Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amit Lamba selected for IIT

Sonali Singh (Jul 10, 2004 03:12 p.m.):
    I see too many people saying that one should choose XYZ engineering over computer science/engineering, because all you have to do is take a few programming courses to learn computer science. This is rather naive.

Just like a "luhaar" is no mechanical engineer, and just like a "khaati" is no civil engineer, a mechanical engineer with a few programming courses is no computer scientist.

Sure a mechanical engineer can learn a programming language or two and do low end programming jobs, and in the boom economy of the late 90s might even do quite well.

But under a tighter economy and for high end computer jobs, a mechanical engineer with some programming is no go.

There are too many people with erra-gaeera computer programming diplomas and NIIT courses offering guidance here. Sure, if all these people have been doing is low end application development and web site development (and similar work), they might tend to think the same. Well kuve ka maindak.....you know what I mean !
    May be you have better advice to offer Sonali. I am sure you can enlighten us all with your views. I know most of us are kuve ke mendak. I am sure you must be a whale from Ocean and must have seen the whole world and must be knowing about everything. At least guide us as to how you will like us to be..what is your vision on issues facing community..I am sure like me most members will love hearing your views.

Rajendra

Well you just heard some of my views Rajendra. In this particular case, I don't think taking such a narrow view of a whole field is appropriate. What computer engineers do spans a remarkably vast scope. To do a lot of the high end (and financially and intellectually rewarding) work requires some serious computer science training. Taking a misguided view that a view computer science courses is all you need is very short sighted.

Yes, if all one wants is some job, then perhaps you'll survive.

As for other views I'm sure you keep hearing them. I'll try to contribute as and when I have time.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Ishwar Singh Lamba (Jun 20, 2004 08:17 p.m.):
    Can you all help me on this noble cause. I am also an old IITian (1971), waiting for your advice soon.
    regards
    Didn't have time up my sleeves to go through the entire thread but by now ur nephew must have done away with the branch thingy .

Neither an advice nor a suggestion but just my humble personal opinion -

The two most important decisions of any person's life , in the decreasing order of priority are -

1.Chosing a career for himself / herself.

2.Chosing a spouse for himself / herself.

If a person needs anybody else's advice to make these two choices , or anybody else's advices / wishes are imposed upon him / her , he / she would be just leading his/ her life , he / she wont be living it .Though it's alltogether a different thing whether the person in question has a taste for leading life or living life.

Putting it with an explicit bluntness - Ek kutta bhee binaa kissi kay salaah mashware kay apne liye ek kutyaa dhoond letaa hai , toh kyu ek paRha likhaa insaan apne aap ko akal say itnaa paidal samajhtaa hai kee 10th kay baad arts , science yeah commerce leni hai , engg may entrance clear karne kay baad comp , mech yeah E&T leni hai et al yeh sub kay faislae karne kay liye usko pehle apne Pehle Mummy , papa , mama , mami , tau , tai , chacha , chachi , , saalay , saadu et al say panchayat karwaani parti hai hore uskay baad panchayat faislaa karegi kee choray nay kay paRhna chaah aage .*ROLLS EYES*

THumbs down to such an ANTI PROACTIVE MIND.*DOWN*

Everyone has his own preferences and priorities in life and as such I just despise and feel pity on those folks who supress or try to supress their child's squeals with their shouts.

For example my bro and I have always had a preference for the place and neither for the branch nor for the Institute and so he had very happily against the wishes of all the family members gone for IITBombay - Chemical than for IITG - Computers and I had opted for Computers in a private college in Pune and had without a moments thought discarded Mechanical from REC Allahabad.Later after the completion of the course he discarded a 10 lac Package from HLL and went to US for his PHD , again against the wishes of our parents - Reason being again it was place which was important for him and not the money.The HLL guys had sent him to their plant in some vague and stupid place in Eastern UP ( can't recall the name).He was suppose to stay there for 2 and a half months but in just a fortnight he packed his bag and baggage and tata good bye to all that crap.

We both find ourselves most alive in a , happening and open environments ie - a lounge of liberals amidst a broad minded gentry than to live in stupid , sluggish , mentally claustrophobic and constipated places - ie a coterie of conservatives like Guwahati or Allahabad.*DOWN*

Today both of us are simply elated for the decisions we took against the wishes of our folks .We r just glad that we had those guts and sense to know whats good for us and whats not , what we like and what we don't like .

