Thread: 5 Days to GRE and counting!

5 Days to GRE and counting!

Hey fellows!

I am taking my GRE on the 18th. I have pretty much been through all major study material out there.

However, I was taking the sample tests on the Kaplan software. The "high score or money back guarantee guys."

What I noticed was that the analytical questions were intentionally made so tough that I took 17 minutes on the first 4 questions alone.

This was an unpleasant change compared to the under 25 minutes target that I was hitting on the ETS's real GREs.

I am feeling kind of bogged down after this new turn of events.

Can those who have taken the exam tell me how they felt at the real exam compared to what they saw on the study material?

Is the study material in tune with what I could expect on the exam?

Or is Kaplan just senidng shivers down my "coolo" for no good reason?

hey

hey sumit

besties for your exam dude.

I remember when I gave it in 2002, I was among the last people who gave it in the 2400 pattern. The very next month it changed to 1600 and the essays. What ETS had somehow done to 'balance' out scores was to increase the difficulty level of Analytical section in the last few months of the 2400 pattern. Many of my friends and I got questions which had 4 D arrays or in other words 4 things were changing simultaneously! Hardly did anyone complete the analytical part at that time.

But as u already know about these computer adaptive tests, if you have 35 questions and you get first 30~32 correct and you guess and get last 4 to 5 questions wrong--u will still get something like 780/800 whereas 5 wrong in the beginning and then all 30 correct will fetch u like 500 ...so do give a lot of time for the first few Q's.

Also dont be too bogged down by Kaplan etc...many a times your scores in the actual tests would be much higher as these are normally designed to give more practice and have a harsher scoring.

cheers,

vivek
    I came, I saw, I slept.

hi

hi sumit bhai i took gre recently nd acc to my expereince the most authentic source is powerprep cd by ets...

u will get the similar score in actual gre as in powerprep..

but the change is dat verbal has got sum what easier nd quant more tuffer...

dats y i wud say.. keep it in mind that the quant now is very time consuming ... i had to just kilik at q 23 24 25

dropped my score ...i got 760

verbal keep in m8ind ppl r gettin 3 rcs regualrly sc r of gud level
    ant & analogy shud b a cruise in majority cases.. i got 650 in verbal
    dont hurt urself take it easy :D:D

How was your exam Sumit ????????
    Improve Instead Of Rejecting...

Quote Originally Posted by parity View Post
    How was your exam Sumit ????????
    Honestly guys!

I screwed up!

Got a 680 in Math and 580 in Verbal.

But, I must say something. Vikas was right on the point when he recommended Powerprep.

I might take my exam again in 2 weeks.

I panicked on my Math section because a couple of questions took too long.

LL keep you guys posted.

hi sumit ... scores ok

but u shud only consider taking gre in such a short intervalof tiome if ur real test score nd powerprep scores differ by more tha 50...thats my advice

if u still wish to take gre in a longer duartion then do go thru some solved material of mba prep insti likes of carre launcher etc (only quant)
    the tricks nd tips mentioned in this material is askd as such in many questions

focus on mentall calculation (avoid calci )etc to save time....

ur verbals gud

hope it helps somewhat...
    Last edited by vikaskundu; November 20th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Vikas Yaar!

My powerprep score was 1380.

I just had a panic attack in the middle of the quantitative section. Unfortunately it preceeded the verbal section.

My advice is to switch off the timer on the exam. I got nervous looking at the clock. I was staring more at the clock than the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by vikaskundu View Post
    hi sumit ... scores ok

but u shud only consider taking gre in such a short intervalof tiome if ur real test score nd powerprep scores differ by more tha 50...thats my advice

if u still wish to take gre in a longer duartion then do go thru some solved material of mba prep insti likes of carre launcher etc (only quant)
    the tricks nd tips mentioned in this material is askd as such in many questions

focus on mentall calculation (avoid calci )etc to save time....

ur verbals gud

hope it helps somewhat...

then may b its worth taking it again, keep in mind top schools consider avg of the 2 gre scores...

again ill say if u kud get hold of sum cat material it wud b really helpful

best of luk

Did anyone else who took the GRE face any permutation combination questions?