Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

Euro 2008

Hey friends,

So it is time. All the foot-action would be in Switzerland and Austria mid-2008.
    I have been a devout fan of Italian football (Roberto Baggio made me one). It was awesome when Italy won the World Cup in Germany. Would love to see them winning the Euro 2008 too though the configuration is quite different. Wonder if Donadoni has enough in his head to crack the Group of Death. Italy, France, Romania and Netherlands constitute this group. Lippi ofcourse would be missed.

Let's share who all are supporting what all countries.

Thanks,
    Sumit
    Last edited by sumitsehrawat; January 31st, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

All the ammunition lies in Group C.
    I would love to watch either Spain or Portugal lifting the cup.
    Players to watch Deco, Maniche, C.Ronaldo, Hugo Almeida, Luis GarcĂ*a Fernández, David Albelda.

England-where are they?!!! heheheheh.

Anyway, I've given up on predicting the winners, especially after Euro-2004. Everybody thought it was France's, Portugal's or England's. Lo and behold! Greece came out of nowhere to win the tournament.

So far as backing a team is concerned, I'll root for Spain -- high time they win a silverware.
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!

Well the bull-headed men (although they are not that bull-headed ;-) when its not about games) rightly deserve it...and why not...they are simply crazy about football (and ofcourse car race as well) and they do play well.
    Just talk to a common man.....job hoga nahin hoga thats a second thing...lets concentrate on football match first he he ....So obviously they have list of quality players....Lets see who lift this time...

Well let's wait n watch. Deco is superb. Sorry but in my opinion Maniche doesn't belong to THE category though. C. Ronaldo....well what to say of him. Talent wise he seems to be the best in the world but then he should be told what and how Denilson suffered. The day he is not selfish on pitch he would be lethal. Portugal, naah.... I have a silly reason for never supporting them. In Europe they seem more South Americans :-)!

Spain, well yes.... they have been the underachievers. Their style of football is awesome to watch. I bet Fernando Torres can be a hero of Euro 2008. He's just electric.

All eyes, still, would be on the Group of Death. France, Netherlands and Italy. Romania need some George Hagi to see them through there.

Let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpannu View Post
    All the ammunition lies in Group C.
    I would love to watch either Spain or Portugal lifting the cup.
    Players to watch Deco, Maniche, C.Ronaldo, Hugo Almeida, Luis GarcĂ*a Fernández, David Albelda.

Right Kabir. Greece surprised the entire world in 2004. Their back to back performance against France, the Czech and Portugal shocked the entire world. And, importantly, they were loved for it.

I would love to see a repeat of Euro 2000 finals though with the results reversed. Italy scoring the winner with just 13 seconds to go. The heart that broke in 2004 needs only the same but reversed ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by kabir View Post

Anyway, I've given up on predicting the winners, especially after Euro-2004. Everybody thought it was France's, Portugal's or England's. Lo and behold! Greece came out of nowhere to win the tournament.

So far as backing a team is concerned, I'll root for Spain -- high time they win a silverware.

Quote Originally Posted by kabir View Post

i was in birminhgam on that day(21st november)........people were really not so excited about the match as a draw was enough for the three lions to go the euro cup.....and the english team was in realy good form at that time...after winning three games in a row away from home.....but that silly mistake by robinson in the 5th minute of the match was a blunder.........and again in second half....do you remember the amazing goal of peter crouch on beckham free kick was the highlight of the match.........but the croats scored again in the second half and england lost 2-3......next day everyone was so sad....i still remember when people where singing god saves the english football....instead of queen.....

Kick Off

In less than 4 hours time the first match of much awaited EURO 08 will be kicking off at Basel in SUI, when Czech Republic takes on Switzerland. I root for the Czechs. Would be a tough task to hit the Czech net when Cech is there. Moreover, Milan Baros and Jaroslav Plasil would be players to watch in my opinion. Wat u say all soccer frenzy jatlanders.

So finally the action is about to start. Cool ! Czech should win this one.
    According to me Milan Baros will start on bench....Tomas Rosicky would be missed...and the guy from Juventus...(Grygera) should get a chance tonight.

Forza Italia!!

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpannu View Post
    In less than 4 hours time the first match of much awaited EURO 08 will be kicking off at Basel in SUI, when Czech Republic takes on Switzerland. I root for the Czechs. Would be a tough task to hit the Czech net when Cech is there. Moreover, Milan Baros and Jaroslav Plasil would be players to watch in my opinion. Wat u say all soccer frenzy jatlanders.

CZECH won the opener match.
    Hail the spirit of the game.
    Live up to it people.

Dark-horse...!!

If I were to choose one dark-horse of this edition of Euro.... it would be Guus Hiddink's Russia. Russia is the reason of England's absence in Euro 2008.

Not to mention the other day Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to win UEFA cup. Previously, in semis they had outclassed Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate.

However,
    Russia’s captain and best player, Andrei Arshavin, is suspended for the first two games of the tournament. That's a major blow, because he’s not a player easily replaced right now considering his magic during Zenit’s UEFA Cup run. Pavel Pogrebnyak is another player who is hugely gifted....again from Zenit.

Would love to see them do well. btw, Guus never disappoints!

all the best sumit...hope your dream comes true
    "LIFE TEACHES EVERY ONE IN A NATURAL WAY.NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THIS REALITY"

Thanks Dev Sir.

