Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

I have been successfully using Hindi language on this site, though on a trial basis. The best example of this is my thread दादा बस्तीराम की जुबान से (Time Pass Forum) and also Dev Dahiya’s thread Ghar Ke Bheddi in the same forum, where I have presented his few poems in Hindi. However, some of you who do not have WindowsXP PCs, may be facing difficulty in watching Devanagri script on Jatland.

In India, there are a few sets of Devanagari software programmes developed successfully by various programmers/ firms. Most notable is “Leap Office” and “Aksara XP”. But these programmes do not fit into web browsers and sending communications via e-mail etc.

Very few users know that WindowsXP Operating System contains Devanagri fonts which are useful for watching and posting Hindi/ Sanskrit/ Marathi texts on the Internet. I am explaining below the method how to extract the fonts and how interested members can form Hindi letters (though not as efficiently as one can do using a traditional Hindi keyboard of ‘Godrej’ settings).

In WindowsXP :

Step 1

- Press ‘Start’ and then go to ‘Control Panel’

- In ‘Control Panel’ double-click the icon “Regional and Language Options”. A separate window will appear.

- Check option “Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)”. Press “Apply” and then “OK”.

Fonts will be extracted.

Step 2

- Go to “Control Panel” – “Regional and Language Options”. A tiny window titled “Text Services and Input Languages” will appear. Press “Languages” and then press button “Details”. A mini window will appear.

- Click “Advanced” and check the box “Extend support of advanced text services to all programs”. Then “Apply”

- After this step, again (in the same mini window), press “settings”.

- In a box, you will find the word “Keyboard”. Click it and press “Add”. A mini window “Add Input Language” will appear.

- Under Keyboard layout/IME, press ‘down’ arrow button. A list of languages will appear.

- Choose ‘Hindi traditional’ or ‘Devanagari Inscript’. Then ‘OK’ and ‘Apply’. Either on ‘Desktop’ or in ‘Taskbar’, a small icon of languages will be created.

- Close all windows.

To test whether Hindi fonts have been extracted, go to ‘Control Panel’ and then ‘Fonts’ folder. There, find out whether font file ‘Mangal’ exists or not.

To test Hindi typing, open ‘wordpad’ programme. Click the ‘language’ button in taskbar and choose the language ‘Hindi traditional’ or ‘Devanagari Inscript’ as the case may be.

Start typing from letter 1-2-3-4-5-6- and q-w-e-r-t-y-u-i-o-p etc: Following text will appear:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - ृ ौ ै ा ी ू ब ह ग द ज ड ़ ॉ ो े ् ि ु प र क त च ट ं म न व ल स , . य

In the second step, put your left-hand thumb on the ‘Shift’ key and start typing with a left hand finger in the same method, starting from ‘1”. The following text will appear:

ऍ ॅ ्र र् ज्ञ त्र क्ष श्र ( ) ः ऋ औ ऐ आ ई ऊ भ ङ घ ध झ ढ ञ ऑ ओ ए अ इ उ फ ऱ ख थ छ ठ ँ ण ळ श ष । य़

So, it will not be a Hindi keyboard as we have our standard ‘Godrej’ in India. Now, it is up to you to make out a few Hindi words by “cut & paste” method on the Wordpad or MS-Word. For this, one should have a good knowledge of Devanagri alphanets, half-forms, and dots etc. A Sanskrit-knowing person would be more perfect in this job as his knowledge of Devanagari letter-formatting is naturally more accurate.

Users of Window98/ME/2000 etc. :

As explained above, after extracting Hindi fonts on a WindowsXP PC, open the “Control Panel” and “Fonts” folder. From there, copy the font file ‘Mangal’ on a floppy disk or any other external device. It is a short file (140 KB).

Then, copy this file to other computer (with OP Windows98 etc.) in Control Panel/Fonts. Restart the computer. In this way, you would be able to watch Hindi text at least on Jatland site.

Last edited by dndeswal; March 26th, 2006 at 03:17 AM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

Thanks Deswal ji, It is a great piece of info...thanks for taking pains in explaining in Details.
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Thanks !

Deswal sir thanks very much for the information. You have done a great job.
    I got Hindi in my PC today and I am very happy.
    Soon I will post some stuff in Hindi as well.