Sorry if it offends someone or appears as an attempt at digression / derailing.

Courage often comes when one KNOWS what one wants. The tough part is often knowing what one wants/needs.

Dayvraj (Jul 20, 2004 05:23 a.m.):
    Today both of us are simply elated for the decisions we took against the wishes of our folks .We r just glad that we had those guts and sense to know whats good for us and whats not , what we like and what we don't like .

Sorry if it offends someone or appears as an attempt at digression / derailing.

Dayvraj,

You have a valid point regarding making own decision.
    But there is no harm in taking advice (or in explicit bluntness "calling a panchayat") as long as one is sticking with what he likes/wants? As Sonali also mentioned that it's important that the person should know what he wants.

Sometime advice might help a person to make a better judgement. But most important thing is that final decision should be his/her own (Thats what i feel you want to convey).

On lighter note : "Ek kutta bhee binaa kissi kay salaah mashware kay apne liye ek kutyaa dhoond letaa hai..."
    It seems to be typical Bambaiya dialogue from some movie (so-called happening place). Nothing personal Dayvraj. Just a little expectation from a fellow jat bhai to be more thoughtful in his choice of words.

best regards,
    Rahul

[quote]Dayvraj (Jul 20, 2004 05:23 a.m.):
    Putting it with an explicit bluntness - Ek kutta bhee binaa kissi kay salaah mashware kay apne liye ek kutyaa dhoond letaa hai , toh kyu ek paRha likhaa insaan apne aap ko akal say itnaa paidal samajhtaa hai kee 10th kay baad arts , science yeah commerce leni hai , engg may entrance clear karne kay baad comp , mech yeah E&T leni hai et al yeh sub kay faislae karne kay liye usko pehle apne Pehle Mummy , papa , mama , mami , tau , tai , chacha , chachi , , saalay , saadu et al say panchayat karwaani parti hai hore uskay baad panchayat faislaa karegi kee choray nay kay paRhna chaah aage .*ROLLS EYES*

We both find ourselves most alive in a , happening and open environments ie - a lounge of liberals amidst a broad minded gentry than to live in stupid , sluggish , mentally claustrophobic and constipated places - ie a coterie of conservatives like Guwahati or Allahabad.*DOWN*

[quote]Sonali Singh (Jul 20, 2004 09:33 a.m.):
    Courage often comes when one KNOWS what one wants. The tough part is often knowing what one wants/needs.

[quote][b]

Umm...high end philosphy... Dont think so knowing alone is enough to make one courageous. Most people know what they want or what they need. It is the degree of need and lack of compromise with anything other than what one wants, is the basis of courage....week people often compromise their needs and the strong ones go for fuylfilling them. Its like a lion who will not eat grass at the end of day even if hungry and will wait till he gets his lion share...

Rajendra

Login to view details.

My fervent feelings

Advice when most needed is least heeded .

Nothing can be taught , everything has to be learnt.

I personally hold that perspectives from various people NOT their Advices can be of a great help in taking an informed decision but at the same time dude in this case it wasn't the nephew who was seeking perspectives or advices , it is his uncle who is seeking them for the nephew and it appeared that the uncle is interested in imposing his decision .

What I find mind boglingly uncomfortable and appalingly unbelievable to accept is the fact that the Uncle himself who claims to be an ex IITian and possesses a head of silver hair oozing wisdom ( as seems from his avatar) himself doesnt considers himself fit for holding a personal perspective on the issue .

May be I am sounding somewhat conceited / condescending or giving the glimpse of a patronizing attitude but honestly speaking I HATE to say that I just feel pity on him .What makes me feel more tch tch tch is the fact that somewhere in the archives I read that he is living / lived abroad and still such an unconfident approach towards a promising prospect .* THUMBS DOWN AGAIN*

It is amongst the most fundamental of all my beliefs that "Never give an advice in charity , unless the person who needs it actually asks for it himself and before asking for it proves to you with a rational logic that why does he considers that seeking your advice would help him take an informed decision"

Nowhere in the thread it appeared that it's the nephew who is seeking the advice .May be the nephew doesn't have web access but then in that case the thread started should have presented the scenario accordingly .Something like ...

