Thread: Pushups

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Pushups

Could any bhai suggest me a good pushup routine. I have been doing pushups for the last 6 months. i do a set of 30 and do three sets in a day. Plus what diet i should have as i wanna build up my upper body with pushups. I am a veg. Ram ram

bhai take 20 pushups in a set & take 5 sets a day!
    n make sure the way is right, u shud keep gap between ur hands as much as ur shoulders & ur elbows shud touch ur rib cage...

in diet take brunch i e heavy breakfast like milk, bananas, ommlet etc

rock on
    Jit
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Arrow try this

Hi dear,
    try this. have a protien rich diet & drink lot of water.

Floor push-up
    Primary muscle worked: Chest
    • Place hands on the floor (wider than shoulders) and prop your feet together.
    • Slowly bend arms and lower body until elbows are at 90-degree angles.
    • Straighten arms and push up without locking elbows. Keep abs tight throughout the movement.
    • Get back to the starting position and repeat.

Tricep dips
    Primary muscle worked: Triceps
    • Sit on a flat sturdy surface like a window seat with your hands gripping the seat on either sides of your butt.
    • Lift your body off and away from the seat and lower yourself towards the floor till your elbow is at a right angle.
    • Keep your back and shoulders erect and lift yourself up again.
    • Keep your feet together at all times.
    • Get back to the starting position and repeat.

have fun

Best of Luck
    Upendra Singh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The suggestions given by Upendra saab are excellent.

Just to add to it, you must know that over-workout leads to deterioration of muscle. So, do not work out the same muscle every day. You won't see any progress if you keep doing the same workout everday. workout a muscle on day one. Then let it relax for atleast 2 days before you return to it.

The basic behind muscle building is stretching and shrinking. Any muscle building exercise that you do much have two steps.

Step1: Stretch the muscle.

Step 2: Shrink it.

Repeat.

If you are trying to build muscle, try to add free weights to your work out. That adds to the stress applied by your body weight. Higher the stress, the better it is for muscle growth.

Finally, do not exceed sets of extremely stressful- 16-18 repetitions. Do not spread your workout throughout the day. Workout once a day. After every set. Relax till your muscles feel better (usually 2 minutes). The do the second set. Do atleast 12 sets for each muscle during workout.

Most of the info is courtesy of Keshav Dahiya (missing in action). I have tried it and its working really well.

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    Could any bhai suggest me a good pushup routine. I have been doing pushups for the last 6 months. i do a set of 30 and do three sets in a day. Plus what diet i should have as i wanna build up my upper body with pushups. I am a veg. Ram ram
    bhai

dono paro ko bench par rakho or apas mai milaa lo left hand kamar par
    rakh kar ek haath se pushup lagao kam se kam 25 fir right hand se 25.

dono hatho ki fingers ko dill (harts) ke tarah aapas mai jod lo or
    dheere se neeche aao chest dharti par tek do aur teen tak gino
    pher uupr hoojao teen gino pher nich....25 baar

ek maheene contunuous karo.......
    khaane mai soyaabeen bhigo kar lo doodh ke saath, ankurit anaaj lo

netra.......

...Ahhh, Pushups! The best workout routine one can carry with yourself where ever you travel! This simple, cheap (no equipment needed, other than maybe a chair) but effective form of exercise is the inverted form of doing the cumbersum and difficult Bench-presses!

Push-ups are effective when loading yourself in the perfect way (as in not allowing the body ever to get adjusted to your push-up routine!)....
    One way to do that is of course; and if you are just a begginner- is to start with the normal feet and palms flat on the ground (hand position like already mentioned above; just about slightly more than shoulder-width)

Note: People tend to sag their stomach and middle part of the torso when doing pushups; you need to keep the back straight at all times.

And no 'pehelwaan' type swinging motions to lift yourself up....just like the name suggests you 'PUSH up' with the stength of your arms, and working the chest muscles...up in a straight path (and not like some 'dand-baithak' routine!)

Now here is how you make even these simple push-ups work for you the most!

Always do three sets of a decreasing pyramid! (so let's say if you do the first set of 25, then do the second one at least 18-20 and squeeze out at least 10-15 from the last....) that way you shock the muscles into responding!

That is just in terms of the Sets....now here is what you need to do if your body is starting to able to perform these floor push ups with ease (or over time);

If that is the case then use an elevated surface to place your feet up on this time (like the seat of a chair, for example) and with hands still on the floor; now perform the same push-ups! (similarily if you wanna make it even more tougher, you can raise your feet even more higher to let's say place them on the edge of a table to load your body! This inclined style puts more pressure on the routine for the torso, chest and arms... (and then do the same three sets like I mentioned)

Remember where you place the arms really decides which area is being worked on more (I am personally myself not a huge fan of the one arm push-up theatrics)
    For example; if the hands are slightly more than shoulder width apart- you work the chest the most.
    If the hands are placed with almost a foot of width apart between them, then it is the triceps and biceps more than the chest.
    ...and If when the plams are still flat on the ground but the thumb and for-finger are touching each other almost creating a leaf form in-between; then it is the triceps you are targetting and islolating....

So considering all that, here is my advise: Fortunately the biceps and triceps (or the arms) get worked-out in any push-ups no matter where your hand placement is; therefore the 'slightly more than shoulder-width' placement is the most complete and best workout in my mind .....as you can really see huge gains for your chest and arms!

Note: Contrary to how this the push-ups are traditonally and usually percieved; they are in fact excellent for women too! Consider this...you are only lifting what you weigh!
    And no matter what your frame: it helps create a very good upper body phsique!

In the end: Best of luck!!!
    Last edited by shailendra; July 13th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...