Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why use Apple...? ?

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    I thought apples were good for Iron and having one day kept the docs away, didnt know they could do so much

Windows support....for whom?

Found this article about boot camp software in Windows IT Pro magazine....

Apple Computer tore down the electronic walls, so speak, that were keeping Windows from running on Mac hardware: Apple released a beta version of its Boot Camp software, which lets Intel-based Mac users dual boot between Windows XP and Mac OS X on the same machine. Taken at face value, these developments seem to indicate a new era of detente between Microsoft and its OS rivals. However, the more I've explored these changes, the more I realize that they change nothing, especially for businesses.

Apple's decision to support dual-booting between Windows and Mac OS X was met by immediate jubilation and horror, depending on the crowd. But again, this announcement doesn't really mean much to enterprise customers. That's because Apple is refusing to support Windows on a Mac. Users can download the Boot Camp software, install it, configure their Mac, and then install XP. But if anything goes wrong with Windows, you're on your own.

The Apple solution appears to work quite well. But the term "no support" should logically send up all kinds of warning signals to IT. You'd have to be a particular kind of crazy to send your employees out the door with unsupported systems, no matter how beautiful that hardware might be. And let's face it, Apple doesn't exactly understand enterprise pricing as it is.

The problem here, of course, is that Apple isn't targeting businesses and likely never will. The company is experiencing a Renaissance thanks to its iPod portable music players and clever marketing. It sells products in shopping malls. It targets teen-agers, women, and college students. And you know what? It's doing quite well, thank you very much. It's just that businesses need not apply.