My nephew wants to take an informed decision while opting for a branch / institute / place and since he doesnt have web access he has requested me to do the same for him .Here is his personal perspective on the thing and in the para below is my personal perspective as an ex IITian .These are his parents / folks/ friend's / pallies /Rellies perspectives .These are his and our priorities in the dictionary.com format and these are his and our long term and short term goals and targets in life .THis is what his heart says and this is what his head says .He is in a dilemma and so needs to consider things in more details and accordingly weigh the pros and cons of the same and thereby take a straight smart / street smart decision which in future would make him feel glad.Consequently I invite you all to come up with your loud and proud views.

Rahul Malik (Jul 20, 2004 10:19 a.m.):
    Dayvraj,

You have a valid point regarding making own decision.
    But there is no harm in taking advice (or in explicit bluntness "calling a panchayat") as long as one is sticking with what he likes/wants? As Sonali also mentioned that it's important that the person should know what he wants.

Sometime advice might help a person to make a better judgement. But most important thing is that final decision should be his/her own (Thats what i feel you want to convey).

On lighter note : "Ek kutta bhee binaa kissi kay salaah mashware kay apne liye ek kutyaa dhoond letaa hai..."
    It seems to be typical Bambaiya dialogue from some movie (so-called happening place). Nothing personal Dayvraj. Just a little expectation from a fellow jat bhai to be more thoughtful in his choice of words.
    Pardner it's simply a practical and pragmatic thing and trust me I don't owe these words to plagiarism .Everything original ( May be thought provoking and interesting too )

I just presented my personal views on the subject , if they sounded rude or crude and me apologising for the same would cheerish even a single soul then mhaari us bhalay maanas say dono haath joR kay praarthnaa haigi kee taau mainNay baalak samajh kay maaphi dae day .

*CHEERS*

Login to view details.

If I were in Amit Lamba's place then

without even a moments thinking I would have filled the counselling sheet as

IITB - Any branch in the following order

Computer , electrical , Chemical , Mechanical , Instrumentation ,

CHemical before Mechanical as work load / hours / week are minimum in Chemical and computers .

My Priorities
    1.PLACE
    2.BRANCH
    3.INSTITUTE.

But then to each one his / her own thoughts .

Dayvraj Beta,
    Thanks for your nice advice.
    That was the whole purpose to get more information from people.
    There are lot of people specially the young blood like on this site who have helped us.
    Also old in not always gold, but at this age of 60 I can say that one should be bit careful in choice of the words and this becomes more inportant when writting.
    with love
    Ishwar Lamba
    -------------------------------------
    without even a moments thinking I would have filled the counselling sheet as

IITB - Any branch in the following order

Computer , electrical , Chemical , Mechanical , Instrumentation ,

CHemical before Mechanical as work load / hours / week are minimum in Chemical and computers .

My Priorities
    1.PLACE
    2.BRANCH
    3.INSTITUTE.

But then to each one his / her own thoughts .[/quote]

I sometimes wonder how can anyone like or live in a city in which he is sure to be confronted by the worst conditions of humanity on this planet (read 7 million jhuggi walas),filthy beaches..every day!...I would choose Delhi over B'bay and IITD over IITB anyday!...only my personal opinion..!

Login to view details.

I seriously dont understand why sonali and Dayvraj have taken the topic in a diff. direction ...
    Sonali, I strongly belive what ever you do, two things are important; you need to love what you are doing and you need to have knowledge abt what you are doing. There is no job higher than other. As I realise you are a lawyer, you might be too good in using words, but this is a simple truth of what is called perfect work for a person. What ever you do, doesnt matter. I was really surprised to read the way you compared mechanical engg, computer engg. and the word u used ("kuve ka maindak") for some of the members at Jatland. When makes you an expert to say such a thing abt other ppl. Would you like it, if I being an IITian and doing my research on what is being called "Hot Research" ,look down on your work and position? I am sure there are many ppl on this site who have graduated from grt universities (in India/USA), and who are at really high positions, if everyone starts doing this, the whole reason of being a member of this site is lost. I expect you to know every one has a right to expression, and all these members were trying to be helpful in what ever way they can be to Lamba uncle.
    I am an ex-IITian and its been only two yrs since I graduated ....if my brother/sis goes for IIT in the coming 5-8 yrs, I will ask the same questions. Dept. rankings/Profs/research/courses offered change at the speed you cant imagine....n Lamba uncle graduaated 30 yrs back, believe me things have changed a lot since then.
    I remember my self 6 yrs back, I was in the same state as Amit is today,I liked eveything; chemistry, physics, mechanics, maths, programming ..almost everything ....It gets tough to decide, you r a kid after all ...you need ppls view point, then you analyze things yurself n then you make a decision ....
    Its my personal request to you, not to use statements which can offend members on this site, specially where there are ppl much older to us.
    So, lamba uncle, what did Amit decide.
    Babita

Babita:

What on earth are you talking about ? Did you even read the posts before you started foaming at the mouth ?

You were correct in one aspect. I am not too shabby with words. I have to admit guilt here. So, "Guilty as charged your honor! Please pardon me."

But, honestly, given your fine education I would have expected you to have acquired finer comprehension skills. Where did things go wrong ? You don't seem to have a clue to the gist of what was being said !

I'd rather not waste too much time on this. So lets just give it one more try, and then that's it. Go ahead and try reading the thread once more and see if we can do better this time. Make sure you read right from the start. We wouldn't want to miss anything, would we now ?

Let me know how things go. We can talk further after that. I am sure you can do this right, the second time around.

Sonali

PS: If I am not mistaken weren't you studying Physics in IITD some time back ? Slightly on the darker side ? I heard you had a good shoulder on your head (no ! I typed that correctly, ha ha ). It's a small world, especially amongst us Jats, isn't it ?

How is Uncle Dhayal doing ? Its been ages since I last saw him ! He must really be proud of his little girl.

And oh yes, if I seem a bit tough with my words do overlook it, won't you dear ? I guess it comes with being a lawyer. We don't win those cases by being polite. I'm sure you comprehend (oh no ! there I go again.)

Also, you might want to skip the advice regarding elders and so on. I think I can manage on my own. Would really appreciate that !

So shhwweet !

[quote]Babita (Jul 22, 2004 02:20 p.m.):
    I seriously dont understand why sonali and Dayvraj have taken the topic in a diff. direction ...

[...A whole lot of mumbo jumbo deleted....]

Practical Humor:

There is statistically significant evidence that a female to female war of words on Jatland is more likely than any other combination thereof.
    _(~)_

Hi Everybody,

First of all we all should be happy that someone of us got selected in IIT.That is the great news for our community.How many of our community student get admission in IIT everyyear?Only a few!!

Here someone is asking advice regarding the selection of careers not the useless arguments on it. Nobody is forcing here that you give your advice here.If you have some good idea and wanna share then you should.Otherwise I think there is no need to do argument which is of no helpful to anyone except subject of word fighting.
    Save your enery for some great work also.

Please don't mind it.

-Balraj

Balraj:

Discussion/arguments/points and counter points are a normal part of discussions. I think it is okay to express our opinions. Some of us do so vigorously, others in more subdued manner. That's just the way forums of this nature work.

As long as generally acceptable decorum and decency is maintained I don't see any harm in saying what we think. Let us not make these forums so sterile that nobody has anything to say, out of politeness for the others.

It seems that every second person here starts giving advice on what words to use, how to address elders and so on. Maybe folks here differ, but when I read something, all I see is the words, not who wrote them, or how old that person is.

Let people have some leeway in how/what they want to say. That is what brings interesting issues out, not some strictly enforced code of conduct where every little deviance causes the "Behaviour Police" to wave their batons.

[quote]Balraj Dahiya (Jul 23, 2004 01:10 a.m.):

Here someone is asking advice regarding the selection of careers not the useless arguments on it.

Login to view details.

Thanks sonali for these "beautiful" words....YES I have a head on my shoulders and YES Sonali my Dad is very pround of his little girl ....and I hope to continue in a way tht always will make him proud of me ....and yes, this post of yurs tells me a lot abt yur broad attitude
    PS: Its not easy to get things right in one's life, some try to work on it, some like it that way !!!!!