Thanks very much again.
    जाट महान
    ----------
    बेगानों में वफ़ा की तलाश ना कर ‘साहिल’,
    तेरे तो अपने भी अक्सर बेवफा निकलते हैं l

very good deswal sir hindi premiyo ko ish se achhi bheth kya hogi
    Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less rascal in the world
    SUBHASH DHAYAL

What can be done to work in Hindi in Linux. Though there is an option of selecting regional language as Hindi, the display is not proper. Also
    the web browsers (Mozilla & Mozilla firefox) on linux (redhat fedora core 2), do not display Hindi fonts properly at least on my machine. Even in window, mozilla firefox doesn't displays the hindi fonts though I have Installed the true type fonts on the machine. Can any body help???
    shalini

Further tips

There is considerable enthusiasm among members to post something in Hindi. Some have made sincere efforts in the last few days. I have been successfully using Hindi in my posts. There are many posts by me which are only in Hindi, the latest being my short play Kissa-e Maham-Chaubissi . [Here is the summary of some of the software programmes which can be downloaded for use of Hindi. Some programmes have been suggested by various members, I am compiling them at one place for easy reference, quoting my own experience with those.

(i) The website of Department of Information Technology provides free software for use of Hindi on various Windows based programmes. If one downloads this on PC, then various menus in MS-Words etc. would be converted in Hindi and file names would be able to be saved in Hindi. I have tested it but later uninstalled from the machine because of some irritants which occur. But those who are IT experts, can well solve these petty irritants. The Links is: http://www.ildc.gov.in

(ii) The following site of ‘Tavultesoft’ provides freeware software by which the keyboard can be used to type Hindi in Wordpad and then pasted on MS-Word etc. This system is called “Transliteration’ i.e. you type Hindi in Roman script and Hindi text will appear in Devanagari script. I am using this programme now-a-days. It is fully compatible, using ‘Mangal’ font, which is part of Windows XP system. Just try – wonderful. Here is the link:

http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/downloads/keyboards/

(iii) ‘Braha’ is an Indian software, completely free. This also uses ‘Transliteration’ system : http://www.baraha.com/baraha70.htm . Excellent !

(iv) One more link for ‘Transliteration’ system – not bad, just try. http://www.iit.edu/~laksvij/language/hindi.html

(v) Those who want to write a few words in Hindi with the help of a mouse, can go to the following website (no need to download any programme). This also works on ‘Shusha’ fonts: Font ‘Mangal’ is also used and it can be used for posting material on web: http://www.geocities.com/matthewblac...ndiEditor.html

(vi) The following web link provides Hindi ‘Shusha Fonts’. No comments, but just have a look:
    http://www.abhivyakti-hindi.org/abhi...ts_dl_help.htm

(vii) And finally, the following link:

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80%C2%A4%C2%AE%C3%A0%C2%A4%C2%A5%C3%A0%C2%A5%C 2%81%C3%A0%C2%A4%C2%B0%C3%A0%C2%A4%C2%BE

I am myself not an expert in IT – only a novice, but experience counts - am using Hindi successfully on this site. Depends how much interest one takes.

Last edited by dndeswal; April 21st, 2006 at 02:42 AM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

thanks dayanand ji.............................
    Men may come and men may go, but I go on forever

Font "Mangal" - free download

Further to my post above. Font 'Mangal' is also available for free download from the following Internet Link:

http://vedantijeevan.com:9700/font.htm

तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

I Tried but it asked for XP CD which i have dont have
    सच्चे शब्दों में सच के अहसास लिखेंगे ...
    वक्त पढे जिसको कुछ इतना खास लिखेंगे...
    गीत गजल हम पर लिखेंगे लिखने वाले...
    हमने कलम उठाइ, तो इतिहास लिखेंगे...!!

Quote Originally Posted by desijat
    I Tried but it asked for XP CD which i have dont have
    Do you have I386 folder in your C or D drive? specify the path to that folder while installing the fonts.

Lightbulb

Thank You Sir
    I'm sometimes too frank for polite correspondence. This sometimes irks people, so I apologize in advance -- my intentions are always to be clear, not curt.

Why , How , Where - It's in my nature.

पढ़्ये-ओड़ तैं कढ़्या-ओड़ स्याणा हो सै

भांग रगड़ क पिया करूँ , मैं कुण्डी सोट्टे आला सुं !!

Deswalji, thats good but relation between english keys board and devnagri is not straightforward... eg. a does represent hindi "a"... its hard to memorize this relation to type... I remember that Shusha has more direct relan.. so I have saved shusha in windows/fonts folder but and I can write in wrod file... but I don't know how do I use shusha in Jatland becuz that fornt doesn't appear in the list of languages in control/regional language option/languages/details/add procedure...

anyone?

कै करू?

-Vinod
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Quote Originally Posted by vinodks
    Deswalji, thats good but relation between english keys board and devnagri is not straightforward... eg. a does represent hindi "a"... its hard to memorize this relation to type... I remember that Shusha has more direct relan.. so I have saved shusha in windows/fonts folder but and I can write in wrod file... but I don't know how do I use shusha in Jatland becuz that fornt doesn't appear in the list of languages in control/regional language option/languages/details/add procedure...

anyone?

