Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative Movies of all Times

Creative Movies of all Times

Hello Folks

Just got an idea for starting this thread from 'reviews on books', and a discussion on Kubrick's movies. Lets have a discussion on good creative movies which we the jatlanders have liked...my definition of creative is something that has challenges commonplace knowledge or notions...

to start with some of my favourite movies:

kpax
    2001 space odyssey
    Dr. Strangelove
    Constant Gardener
    O brother where art thou
    Naach (where did this come from....i thought it was prettty creative:D )...

Quote Originally Posted by priti
    Hello Folks

Just got an idea for starting this thread from 'reviews on books', and a discussion on Kubrick's movies. Lets have a discussion on good creative movies which we the jatlanders have liked...my definition of creative is something that has challenges commonplace knowledge or notions...

kpax
    2001 space odyssey
    Dr. Strangelove
    Constant Gardener
    O brother where art thou
    The 'Godfather' series..... It would not be over exaggerating to say it changed the scape of movie making and stylized the art of cinema the world over, forever! even our own Filmakers are still reeling under it's influence! (that early:'Vidhata', 'Don',and now 'Sarkaar', 'D' etc. and the whole RGV camp, a point in making!)...
    This movie(s) from the very early 70's about the scilian mafia family is iconic and huge! (A hearty outbreak of Goosebums is what is fondly assiciated with it by everyone...) the sepia images, flashbacks, slow moving frames with packed and sudden moments of action....camera lingering on actors faces to catch every emotion (Al Pacino was never the same ever...) and the haunting music following each and every real and powerful images....man, I could go on and on................

My next huge favorite (and not in that particular order) on historic filmaking has to be 'Sholay'...but then that would be my next post....gotta run somewhere now...........
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

1. Sahab Biwi Ghulam
    2. Chaudvin Ka Chand
    3. Mother India
    4. Devdas

and many more Hindi movies...

RK^2

and i was wondering at what point 'sholay' would enter the discussion...made it pretty soon....its a great movie....guess the best movies are the ones in which every character is well defined and sholay is one such movie...

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra

My next huge favorite (and not in that particular order) on historic filmaking has to be 'Sholay'...but then that would be my next post....gotta run somewhere now...........

RKji, thanks for bringing the old hindi classics into the fold......mother india was superb but too idealistic...dont know about the rest...guess you're talking about the old devdas....the new one was full of overacting....

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar
    1. Sahab Biwi Ghulam
    2. Chaudvin Ka Chand
    3. Mother India
    4. Devdas

and many more Hindi movies...

RK^2

My fav. ones r
    Shawshank redemption
    Schindler's list
    Jaane bhi do yaaro

cheers n muuday

Cool sholay......was it really craetive or just a gud all time movie....? ?

and i was wondering at what point 'sholay' would enter the discussion...made it pretty soon....its a great movie....guess the best movies are the ones in which every character is well defined and sholay is one such movie...
    just before i wud say any thing just go and watch (1960s) THE MAGNIFICANT SEVEN...........where 7 cowboys fight dakoits & like later our veeru and jai of sholay(1975):eek: ........
    any way it(sholay) was a gr8 all time movie.......but i wont say that it was much creative when you see the western flick first......lol

now my kinda movies.......huge list but for the time being i cud only remember.......
    Schindler's list,
    the silence of the lambs,
    Taxi driver,
    Apocalypse now(1979),
    Se7en
    .........many more.....
    Keshav Dahiya
    www.dahiya.us

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    There are so many great movies in this world and I love all of them. Some worth mentioning are all the movies made by Martin Scorsese (he is my favourite director of all time), and rest are like:

Cidade De Deus (City of Gods, same director later made The Constant Gardener)
    American Beauty
    Stalag 17 (Best prison escape movie ever)
    Amadeus (a true masterpeice about the life of Mozart)
    Dog Day Afternoon (Pacino's best performance ever)
    Hair (my favourite muscial along with Cabaret)
    Le Femme Nikita (cool as hell)
    Annie Hall, Manhattan and Bullets over Broadway (all are Woody Allen's best movies)
    Leon (my fav. French movie)
    Unforgiven
    Chinatown
    Brazil
    Shining (Another scary as hell classic by Kubrick)
    Requiem For a Dream (scary but in a different way)

And I can go on and on if I dont pause, I highly recommend these movies to anyone who loves movies with a class and the art of making them.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Yeah Rahul !!! Shawshank redemption is really a great movie.

