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Searchers
    Dr. Strangelove
    Easy Rider
    Unforgiven
    The Deer Hunter
    Dances with Wolves
    Apocalypse Now (based on Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” –a great book)
    Titanic (I still don’t now why I love this one)
    Some Like it Hot
    The Wild Bunch
    Taxi Driver
    As Good as it Gets
    The Graduate
    The Sound of Music
    Westside Story
    The Bridge over River Kwai
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The English Patient
    Platoon
    Jaws
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Fargo
    Bonnie and Clyde
    From Here to Eternity
    Gladiator
    Doctor Zhivago

---------------------
    -vinod

Wow!! this is so natural...U DID THIS? how did u do it?

Amazing..........

I loved Lion King...saw it twice at one go.......and cried both times when simba's dad dies protecting him .......and loved the soundtrack too....

hey, by the way thanks for sharing your knowledge here....atleast i know the differentiation between real frame by frame animation and the computer graphics one.......am always for human talent than computer concoctions....

Yes, this being a topic near to the heart, I had to come back even after quoting: 'The Lion King' first...

I proffered that one as the best and most creative of the litter, because I strongly believe that the true art of animation/cartoon movies comes from the hand drawn, 2-D type of frame by frame animation!...(‘Lion King’, ‘Tarzan’, ‘Beauty and The beast’, ‘Cinderella’, ‘Snow white’, ‘Bambi’ etc etc.)....and when you start getting into the realm of 3-d computer animation....even the sky is not the limit...it just becomes unfair comparison!...

Also, it is sad to see Disney, after having been the leader for so many years and having created all those classics for children of all ages....to finally succumb to the pressures and now getting into the rat race of Computer Graphics themselves to somehow equal the gains made by the other studio’s (Pixar, Dreamworks and the others with their famous hits: ‘The Incredibles’, ‘Shark Tales’, ‘Finding Nemo’ etc.)…finally to come out with Disney's very own ‘Chicken Little’ now…

Anyways: that being my own personal pet peeve, I guess I understand one needs to change with the times and accept the inevitable (I mean Disney was losing money on their recent ‘Treasure Planet’, El-Dorado and ‘Atlantis’, hand-drawn 2-D animation movies…and can’t be expected to keep doing the same forever and go bankrupt finally!)…

Any thoughts???

Last edited by priti; March 31st, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

finding nemo

who made finding nemo...was it 2-D or 3-D? its probably my second best animation film after lion king....

Dora was hilarious dumb :D in it.....

Smile

who made finding nemo...was it 2-D or 3-D? its probably my second best animation film after lion king....

Dora was hilarious dumb :D in it.....
    i liked finding nemo, the colors n graphic details were very gud, n hey she was not dumb, she jst had dat short term memory loss(Anterograde amnesia.), i guess she was da best character of the movie.
    LeTz SpReAd ----JaTiSm-----
    --JaTiSm Is NoT A ReLiGiOn, ItZ StAtE oF MiNd--

Thumbs up Animation Program and Process...

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Awesome man. How did you do that?... did you make sketch of all frames and then run... hamme bhi batao yaar kasse kiya jata hai ye sab... kaunsa software?

-vinod
    Wow!! this is so natural...U DID THIS? how did u do it?

Amazing.......

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it....(seems like now I have a hope of making it there in animation when I do grow up!)...

Yes Vinod, it is a frame by frame sketch of each movement of the Horse, finally tweened (animation term for running it in a sequence) together...I think it was about 6-8 frames in all.... [and NO, I did not pickup the frames and ran with it to get the movement, Vinod!:D ] You can even see if you watch closely how some of the frames are unfinished on the rendering, and definitely all of them are very quick pen sketches by me (Also a huge thanks for the 'so natural' compliment, Priti. Well yes, I love drawing horses, can draw one in my sleep, and having studied their running movements etc...definitely helped) and so it was all just basically me trying to play with a new software that I had found and trying to take my sketching skills to the next level of actually adding movement to them....and really after that, didn't know what to do with it and haven't even bothered with it for some time now (it was done a while ago, and I only remembered it when talking about the animation movies here)

I first simply sketched them one sketch at a time on paper (trick is to also lay a tracing paper on top of the last one and draw the next with a slightly different movement, and then the next and so on...)...and then scanned all these sketches into my computer.

Now as to the software I had used: If you have ever used the software Adobe (Photoshop is also Adobe) then there is a program called Adobe ImageReady, when you click on it. That is the program I had used...
    It is a very-very basic dumbed down (for dummies:D ) animation program...and then if you ever wanna take the next leap up of a more serious stuff; then maybe you can think of the most popular Computer animation Program 'Flash'.

Anyways, long story short; that program helps you do all that tweening, assigning time to each frame, looping the frames together etc. BUT of course only once AFTER you have all the frames you want scanned in there and assigned them the sequence you want....

That Helps?

ps. BTW, here is something interesting I think: I did end up using this new found skill to create another more useful lil' animation, I am using at work now to educate folks about planning issues from time to time,....and seeing how you guys liked this one of the Horse, maybe in the next post will attach this other animation too with some discription about what it was all about,....So stay tuned and watch out for this space.....
    Last edited by shailendra; March 31st, 2006 at 08:21 AM.