Thread: Heavy Indian accent = career hurdle?

Post Heavy Indian accent = career hurdle?

Heavy Indian accent = career hurdle?

Your mother tongue has a habit of accenting your spoken English.

And this is proving to be a setback in your career.

Get Ahead BPO training expert Nasha Fitter offers some tips:

I am a MS Postgraduate from MAHE University and in search of a job from 6 months looking for a change. Presently I am working as a project assistant in IISc, Bangalore. I feel frustrated myself when I think I can't communicate fast with my colleagues.

My colleagues even say that you can never develop your accent. This is because I have MTIs (Mother Tongue Influences) in my accent. Please guide me to eliminate this MTI from my accent.

-- Srinidhi H A

Having strong Mother Tongue Influences does not at all mean that you cannot develop your accent. In truth, there is nothing really that a person cannot do. You will just have to work hard at it.

There are many accent reduction books and tapes in the market that you could check out. Or you could take a class on accent neutralisation. Most people who have strong MTIs are usually not releasing enough air when they speak. Especially for the p, k and t consonant sounds. Also, many people who have strong MTIs do not stretch their vowel sounds enough.

I can make the sentences but problem is my vocabulary is very weak as I have studied in govt school and instruction medium was Hindi. Could you plz suggest me to improve my fluency to speak in english and spelling mistake Even lacking of confidence in me also.

-- Manish Sharma

It is difficult to be confident when you don't feel you have a strong understanding of a particular subject. In this situation, it seems that you are not feeling confident about your English skills. Don't worry too much about it and remember that most people face the same problems you do.

I would suggest making an aggressive effort to improve your language fluency. Immerse yourself in English -- watch only English television shows, read only English newspapers, and read lots of books (you should be reading for at least one hour per day on weekdays and perhaps two hours per day on weekends).

Spelling is one of the easiest areas to improve. Every time you write something on your computer -- spell-check it. Even if you write a simple e-mail, use spell-check. You will start to notice words that you regularly misspell.

Make a note of these words and quiz yourself on them whenever you can. Most of all, don't feel that you are at a disadvantage because you went to a Hindi medium school.

Just stay positive and set a goal for yourself to improve your English skills in a certain time frame.

I have problem in vocabulary. I cannot pronounce word rightly. I try lots of things for that but it is not getting. From the child I have that problem for my mother tongue also. So please give me some suggestion regarding these.
    -- Nilesh

From your mail I would strongly recommend taking a class on English grammar. You could also buy a book but I believe that a class will be much more useful and effective. Reading newspapers and watching English television shows will also help.

When you do read, I would suggest reading the same paragraph two to three times until you are comfortable with the language and the various sentence structures. Then you can try writing about the same topic while utilising the same or similar vocabulary words used in the text. I would suggest that you stick to simple English found in national newspapers.

Nasha is the CEO of Fitter Solutions, a communication and training company. She is an expert in vocational and communication skills management for BPO and service-based organisations. She is also involved with the upliftment and development of rural youth through basic education, vocational training and entrepreneurship, and writes for a variety of publications. She has a degree in business administration from the University of Southern California.
    Deepak Sejwal
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Want to succeed? Be positive

Want to succeed? Be positive

To scale the corporate ladder of success one must have a positive attitude at work.

This is easier said than done, however, when one takes into consideration having to cope with umpteen ups and downs in one's daily work life.

BPO training expert Nasha Fitter who tackles issues ranging from how to maintain a positive attitude at work to striking the right balance when having a conversation with a colleague, tells Get Ahead readers how to look at the sunny side of any situation.

How can we have a positive attitude at the places we work? Any tips?
    -- Gopalkrishnan

This is a good question. Most of us forget that a positive attitude can take care of most of our problems. When work becomes frustrating and stressful, it is their positive attitude that makes successful people stand apart.

Successful people are positive people. They view difficulties as hurdles they have to cross, not as roadblocks that will make them fall. When something difficult or bad is staring you in the face, look at it as a test; see how positive you can stay through it. Everyone is positive when things are going well, but truly strong people are positive when everything is going wrong.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with failing, or doing the wrong thing in a situation. All successful people fail multiple times in their lives, but they have the ability to be positive and learn from each mistake, instead of being negative and dwelling on their misfortunes.

I need to know about non-voice based BPOs and how I can be part of the industry.
    -- Naveenathan

In a non-voice BPO, you would be doing back office work that does not require you to speak on the phone. For example, you could be doing data-entry tasks or writing e-mail responses to customer queries.

Here, your typing skills, basic knowledge of working on a computer and written English would be important. I would suggest you check the Internet for a list of BPOs near you and apply to all of them for their non-voiced processes.

My problem is I cannot use the right word at the right time. At the time of conversation, I try and recollect words, but fail. While watching the news on TV, I try and catch each word, and promptly forget them the next day.
    -- Chandrika Palakad

It is a problem we all face. Many people think that if they see or hear a word and look it up once in the dictionary, they will remember it for life. This is not true.

Take the example of an advertisement: according to research, for a person to remember an advertisement, he or she must see the same ad eight times.

This statistic applies to our vocabulary as well. Just because we hear a word once, it does not mean we will remember it enough to incorporate it in our regular speech. What you can do is keep a running list of words. Every week, give yourself an hour where you run through the words and quiz yourself on their definitions. Force yourself, every week, to use at least one of the words in a conversation.

If you are dedicated, you should definitely see an improvement in your vocabulary after some time. Do not be too hard on yourself or expect a drastic change quickly. Vocabulary improvement is a slow process, but one we should all be working on continuously.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post Want to speak good English?

Want to speak good English?

We generally associate language with communication. However, the repercussions of having language skills, or lacking them, go way beyond communication. Our command over the language we communicate in everyday determines how confident we are about presenting ourselves. It even reflects in our body language and self esteem.

Being fluent in English is important, considering it is the universal language of business communication. For those looking to improve their skills, here are a few tips.

Listen

As a baby, you began learning your mother tongue simply by listening and observing. This is the most natural method of learning a language. If you think grammar and rules of syntax bog you down, go back to the primal mode of learning -- listen and observe.

Be alert when you listen to someone speaking English, be it at your workplace, at a party or on television. Watch out for common expressions and usages. If you are able to grasp regularly used ways of greeting and small talk, you will be able to initiate speaking more confidently. Start noting simple things: If you meet someone at a party, do you always end up saying, 'Hi! Nice meeting you...'?

How about introducing variations here? Observe how others talk and try varying your greeting. Why not try saying 'How do you do?' or 'How are you doing?' Greetings and introduction lines may seem trivial, but if you are not fluent in a language, you often tend to avoid even these, thus ending all prospects of communication. If you can break this barrier, you can take your first step into the realm of English speaking.

