Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Update from my side!

Update from my side!

Hello All,
    It's been a while since i joined Jatland and it gives me pleasure and satisfaction to read the articles and help our Jat community is providing to each other.
    Just a little update from my side. After finishing my MS in USA, now i'm doing MBA from California State University. I am working as an intern in a local company here and also doing research project with my professor in Decision Support Systems. Our research has been selected for the labor management dept. of City of Fresno County.
    Being 4 years in US universities, i have some insights for those interested in higher studies here at states and will be glad to share it with anyone. Please let me know and keep up the good work!
    Amit

Thats really wondeful !!!
    Best of luck..
    Thanks for offering to help...
    Will surely throw some questions at u :-)

Regards,
    Anuj

Congratulations Amit beta for doing well,
    You are the first from our village Kutabgarh (Delhi) to settle in US and I am proud of u
    regards

Congratulations!! come on and join jat group here in bay area, to help and to get help from each other. send me email or look for my old post for more info!

Namste Ishwar Uncle,
    Thanks for your kind words. I am hanging on in here and you know jab Jaat kuch than le to karke hi chodta hai. Uncleji, where in Australia are you? My cousin Varun Deswal is in Sydney now a days and i saw he already posted a message here.
    To Chaudhary, i have joined your yahoo groups and will look forward to interact with more people there.
    To Anuj, I got your email but i will prefer if you post your queries here so that it will be benefitted to more people.
    rest in next..
    Amit

hi amit
    grt to no about ur achievements n thanx 4 offerin ur help to the aspirants candidates...
    As i hav done MCA(2003) n i m interested in doin MS from America or some good UNIV ..

i w'lll b glad if u could share some of ur experiences with me...lookin forward to hear from u.... w'll sooon join u...

till later...

sunil jakhar

Sunil, If you want to apply in US universities for MS, you need to give GRE and TOEFL first. Then depending on your score, educational background and recommendations, you can apply for universities. I would say give atleast two months for GRE preparation and if you start right away you will be able to apply for fall semester(august) as deadline is normally march for fall semester.
    Let me know if you need more information
    Amit

thanx amit 4 the reply n ofcourse 4 the information...i hav this priliminary info...my main concern is -

1. What r the future prospectes in INDIA or AMERICA once one completes MS from there
    2. As i m M.D. Univ, Rohtak pass out, not from some good UNIV , so Should i c some consultant or i should go ahead myself..
    3. A list of good UNIV(ofcourse admission W'll depend on GRE n Toefel SCORE)
    4. n last but MOST IMPORTANT ...FINANCE...whether w'll i b able to finance myself there once i get admission? (I m concerned about tuition fees n accomodation fees...)

n i m interested in goin there from DEC next year...

ur suggestions n critics r most welcome!!!

regards,

sunil jakhar

check out this website for rankings
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php
    detailed ranking is available in magazine US News America's Best Colleges

If your GPA(percentage) is good in under-grad you should be fine. I did all the paperwork myself from test to visa and turned out fine. But if you are not comfortable, than taking consultant help is not bad. Also, they will guide you in visa process also. But as i said, just a little hard work and you can save that money by doing everything yourself. I personally feel there are three main steps for US. taking test, financial and getting visa. regarding financial, i came here in 2000 with $5000 for tuition fees for 1sem. After that i didn't take any money from home and is able to afford two Masters degree myself. normally students get some form of assistantship after 1st sem and almost everyone gets a on-campus job which is enough to meet monthly requirements. if your score is good, you can directly contact professors at university through email for the research assistantship. you need to do some homework finding your area of interest and professor's research work. Professors here at US universities are very friendly and professional and majority of professors in universities have international students as assistants.
    The grass always looks greener on other side. No doubt, US is a land of opportunities but the future is not as promosing as it used to be. Getting job in India in computers now-a-days seems much easier than in US and that too for international students.
    i can go on and on but i guess this is enough for now
    fell free to post more questions
    Amit

Dear Amit,

I appreciate ur time n suggestions, i hope this gonna to help me n so many other aspiratin candidates in a grt way...keep this up!!!

i w'll b delighted to share some more experiences n w'll b in touch...

thanx a lot...

sunil jakhar

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Hello Lambha
    How r u?
    I am also jat from Indri Gurgaon nearby Sohna. Have u ever been heard this place. Because u relate to kutabgarh which is nearest by my home town. or not. Pls tell me. I pursuing MCA from DAV Institute of Management.