The Greatest Is....

Dear All,

The movies in which Dharmender stars are THE GREATEST. Just watched 'DHARAMVEER' the other day. Kai Oscar milne Chhahiyein thay... what a movie and what story

Raja ki Chhori ka Swayambar, Chhori gai shikar pe, sher mar diya, daku aage, pher Jwala ne bachai, pher Gandharv vivah, rat ne jo sher marya tha us aali sherni aa gi, Jawala ar sherni ki fight, Chhori behosh ar jab utthe se te uska byah ho se ek Raja gelyan, she tells Raja that she is pregnent, Raja accepts her, enter Chhori's brother (Jeevan), Chhori gives birth to two sons, ek ne thaa legyaa Jwala ka Falcon, ek bangya Raj kumar, Chhoryan ka Mama tries to exchange the Rajkumar with his own child but Mami changes it again, jo balak Falcon uthaa ke le gya tha vo ja pahunchya ek Luhar ke ar vo ban gya DHARMENDER....

Ar ya te sirf starting se... What creativity and what fun. No, there can be no greater creativity. Give whatever arguements you want, I will NEVER be convinced...

Regards,

JS Malik
    JAT BALWAN, JAI BHAGWAN

(Ein Volk - Ein Reich - Ein Fuhrer)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jagmohan For This Useful Post:

cooljat (October 20th, 2012)

RKji, thanks for bringing the old hindi classics into the fold......mother india was superb but too idealistic...dont know about the rest...guess you're talking about the old devdas....the new one was full of overacting....
    Yes I was talking about old Devdas. Dalip Kumar's acting was superb in the film. Role of Kanhaya Lal in Mother India as Moneylender was par excellence. And look at the picture of Raj Kumar and Nargis how magnificent they look...Can any present day heroine beat her?

RK^2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nargis2.bmp 
Views:	106 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	987  
    Last edited by rkumar; March 22nd, 2006 at 02:02 PM.

Thumbs up nd thread sey

priti,,,, thnx for such a good thread........... list ghani baddi sey,, , lakin chootii kar key likhu su,,,,,, lem me start frm ALAM ARA,,,,,,,,

1...>.... ALAM ARA was india`s first talkie film by mr , irani,,,,, in 1931, tickets were sold @ 5o in black :eek: :eek:
    2 ... mughal - ey - aajam
    3..>....boot polish
    4...>>... aah
    5 ... mother india
    6>>..... 2 beegha zammen
    7...>..1084 ki maa
    8..>>....calcatta 71
    9...>>... aagantuk
    10..>> garam hawa
    11....> ankur
    12..>>...manthan
    13...>>....mandi
    14 ..>>...aard satya
    15....>> ... thoda sa roomani ho jayein
    16..>>.....36 chowringhee lane
    17...>>> .. sholay
    18..>>>...aarth
    19...>> bazar
    20...>>....kaalpuruash {bengali}
    21...>>...waaris
    22..>>>...zubeida
    23...>>>.....saaraansh
    24...>>....shiva
    25....>>>> ... dev
    26...>>.,...parhaar
    27...>>> .. praitaghaat
    28...>>....saher
    29..>>..dev...
    30...khaamosh paani
    31...>>> hazaaroon khaaweishein aisi
    32.. pather paanchaali
    33,,>>..... rain coat.................

:p baaki ghanii ho li sey....... aur ghaniien reh bhi gayi sein:p
    I dont have personality,i am mere statistics.I used to be "downtoearth". Now this is my present name. Do i possess a name, a face ,an individuality ?:rolleyes:

Hello Folks

kpax
    2001 space odyssey
    Dr. Strangelove
    Constant Gardener
    O brother where art thou
    The Guide is my all time fav...Way ahead of his time...Had everything...Songs, Story and great performances.

And it wasn't a spin off from a Hollywood film......as most Indian movies generally are.
    "Mine is a peaceful religion, I will kill you if you insult it"

Chhorey iss list ka matlab sai ak ibbey tanne ghani CD deni sain mere tai????

:p baaki ghanii ho li sey....... aur ghaniien reh bhi gayi sein:p[/quote]
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Mother India,
    Naya Daur,
    Sholay,
    Damini,
    Hera Pheri(Comedy)

All the new movies released every friday are just wastage of time. But haven't seen Rang de...
    Suit the action to the word, the word to the action.