Read

While listening to English speakers definitely helps, it is important to read if you wish to expedite the process of improving. Most people are put off by this because they associate reading with big, literary books. However, what we are talking about is reading anything and everything written in correct English. Therefore, your range of choices could extend from comic strips to newspaper articles, gadget manuals to movie reviews.

While reading, try and get a feel of the language and usage of words. More importantly, note the use of articles (a, an, the) and prepositions (in, on, at, from, into, over, under, etc) as these are areas where the most common errors are committed.

Improve your vocabulary

We are not asking you to learn the dictionary by rote! Can you commit yourself to learning two new words a day? You could come across these anywhere -- while reading, on a news channel, on a sign at the shopping mall, on a billboard, etc. Make the effort to look up the exact meaning of the word in the dictionary, instead of adopting the easier route of understanding the meaning from the context.

If possible, maintain a book where you can note down the new words everyday, along with the context, so you remember them better. Write down the dictionary meaning and also frame a sentence using the word, so it is now registered in your memory. Go through this book periodically to refresh your memory and use the words in your conversations, emails and letters. A few minutes each way, coupled with an eye for observation and an ear for new words is all it takes to improve your vocabulary.

You could also subscribe to services like dictionary.com that will e-mail a new word every day; this mail will include both the dictionary meanings and usage in sentences.

Prepare for small talk

Speaking English fluently is not just about making corporate presentations and giving long speeches. It is about expressing your views on the most mundane of things. How often do you meet a new person and face an awkward silence after the initial greeting because you don't know what to talk about? Worse, you may wish to initiate a conversation but may not be confident of putting something across correctly.

The ability to make small talk is very important in business and social conversations. Topics for casual conversation could include the weather, sports, current affairs, arts, hobbies, travel, etc. Read up on your area of interest and try framing sentences expressing your opinions. Talk about it with someone close to you so you can check for grammatical accuracy.

Then, gradually build up on your repertoire of conversational topics and start using them whenever you get a chance. Of course, when you talk, do not make it sound like a speech you have learnt by heart. Induce a casual tone and adapt to the occasion.

Make mistakes

Can you learn swimming by standing at the edge of the pool? You have to take the plunge, right? It is the same with language. Unless you use the language, you will never know how good you are at it.

Ask a few people close to you who are good at English to help. Make them interrupt you whenever you make a mistake and ask them to correct you. Be open to feedback. Do not be embarrassed to make mistakes, for that is the only way you will learn. That is how the process of acquiring fluency a language occurs. As a child, you may have made a lot of mistakes before getting a good grasp of your mother tongue. The only difference now is that you are conscious of the mistakes.

Books on grammar are a good supplement to strengthen your command over the language. The good old Wren and Martin for grammar and Word Power by Norman Louis for vocabulary should also help. A lot of web sites including EnglishPage, Grammar Book, Better-English, etc will help you augment your skills.

Finally, all you need is a will to learn and the initiative to begin. That done, it is simply a matter of time and effort!

Rukmini Iyer is a corporate trainer and instructional designer. She writes regularly on business etiquette, communication, language enhancement and grooming.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post 10 tips to improve the way you speak English

10 tips to improve the way you speak English

Many deserving candidates lose out on job opportunities because of their vernacular accent.

Can I 'neutralise' my accent?

Yes, you can. All you need to do is train yourself to speak English as comfortably and perfectly as you speak your mother tongue.

How do you train yourself? By inculcating certain practices in your daily lifestyle. These will get you closer to sounding like a native English speaker and equip you with a global accent -- and you will speak not American or British English, but correct English.

This is the first step to learn any other accent, be it American or British or Australian.

Lisa Mojsin, head trainer, director and founder of the Accurate English Training Company in Los Angeles, offers these tips to help 'neutralise' your accent or rather do away with the local twang, as you speak.

i. Observe the mouth movements of those who speak English well and try to imitate them.

When you are watching television, observe the mouth movements of the speakers. Repeat what they are saying, while imitating the intonation and rhythm of their speech.

ii. Until you learn the correct intonation and rhythm of English, slow your speech down.

If you speak too quickly, and with the wrong intonation and rhythm, native speakers will have a hard time understanding you.

Don't worry about your listener getting impatient with your slow speech -- it is more important that everything you say be understood.

iii. Listen to the 'music' of English.

Do not use the 'music' of your native language when you speak English. Each language has its own way of 'singing'.

iv. Use the dictionary.

Try and familiarise yourself with the phonetic symbols of your dictionary. Look up the correct pronunciation of words that are hard for you to say.

v. Make a list of frequently used words that you find difficult to pronounce and ask someone who speaks the language well to pronounce them for you.

Record these words, listen to them and practice saying them. Listen and read at the same time.

vi. Buy books on tape.

Record yourself reading some sections of the book. Compare the sound of your English with that of the person reading the book on the tape.

vii. Pronounce the ending of each word.

Pay special attention to 'S' and 'ED' endings. This will help you strengthen the mouth muscles that you use when you speak English.

viii. Read aloud in English for 15-20 minutes every day.

Research has shown it takes about three months of daily practice to develop strong mouth muscles for speaking a new language.

ix. Record your own voice and listen for pronunciation mistakes.

Many people hate to hear the sound of their voice and avoid listening to themselves speak. However, this is a very important exercise because doing it will help you become conscious of the mistakes you are making.

x. Be patient.

You can change the way you speak but it won't happen overnight. People often expect instant results and give up too soon. You can change the way you sound if you are willing to put some effort into it.

Quick tips

Various versions of the English language exist. Begin by identifying the category you fall into and start by improving the clarity of your speech.

~ Focus on removing the mother tongue influence and the 'Indianisms' that creep into your English conversations.

~ Watch the English news on television channels like Star World, CNN, BBC and English movies on Star Movies and HBO.

~ Listen to and sing English songs. We'd recommend Westlife, Robbie Williams, Abba, Skeeter Davis and Connie Francis among others.

Books to help you improve your English

Essential English Grammar by Murphy (Cambridge)
    Spoken English by R K Bansal and J B Harrison
    Pronounce It Perfectly In English (book and three audio cassettes) by Jean Yates, Barrons Educational Series
    English Pronunciation For International Students by Paulette Wainless Dale, Lillian Poms
    Deepak Sejwal

Post 6 'soft' skills you need for success

6 'soft' skills you need for success

A reputed software company in India is all geared up for a client visit.

The clients have indicated that, after inspecting the progress of the project they have outsourced, they would like to meet the team members working on it.

Why? To select one team member for a stint onsite -- something almost every software engineer aspires for.