Waise... dream is to see Italy win all the matches they play till I die.... he he he []! Team Azzurri is my heartbeat ever since 'The Divine Ponytail' shone in US'94.

Forza Italia!!

Sad News...

It is so disappointing to know that major stars from Netherlands would not be playing against Italy on Monday. !!

Van Persie and Robben have been ruled out for this clash against Italy as they are injured. Latest dutch teen sensation Babel was earlier ruled out of the competition when he picked up injury. Seedorf had also earlier publicly snubbed coach Van Basten and embarrassed every lover of "total football". Dutch football seems to be in tatters.

Italy would miss captain Cannavaro but then if one remembers well, they also missed their then best defender 'Nesta' in the world cup...but still won the tournament. They are 'THE TEAM'.

Forza Italia...... !!

Angry Pogrebnyak out of the tournament.

Injured Pogrebnyak Accepts Fate

Russia striker Pavel Pogrebnyak has grudgingly accepted his fate after being ruled out of UEFA EURO 2008.

The 24-year-old Zenit St. Petersburg striker has failed to recover from a knee cartilage problem that has plagued him since the 2-1 friendly win against Serbia on 28 May – and has now been ruled out of the tournament.
    The news comes as a major blow to the forward, who was beginning to enjoy greater prominence on both the club and international scene.

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    If I were to choose one dark-horse of this edition of Euro.... it would be Guus Hiddink's Russia. Russia is the reason of England's absence in Euro 2008.

Not to mention the other day Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to win UEFA cup. Previously, in semis they had outclassed Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate.

However,
    Russia’s captain and best player, Andrei Arshavin, is suspended for the first two games of the tournament. That's a major blow, because he’s not a player easily replaced right now considering his magic during Zenit’s UEFA Cup run. Pavel Pogrebnyak is another player who is hugely gifted....again from Zenit.

Would love to see them do well. btw, Guus never disappoints!

I think either Germany or Portugal will win Euro2008.
    Yoginder Gulia

GERMANY playing tonight...

Germany is one of the favourites to win this tournament. Tonight they play their first game of the tournament...against Poland. There are many good players in this German squad but my eyes would be on Schweinsteiger, Podolski and Lahm. The German Gerrard (Schweinsteiger) is simply awesome with those kicks of his from 30-35 yards from goal. Ballack, I hope, does well...at Chelsea he's no more than a puppet...but does well in German shirt. Klose scores but his game is very boring. Frings could be treat to eyes as well. Podolski and Schweinsteiger are my favs in this German Squad.

Also... http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=688561

Forza Italia!!

Italy Vs The Netherlands

Podolski, Lahm and Frings were the best players of the night. Schweinsteiger started on bench and despite a poor season he did quite ok.

So, the day comes.... Italy play Netherlands tonight. Dutch are not even half of their strength and many major players are missing for tonight's clash with the mighty Azzurri. That is sad. I hope and pray Italy wins this one. Well, they all are champions I cannot just keep my eyes only on a selected few of them. Still... Buffon, Pirlo, Zambrotta would be my favourites for tonight's clash. Not sure who all will play upfront. Camaronesi and Toni definitely will play...third could be Di Natale to begin with. Cassano and Del Piero might be the substitutes. In their last meeting in Euro 200 semis... (I almost had an heart attack that day), Zambrotta was red carded in 34th minute and despite getting two penalties in normal time Netherlands went on to lose in penalty shoot-out.

And don't I love Gattuso...well he seems like a JAT in Azzurri. The bull can run 10000 kilometers on pitch. he hehe ! Number 10 jersey is with De Rossi, the AS Roma midfielder. Del Piero hasn't been a success at international level, I hope and pray that he turns the table upside down and scores tonight. He belongs to my favourite Juventus and has been an icon for the powerhouse club and so has my backing. Go Del Piero.....score.

Italia Italia Italia.... !

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    Germany is one of the favourites to win this tournament. Tonight they play their first game of the tournament...against Poland. There are many good players in this German squad but my eyes would be on Schweinsteiger, Podolski and Lahm. The German Gerrard (Schweinsteiger) is simply awesome with those kicks of his from 30-35 yards from goal. Ballack, I hope, does well...at Chelsea he's no more than a puppet...but does well in German shirt. Klose scores but his game is very boring. Frings could be treat to eyes as well. Podolski and Schweinsteiger are my favs in this German Squad.

Also... http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=688561

Forza Italia!!

Football i love this game even i like Cricket a lot but still watching football is amazing feeling, its full 90 minute adventure.
    And my favourite team is Germany i wish they won Euro2008 ,
    Michael Ballack is the reason why i like germany and offcourse Klose, Podolski , Gomez makes them favourite.:rock
    I wish they will win Euro cup 2008
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Sorry but Robinson dint play that game.....

Quote Originally Posted by fatehsingh View Post
    i was in birminhgam on that day(21st november)........people were really not so excited about the match as a draw was enough for the three lions to go the euro cup.....and the english team was in realy good form at that time...after winning three games in a row away from home.....but that silly mistake by robinson in the 5th minute of the match was a blunder.........and again in second half....do you remember the amazing goal of peter crouch on beckham free kick was the highlight of the match.........but the croats scored again in the second half and england lost 2-3......next day everyone was so sad....i still remember when people where singing god saves the english football....instead of queen.....