My all time favourites:

Lawaris
    Bobby
    Krantiveer
    Poorav-paschim
    Prem kahani
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Some More Additions into the List

1...>.... ALAM ARA was india`s first talkie film by mr , irani,,,,, in 1931, tickets were sold @ 5o in black :eek: :eek:
    3..>....boot polish
    4...>>... aah
    5 ... mother india
    6>>..... 2 beegha zammen
    7...>..1084 ki maa
    8..>>....calcatta 71
    9...>>... aagantuk
    10..>> garam hawa
    11....> ankur
    12..>>...manthan
    13...>>....mandi
    14 ..>>...aard satya
    15....>> ... thoda sa roomani ho jayein
    16..>>.....36 chowringhee lane
    17...>>> .. sholay
    18..>>>...aarth
    19...>> bazar
    20...>>....kaalpuruash {bengali}
    21...>>...waaris
    22..>>>...zubeida
    23...>>>.....saaraansh
    24...>>....shiva
    25....>>>> ... dev
    26...>>.,...parhaar
    27...>>> .. praitaghaat
    28...>>....saher
    29..>>..dev...
    30...khaamosh paani
    31...>>> hazaaroon khaaweishein aisi
    32.. pather paanchaali
    33,,>>..... rain coat.................
    34,....Aashtitva
    35...> Maine Gandhee Ko Nahee Mara
    36....> YugPrush
    37....> Shahr
    38....> Krantiveer
    39....> Subah Walee Gaddee
    40....> Zakham
    ~~ u never know where ur destiny takes u ~~

yeah, how can one forget Scorsese... it was pretty dissappointing when he didn't get the oscar for aviator...that reminds me of another good movie with leonardo in it...catch me if u can...

requim for a dream was a wonderfully sad movie...i thought the theme music in bluffmaster (whenever priyanka chopra came into the scene) was the same as requim for dream theme music...

A friend of mine had Le femme nkita...i thought it was some shady guy movie...maybe i should watch it...

Anyone saw Sin City and liked it??

Quote Originally Posted by sansanwalamit
    There are so many great movies in this world and I love all of them. Some worth mentioning are all the movies made by Martin Scorsese (he is my favourite director of all time), and rest are like:

Cidade De Deus (City of Gods, same director later made The Constant Gardener)
    American Beauty
    Stalag 17 (Best prison escape movie ever)
    Amadeus (a true masterpeice about the life of Mozart)
    Dog Day Afternoon (Pacino's best performance ever)
    Hair (my favourite muscial along with Cabaret)
    Le Femme Nikita (cool as hell)
    Annie Hall, Manhattan and Bullets over Broadway (all are Woody Allen's best movies)
    Leon (my fav. French movie)
    Unforgiven
    Chinatown
    Brazil
    Shining (Another scary as hell classic by Kubrick)
    Requiem For a Dream (scary but in a different way)

And I can go on and on if I dont pause, I highly recommend these movies to anyone who loves movies with a class and the art of making them.

anyone who's seen any classic western flick can tell that sholay is atleast 'inspired' by them, actually creative is quite a tricky word so i later i thought better not to be fixed upon it and let the thread flow...

schindler's list is a superb movie...

For the romantics...'life is beautiful' is beautiful....

Quote Originally Posted by keshavdahiya
    just before i wud say any thing just go and watch (1960s) THE MAGNIFICANT SEVEN...........where 7 cowboys fight dakoits & like later our veeru and jai of sholay(1975):eek: ........
    any way it(sholay) was a gr8 all time movie.......but i wont say that it was much creative when you see the western flick first......lol

now my kinda movies.......huge list but for the time being i cud only remember.......
    Schindler's list,
    the silence of the lambs,
    Taxi driver,
    Apocalypse now(1979),
    Se7en
    .........many more.....

and the award for longest list goes to Rupender....bhai lage se tanne bengali film ghadi aachchi laage sein...

great list though....will print it out for my next trip to my pakistani video shop :D

Quote Originally Posted by downtoearth
    priti,,,, thnx for such a good thread........... list ghani baddi sey,, , lakin chootii kar key likhu su,,,,,, lem me start frm ALAM ARA,,,,,,,,

3..>....boot polish
    4...>>... aah
    5 ... mother india
    6>>..... 2 beegha zammen
    7...>..1084 ki maa
    8..>>....calcatta 71
    9...>>... aagantuk
    10..>> garam hawa
    11....> ankur
    12..>>...manthan
    13...>>....mandi