Ravi has been one of the most active members in the project and has done a wonderful job. He is technically brilliant, but has some concerns:

• Will he able to communicate his performance to the client in an impressive manner so that he is chosen?
    • Why do his team mates not prefer to come to him for solutions and go to less capable people instead?
    • His project manager doesn't seem to be very warm towards him either,
      although he does drop in those occasional mails appreciating his work.

Here is a typical scenario in an IT company; or for that matter, any organisation where interpersonal communication is involved. Or, like in Ravi's case, where an employee suffers from a lack of interpersonal skills.

Are technical/ job-related skills enough?

Technical and job-related skills are a must, but they are NOT sufficient when it comes to progressing up the ladder.

With the traditional paternalistic style of leadership becoming passé, professional managers expect their teams to be proactive and communicate openly.

"Soft skills are very important in business. It is essential to be technically sound, but one should also have the ability to convey the idea to the masses in the simplest possible manner," says Mayurkumar Gadewar, an ERP consultant with Pricewaterhouse Coopers.

With the boom in outsourcing taking root across industries, many professionals and subject matter experts directly deal with their clients on a regular basis.

Their approachability and people skills are what ultimately sustain the contract their employers have bagged.

"Planning is necessary but execution is also equally important. And it takes soft skills to execute any idea because it involves dealing with people directly," says Gadewar.

6 soft skills for every hard-nosed professional

Behavioural training experts say there are several soft skills are required in these circumstances. Some of them include:

i. Interpersonal skills

ii. Team spirit

iii. Social grace

iv. Business etiquette

v. Negotiation skills

vi. Behavioural traits such as attitude, motivation and time management

Do you have these? If your answer is yes, good for you.

But if your answer is no, then you know it is time to approach either a training organisation or a training consultant.

Will formal training enhance your soft skills?

There is a lot of argument in the industry as to whether it is possible to enhance soft skills in a few hours of training, especially when one considers the fact that a person has lived with those traits all his life. To this, the answer is harsh but real -- a professional who wants to do well in his/ her career does not really have a choice.

In the initial years of your career, your technical abilities are important to get good assignments. However, when it comes to growing in an organisation, it is your personality that matters, more so in large organisations where several people with similar technical expertise will compete for a promotion.

Training on soft skills becomes all the more relevant in a country like India where the education system does not delve into personality development.

"Soft skills training is essential because we do not have it in our academic curricula. Therefore, corporate houses have to take up the task of grooming employees who are the link between the company and the external world, so that they are able to present themselves better, " says Sumeet Mehta, an equity research analyst with Fortis Securities Ltd.

Be your own trainer!

While organisations are definitely investing in augmenting their staff's people skills, here are some inputs for professionals and students who would like to initiate the process themselves:

i.Be a part of team activities

It could be either as a part of your church choir, or an NGO, or your local youth circle.

Observe your own behaviour in the group and how you relate to others.

ii. Ask family members or close friends to write down your best and worst traits.

Ideally, have at least four to five people do this for you.

Evaluate the common traits all of them have mentioned. Thus, you can be aware of your strengths and work improving your weaknesses.

iii. How well do you manage your time?

Think.

Can you do more in life? Or is your day too crammed with activities? Effective time management is very essential in the corporate world.

iv. Introspect on how you react to feedback.

In organisations, people skills mostly come into the picture when there is feedback given -- be it for an idea, an executed project or a presentation.

You are judged by the way you respond to feedback.

Do you get defensive?

Do you insist you were right?

Do you meekly accept criticism?

Remember, people tend to be judged and stereotyped according to their responses. You will, too.

v. How good are you at critiquing?

While responding to feedback is one side of the coin, giving feedback is the other side.

Are you aggressive? Pessimistic? Do you believe in constructive criticism? Or prefer to be the yes-man?

vi. Live consciously

Any organisation is manned by people, therefore soft skills are all about how you deal with people and present yourself.

Though it may be easier said than done, soft skills can be enhanced simply by being aware of oneself and living consciously.

Rukmini Iyer is a corporate trainer and instructional designer. She writes regularly on business etiquette, communication, language enhancement and grooming.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post 3 golden rules for effective communication

3 golden rules for effective communication

Have you been wondering how to put together an impressively-phrased Powerpoint presentation?

Have you been wondering how to compose an e-mail that captures your strategies and goals effectively?

It is time you did something about it.

As a young professional in today's global business world, it is imperative that you are competent in both oral as well as written communication.

Important forms of oral communication at the workplace include:

• Building interpersonal relationships.
    • Giving presentations and debating viewpoints effectively.

You need to master oral skills for both in-person and over-the-phone interactions.

Similarly, important written communication includes:

• Writing professional e-mails (sans SMS slang).
    • Putting together concise reports.
    • Creating visually powerful Powerpoint presentations.

And the key to acing oral and written communication is to spruce up your communication skills. And it is a lot easier than you think.

Here are some easy tips to do it on your own:

1. Improve pronunciation and diction

There are a few tricks to making a vernacular accent more globally understandable.

~ Try making sure that 'air' comes out of your mouth when saying the letters, 'T, P, K' and the sound 'Ch'.

~ Focus on elongating your vowel sounds. This will also automatically slow down your rate of speech.

~ Sing English songs out loud!

~ Watch news shows on channels like CNN and BBC.

~ The web site www.m-w.com is great for pronunciation help.

~ I would also suggest buying books on pronunciation and language that come with audio cassettes.

A good book that I found really useful was Better English Pronunciation by J D O'Connor. It is part of the Cambridge series, and some of those books come with cassettes.

2. Spruce up your writing skills

~ Believe it or not, you have to Read More!

~ Well-written magazines, like The Economist and India Today, are great to read not only to improve language skills but also to learn more about the world.

~ In terms of books, read what interests you. The basic goal is to read as much as you can.

There are a plethora of good authors who are popular today. Some good writers whose language is easy to follow include Vikram Seth, Jhumpa Lahiri, Paulo Coelho, J D Salinger, Albert Camus and Roald Dahl.

~ People tend to forget basic grammar when writing e-mails. An e-mail is nothing more than a letter which is sent electronically.

Make sure salutations and content are professional. Use special phrases when attaching documents. For example, "Please find attached with this e-mail a report on..." This helps you sound professional.

3. Five exercises to practise every day!

i. Pretend you are a newscaster and read out the newspaper to your mirror.

ii. Do not read local newspapers. Focus on national newspapers.

iii. While reading a book, underline all the words you do not know. Look them up in the dictionary.

iv. Make a list of these words, and make sure you use at least five of them in a conversation during the day.

v. Most important, make an effort to speak in English to your friends and family.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post Party networking: the new mantra for success

Party networking: the new mantra for success

Party networking is the smart way to achieve many of your goals.

It could land you a new job.

It could give entrepreneurs the business they are looking for.

It could open new vistas which you may not encounter in a formal environment.

So, are you ready to party?

