Thread: Does Tofu/Soy reduce mens' fertility

Does Tofu/Soy reduce mens' fertility

I have read it and heard it in several places.

Soy beans have an active ingredient known as isoflavones, that has estrogen like properties. It slows muscle growth and reduces sperm count among men.

I would like other knowledgeable members to shed more light on this one.

I am a very voracious meat eater. My day starts with a pound of beef with barbeque sauce and ends with three to four whole chicken breasts. I have seen amazing results. My bench presses have more than doubled and I feel really active and energetic.

I never saw this difference when I briefly used soy protein.

completly bull$#it!!

Tofu n soya products r the main alternative to protien reach Non-veg!
    I think it ridiculous where did u got this info bro?

Rock on
    Jit
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Hey Jit Bhai!

Its not the proteing component of soy that is harmful to us men, but it is the isoflavones that has estrogen like properties. It slows muscle growth and reduces sperm count.

So basically isoflavones revereses the good effects of protein.

y not keep a mix

it wud better to keep a mix of all protein sources firstly for any harmful efecet if any do occcur nd also for muscle growth .
    same monotonus sorce is not gud ...a bag of mix sources shud b taken

for techi of this estrogen nd all i invite ponam mam as she is of this field(i guess genomics)

also must include whey protein nahin to yuhi hi had ghas jayeneg growth kuch khas naho hogi
    Last edited by vikaskundu; April 12th, 2006 at 03:08 AM.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Whey Protein is a better substitue.....and Tofu/Soya products taste like cardboard anyways, I am not a big fan .....I didnt know I was doing myself so good ........God bless my coming generations

Lightbulb

Hey Vikas…Don’t understand why you thought of me while talking of Estrogen... ...LOL..Just Kidding!..:D This not related to my field dear! But I did a quick lit. search since I myself was curious to know more about it. Let me write a brief blurb here for those who are interested:

The isoflavins are the chemicals present in plant and are actually plant estrogens or phytoestrogens having a chemical structure close to estrogens.

Whatever Sumit has mentioned above about isoflavins is unclear till date since all the research done on isoflavins has shown conflicting results.

Some animal studies suggest that these substances may help maintain bone strength and inhibit certain cancers. Other studies suggest that it isn't the isoflavones—but something else in soy that provides these benefits. And then there have been other studies into various proposed health benefits of soy or soy compounds that have not found a positive effect. Some research has found that the isoflavones may inhibit thyroid function. But no one knows how these animal and test tube studies relate to humans.

Though theories about what they do are speculative, isoflavones have potentially contradictory effects. They can act both as estrogens and as anti-estrogens.

Exactly what effect concentrated isoflavones have remains unclear. And that's a concern.

Another problem, hardly ever discussed, is the variable amounts of isoflavones in soy supplements, and how these differ from the levels in soy foods. The amounts of isoflavones listed for some pills are so small as to probably have no effects at all. But the pills may contain much more, or much less, than the label states, since there's no regulation. In any case, no one knows how much you would need to get a benefit, if there is one, and how much would be too much.

In a nut shell, at this point of time its hard to say that the soya consumption is for better or worse?

Eat healthy Stay healthy!!

P.S. Thanks for the invitation Vikas..

Quote Originally Posted by vikaskundu
    it wud better to keep a mix of all protein sources firstly for any harmful efecet if any do occcur nd also for muscle growth .
    same monotonus sorce is not gud ...a bag of mix sources shud b taken

for techi of this estrogen nd all i invite ponam mam as she is of this field(i guess genomics)
    also must include whey protein nahin to yuhi hi had ghas jayeneg growth kuch khas naho hogi

Ohh Gosh!

You have left me deeper in the worm whole. I am even more confused than I was before. I had rather not consume and soy at all and be on the safer side.

I will miss soy milk.

Quote Originally Posted by poonam
    Hey Vikas…Don’t understand why you thought of me while talking of Estrogen... ...LOL..Just Kidding!..:D This not related to my field dear! But I did a quick lit. search since I myself was curious to know more about it. Let me write a brief blurb here for those who are interested:

The isoflavins are the chemicals present in plant and are actually plant estrogens or phytoestrogens having a chemical structure close to estrogens.

Whatever Sumit has mentioned above about isoflavins is unclear till date since all the research done on isoflavins has shown conflicting results.

Some animal studies suggest that these substances may help maintain bone strength and inhibit certain cancers. Other studies suggest that it isn't the isoflavones—but something else in soy that provides these benefits. And then there have been other studies into various proposed health benefits of soy or soy compounds that have not found a positive effect. Some research has found that the isoflavones may inhibit thyroid function. But no one knows how these animal and test tube studies relate to humans.

Though theories about what they do are speculative, isoflavones have potentially contradictory effects. They can act both as estrogens and as anti-estrogens.

Exactly what effect concentrated isoflavones have remains unclear. And that's a concern.

Another problem, hardly ever discussed, is the variable amounts of isoflavones in soy supplements, and how these differ from the levels in soy foods. The amounts of isoflavones listed for some pills are so small as to probably have no effects at all. But the pills may contain much more, or much less, than the label states, since there's no regulation. In any case, no one knows how much you would need to get a benefit, if there is one, and how much would be too much.

In a nut shell, at this point of time its hard to say that the soya consumption is for better or worse?

Eat healthy Stay healthy!!

P.S. Thanks for the invitation Vikas..

nue soch soch kai ar calorie count kar kai khaan laag ge tai, saari jindgi calori ke maths mai likad jagi.

Bhayio jo mann kare, khao piyo ar mahnet karo. Koi dikkat nhi aani !
    My way or my way ?

Thumbs up

Agreed to u bro!

Rock on
    Jit

Quote Originally Posted by gaganjat
    nue soch soch kai ar calorie count kar kai khaan laag ge tai, saari jindgi calori ke maths mai likad jagi.

Bhayio jo mann kare, khao piyo ar mahnet karo. Koi dikkat nhi aani !
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

"""soya products and male fertility"

Quote Originally Posted by dahiyarules
    I have read it and heard it in several places.

Soy beans have an active ingredient known as isoflavones, that has estrogen like properties. It slows muscle growth and reduces sperm count among men.

I would like other knowledgeable members to shed more light on this one.

I am a very voracious meat eater. My day starts with a pound of beef with barbeque sauce and ends with three to four whole chicken breasts. I have seen amazing results. My bench presses have more than doubled and I feel really active and energetic.

I never saw this difference when I briefly used soy protein.
    Dear Sumit- please search above topic through google search. Un ending list of information is available.

arre mere yaar!!

Arrre Sumit yaar,
    tu tae issa laage hai, mera bhi soy milk band karwaega.

Ib tae soy milk dekhte hi tera post dhyaan main aata hai, datt jaa kasai, paanh ne tek le dharte pai. band karde ise post mere yaar. hahaha....

Anyway, keep posting all your new experiments on health.

Rajiv

Well! I heard not all soy products are rich in Isoflavones. But I still wont want to take chances.

I think it wont hurt as much if you consume soy products occaionally.

Quote Originally Posted by rajivshokeen
    Arrre Sumit yaar,
    tu tae issa laage hai, mera bhi soy milk band karwaega.

Ib tae soy milk dekhte hi tera post dhyaan main aata hai, datt jaa kasai, paanh ne tek le dharte pai. band karde ise post mere yaar. hahaha....

Anyway, keep posting all your new experiments on health.

Rajiv

ya thread toh isi ched dee jaise musalmano ke mohalle me polio ki dawa pilane wale pahunch ge hon.