Buy
    Surendra Panwar

Login to view details.
    hi amit,
    first of all congrats for having made big out there at US and thank you for offering your help !!
    this is naresh an undergraduate at iit chennai... 3rd(5th sem) yr mech engg...
    actually i want to do some project in the 2005 summers from some US univ.. since i'm in third yr so i 've not finished any project in IIT as such...... but by the end of next sem(jan to may 05)...i 'll finish the current one!
    By the end of 6th sem i'ld have finished all the standard courses and labs of mech engg... fluid,heat transfer, engines, manufacturing, designing, stength of materials,mechanical measurements.... and thus 'le be able to take project in any specialization available... but given a choice my main interest is in manufacturing proceesses.... !!
    i have a decent cgpa(8.01 / 10) n have done many small projects in past five sems at iit...
    can u help me in some way to get any mech engg core project in some decent US univ...
    I can send a proper resume, in case u can help n need it!!
    signing off
    naresh
    Amit Lamba (Sep 15, 2004 08:48 p.m.):
    Hello All,
    It's been a while since i joined Jatland and it gives me pleasure and satisfaction to read the articles and help our Jat community is providing to each other.
    Just a little update from my side. After finishing my MS in USA, now i'm doing MBA from California State University. I am working as an intern in a local company here and also doing research project with my professor in Decision Support Systems. Our research has been selected for the labor management dept. of City of Fresno County.
    Being 4 years in US universities, i have some insights for those interested in higher studies here at states and will be glad to share it with anyone. Please let me know and keep up the good work!
    Amit

Hi Surendra,
    I have come to Delhi city from kutabgarh when i was 3 yrs old and don't really know much about the neighbouring communities there. I know there is kanjhawala near there and haryana starts after kutabgarh.
    It doesn't matter if i know Sohna or not. What matters is that i know you and good to know you are doing MCA. But i'm not sure what you are asking me in here. Are you planning to come to US or working in India only. India is doing very good in software field and you should not have any problem getting a job there.
    Let me know if i can be of any assistance.
    ENJOY!
    Amit

Surendra Panwar (Oct 12, 2004 07:04 a.m.):
    Hello Lambha
    How r u?
    I am also jat from Indri Gurgaon nearby Sohna. Have u ever been heard this place. Because u relate to kutabgarh which is nearest by my home town. or not. Pls tell me. I pursuing MCA from DAV Institute of Management.

Buy
    Surendra Panwar

Login to view details.
    Dear Friend

Thanks for your response.
    Actually i confused same town nearset my home town near sohna gurgaon haryana. Thanks. I want to job in india. I actually doing job in faridabad as a lab assistant in DAV Institute of Management ISO 9001 organization. I want to a course in Oracle community which upgrade my job profile as better. If u have knowledge about any job requirement in india please do favour with me.

Thank U.

Surendra panwar

Sunil,
    Ensure you are WELL prepared for the GRE. Take more than one practice exam, and do some web searches on various online preparation courses. If you have funding to take the courses, do so. They will always improve your score and it is usually worth the money. High GPA and low GRE scores may cause an Admissions Team to question your undergraduate program. So shoot for the best score you can get!!!