BPO training and communication expert Nasha Fitter demystifies the subtle nuances of party etiquette by answering one of the most commonly asked questions today, "How do I conduct myself at a party?"

I am a Software Developer and work for a medium-size software company.

I want to improve my interaction abilities, communication skills, body language, facial expressions, etc.

I find it necessary especially when I go to parties or office seminars. I meet lots of people, so I want to make a very good impression and show confidence.

Please suggest some tips for the same.

- Vikas

What a lovely question! People often forget how important first impressions and interpersonal communication skills are.

First, when you enter a room for a party or seminar, make sure your posture is straight.

When you approach a group of people, don't be afraid to introduce yourself.

Stick your hand out and initiate the process of shaking peoples' hands. This shows you are confident and friendly.

Also, don't give your business card to just anyone like it is a flier. Do it only when you get into a conversation with someone. Then, hand over a card.

When you speak to someone, make sure you look them in the eye. Try to keep your eyes from wandering.

Listen carefully. Ask lots of questions to show people you are interested in what they have to say. For example, if you were speaking with someone and they say, "I am a software developer," don't just answer with a short response and then move on to another topic.

Delve into what they have said by asking questions like, "How long have you been in the field?", "Is there a lot of competition in the industry?", "What kind of projects do you work on?", etc.

You don't need to know a lot about a topic to build a conversation. You just need the desire to learn more about any given topic.

The bottom line: Great listeners make great conversationalists!

And, remember: it is a much better networking practice to speak to a handful of people indepth, than to speak to lots of people briefly.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post The dos and don'ts of effective networking

The dos and don'ts of effective networking

It is no longer enough to just know your job.

If you plan on some quick career jumps, you have to know what opportunities are available to you as well.

You also have to know and connect with those who can help you make the best of those opportunities or challenges.

'Who' you know is no longer important. 'What' (you know about them) is.

In other words, you have to network effectively.

Networking in all spheres, professional and social, can make all the difference at your work place.

Your networking skills can help you do a better job and climb the ladder to increased success. Here's how:

1. Reach out. Stay connected

The key to good networking, as marketing gurus say, is to reach out to as many people and links as possible. Continuing to stay in touch is just as important.

In Questions Are The Answers, a book on effective network marketing, author and body language and human communication expert Allan Pease lists his five cardinal rules to effective networking.

Rules 1, 2 and 3 simply state: See More People.

(Rule 4 suggests you use the law of averages to your advantage while Rule 5 insists you improve on those averages.)

Says Issac Jacob, vice president, head of marketing, Tata Asset Management Limited, "The service business provides you with many opportunities [to network]. And effective networking will definitely enhance your performance."

Jacob cites, as an example, a single portal that offers multiple channels or services. "To provide so many links and services -- like online shopping, e-mail and mobile facilities -- it is imperative that you link up with partner channels, service providers and vendors. There is no other way to do this but connect and just network," he explains.

2. Meet, talk and listen

You may meet 10 persons through the course of your day.

It is only after you have spoken to all of them and listened to what they have to say that you will know who is important for you and who you will find useful. No one is too insignificant, too old, too young, too vague or too remote until you have spoken and interacted with them.

"You must know how to choose the right contacts as you meet and interact with people. This will enable you to connect with a larger audience or group," says Jacob.

3. Same and different levels

There is no such thing as the right time or the right place to meet the right people.

You may meet them at your workplace or at social dos.

Remember, though, effective networking is a two-way channel.

It all depends on the 'specific needs of one party or the other', says R D'Souza, head of corporate communications, Cadbury's, Mumbai. "You may or may not consciously network, but you have to understand clearly your needs or requirements so that you can avail of the right opportunities," he says.

Network with your own sort and reach out to those who are beyond your professional realm.

Ultimately, this helps you build effective relationships and share crucial information, ideas and resources.

4. Communication skills

What you have to say depends a lot on how you say it.

Also, if you develop your communication skills, you will not only win contacts and clients but friends for life.

Says Madhuri Sen, general manager of Text-100, a PR firm catering to BPOs and other technology-driven companies, "My job demands that I interact constantly with different kinds of people.

"I will meet them as long as I need to in my professional capacity. But, ultimately, I will stay in touch only with the people I like and those who are useful or important to me and vice-versa. Networking is not about schmoozing.

"I might meet people who may be resourceful at parties and dos, but they may or may not be part of my social network."

If you are consciously networking at parties or within your social circle, learn to speak both concisely and well. More important, listen to what others have to say. Everybody likes a good listener and a good speaker, but no one can stand a show-off or a bore.

5. Be your best
    Face it: People size you up during the first 15 seconds after you are introduced.

So put your best foot forward. Always!

"Contacts are important in your life. Like it or not, you need them to succeed as much as they need you to move on. Be positive about it. And show that positive attitude," says Diya Kochchar, manager of distribution at a corporate house.

6. Negative networking?

This may be peculiar to India as most people here do not believe, or admit, that networking should be done for the sake of networking.

"I would call it like-minded people connecting," says Madhuri Sen, who does not believe in 'hardcore networking', which means keeping an impressive score of names, contacts or referrals.

"The vibes are equally important," adds Sen.

Kochchar and D'Souza also agree that networking is not the be-all and end-all of one's job; but it is definitely a significant part of it.

7. Give and receive

There is no need to cringe when you hear, "I scratch your back and you scratch mine."

This is a mere reinvention of the barter system of the Stone Age!

In his Seven Spiritual Laws Of Success, Deepak Chopra applies the universal law of giving to active networking.

'The universe operates through dynamic exchange... giving and receiving are different aspects of the flow of energy. In our willingness to give that which we seek, we keep the abundance of the universe circulating in our lives,' he says.

Give in order to receive.

"When we speak of value addition, providing better service or simply delivering the goods to the satisfaction of one and all, we cannot ignore the importance of channels, resources, link-ups and increasing avenues of communication and contacts," says Issac Jacob.

Effective networking strategies will ensure that you finetune these elements into a cohesive art form and get the most out of your life and work.

Do's and don'ts for effective networking

Do's

~Meet people. Meet more people. Call, send e-mails, notes and cards. But the best way is, almost always, to call in person.

~Circulate when you meet a group at an official meet or seminar. Don't stick to the one or two people you know. Introduce yourself to as many new people as possible.

~Appear likeable and approachable. Be positive not brash, friendly not overtly flattering. Speak about yourself and your work without bragging. Listen to what other people have to say.

~Follow up on prospective contacts without hounding them. Make a call, fix up an appointment and proceed.

~Call your contacts at regular intervals. It can be once a week, once a month or once in three months. But a friendly follow-up is a must to keep your network alive.

Don'ts

~Don't presume or make imaginary distinctions while meeting people. No one should be dismissed as too unimportant or useless or vague before you actually meet them. Draw your conclusions after you have spoken to them.