कै करू?

-Vinod
    This requires a little practice. I am using the keyboard method after downloading from the following site:

After downloading the above programme, an icon is created in the task bar (right bottom of your monitor) from where language can be chosen. After choosing "Hindi Keyboard Beta" if you type your name 'vinoda', it will appear विनोद in Devanagri. The text should be typed in 'Wordpad' and then copied in MS word or in the browser.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

Deswalji,

I found baraha program very simple and cute. Its also good for emails and posts in devnagri. You just have to install in your comp and write message in the wondow in program then just copy devnagri message and paste it wherever you want. the correspondence between english keyboard and hindi letter is very direct and simple to remember. E.g. I just wrote a message

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...9857#post99857

It can be downloaded from www.baraha.com, click on devnagri and install.

-vinod

Quote Originally Posted by dndeswal
    This requires a little practice. I am using the keyboard method after downloading from the following site:

After downloading the above programme, an icon is created in the task bar (right bottom of your monitor) from where language can be chosen. After choosing "Hindi Keyboard Beta" if you type your name 'vinoda', it will appear विनोद in Devanagri. The text should be typed in 'Wordpad' and then copied in MS word or in the browser.
    It may be that universal history is the history of the different intonations given to a handful of metaphors. -J L Borges

Deswalji,

I found baraha program very simple and cute. Its also good for emails and posts in devnagri. You just have to install in your comp and write message in the wondow in program then just copy devnagri message and paste it wherever you want. the correspondence between english keyboard and hindi letter is very direct and simple to remember. E.g. I just wrote a message

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...9857#post99857

It can be downloaded from www.baraha.com, click on devnagri and install.

-vinod
    This tool is great.............

lalit nashier
    I'm sometimes too frank for polite correspondence. This sometimes irks people, so I apologize in advance -- my intentions are always to be clear, not curt.

Why , How , Where - It's in my nature.

पढ़्ये-ओड़ तैं कढ़्या-ओड़ स्याणा हो सै

भांग रगड़ क पिया करूँ , मैं कुण्डी सोट्टे आला सुं !!

मोडरेटर साहब, जब मै कोई भी पोस्ट लिखता हूं तो अडिटर विन्डो में फ़ोंट साइज़ बडा करने का आपश्न नही आता ।
    जैसे इस पोस्ट का फ़ोन्ट कितना छोटा है । क्रप्या बताइये क्या करु ?

विनोद

मोडरेटर साहब, जब मै कोई भी पोस्ट लिखता हूं तो अडिटर विन्डो में फ़ोंट साइज़ बडा करने का आपश्न नही आता ।
    जैसे इस पोस्ट का फ़ोन्ट कितना छोटा है । क्रप्या बताइये क्या करु ?

विनोद
    बिलकुल आता है भाई । पहले 'EDIT' बटन दबाइये और उसके बाद 'GO ADVANCED' । फिर जैसे मर्जी संशोधित करो अपने लिखे हुए को ।

एक तरीका और भी है - यदि text ज्यादा लम्बा न हो तो 'Braha Direct' द्वारा ब्राउजर पर सीधा भी टाइप किया जा सकता है ।
    Last edited by dndeswal; July 8th, 2006 at 02:24 AM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dndeswal For This Useful Post:

sunillore (June 25th, 2012)

Deshwal ji, I did that lekin us mein bhi font size ka option nahi aata... jasse mane screen shot ka photu attach kiya hai... esma kahan se font size change karoon?... aut different fonts, like ariel, aur color kasse edit karon?... Ek aur question, how can one paste picture in message area?... eg. S K tewatiaji pastes screenshot messages like this in post itself.. http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15705

-vinod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jatland.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1346  

There is simple technique. Go to the following URL address

http://www.chhahari.com/unicode/

You get a hindi unicode type writer. Type on it you desire and copy paste where you need hindi matter.
    Laxman Burdak

Popularity of 'Mangal' font

The popularity of ‘Mangal’ font is proved by the fact that the largest Hindi daily “Jagran” (http://www.jagran.com ) which earlier used its own font, has switched over to ‘Mangal’. Hindi service of BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/) is already using this font.

Hindi is now widely used in Jatland forums, including Wiki pages. Both Haryanavi and Rajasthani dictionary are now bilingual – so is Jat Gotras page. More material would be added in Haryanavi Folk Lore and Haryanavi Language Idioms and Phrases.

Those of you who have earlier versions of windows (Win98, ME, Win2000 etc.) may download Mangal font so that you may enjoy Hindi posts at Jatland. There are several sites for free download – see earlier posts in this thread. Windows XP already contains this font and let us see what is in store when new version of Windows ‘Vista’ captures PCs in 2007.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय