Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

The Dutch will triumph....

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    Podolski, Lahm and Frings were the best players of the night. Schweinsteiger started on bench and despite a poor season he did quite ok.

So, the day comes.... Italy play Netherlands tonight. Dutch are not even half of their strength and many major players are missing for tonight's clash with the mighty Azzurri. That is sad. I hope and pray Italy wins this one. Well, they all are champions I cannot just keep my eyes only on a selected few of them. Still... Buffon, Pirlo, Zambrotta would be my favourites for tonight's clash. Not sure who all will play upfront. Camaronesi and Toni definitely will play...third could be Di Natale to begin with. Cassano and Del Piero might be the substitutes. In their last meeting in Euro 200 semis... (I almost had an heart attack that day), Zambrotta was red carded in 34th minute and despite getting two penalties in normal time Netherlands went on to lose in penalty shoot-out.

And don't I love Gattuso...well he seems like a JAT in Azzurri. The bull can run 10000 kilometers on pitch. he hehe ! Number 10 jersey is with De Rossi, the AS Roma midfielder. Del Piero hasn't been a success at international level, I hope and pray that he turns the table upside down and scores tonight. He belongs to my favourite Juventus and has been an icon for the powerhouse club and so has my backing. Go Del Piero.....score.

Italia Italia Italia.... !

Group of Death

In the other match in the Group of Death, France faces Romania. Many have claimed that Romania could bring up nice surprise in this group. Well, for that we will have to wait and watch.

France is a good team, one of the favourites but I am sad. Flamini has not been included in the team for Euro and Nicholas Anelka is expected to start. Anelka to me has been the worst French footballer of all time. All his life he's been changing clubs. I hope I dont have to eat my words after this tournament. he he he ! But then, seriously..... Anelka??? My goodness!! Juventine goal machine Trezeguet was in form having scored 20 goals in Serie A. But anyways, I dont know what's up with Domenech. An adamant coach that he is.

Anyways... Ribery is supposed to continue with his stupendous form with Bayern Munich. Not to mention he is the prime target for Chelsea the coming season. Henry, though had a pathetic season at Nou Camp, hopefully would show what he was at Arsenal once. Gallas, Thuram and Makelele are expected to play at positions they have been playing for more than a decade now.

All in all a good contest coming up...though Ribery is no Zidane but then he too can inspire fellow French on pitch. And, did I forget to mention Benzema. How silly of me. He's awesome and can prove his worth in this tournament.

May the better team win. France hi jeetna chhaiye yaar. !

Aur Italy bhi jeetni chhaiye .... one of the best goalkeepers of all times -- Buffon has been appointed as Azzurri captain. Dutch are not at their full strength and better players are not playing this against Italy....Robben, Babel, Van Persie are far better than Schneider and Van der Vaart...anyday. Let's see what happens....

May Italy win !
    Last edited by sumitsehrawat; June 9th, 2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: May Italy win ... :)!

Anelka to me has been the worst French footballer of all time. All his life he's been changing clubs.
    If thats your criterion for choosing the best and the worst then Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career he has changed 10 clubs, not staying in a single club for more than 2 years.
    And mind you Dear Sumit,Nicolas Anelka is the costliest footballer of all time because combined value of his transfer fees (€108m) makes him.
    Last edited by VPannu; June 9th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Yes, you caught me right. It is my personal hatred for Anelka. he he he !

You are very right about Toni switching max no. of clubs but then he's done exceptionally well atleast for the last season in Bayern. He was next to only Cristiano Ronaldo this season. Are players not selected for their recent performances? What has Anelka done till date? I do not seem to have an answer for that.

Anelka being the costliest footballer?? Seems you didn't understand the trick behind this statement. The 87 Million pounds spent on him are the total money spent on him by all FCs since he left PSG in 1997. This is NOT one transaction. What he was spent on after 8 transfers is something good players can account for in 2 or say 3 transfers. Ok yes, you can talk about the time value of Money also .... 1997-2008. If this is analyzed properly then blve me this achievement (I wonder if it is) is of no proud to Nicholas. Performance is what matters and performance is one area he's disappointed many around the world.

Real Madrid once took him only for him to sit on bench. Chelsea is already reconsidering his stay at Stamford Bridge. Whatever little good time he had was at Man City. Oh yes, you can say he did quite ok at Bolton too. But then, he's been switching because all these clubs seem to have miscalculated his talent. And, you are right .... Luca Toni is no great player. I agree. He's just ordinary... but then his height could be used and so has been used by Bayern and Fiorentina and Palermo in the past. If you look at Toni's record then he might not have played in great clubs as actually Anelka managed to do but then talking about performance.... forget that Anelka can match Toni. He cannot. 110 odd goals in last 180 odd matches is no joke. And just for your knowledge, it is Toni who has been dictating his transfers since 2003. This includes the deal when he left Baggio (at Brecia) to move to Palermo in 2003 and then to Fiorentina two years later and then again after two years to Munich. And it is him who recently rejected moving to Milan despite Ancelotti cryings. Ancelotti's finding it tough to protect his own position at San Siro though.

At International level, Anelka's record is poor as compared to the Juventus hero. Not that I like Trezequet...(the silly boy took Euro out of Italy's hands in 2000...) but fact is a fact. Anelka is no match for 'Trezegol'.

Only way I can eat my words is if Anelka performs in this tournament which atleast I doubt he will. You please wish he does. I'll be happy to change my viewpoint on the flop star.

P.S.: Well I love Italy the TEAM and not just Toni.... so your indirect message nullifies. (Brackets me ...Italian)

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpannu View Post
    If thats your criterion for choosing the best and the worst then Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career he has changed 10 clubs, not staying in a single club for more than 2 years.
    And mind you Dear Sumit,Nicolas Anelka is the costliest footballer of all time because combined value of his transfer fees (€108m) makes him.
    Last edited by sumitsehrawat; June 9th, 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Anelka the flop show...

Get your calculators out Vivek.

1. Luca Toni has been playing for 14 years as compared to Anelka's 13.

2. Luca Toni has played 414 matches while Anelka 396.

3. Luca Toni has scored 200 goals while Anelka is struggling at 125 goals in 13 years.

4. Luca Toni has 15 goals out of 34 matches he's played for Italy while Mr Anelka has only 11 goals in 48 matches for France.

Luca Toni won European Golden Shoe for year 2005-06, he was Serie A top scorer in 2006, Bundesliga Top scorer in 2007-08, UEFA cup top scorer in 2007-08 .... .what on earth was Anelka doing all this while?

So who's having a comparatively shorter career and who's the flop show??

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpannu View Post
    Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career ....
    Last edited by sumitsehrawat; June 9th, 2008 at 11:51 PM.

Angry Netherlands blanks Italy 3-0

Dear Sandeep, you speculated it right. !

Half-strength Netherlands thrashed world champions Italy.

Ruud’s goal was a poor decision by the referee. Sad, but such mistakes happen so let’s not make an excuse of that. Sneijder, Van Der Vaart and Van Bronckhorst were outstanding. Netherlands completely outplayed Italy in the first half. With Cannavaro gone I blve its time to get Nesta out of retirement. Irony was that Italian defence was its pathetic best. !!

Netherlands took revenge of their dramatic Euro 2000 semi-final loss to Italy. Today, Netherlands outclassed Italy. Poor football from Italy. Only Pirlo and Grosso were good. Donadoni needs to do a lot of work out there. Kudos to Van Basten. With Robben to return, this dutch side seems to be serious about the tournament.

BEST GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT so far. Somehow I managed to avoid a heart attack and so happened to write this post. he he he !

This group certainly is the group of Death. Italy Vs France should be one hell of a match. And I shall be able to watch it in Delhi… no more Sopcast... finally I'll be watching on my TV. Come on Italia….. got to win all matches now.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkadian05 View Post
    The Dutch will triumph....

Netherlands beats Italy 3-0 unexpected and another one Russia Vs Romania 0-0. Correctly said Pool of Death now Euro is going be more hotter lets wait and see other blunders which may happen in next matches. :tamatar
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Espana....!!

Spain plays Russia. Cool!

Spain Vs Yugoslavia at Euro 2000 was the best international football match I ever watched. The way Spain came from behind and beat Yugoslavia 4-3 after scoring 2 goals in last 5 mins…. Only put cherry on the cake. Right from minute one that was THE MATCH. Spain has always been my second favorite (in Europe) after Italy despite the fact they both have very different styles of playing. But sadly, they have not won at senior level international stage since 1968. In Euro'84 they were the finalists....

So, the underachievers begin their campaign tonight. Spain, like always, has wonderful players. Of what Spanish football has given to the world, I believe they deserve to win this tournament. Raul isn’t there… but the Villa is in fine form and what to say of Torres…the striker who’s considered as to be the next Raul if not better. “El Nino” as he’s known is actually not a kid to word football. I would rate him as the best striker in Europe. He’s simply amazing. The fantabulous Fabregas, Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta are very good in midfield. At back Casillas and Sergio Ramos should be enough to thwart Russia’s attacks but the tiring legs of Puyol can provide Russians a chance. Puyol is a very good defender but then he’s become very slow nowadays. If I were the coach I would not start him.

For Russia, Arshavin is suspended while Pogrebnyak has been ruled out of the tournament. But then Russia’s biggest strength I believe is in their coach Mr Guus Hiddink.

Spain should win this one…and the tournament (just in case Italy bows out early…)

In another match, defending champions Greece play Swedan. Well, it was so good to see Greece beating France, the Czech and Portugal (two times) in the last edition to win the tournament. But then I have not much hope from them this time. And, I cannot even spell or pronounce any of their player’s names so I cannot talk much about them.

Sweden…. hmm… Ibrahimovic is injured but still may start the game. He had a good season but these days is more confused weighing options of playing in Barcelona or under Mourinho at Inter. Ljungberg, not sure if he still can create those runs of his. The best Swedish footballer of all time -- Larsson, has once again come out of retirement to play for the national team. Hoping he does well.

I bet on Torres for the highest goal scorer in this tournament. Germany’s Podolski would definitely be among the top ones.

Thumbs up Donadoni all to blame?

I agree with this....point by point. Especially the "Defence" and "What's next?" paragraphs.
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx...Id=730741#Comm

Fabulous football from the Dutch side especially Robin Persie and Arjen Robben. I loved the 2nd dutch goal, a move totally created by Robben and what a clinical finish from Persie. Sneijder rubbed salt on French wounds as the game was moments away from full time. A number of chances were fumbled by the French and dont know what was wrong with Henry. He is a prolific scorer in league games but not when it comes to big ties like this. Anyway he found himself lucky to get his name on scoresheet.

Hup Holland Hup

I am all for the Dutchies this time.

Yesterday my favourite Ballack's 30 meter goal ensures Germany place in Quater finals. And its going to be Hot favourite Portugal Vs My Favourite Germany , what a match its going to be.
    And todays its going to be Elimination match between Italy and france.
    Now Football at its best...................:rock:rock
    Plant one tree atleast

Getting a bit funny eh???? This tournament..... Russia and Turkey may well be contesting the final.........

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkadian05 View Post
    Getting a bit funny eh???? This tournament..... Russia and Turkey may well be contesting the final.........

Ya sandeep that can also happen but i wish Germany will win the Euro cup but they have to be carefull from Turkeish Goal keeper he is doing damn good. Let's see what happen next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plant one tree atleast

Spain Spain Spain!!! All The Way

Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post
    Ya sandeep that can also happen but i wish Germany will win the Euro cup but they have to be carefull from Turkeish Goal keeper he is doing damn good. Let's see what happen next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If thats the case what do you reckon of Casillas? He flew left, right and produced priceless magical saves to sail the Spanish ship through to the semis. I so want Spain to lift the cup.
    GER >> :boxing <<ESP

Turkish first choice goalkeeper is injured mate, he is not playing. As for Rustu their second choice you saw in the QF, he is old and slow and it was just that the croats kept shooting wide of the post...

Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post

Smile Russian flags in stadium...a treat to eyes!!

Dutch were never so good in this tournament...just that they were finishing well n the opponents were not. Italy weren't bad against them, neither were the French. Dutch defence was well exploited by the Hiddink army. That was the match of the tournament, for me.

Portugal?? Well, they were more concerned with Real Madrids (stupid Ronaldo) and Chelseas (stubborn Scolari). They were the Talent but got what they deserved. For a change I liked Ricardo at the goal. He was very good.

Italy vs Spain was one of the most boring matches of recent times. Italy were bad. Without Pirlo they were absolutely ZERO in midfield. De Rossi was playing more defensive. King Buffon is always diving the wrong side in shootouts(not in match penalties ...hehehe). The Juve man - Chellini, was outstanding though. Toni proved he is no less than Anelka. Never scored. Spain are not going into the semis with a good match. They were very disappointing against Italy. The strategy was to keep the ball and I think Spain played at their slowest pace. Never in history I saw Spain playing so slow. But their stategy payed off, they held Italy and later threw them out in shootouts. Italy were slower. Russia, as predicted, has continued the flair with which Zenit played UEFA Cup last season. Arshavin inspires...

Would love to see Russia winning....n if not then let Spain enjoy the glory. But no Germany and definitely not Turkey. But the way Turkey has, so far, finished matches in this tournament...wow!! Football is a wonderful game.

Hiddink turned down Chelsea (dollars) only to guide Russia to (and IN)South Africa in 2010. He loves challenges. btw "All India Football Federation" got any money??? ..............Hiddink:o!!

May Russia/Spain win!!

If I were to choose one dark-horse of this edition of Euro.... it would be Guus Hiddink's Russia. Russia is the reason of England's absence in Euro 2008.

Not to mention the other day Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to win UEFA cup. Previously, in semis they had outclassed Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate.

However, Russia’s captain and best player, Andrei Arshavin, is suspended for the first two games of the tournament. That's a major blow, because he’s not a player easily replaced right now considering his magic during Zenit’s UEFA Cup run. Pavel Pogrebnyak is another player who is hugely gifted....again from Zenit.

Would love to see them do well. btw, Guus never disappoints!

Turkey is the best finisher as of now....it seems they are on Mission Istanbul . who knows there might be another surprise this time also like the greeks did last time..... best part is that soccer is the winner with some stunning performances....

sad for sumit's fav Italy's loss...better luk nxt time

Would love to see Russia winning....n if not then let Spain enjoy the glory. But no Germany and definitely not Turkey. But the way Turkey has, so far, finished matches in this tournament...wow!! Football is a wonderful game.

May Russia/Spain win!!

My guess, Germany and Russia will play final.
    Yoginder Gulia

I can only wish (not expect) Italy win all. hehehe!
    Outside Europe, Europeans don't win. 2010 is (Messi + Aguero)'s World Cup. Argentina jeetegi... !

Quote Originally Posted by sandeeprathee View Post
    sad for sumit's fav Italy's loss...better luk nxt time