~Don't ramble or go off-track when describing your work objectives. After a short prologue about yourself and your job, go straight to the point. Stop and explain anything that needs to be elaborated on or if you find your interlocutor looking confused.

~Listen to what people have to say. Try and counter questions, doubts or scepticism with sound, logical explanations. Don't try to fool around with facts, but do stress on your strengths.

~Be positive, clear and attentive. In the case of a particularly unpleasant encounter, remember this may be the last time you are meeting that person. On the other hand, it could be the beginning of a rich long-term association!
    Deepak Sejwal

Post The art of selling yourself!

The art of selling yourself!

What's a CV or resume?

It's simply an advertisement that helps you sell yourself to an employer.

It needs to present your skills and experience in the best possible light and emphasize your suitability and potential for the job.

That is why it is a good idea to spend time on preparing a targeted, effective, error-free document that will impress a potential employer.

Employers see a lot of CVs, so avoid imitating standard CV samples. You can score bonus points instead if your CV is just that little bit different and has your own personal stamp.

Some tips

• Always print your CV on a standard A4, plain white or pale coloured paper. Use matching envelopes.
    • Always send a brief customised letter with any CV that you send out.
    • Presentation is extremely important, so make sure your CV is typed or word-processed.
    • It should be well laid out and printed on a good quality printer.
    • Leave plenty of space between paragraphs and allow adequate margins.
    • Use plain English. Avoid professional jargon.
    • Keep paragraphs short -- preferably no longer than five or six lines.
    • Your entire CV should not exceed two pages in length -- but if your breadth of experience merits it, you can justify a CV that runs to four pages.
    • Use bold lettering and/or underline print for headings.
    • Do not use lots of different font types and sizes. You are not designing a magazine cover!
    • Use plenty of white space. Remember to leave a decent margin on all four sides of the page.
    • Consider using 'bullets' to start sub-sections or lists.
    • Use positive language and adopt a confident tone.
    • Be careful with dates. Make sure every year is accounted for. Employers will get suspicious if they see too many gaps.

The main section of your CV

1. Personal details

• Name
    • Address
    • Telephone/cellphone number/s (and e-mail)
    • Date of birth
    • Nationality

2. Education

• Details of your university education
    • School
    • Work-related training

3. Work experience

List past employment details in reverse chronological order, with the most recent first. Always reserve more space for your most recent or current position. Names of past employers, along with the date of appointment and the date you left, and a brief outline of responsibilities is essential. Some employers also like to see a brief description of the companies and a summary of their business.

Always include your specific contributions to each job, listing related responsibilities and achievements with each entry, rather than in a separate section.

List any affiliation to relevant professional associations.

4. Skills

Employers are often interested in specific skills you have acquired, such as

• Foreign languages
    • Computing languages or packages
    • Keyboard skills
    • Driving ability
    • Try to give specific details, for example, about your level of proficiency in foreign languages, degree of familiarity with computer packages, and so on.

5. Interests and activities

Do not just list your interests. Show how they have helped develop skills a potential employer will value.

6. References

For references, choose people who can comment on different aspects of your professional personality. Two references are usually enough. Only give three if there is another person whose opinion you feel your potential employer really needs to hear.

General tips

• It can be good to start with a personal profile/objective statement. This is a two or three sentence overview of your skills, qualities, hopes and plans. It should encourage the employer to read the rest. You could add a photo of yourself. Make sure it is a good one!
    • You may vary the style according to the type of job. A big company would normally expect a formal CV on white paper. But a CV applying for a television production or graphics designer job could be less formal -- in such cases you can use coloured paper, unusual design, etc.
    • Don't include the date the CV was prepared -- this will shorten its usefulness.
    • Never state specific objectives. These are more effective when you include them in your covering letter.
    • Check that both your CV and covering letter are completely free of errors. Spelling mistakes will definitely detract from your application. Proof read both documents thoroughly. Get a friend to proof read them as well.
    • Keep an ongoing file of your achievements, no matter how insignificant they may appear -- one day they'll make the basis for a good CV.
    • Remember to give each of the people you've mentioned a reference copy of your CV.
    • Re-read your CV before any interview -- chances are the interviewer will too and you must know what's in it.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post Nervous at interviews? Here's help!

Nervous at interviews? Here's help!

BPO training expert Nasha Fitter, has the anwers for all your queries on BPO training and communication skills.

Here are some of them:

I have been working as a customer support executive at an ISP in Kerala for five months. I am a graduate in biology and have a one-year post graduate diploma in computer applications.

Being a social person helps me establish better and healthier relationships and strengthens my belief that cooperation is the key asset for the success of any relationship.

I want to know whether I can get a job in BPO which tallies with my experience and belief. What does it take to excel at being a customer support executive?

- Smriti

I think your belief is great for the BPO industry as establishing relationships is the core of good customer service.

For a BPO, though, especially one that deals with American or British clients, your spoken English will be very important. Improve your grammar and ability to communicate effectively, and you will be a star!

Is it possible to do part-time shifts for two to three months in the summer? If yes, what would be the pay like?

I have been a student in Britain for last four years, and I have done my schooling here. Spoken or written English is no problem. I have also worked as an administrative assistant at a real estate company, which involved a lot of interaction with clients.

- Aruni Mukherjee

Although the staff turnover is pretty high in call centers, it may be difficult to get a job for only a few months, although this depends on the call centre.

The pay also depends on the call centre and can range from Rs 10,000 to Rs 18,000 a month.

I suggest picking a list of 10 call centres. Spend a few days going to interviews and see what works best for you.

I am a senior sales executive in the consumer goods industry in Hyderabad.

I have attended four BPO interviews and failed at them. The problem is, I get nervous and I am unable to pronounce the words correctly. I can pronounce those same words correctly with the friends. The panic situation starts 10 to 15 minutes before the interview.

How do I get rid of this panic?

- Rao

Start enjoying your interviews. Seriously. Look forward to going to interviews; look forward to speaking; getting to know people and learning more about professional interviews.

Every interview you go to should be a learning experience.

It is no big deal if you don't get a few jobs. But you should learn what you did wrong after each failed interview. As far as your nervousness, remember, your interviewer is just another person.

Look at it as if you are going to meet a friend. Keep it professional but keep it casual. You sound like a smart guy, so there is no reason for you to not be confident about yourself!

I am very confident when I speak one-on-one, but if I have to speak in a crowd, I get nervous and stammer. What can I do?
    - Raj

Don't worry. Public speaking is hard for most people.

Try concentrating on an object or a person when in a crowd while you are speaking, and see if that helps you.

Watch other people who are good speakers speak. Notice what you like about the way they speak and incorporate these characteristics in your own delivery.