Also, know the top schools in your chosen field. The U.S. News and world report is probably one of the more well known ranking publications. Strive to gain acceptance into the best school you can.
    Best of Luck
    Ravi Chaudhary

sunil jakhar (Sep 29, 2004 03:25 a.m.):
    thanx amit 4 the reply n ofcourse 4 the information...i hav this priliminary info...my main concern is -

1. What r the future prospectes in INDIA or AMERICA once one completes MS from there
    2. As i m M.D. Univ, Rohtak pass out, not from some good UNIV , so Should i c some consultant or i should go ahead myself..
    3. A list of good UNIV(ofcourse admission W'll depend on GRE n Toefel SCORE)
    4. n last but MOST IMPORTANT ...FINANCE...whether w'll i b able to finance myself there once i get admission? (I m concerned about tuition fees n accomodation fees...)

n i m interested in goin there from DEC next year...

ur suggestions n critics r most welcome!!!

regards,

sunil jakhar

Hi Ravi,

Hope You must be doin well, thanx a lot for the suggestions n i m really preparing hard 4 GRE n if need be i w'll definitely go 4 some sort of coachin...n i hav now a lots of information ragardin my concern n i m scrutinizin it...Thanx to JATLAND..it's simply a grt platform to share a lot...

regards,

sunil jakhar

Hi Naresh,
    I am not the best guy in mechanical engg. field but Arizona State University, where i graduated, has very good IE dept. which is among top 10 in US. There are some professors there who have written dozens of books in IE. I would suggest you to go to website http://asu.edu and try to contact the professors directly via email. You never know, when opportunity strikes.
    Also Dr. Birbal Singh from lakehead university, canada is a professor in mechanical dept. and taught the subjects of your interest. He is an active member of jatland and does counselling also. He might be able to help you better than me. You can find his post in education section.
    Hope that helps
    Goodluck,
    Amit

hi amit

hi amit,
    this is sandeep gehlot. doing course in capital market from bombay stock exchange. if u can provide some support as m planning to go for higher education in US or canada...i have done MBA from IIPM, new delhi. looking forward for MS in capital market 2 years down the line. if u can guide me as which one r the best universities for such a course. also m financially not very sound, so also tell me bout the scholarship and financial aids which i can avail.....looking forward for a valuable support from ur side....my mail id is sandeepgehlot1@rediffmail.com
    bye bye

Login to view details.
    hi amit...
    thanks for the reply ..
    ya i know Dr Birbal Singhji... i am in contact with him.. shall try asu.edu too!!.. i 've contact wid some seniors already out there doing phd n MS ...
    so thank u again
    naresh
    Amit Lamba (Oct 15, 2004 07:37 p.m.):
    Hi Naresh,
    I am not the best guy in mechanical engg. field but Arizona State University, where i graduated, has very good IE dept. which is among top 10 in US. There are some professors there who have written dozens of books in IE. I would suggest you to go to website http://asu.edu and try to contact the professors directly via email. You never know, when opportunity strikes.
    Also Dr. Birbal Singh from lakehead university, canada is a professor in mechanical dept. and taught the subjects of your interest. He is an active member of jatland and does counselling also. He might be able to help you better than me. You can find his post in education section.
    Hope that helps
    Goodluck,
    Amit

Hi Sandeep,
    The list of top business schools in us can be found at http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/mba/brief/mbarank_brief.php
    I am not sure if there is MS in Capital Market offered by any university but there are several courses in business schools which offers this subject. In Finance option, there are courses related to capital market, options, portfolio management etc. The top 3 finance schools in us are also listed at the site. US News and World Report contains the listings of top schools in us based on field of interest.
    Now regarding the financial part, business schools in US are more expensive than engineering schools. Even if you get some kind of scholarship or assistantship, still you need to pay a good amount in tuition fees. There are some universities like California State University, Fresno where the tuition for engg. and business school is same. Then in universities like Arizona State University, assistantship covers the tuition fees also. So, whatever university you are applying just go through their website once and get some information regarding the graduate assistantship. The more the ranking of university is, the more would be the fees, it's that simple. You can apply for a study loan in India and pay up to 2 sem of tuition fees. By that time, majority of students get some internship, assistantship or part-time job to complete the degree on their own.
    Hope that helps
    Amit