[quote]Sonali Singh (Jul 22, 2004 10:37 p.m.):
    Babita:

What on earth are you talking about ? Did you even read the posts before you started foaming at the mouth ?

You were correct in one aspect. I am not too shabby with words. I have to admit guilt here. So, "Guilty as charged your honor! Please pardon me."

But, honestly, given your fine education I would have expected you to have acquired finer comprehension skills. Where did things go wrong ? You don't seem to have a clue to the gist of what was being said !

I'd rather not waste too much time on this. So lets just give it one more try, and then that's it. Go ahead and try reading the thread once more and see if we can do better this time. Make sure you read right from the start. We wouldn't want to miss anything, would we now ?

Let me know how things go. We can talk further after that. I am sure you can do this right, the second time around.

Sonali

PS: If I am not mistaken weren't you studying Physics in IITD some time back ? Slightly on the darker side ? I heard you had a good shoulder on your head (no ! I typed that correctly, ha ha ). It's a small world, especially amongst us Jats, isn't it ?

How is Uncle Dhayal doing ? Its been ages since I last saw him ! He must really be proud of his little girl.

And oh yes, if I seem a bit tough with my words do overlook it, won't you dear ? I guess it comes with being a lawyer. We don't win those cases by being polite. I'm sure you comprehend (oh no ! there I go again.)

Also, you might want to skip the advice regarding elders and so on. I think I can manage on my own. Would really appreciate that !

So shhwweet !

Babita (Jul 22, 2004 02:20 p.m.):

[...A whole lot of mumbo jumbo deleted....]

Always there for you, dear. Apno kay liye nahin toh kiske liye ?

[quote]Babita (Jul 23, 2004 11:15 a.m.):
    Thanks sonali for these "beautiful" words....

Login to view details.
    Babita:

Indeed you have a good head on your shoulders, a kind heart and the basic human decency...and yes, any father will be proud of a daughter like you!

Best wishes!

Sujata

Babita Beta,
    Thanks for putting my thread on the right track.
    I am very happy to know u are are also from IITD.
    Are you related to my friend Sh Narain Singh Dhayal working for Iindian Standards
    With regards
    Ishwar Lamba
    ----------------------------------
    Sonali, I strongly belive what ever you do, two things are important; you need to love what you are doing and you need to have knowledge abt what you are doing. There is no job higher than other. As I realise you are a lawyer, you might be too good in using words, but this is a simple truth of what is called perfect work for a person. What ever you do, doesnt matter. I was really surprised to read the way you compared mechanical engg, computer engg. and the word u used ("kuve ka maindak") for some of the members at Jatland. When makes you an expert to say such a thing abt other ppl. Would you like it, if I being an IITian and doing my research on what is being called "Hot Research" ,look down on your work and position? I am sure there are many ppl on this site who have graduated from grt universities (in India/USA), and who are at really high positions, if everyone starts doing this, the whole reason of being a member of this site is lost. I expect you to know every one has a right to expression, and all these members were trying to be helpful in what ever way they can be to Lamba uncle.
    I am an ex-IITian and its been only two yrs since I graduated ....if my brother/sis goes for IIT in the coming 5-8 yrs, I will ask the same questions. Dept. rankings/Profs/research/courses offered change at the speed you cant imagine....n Lamba uncle graduaated 30 yrs back, believe me things have changed a lot since then.
    I remember my self 6 yrs back, I was in the same state as Amit is today,I liked eveything; chemistry, physics, mechanics, maths, programming ..almost everything ....It gets tough to decide, you r a kid after all ...you need ppls view point, then you analyze things yurself n then you make a decision ....
    Its my personal request to you, not to use statements which can offend members on this site, specially where there are ppl much older to us.
    So, lamba uncle, what did Amit decide.
    Babita[/quote]

All,
    Finally Amit is joining IITR will be doing Electrical Engineering

I am very thankful to all of you who have contributed for this noble cause.
    Because Amit did not have a email, I had printed this thread and all other emails on this subject and posted him.
    I am happy that Amit will be joining with my friend Dr Prem Vrat, Director IIT Roorkee
    Regards
    Ishwar Lamba