I have always found that the best speakers are the ones who speak from their hearts. If you are really serious about improving your public speaking skills, I would suggest taking a class.

I plan to go for an interview for a team leader's position.

Could you please tell me all that I need to keep in maind and the basic job of a team leader? Are there any web sites that can help?

- Aditya Rajiv

I am not sure about web sites, but I will give you a few tips.

First, as a team leader, your command and delivery of the English language needs to be strong. Brush up on your communication skills as they are very important at the TL level.

In your interview, bring up any managerial and leadership positions you have held.

As a TL, you need to be able to motivate your team, deal with interpersonal issues and ensure that your team is meeting company expectations.

During your interview, bring up responsibilities you have held that touch upon these topics. Good luck!
    Deepak Sejwal

Post 10 mantras to boost your professional worth

10 mantras to boost your professional worth

If you think the outsourcing revolution means you are destined to pick up phones forever, think again.

The future of outsourcing is already here, and it's not Business Process Outsourcing, but Knowledge Process Outsourcing.

Nasha Fitter, BPO training expert and CEO of Fitter Solutions, which provides training for BPO personnel, corporates and individuals, explores the scope for Indian professionals in the global KPO industry.

In the spotlight: KPOs

BPOs and call centres have unlocked new fields of opportunity for the young. But the newer, faster growing job wave comes from Knowledge Process Outsourcing.

KPO is outsourcing work, but the requirements are more specific. The job profiles are less repetitive/ mechanical and demand specific technical knowledge that must be combined with elements such as imagination, creativity, strategy and global corporate etiquette.

These jobs are mentally stimulating and tend to pay than typical BPO work.

KPOs encompass sectors such as medicine, IT, law, biotechnology, education, analytics, design and animation, research and development and intelligence services. A recent example is the fact that entire airplane navigation systems are being designed offshore in India.

This is just the beginning. Research shows the KPO industry is expected to reach US$ 17 billion by 2010. The question that immediately comes to mind is: how much of the pie will India really get?

The global scenario

Currently, our competition includes various nations in Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries.

According to a recent report by McKinsey & Co, only 25 percent of our engineers are 'suitable' to work in a multinational corporation. Compare this with the fact that 50 percent of the engineers in Poland and Hungary are 'suitable' for the same jobs.

Our figures are even more depressing in other categories: for example, 'suitable' finance/ accounting and life science graduates are a mere 15 percent.

Are you 'suitable'?

What makes a graduate 'suitable' to work in a world-class company? Where are we falling short?

Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with our technical skills or work ethics.

The problem is language proficiency and corporate etiquette -- the soft skills required to be an 'anywhere' worker in the new global economy. Sadly, our education system fails to equip us as far as this is concerned.

So, if you want to be a player in the new global economy, you must take your future -- and your training -- in your own hands; opportunities are available only to those willing to groom themselves to join the truly global workforce.

How to embrace global opportunities

Boost your worth in the global job market by paying attention to these 10 areas.

i. Ability to market yourself

This starts with how concise, well-formatted, well-versed and tailored your CVs and cover letters are.

Beyond this, the ability to interview well, cold-call recruiters and follow-up are essential.

ii. Presentation

Knowing how to put together a basic Power Point presentation with relevant and structured content is vital.

Additionally, any business executive should be able to deliver content quickly and powerfully while speaking to a group of his peers and superiors.

iii. English language

Speaking without grammatical mistakes is imperative. Improving language skills is difficult and time-consuming, but can be accomplished through books, classes and self-help.

Read as much as you can.

iv. Interpersonal skills

Listening (not just hearing), combined with the ability to build interesting conversations, is crucial in the business world.

Client interaction and networking depend heavily on how much other people enjoy speaking with you.

Intonation (how much feeling and rhythm you put into your voice) and pronunciation (how well articulated your sounds are) factor heavily here.

v. Phone etiquette

Yes, as basic as this sounds, the way you answer your phone tells a caller just how professional you really are.

When at work, calls should be picked up by introducing yourself. When you call someone and reach their voice mail, leave an organised message detailing why you called, your name and your telephone number.

Refrain from calling clients from a mobile phone when in a noisy place.

vi. Diction

Whether the conversation is taking place on the phone, or face-to-face, it is important you use professional language.

Read business newspapers and industry-specific material so you become savvy with the jargon used in your field.

vii. E-mail etiquette

There is no reason why professional standards should be abandoned just because a message is electronic.

Pay attention to grammar, spell-check your work, don't skip salutations, introduce attachments and use professional language when sending out work e-mails (even to people you know well).

viii. Dress codes

To be a credible businessperson, you have to look like one.

Men should wear collared shirts with an undershirt. Button your shirt all the way, wear simple belts, stick to dark-coloured slacks and dark-coloured shoes.

Women who wear Western clothes should opt for skirts that fall below the knee, collared shirts/ blouses and close-toed shoes.

ix. Handshakes

Don't hesitate to shake hands. Initiating a handshake is an indication of your confidence level. Remember to keep your handshake firm.

If you are a woman and want to be taken seriously, don't hesitate to shake hands with the same confidence and authority as your male peers.

x. Business card etiquette

Always take your business cards with you when going for a meeting or conference. When presenting your card to someone, keep the print facing the recipient, so he/she will not have to turn it around to read it.

When you receive a card, take a second to look at it as the card is representative of the person. Don't pass your card around like it is a flier.

Refrain from forcing someone to take your card, especially a senior executive. It is far better to wait for him/ her to ask for it.

Countries like the United States and some of the European nations that already outsource heavily are shifting towards countries where the labour force is of a 'higher quality' (such as Poland, Hungary the Czech Republic and Russia) as opposed to countries with a labour force of a 'higher quantity' (such as India and China).

We don't have time to wait for our educational system to improve or for more corporations to work with universities and create exposure for students through internship programmes.

Those who want to do well professionally must take their careers in their own hands. The global economy is hiring, and the choice is yours as to which side of the statistic you want to be part of. So, are you 'suitable' or are you 'unsuitable'?
    Deepak Sejwal

Post Are you good at group discussion?

Are you good at group discussion?

Have you ever seen a football game?

Or been a part of a football team?

These questions might seem awkward and absurd when talking about How to crack a Group Discussion to get into a top B-School.

But they are relevant to understand the nuances of a Group Discussion.

Just reiterating the cliché that a Group discussion, or GD, as it is commonly called, is a group process or a team building exercise does not help students.

As in a football game, where you play like a team, passing the ball to each team member and aim for a common goal, GD is also based on team work, incorporating views of different team members to reach a common goal.

A Group Discussion at a B-School can be defined as a formal discussion involving ten to 12 participants in a group.

They are given a topic. After some time, during which they collect their thoughts, the group is asked to discuss the topic for 20 to 25 minutes.

