Thread: Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

Tips for use of Hindi on your computer

I have been successfully using Hindi language on this site, though on a trial basis. The best example of this is my thread दादा बस्तीराम की जुबान से (Time Pass Forum) and also Dev Dahiya’s thread Ghar Ke Bheddi in the same forum, where I have presented his few poems in Hindi. However, some of you who do not have WindowsXP PCs, may be facing difficulty in watching Devanagri script on Jatland.

In India, there are a few sets of Devanagari software programmes developed successfully by various programmers/ firms. Most notable is “Leap Office” and “Aksara XP”. But these programmes do not fit into web browsers and sending communications via e-mail etc.

Very few users know that WindowsXP Operating System contains Devanagri fonts which are useful for watching and posting Hindi/ Sanskrit/ Marathi texts on the Internet. I am explaining below the method how to extract the fonts and how interested members can form Hindi letters (though not as efficiently as one can do using a traditional Hindi keyboard of ‘Godrej’ settings).

In WindowsXP :

Step 1

- Press ‘Start’ and then go to ‘Control Panel’

- In ‘Control Panel’ double-click the icon “Regional and Language Options”. A separate window will appear.

- Check option “Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)”. Press “Apply” and then “OK”.

Fonts will be extracted.

Step 2

- Go to “Control Panel” – “Regional and Language Options”. A tiny window titled “Text Services and Input Languages” will appear. Press “Languages” and then press button “Details”. A mini window will appear.

- Click “Advanced” and check the box “Extend support of advanced text services to all programs”. Then “Apply”

- After this step, again (in the same mini window), press “settings”.

- In a box, you will find the word “Keyboard”. Click it and press “Add”. A mini window “Add Input Language” will appear.

- Under Keyboard layout/IME, press ‘down’ arrow button. A list of languages will appear.

- Choose ‘Hindi traditional’ or ‘Devanagari Inscript’. Then ‘OK’ and ‘Apply’. Either on ‘Desktop’ or in ‘Taskbar’, a small icon of languages will be created.

- Close all windows.

To test whether Hindi fonts have been extracted, go to ‘Control Panel’ and then ‘Fonts’ folder. There, find out whether font file ‘Mangal’ exists or not.

To test Hindi typing, open ‘wordpad’ programme. Click the ‘language’ button in taskbar and choose the language ‘Hindi traditional’ or ‘Devanagari Inscript’ as the case may be.

Start typing from letter 1-2-3-4-5-6- and q-w-e-r-t-y-u-i-o-p etc: Following text will appear:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - ृ ौ ै ा ी ू ब ह ग द ज ड ़ ॉ ो े ् ि ु प र क त च ट ं म न व ल स , . य

In the second step, put your left-hand thumb on the ‘Shift’ key and start typing with a left hand finger in the same method, starting from ‘1”. The following text will appear:

ऍ ॅ ्र र् ज्ञ त्र क्ष श्र ( ) ः ऋ औ ऐ आ ई ऊ भ ङ घ ध झ ढ ञ ऑ ओ ए अ इ उ फ ऱ ख थ छ ठ ँ ण ळ श ष । य़

So, it will not be a Hindi keyboard as we have our standard ‘Godrej’ in India. Now, it is up to you to make out a few Hindi words by “cut & paste” method on the Wordpad or MS-Word. For this, one should have a good knowledge of Devanagri alphanets, half-forms, and dots etc. A Sanskrit-knowing person would be more perfect in this job as his knowledge of Devanagari letter-formatting is naturally more accurate.

Users of Window98/ME/2000 etc. :

As explained above, after extracting Hindi fonts on a WindowsXP PC, open the “Control Panel” and “Fonts” folder. From there, copy the font file ‘Mangal’ on a floppy disk or any other external device. It is a short file (140 KB).

Then, copy this file to other computer (with OP Windows98 etc.) in Control Panel/Fonts. Restart the computer. In this way, you would be able to watch Hindi text at least on Jatland site.

Last edited by dndeswal; March 26th, 2006 at 03:17 AM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय