Thread: BCCI plans to boost other sports..

BCCI plans to boost other sports..

Recently,we have seen many new initiatives in indian cricket.Now,BCCI has decided to set up a corpus fund worth Rs50 crore to boost budding talents in the under-15 age group in various sports.The BCCI will pick the No.1 in the under-15 age group and help them in training in India and abroad.

The working body of indian cricket is planning to incorporate many dynamic changes like,a hike in monthly pensions for former players, plans to boost support to other sports etc. This is good for sports especially games of low profiles than cricket.

That is Good News

That is a very good news for Indian Sports. There would however be some problems in implementing these policies. Most of them would be associated with the power politics rather than sport itself.

The first problem I visualize is the control of such talents. We have governing bodies for all the sports under IAAF. The BCCI would like to control these bodies if it is funding them. That would clash with the officials of the governing bodies who themselves have their own agenda, which specifically may not be related to sports.

Further, there would be pull and pushes to promote specific athletes as well.

One way BCCI could take a bigger challenge, is by donating this money to the sports ministary, and sports ministary in response to this could give a transparent balance sheet to the nation about how the money had been spent.

I think it was during 1932 or 36 olympics, that US came to the international scene as a force in the sports field. That was due to US government giving the charge to develop these athletes to the Military. I think it was Gen McArthur who went all out to develop an olympic squad to win the maximum medals in the olympics. We have the people of McArthur's calibre with in our armed forces. All that we need is to give them the resources and time to develop such a squad. It might take a little extra time, but surely is possible.

We as a community can also adopt one or two athletes from our own community itself and can fund them from day one till they achieve some recognitions. I feel there is enough talent available with in our own community too.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".