B-Schools use the GD process to assess a candidate's personality traits.

Here are some of the most important personality traits that a candidate should possess to do well at a GD:

1. Team Player

B-Schools lay great emphasis on this parameter because it is essential for managers to be team players.

The reason: Managers always work in teams.

At the beginning of his career, a manager works as a team member. And, later, as a team leader.

Management aspirants who lack team skills cannot be good managers.

2. Reasoning Ability

Reasoning ability plays an important role while expressing your opinions or ideas at a GD.

For example, an opinion like 'Reduction in IIMs' fees will affect quality' can be better stated by demonstrating your reasoning ability and completing the missing links between fees and quality as:

'Reduction in IIMs' fees will result in less funds being invested on study material, student exchange programmes, research, student development activities, etc.

'Moreover, it costs money to attract good faculty, create good infrastructure and upgrade technology.

'With reduction in fees, less money will be available to perform these ,activities which will lead to deterioration in the quality of IIMs.'

3. Leadership

There are three types of situations that can arise in a GD:

~ A GD where participants are unable to establish a proper rapport and do not speak much.
    ~ A GD where participants get emotionally charged and the GD gets chaotic.
    ~ A GD where participants discuss the topic assertively by touching on all its nuances and try to reach the objective.

Here, a leader would be someone who facilitates the third situation at a GD.

A leader would have the following qualities:

~S/he shows direction to the group whenever group moves away from the topic.
    ~S/he coordinates the effort of the different team members in the GD.
    ~S/he contributes to the GD at regular intervals with valuable insights.
    ~S/he also inspires and motivates team members to express their views.

Caution: Being a mere coordinator in a GD does not help, because it is a secondary role.

Contribute to the GD with your ideas and opinions, but also try and steer the conversation towards a goal.

4. Flexibility

You must be open to other ideas as well as to the evaluation of your ideas: That is what flexibility is all about.

But first, remember: Never ever start your GD with a stand or a conclusion.

Say the topic of a GD is, 'Should India go to war with Pakistan?'

Some participants tend to get emotionally attached to the topic and take a stand either in favour or against the topic, ie 'Yes, India should', or, 'No, India should not'.

By taking a stand, you have already given your decision without discussing the topic at hand or listening to the views of your team members.

Also, if you encounter an opposition with a very strong point at the 11th hour, you end up in a typical catch-22 situation:

~If you change your stand, you are seen as a fickle-minded or a whimsical person.
    ~If you do not change your stand, you are seen as an inflexible, stubborn and obstinate person.

5. Assertiveness

You must put forth your point to the group in a very emphatic, positive and confident manner.

Participants often confuse assertiveness with aggressiveness.

Aggressiveness is all about forcing your point on the other person, and can be a threat to the group. An aggressive person can also demonstrate negative body language, whereas an assertive person displays positive body language.

6. Initiative

A general trend amongst students is to start a GD and get the initial kitty of points earmarked for the initiator.

But that is a high risk-high return strategy.

Initiate a GD only if you are well versed with the topic. If you start and fail to contribute at regular intervals, it gives the impression that you started the GD just for the sake of the initial points.

Also, if you fumble, stammer or misquote facts, it may work against you.

Remember: You never ever get a second chance to create a first impression.

7. Creativity/ Out of the box thinking

An idea or a perspective which opens new horizons for discussion on the GD topic is always highly appreciated.

When you put across a new idea convincingly, such that it is discussed at length by the group, it can only be positive.

You will find yourself in the good books of the examiner.

8. Inspiring ability

A good group discussion should incorporate views of all the team members.

If some team members want to express their ideas but are not getting the opportunity to do so, giving them an opportunity to express their ideas or opinions will be seen as a positive trait.

Caution: If a participant is not willing to speak, you need not necessarily go out of the way to ask him to express his views. This may insult him and hamper the flow of the GD.

9. Listening

Always try and strike a proper balance between expressing your ideas and imbibing ideas.

10. Awareness

You must be well versed with both the micro and macro environment.

Your awareness about your environment helps a lot in your GD content, which carries maximum weightage.

Caution: The content or awareness generally constitutes 40 to 50 percent marks of your GD.

Apart from these qualities, communication skills, confidence and the ability to think on one's feet are also very important.

Brijesh Singh is an alumnus of Mumbai's Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post Power Dress To Impress at Work!!!

Power Dress To Impress at Work!!!

It's a hot topic of discussion around the water cooler, during your coffee break, in the elevator and every other realm beyond the purview of the boss's keen eye.

Who is getting that raise and promotion?

No prizes for guessing that performing well in your appraisal is topmost on your mind!

When your every move and word is closely monitored, the terms 'assessment', 'evaluation' and 'review' assume a heightened meaning.

And when it is a photo finish between teammates, any amount of sloppiness could have your coworker nosing ahead of you!

Thus, it is vital to properly strategise for your own 'visual presentation', ie your appearance.

Here's how you can prepare.

Text: Meera Mittal
    Meera Mittal is a fashion designer and image consultant who writes regularly on fashion and trends.

1. Brush up on your grooming technique.

~ For men

i. Get a new haircut.

ii. Get a manicure, pedicure and face cleaning.

iii. It is not essential to have a crew cut on the job. But men with longer hair should opt for a slick, gelled-back look. This gives the impression of being freshly showered.

iv. For a quick change in the way you look, consider re-styling your facial hair.

~ For women

i. For the ladies, even a good hair trim and regular face cleaning/ buffing should do.

ii. According to hairstylist Jawed Habib, "Curls are very much in for women, but these work best for the office if worn tied back or short."

iii. If you want a quick change in look, try parting or tying your hair differently.

2. Get yourself a signature colour.

Haven't got one already? Determine your signature palette now!

Colour can go a long way in giving you an identity at work.

~ For men

For instance, 24-year old Altaf, an executive with an international travel corporation, swears by white because it has a definite professional air about it.

He combines a crisp, white shirt with beige or dove grey pants and a yellow or light blue tie.

i. It is a good idea to go beyond blues, greys, blacks and whites and experiment with colour.

Make sure, though, that you can carry it off without getting self-concious.

For the stylish man, baby pink is the new white.

~ For women

i. All pastel shades and medium tones -- like mustard, turquoise blue, deep pink and olive -- are acceptable. Only try striking colours like reds and black if you are comfortable.

ii. Figure out whether you prefer 'cool' or 'warm' colours and build your wardrobe accordingly.

• Blues, greens and purple fall under cool colours.
    • Reds, yellows and browns are warm colours.

3. Dos and don'ts for men!

i. Ties and scarves should only be in silk, never polyester.

ii. Keep belt buckles plain, even staid.

iii. Belts, bags and shoes, socks and trousers need to match across the board!

iv. Besides the shoe body, make sure the edges are polished, too, as these turn white over time.

v. Slim fitting trousers are appropriate coordinates.

Siddharth, 26, a software consultant with a leading technology corporation, swears by single pleated, flat front trousers, as these have a slim cut and less bulk.

They fall well with turned up hems.

Back pockets without flaps are ideal.

vi. Avoid stretch fabrics if possible and capris.

4. Dos and don'ts for women.

i. Avoid translucent fabrics for tops, and low-neck or tight-fitting blouses.

ii. Cotton or cotten blend shirts work best.

iii. Go for stripes, checks and subtle prints.

iv. Opt for slim-fitting trousers or long, slim pencil skirts as coordinates.

v. Skirts can have either a modest side or back slit.

vi. Avoid wearing capris, stretch fabrics and short skirts.

5. The finishing touches for women.

i. When it comes to jewellery, make sure you do not mix metals.

When wearing gold, wear all gold. When wearing silver or platinum, wear all silver/ platinum.

Keep jewellery simple and coordinated in design.

A chain with a pendant, matching earrings and a bracelet will make you sparkle.

ii. Wear a subtle perfume or cologne that suits your personality.

iii. Try not to carry your entire world with you in an oversized bag.

Invest in medium-sized leather handbags in black, brown and beige to get to the boardroom.

iii. High heels are super so long as you can carry yourself well in them.

I recommend heels up to an inch or an inch-and-a-half, no more.

Now that you are good to go, good luck on your way up!

6. The finishing touches for men.

i. Neckties are best worn either solid or patterned with dots or stripes.

Keep the stripes simple, narrow and wide-spaced.

Learn how to tie the knot properly.

Avoid skinny or overtly wide knots.

ii. Avoid chunky wallets in your hip pocket -- they look tacky. Not the ideal way to impress the boss with your contacts.

iii. Wear a subtle perfume or cologne that suits your persona and doesn't announce your arrival from across the room.

iv. If need be, carry a sleek, leather messenger bag in black or dark brown, as opposed to the backpack, boys.

v. As mentioned before, formal lace-up shoes will take you up the ladder quicker.

Good luck!

7. Dress for the part.

i. The old saying that one should dress as per the rank one aspires to, is not unfounded.

However this doesn't entail aping the boss or senior's style!

ii. Create a distinctive look for yourself, keeping in mind that the effect should be simple but classy.

For instance, make a fine statement with a shirt with a cutaway collar or a blue-striped shirt with a white collar and cuff.

iii. If you like tailored shirts, add a pair of elegant silver square or rectangular cufflinks on turned-up cuffs.

iv. Being meticulous in your attire speaks of self-respect and one who pays attention to details.
    Deepak Sejwal

Post To All Members..

Dear Members,

I have opened this thread to Post the related stuff to help our JATLand members.

Anybody has any stuff related to the earlier posts pls paste here.
    Deepak Sejwal

Deepak....i dont know how it skipped? Its very useful information which i needed as i feel i used to speak GOOD UK ENGLISH....before i joined Jatland and i feel i speak JINGLISH now i mean JAT/JATNI SPEAKING ENGLISH. Jokes apart....i really mean its very good to post this kind of thread here. Though i have noted your thread are very loooooooooooooong but very useful and has good info....i have read only 2.5 part of this post...Dictionary reading is my passtime and i used to love reading dictionary in free time at office UNTIL I JOINED JATLAND....jabse JATLAND join kiya....saari achi aadtein choot gayi....Jatland ki itni bhoondi adat padi....hahahahahaha
    Last edited by sunitahooda; April 21st, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

ya deepak bhai

hi deepak bhai,

I AGREE WITH U AND EVEN I HVE FELT THE DIFFERENCE OF ALL THESE THING WHEN WE GO FOR INTERVIEWS,CONFERENCES AND SOCIAL GATHERINGS.THESE MINUTE THINGS REALLY MATTER A LOT.EVEN THERE IS A SAYING THAT"1ST IMPRESSION IS THE LAST IMPRESSION".

SUNITA MAA'M ITS NOT JATLAND THAT HAS DEGRADED UR ENGLISH SPEAKING SKILL IT IS THE JATTU LANGUAGE THAT U SPEAK WITH UR NEAR AND DEAR ONCE AND AT HOME DAILY.WORK ON THIS ASPECT AT HOME AND U WILL URSELF FEEL THE DIFFERENCE.

Naveen Sir....mujhe pata hai ki its my Haryanwi language....wo to mere arr deepak ki apas ki baat thi....aap please senti matt hona jyada....and i get a rare chance to speak haryanwi....saari kasar yahan jatland par hi poosri karti hoon....

Quote Originally Posted by naveenprakash
    hi deepak bhai,

I AGREE WITH U AND EVEN I HVE FELT THE DIFFERENCE OF ALL THESE THING WHEN WE GO FOR INTERVIEWS,CONFERENCES AND SOCIAL GATHERINGS.THESE MINUTE THINGS REALLY MATTER A LOT.EVEN THERE IS A SAYING THAT"1ST IMPRESSION IS THE LAST IMPRESSION".

SUNITA MAA'M ITS NOT JATLAND THAT HAS DEGRADED UR ENGLISH SPEAKING SKILL IT IS THE JATTU LANGUAGE THAT U SPEAK WITH UR NEAR AND DEAR ONCE AND AT HOME DAILY.WORK ON THIS ASPECT AT HOME AND U WILL URSELF FEEL THE DIFFERENCE.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    bhaisaab vo link ka address hi chpka dena tha na......puri ramayan kyon chap di:D ...thodi memory bach jaati..........
    waise nice info...

Quote Originally Posted by sejwaldeepak
    Dear Members,

I have opened this thread to Post the related stuff to help our JATLand members.

Anybody has any stuff related to the earlier posts pls paste here.

sorry maa'm

sunita ji am very very sorry maine aap aur deepak ji ki baato mein taang adai.

Angry say no to speech improving books

hi friends
    i am a computer engg. final yr. student in ambala
    sorry to whoever called for speech improval by books
    this is terribly wrong
    actually a cheap publicity style for such books
    i am telling from my personal experience that this books are of no use

i can tell u ppl a few ways to work upon the problem:
    1 speak ,speak and speak more as much as u can or u get the chance for
    2 attend and participate in seminars and group discussions
    3 read novels (english), newspapers(must) and any good english journal in regulrly
    4 try to develop self confidence
    5 record ur voice when u speak english , hear it afterwards to know the words u pronounce incorrectly or which shows heavy accent
    6 try and improve the shhortcomings that u find in ur voice while hearing , speak those words regularly
    7 finally, tell me if u still have some problems.

THANK YOU , FOR UR PATIENCE